Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

How much promotional work does Onyx Path do for anything? I mostly only know about what they are doing from them promoting things with copy and paste updates on Kickstarters I have backed and from things people say here. Sometimes the odd book from a line I don't follow pops up on Drive-thru?

Is there anything more to Cavaliers of Mars other than just John Carter with the Glorious White Savior narrative swapped with something else? (I have to assume this is so). I honestly know almost nothing about it other than the broadest strokes, and it being the test run for the mechanical system games I already care about will use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
Cav wasn't a test bed - its system is all its own.

I think it's a case of Cav being owned by Rose's company and just published by OPP, same way they publish the Pugsteady games. But Eddy (who owns Pugsteady) is still one of OPP's inhouse devs, and Rose (who owns Cavaliers) isn't.

More Cav books are coming. I just don't know when

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Im vampire

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Cav wasn't a test bed - its system is all its own.

Oh, my mistake. I thought it was using the Storypath system.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Is there anything more to Cavaliers of Mars other than just John Carter with the Glorious White Savior narrative swapped with something else? (I have to assume this is so). I honestly know almost nothing about it other than the broadest strokes, and it being the test run for the mechanical system games I already care about will use.

Reading it, it seems to cleave closer to Dying Earth in terms of tone, although the pulp fiction influence from the John Carter series is quite evident. The basic system is picking a Motivation (For Honor, For Love, or For Self) with a Method (With Cunning, With Force, or With Grace) and then adding any incidental modifiers such as your career or lover or trusty flintlaser, and rolling a dice pool assembled from all that of varying sizes (for instance, your For Love might be a d10 and your With Cunning a d8) against a roll of 2-3 dice by the GM, with the highest two results from both being compared to determine whether the PC succeeds or fails.

It’s a nice little pulp setting for the most part. For the most part, it seems like the point is to have the players live out the last days of Mars in style. Have them go fight a witch-queen from Venus, rescue a player’s lover from the clutches of a cult attempting to sacrifice them to a failing atmospheric processor, or let them rob some rich merchant and duel his guards on the canals of Mars.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i've been very favorably impressed by the sheer breadth of game-running information in the cavaliers of mars book. write-ups with multiple statted npcs and story hooks for every named locale on the world map, you can potentially point to any stretch of Mars and have the material for some kind of story readily available from the start

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Does anyone know why the Gangrel are so underutilized? I hardly see them represented in any VtM media

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Blitz7x posted:

Does anyone know why the Gangrel are so underutilized? I hardly see them represented in any VtM media

they're not sexy

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Blitz7x posted:

The trademark for Gangrel is currently owned by the wrestler and they don't want to pay him to use it or associate it with whatever boner pills he's releasing.

Losing it because they edgelorded themselves into an international LGBT pogrom is the most destructive thing to the brand that Swedracula has done, objectively.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
I suppose that tells us which antediluvian is going to pop up and wipe out their entire clan next.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Gerund posted:

The trademark for Gangrel is currently owned by the wrestler and they don't want to pay him to use it or associate it with whatever boner pills he's releasing.

Losing it because they edgelorded themselves into an international LGBT pogrom is the most destructive thing to the brand that Swedracula has done, objectively.

I totally forgot he can call himself Gangrel again instead of "Vampire Warrior". Oh wrestling :allears:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Gerund posted:

Wait they lost it because of the controversy?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

I honestly assumed that was something I dreamed up because of how stupid it was.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
They lost the trademark as it relates to wrestling and related media; as far as I know, their trademarks as they relate to RPGs are unaffected.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Gangrel are supposed to be the vampires who are very much not talky and social and out politicking it up, except that's conservatively like 90% of what oVamp is. So basically...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

they're not sexy

It's this.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

They're also not like, tragic the way the Nosferatu are, even if they seemed to be proto-4chan posters (the Nosferatu, that is, if perhaps also the players.)

Maybe if grunge had had more staying power.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I guess I'm just a little frustrated because my DM is pretty conservative and literal when reading the source books and plays a haughty Malkavian prince who makes me bark and howl most of my lines because "if you wanna play a mangy dog you need to act the part". It's fine for the most part, but it gets pretty difficult to convey high concepts to the rest of my coterie and after a three or four hour session my throat is kinda raw

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

I guess I'm just a little frustrated because my DM is pretty conservative and literal when reading the source books and plays a haughty Malkavian prince who makes me bark and howl most of my lines because "if you wanna play a mangy dog you need to act the part". It's fine for the most part, but it gets pretty difficult to convey high concepts to the rest of my coterie and after a three or four hour session my throat is kinda raw

Are you sure this is an RPG session and not a BDSM scene?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

If they make you do voices, you are required to do the needful and arrange a horse ride, go hunting with them, or bake them a potato.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nessus posted:

They're also not like, tragic the way the Nosferatu are, even if they seemed to be proto-4chan posters (the Nosferatu, that is, if perhaps also the players.)

Maybe if grunge had had more staying power.

When the entire conflict of the game is 'vampire vs beast' making a major clan where their conflict is 'vampire vs beast...but more....' will never not be one of the weirdest design choices they made. Like, everyone else has other issues on top of the beast but with Gangrel it's 'the beast times two, also we kinda like it sooooo'.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Last night I was thinking about how much I missed Vampire and never really got to run or play in a Requiem for Rome game, and I had a Carpenter Brut song stuck in my head. What resulted from this in my hypomania was suddenly a way to reconcile it: What if Requiem for Rome, but neon cyberpunk?

Specifically, in the style of Shakespeare adaptations like Coriolanus and others, that transplant the plot in a modern context but keep all the same Elizabethan dialogue and references. So the culture, naming, and aesthetic stays but we replace it with a Shadowrun-esque take on Rome and the Necropolis.

Equestrian gangs on bike roam the countryside on the paved roads. Aqueducts and hydroelectric dam infrastructure is the key to a ranging corporate empire where the line between business, monarchy, and democracy is irrelevant. Destruction derby style "chariot" (hot rod) racing in the Hippodrome is the major blood sport, with Greens and Blues killing each other in the streets over their rivalries. Arcologies on the seven hills tower over more primitive, stone-and-brick tenements and slums. No cell phones, but pay phones and party-line "forums." Old Shadowrun style "decks" called "augurs" and replace "hacker" with "haruspex" giving it religious and magical overtones, using AR rather than VR as the major overlay.

For the vampire side of things, the Senex obviously gets a corporate/board feel. Obviously, the Cult of Augurs gets a hacker/technologist workover from the above, I would also go full Second Descent from the CoC book personally. The Peregrine Collegiate would fit in personally, and the Legio Mortuum could be more police than military, with riot shields and shock batons rather than testudos and gladiuses.

Cognomen even provide a sort of analogue to having street names and the like that are common in that fiction.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

Wait, the ST is making you do that or the Malkavian Prince is making you do that?

I can see the latter (though I'd say that kind of thing is subject to either a veto or at least, 'Hey Dave, I don't actually want to bark and growl, this isn't fun, can we handwave this?' )

The former would be pretty hosed up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Last night I was thinking about how much I missed Vampire and never really got to run or play in a Requiem for Rome game, and I had a Carpenter Brut song stuck in my head. What resulted from this in my hypomania was suddenly a way to reconcile it: What if Requiem for Rome, but neon cyberpunk?

Specifically, in the style of Shakespeare adaptations like Coriolanus and others, that transplant the plot in a modern context but keep all the same Elizabethan dialogue and references. So the culture, naming, and aesthetic stays but we replace it with a Shadowrun-esque take on Rome and the Necropolis.

Equestrian gangs on bike roam the countryside on the paved roads. Aqueducts and hydroelectric dam infrastructure is the key to a ranging corporate empire where the line between business, monarchy, and democracy is irrelevant. Destruction derby style "chariot" (hot rod) racing in the Hippodrome is the major blood sport, with Greens and Blues killing each other in the streets over their rivalries. Arcologies on the seven hills tower over more primitive, stone-and-brick tenements and slums. No cell phones, but pay phones and party-line "forums." Old Shadowrun style "decks" called "augurs" and replace "hacker" with "haruspex" giving it religious and magical overtones, using AR rather than VR as the major overlay.

For the vampire side of things, the Senex obviously gets a corporate/board feel. Obviously, the Cult of Augurs gets a hacker/technologist workover from the above, I would also go full Second Descent from the CoC book personally. The Peregrine Collegiate would fit in personally, and the Legio Mortuum could be more police than military, with riot shields and shock batons rather than testudos and gladiuses.

Cognomen even provide a sort of analogue to having street names and the like that are common in that fiction.

This owns a lot.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Mendrian posted:

Wait, the ST is making you do that or the Malkavian Prince is making you do that?

I can see the latter (though I'd say that kind of thing is subject to either a veto or at least, 'Hey Dave, I don't actually want to bark and growl, this isn't fun, can we handwave this?' )

The former would be pretty hosed up.

I'm a pretty new roleplayer (only played a little 13th age before this) so I'm not trying to rock the boat. I'm also new to the WoD universe and gangrel seemed like a vampire druid with sickass clawns and my character reflects that he doesn't know a whole bunch about the Camarilla society on his character sheet as flaws (to mask my irl ones).

But yeah its the ST making me, but luckily he doesn't enforce it ooc. They all kinda joke about it though "haha aren't you supposed to be barking". I guess I just don't know enough about WoD

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blitz7x posted:

I'm a pretty new roleplayer (only played a little 13th age before this) so I'm not trying to rock the boat. I'm also new to the WoD universe and gangrel seemed like a vampire druid with sickass clawns and my character reflects that he doesn't know a whole bunch about the Camarilla society on his character sheet as flaws (to mask my irl ones).

But yeah its the ST making me, but luckily he doesn't enforce it ooc. They all kinda joke about it though "haha aren't you supposed to be barking". I guess I just don't know enough about WoD

If you don't think it fits and aren't enjoying it, speak up. Bad gaming is worse than no gaming.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Blitz7x posted:

Yeah no that is extraordinarily weird. It sounds annoying at best and bizarrely powertrippy at worst. Does your ST keep you from bathroom breaks? Tell you not to breathe while you’re in char? Slap the burger out of your hand cause your humanity is too low for human food?

I would respectfully tell them to eat poo poo

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
One of the most erudite characters in the setting is a loving Gangrel. Sever.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

First question: Is this a LARP or a simple TT environment?

Second: You say it's the ST making you but he doesn't enforce it OOC. What do you mean by this? You mean like, you talk like a normal human and then he decides, 'actually that was all barking' or whatever? Still hosed up but less so than actually demanding you bark at the table.

Third: No, Gangrel don't actually work that way. This sounds like oWoD; Gangrel usually have some animal traits by virtue of their clan flaw but they are not actually required to behave like animals, like, at all. Even in nWoD Gangrel have some difficulty concentrating but that's about it, they are otherwise cognitively normal.

I think the original Gangrel clan flaw was, 'every time you frenzy, you pick up a minor animal trait'. "You can no longer talk and only bark" would be pretty major unless that's a flaw or something you took by accident at char gen, it'd be on your sheet if you did.

I could totally see a Malkavian Prince being all, 'I can't understand you when you bark!' or something like that but it would be an entirely IC affair because you wouldn't actually be barking, he would just be kind of an rear end in a top hat.

So your ST is literally saying you can't talk, you are always barking? Because there's nothing to back that up, at all. In fact, the Camarilla's preeminent historian is a Gangrel.

Loomer posted:

One of the most erudite characters in the setting is a loving Gangrel. Sever.

Beaten.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

GNU Order posted:

Yeah no that is extraordinarily weird. It sounds annoying at best and bizarrely powertrippy at worst. Does your ST keep you from bathroom breaks? Tell you not to breathe while you’re in char? Slap the burger out of your hand cause your humanity is too low for human food?

I would respectfully tell them to eat poo poo

Try not to judge the social interactions of the group without seeing them. Bad gaming is worse than no gaming, but I’m sure Blitz7x can find a happy medium. Maybe a voice changer or something if it’s a remote group? After all, the goal is for everybody to have fun. Maybe he could put on a dog onesie to get into the right headspace while playing?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Phobeste posted:

Try not to judge the social interactions of the group without seeing them. Bad gaming is worse than no gaming, but I’m sure Blitz7x can find a happy medium. Maybe a voice changer or something if it’s a remote group? After all, the goal is for everybody to have fun. Maybe he could put on a dog onesie to get into the right headspace while playing?

What the poo poo dude?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Phobeste posted:

Like the above guys mentioned it’s not even lore accurate.

You’d have to eat a lot of humanity losses and clean out a lot of stray dogs before I’d even be willing to come close to admit that a Gangrel took on such a severe affect

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Phobeste posted:

I hope you're just making a thoughtless and unpleasant joke.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Question for anyone still running cWoD:

So I haven't played old world in years. How do you all handle Malkavians these days? I know fishmalks are considered generally annoying, and most people acknowledge that Malkavians are borderline (or not really borderline at all) offensive to people with actual mental health trauma. But I had more of a practical question.

'Madness' as portrayed by the core just... doesn't work that way. Malkavians are built on pseudo-Victorian notions of affliction-states that are discrete from normal cognitive function. This wouldn't be a problem, but they can sense and interact with other people's 'madness' by way of Dementation. Lots of people have obsessive-based disorders (such as anxiety or depression) that involve intrusive thoughts, but it exists along a spectrum of distress that ranges from 'sometimes I worry about my wife dying' to 'I can't help wash my hands' and the game seems to assume that 'madness' exists solely along the upper band. And what about social disorders? That's a whole nasty can of worms that's probably best not to explore.

Basically what I want to know is, how do you run Malkavians when our understanding of mental health is no l longer moored in Bedlam?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I mean, all of oVamp runs on pseudo-Victorian ideas of affliction and morality.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Maybe not even pseudo-Victorian, the "gothic" in the description means more than The Crow.

Is it outdated and somewhat offensive? Yeah, like hell. But the systems are alright and the stories those systems generate are thematically consistent. I'd say to 1) have players of Malks use a more modern mindset to figure out how to portray their particular madness and then 2) use the cartoonish, Victorian version for Dementation and 3) use the cartoonish, Victorian version for humanity loss. So go modern, thorough, and sympathetic for PCs (or important NPCs) but roll with the anachronisms for minor NPCs and for humanity related stuff.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

I mean, all of oVamp runs on pseudo-Victorian ideas of affliction and morality.

Well yes, but only one of them relies on projecting that belief onto mundane humans. Like, yeah, Humanity and its virtue-set is sort of intrinsically Victorian but only the Malkavians require Victorian beliefs about mental states. The Nosferatu are hideous regardless but it doesn't necessarily mean anything to a mundane human, it's possible to explain away those disfigurements as standard part of the Nosferatu curse. As opposed to say, the outward expression of their soul.

Malkavians basically 'require' madness to exist the way Victorians imagined it in order to even make sense. Which is a comment on 'madness' itself and not on the Malkvians alone, since they can sense and interact with the 'madness' of others.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Maybe not even pseudo-Victorian, the "gothic" in the description means more than The Crow.

Is it outdated and somewhat offensive? Yeah, like hell. But the systems are alright and the stories those systems generate are thematically consistent. I'd say to 1) have players of Malks use a more modern mindset to figure out how to portray their particular madness and then 2) use the cartoonish, Victorian version for Dementation and 3) use the cartoonish, Victorian version for humanity loss. So go modern, thorough, and sympathetic for PCs (or important NPCs) but roll with the anachronisms for minor NPCs and for humanity related stuff.

That's all well and good but, even offense aside:

1.) How does the 'cartoonish' version of Dementation interact with modern sensibilities about mental health? How does Dementation affect someone with what we now think of as 'depression' or 'anxiety'? How does Dementation affect trauma? We now know people are not either 'mad' or 'sane', but rather are bundles of traumas and coping mechanisms that may or may not be damaging in day-to-day life. Someone with an addiction to their phone exists along the obsessive spectrum for instance, even though their behavior 'appears' perfectly normal.

2.) What about edge cases? Austism, aspergers? Developmental disorders? Are those 'madness'?

The problem isn't that Malkavians are offensive (they are) but rather the way the book handles mental health is so hopelessly outdated it doesn't even make sense to a modern audience.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 5, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Malkavian madness isn't a mental health affliction. It's a curse.

Our understanding of mental health today can draw parallels to conditions similar to malkavian madness, but it's like how Potence is analogous to someone being really strong.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Prometheans are admittedly not oWoD but they work on medical science from 400BC. It still allows you to undermine people's willpower by reinforcing their Melancholic Humor, increasing their production of black bile to alter their temperament until they're enervated and sapped of willpower.

'Occult' has a dictionary definition of "beyond the range of ordinary knowledge or experience; mysterious". As opposed to facts and science, it's supposed to be the immeasurable and strange. A lot of effects in the Of Darkness are not going to be sanely modeled. A vampire who's powers are filtered through a victorian lens, or a frankenstein running on ancient greek humors: You don't need to rewrite the medical textbooks to account for either, since they're both Occult things.

Or, in other words: poo poo's magic, yo. Don't worry to much about it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The best way to do Malkavians is to give them hard-to-manage psychic powers that give them hard to suppress mad prophet/ecstatic shaman vibes rather than by mandating each one flip the DSM-IV to a random page and then throw a dart at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still wanna play my Malkavian who thinks the Antediluvians were Aliens.