Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

cakesmith handyman posted:

This is incredible, my only issue would be finding enough matching cabinets to do the while kitchen. The elephant snorkel welding extractor is also a great idea but I don't know whether you could make both work together

So one of the worst houses I ever saw had a DIY kitchen where they just glued some cheap laminate over an equally cheap chest of drawers to make a kitchen island. I've wondered since if it would have worked better with more quality materials. Like if you had a nice old china cabinet/secretary with a detachable display case, could you hang the case for a cabinet and then nail the chest to the wall and put a nice marble or something on top for a counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

To hell with hiding it, revel in it.

Get an elephant truck/snorkel vent:

I smelt and cast molten lead sometimes and I'd really like something like this.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

The good fume extractors/cleaners for like welding indoors and stuff are expensive as hell. We paid something like $3000 for ours.

You can DIY something that will only exhaust fumes - basically like a shop vac but obviously you need it venting somewhere you also don’t want those fumes and hot gases/sparks probably would destroy a shop vac quickly.

Edit: ⚡️

stuxracer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 5, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

there wolf posted:

So one of the worst houses I ever saw had a DIY kitchen where they just glued some cheap laminate over an equally cheap chest of drawers to make a kitchen island. I've wondered since if it would have worked better with more quality materials. Like if you had a nice old china cabinet/secretary with a detachable display case, could you hang the case for a cabinet and then nail the chest to the wall and put a nice marble or something on top for a counter.

I've considered it for an island, although I'm much more likely to just buy a 4 x 4 wood-top from a kitchen supply house instead.

stuxracer posted:

The good fume extractors/cleaners for like welding indoors and stuff are expensive as hell. We paid something like $3000 for ours.

You can DIY something that will only exhaust fumes - basically like a shop vac but obviously you need it venting somewhere you also don’t want those fumes and hot gases/sparks probably would destroy a shop vac quickly.

Edit: ⚡️

Skip the shop vac and duct up a squirrel cage fan. That's how the dust extractor in my graddad's wood shop was set up.

Jack Donaheyyy
Jun 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/scarytoilet/status/1100908040931414016

This account has some amazing crappy construction material.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jack Donaheyyy posted:

Look your opponent in the eye!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If I’m sitting down I can finally pee where I am not pooping.

Jack Donaheyyy
Jun 9, 2013

GreenNight posted:

If I’m sitting down I can finally pee where I am not pooping.

kind of wish I could try this now tbh

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
dueling baños

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Jack Donaheyyy posted:

When I was nine, I went to an afterschool program in a building I'm pretty sure was a couple of double-wide trailers connected together with a small trailer as a "hallway" between, and then most of the interior walls ripped out. There were two bathrooms on each side. The boy's bathroom was a pretty standard single-occupant toilet with blue walls. The girl's bathroom was painted pink, and was also a big room with three toilets side by side with no stalls, staring into a long mirror.

I'm a ladygoon. I used the boy's bathroom a lot, even though I was terrified of being told off for using the "wrong" toilet.

Anyway, I'm glad to know the architect of that bathroom has gone on to have a fruitful career.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

RoboRodent posted:

When I was nine, I went to an afterschool program in a building I'm pretty sure was a couple of double-wide trailers connected together with a small trailer as a "hallway" between, and then most of the interior walls ripped out. There were two bathrooms on each side. The boy's bathroom was a pretty standard single-occupant toilet with blue walls. The girl's bathroom was painted pink, and was also a big room with three toilets side by side with no stalls, staring into a long mirror.

I'm a ladygoon. I used the boy's bathroom a lot, even though I was terrified of being told off for using the "wrong" toilet.

Anyway, I'm glad to know the architect of that bathroom has gone on to have a fruitful career.

Since commercial construction is my life, I guarantee that was designed to have typical commercial use stall partitions that were either dropped due to lack of money for them or specifically omitted by the client.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Since commercial construction is my life, I guarantee that was designed to have typical commercial use stall partitions that were either dropped due to lack of money for them or specifically omitted by the client.

And now I have further questions.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

RoboRodent posted:

And now I have further questions.

You can visibly pick out the center line between the toilet paper dispensers where a main panel supposed to go

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

We use these at my work:
https://www.surgimedics.com/laser-smoke-evacuators.html

They're pretty cool. They have all kinds of nifty attachment tools. The filters and tubing are reasonable (expensive, but not the end of the world). They have to be very close to your work piece (skin) but they are incredibly effective. I don't know if they can trap lead, but for other things they work amazingly well. You could call them and ask if it would work for casting, you never know...

If you're casting lead, you should really use a negative pressure hood and a mask. Maybe not cast in lead at all, ever. I know it's fun. I used to do it in college. We used a centrifugal casting rig that would let you cast pewter figurines really well. Maybe that's why I not think so smart so good anymores.

binhex
Aug 17, 2008

Devor posted:

Just label "Fire (Not suppression)" and move on

From the last page, made me lol

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

:golfclap:

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Oh, bra-vo!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

God drat it. I *just* got this now.

Well done.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
:nfpa:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
it's me I'm the crappy construction tale

(replaced all the doors and drawer fronts in the kitchen, which was a tedious pain in the rear end because no two cabinets were the same size, forgot to account for dishwasher handle when sizing this drawer!)

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

brugroffil posted:

it's me I'm the crappy construction tale

(replaced all the doors and drawer fronts in the kitchen, which was a tedious pain in the rear end because no two cabinets were the same size, forgot to account for dishwasher handle when sizing this drawer!)

Hello is this my house???? Except for me it’s the oven handle.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've seen video (probably linked from this thread) of drawer slides mounted at an angle so that as the drawer slides out it clears some obstruction. Of course this requires a drawer shaped like a parallelogram instead of a rectangle.

Comedy option: notch the dishwasher handle.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I don't think I've ever seen a dishwasher with a handle that sticks out. All the ones I've used have a car door type thing that also disengages the locking mechanism. How do you open that - just pull?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You gotta bathroom door hinge.gif that drawer.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Answer to the age-old question: what rhymes with orange spliff?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

AlternateAccount posted:

Hello is this my house???? Except for me it’s the oven handle.

It's hard to tell from the angle of that photo, but the dishwasher is actually installed slightly crooked. that's so it clears the handle on the drawer on the bottom of the stove when it opens :v: the previous owner put in a t-junction for the gas line behind the stove to run a line to the garage, so the stove doesn't push back far enough

temp solution is "open the dishwasher first," long term is to order new drawer face and door sized correctly.

also please ignore the ghastly floor tile

Jerry Cotton posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a dishwasher with a handle that sticks out. All the ones I've used have a car door type thing that also disengages the locking mechanism. How do you open that - just pull?

yes, just push/pull open. That's a frigidaire, and I remember at least KitchenAid had something similar. It matches the same handles on the stove, microwave and fridge.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

brugroffil posted:

It's hard to tell from the angle of that photo, but the dishwasher is actually installed slightly crooked. that's so it clears the handle on the drawer on the bottom of the stove when it opens :v: the previous owner put in a t-junction for the gas line behind the stove to run a line to the garage, so the stove doesn't push back far enough

temp solution is "open the dishwasher first," long term is to order new drawer face and door sized correctly.

My guess is that it was designed before the diswasher was bought and installed. My crappy apartment dishwasher is close to flush with the counter.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

brugroffil posted:

yes, just push/pull open. That's a frigidaire, and I remember at least KitchenAid had something similar. It matches the same handles on the stove, microwave and fridge.

It's all optioned - at least with Bosch you can just change a letter in the model number and get a recessed handle. (That after 5-7 years will snap the flimsy plastic bits that hold it together because rather than a release catch it's just pressure overcoming a spring/detent to open it making the door flex every time you open it. Because superior german adhesives.)

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Jerry Cotton posted:

More expensive models of dishwasher have the handle like that because it looks nicer or something I guess?

My setup is exactly like that pic. Only difference is my cabinets are dark stained wood, and only the corner of the drawer hit. The previous owner notched the corner of the drawer and you can barely notice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

brugroffil posted:

I wonder if there's an EU directive or something that says you have to have some sort of locking mechanism on a dishwasher/washing machine door so that babby doesn't pull them open.

H110Hawk posted:

It's all optioned - at least with Bosch you can just change a letter in the model number and get a recessed handle. (That after 5-7 years will snap the flimsy plastic bits that hold it together because rather than a release catch it's just pressure overcoming a spring/detent to open it making the door flex every time you open it. Because superior german adhesives.)

Maybe not, then :shrug:

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Get out of my house. This is my dish washer.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

I wonder if there's an EU directive or something that says you have to have some sort of locking mechanism on a dishwasher/washing machine door so that babby doesn't pull them open.

It's a hard pull to open it, hence the flexing plastic. It wouldn't surprise me if it qualifies as a locking mechanism.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

I keep telling you guys we've got to do something about these suicidal babies!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I just got a new pretty niche Bosch dishwasher a few months ago. Ours has the pocket door with the hidden controls on the top of the thing, but for the same price there was a version with visible controls and a pocket door, or a big handle with hidden controls. There was no cost difference, they were all about $1200 USD with zero difference between them. So it's just a preference thing rather than some indicator of what's nicer or not, at least in the US. Kitchen Aid was pretty much the same. I didn't look at other brands.

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
As requested
https://youtu.be/t1SOOpEXsjc

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

FCKGW posted:

suicidal babies

Redundant.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah but it’s a German company, so maybe the regulation exists and they’re just ignoring it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Not sure if this is the right thread but when contractors are building a wooden structure like a house or garage, how often do they typically reject lumber that’s way out of spec/warped or do they just lol and shove it all in? I’ve never had anything built new but I’ve seen plenty of garbage lumber in with the good. Not sure if it really matters or not tho.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread but when contractors are building a wooden structure like a house or garage, how often do they typically reject lumber that’s way out of spec/warped or do they just lol and shove it all in? I’ve never had anything built new but I’ve seen plenty of garbage lumber in with the good. Not sure if it really matters or not tho.

It depends on what it's being used for, and if your idea of what lumber generally looks like is the poo poo you see at Home Depot or Lowes that's not at all what good builders work with.

If, on the other hand, you are buying a development house or spec condo or other type of tract housing, whatever that has been "built" by a developer (actually a hundred of the lowest bidder subs) then yes, you are getting that. Except none of the good pieces you can pick through the pile to find at Home Depot......only the bad ones in any place where the local code inspector can't fail it for that and possibly more depending on how many shenanigans are going on (everything from being pad off to simply overwhelmed with too many inspections and not enough time to do them properly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

mostlygray posted:

We use these at my work:
https://www.surgimedics.com/laser-smoke-evacuators.html

They're pretty cool. They have all kinds of nifty attachment tools. The filters and tubing are reasonable (expensive, but not the end of the world). They have to be very close to your work piece (skin) but they are incredibly effective. I don't know if they can trap lead, but for other things they work amazingly well. You could call them and ask if it would work for casting, you never know...

If you're casting lead, you should really use a negative pressure hood and a mask. Maybe not cast in lead at all, ever. I know it's fun. I used to do it in college. We used a centrifugal casting rig that would let you cast pewter figurines really well. Maybe that's why I not think so smart so good anymores.

Thanks for this! I have been doing all of my lead work outdoors for ventilation, always with leather gloves and eye protection. I make fishing tackle so I generally don't work with large quantities of it at a time. Working with liquid metal is indeed fun, though!

Liquid Communism posted:

Skip the shop vac and duct up a squirrel cage fan. That's how the dust extractor in my graddad's wood shop was set up.

Could this work with lead fumes? Are lead fumes heavy gases? It seems like they would be, but I am an idiot lead-toucher and do not know things.