Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Blut posted:

The Erasmus program will always operate on a limited budget. So they can either: 1) pay a huge grant to cover rent in London or Paris, but as a result have to severely restrict numbers enrolled in the program to afford supporting smaller numbers of students to live in these most expensive cities in Europe. Or 2) pay a reasonable grant that covers rent in most European university cities, and offer it to vastly more people. Let people who want to pay more to live in very expensive locations opt to do so from their own resources.

To be clear, I started this by arguing for a massive increase in funding for Erasmus. And the grant should also be increased, somewhat. But arguing that the program should pay for students to live in some of the literally 10 most expensive places on the continent is ridiculous.

You're arguing around the point here. I'm specifically talking about students with poorer backgrounds being relegated to "less popular" courses and areas specifically because of the cost involved. Nowhere were either me or mortons making an argument that everyone would flock to the most expensive places. Yes, they would see an uptick, but to assume that these universities could facilitate all these students, is incorrect. Places will be limited, as I'm sure they are right now. Once those places are filled then people will spill over into other areas. This will also assume that people will go to these smaller institutions because they have a course that specifically relates to them.

By opening the system to those from poorer backgrounds you allow those from disadvantaged areas to access institutions that they would not be able to under any other circumstances, and it may (hard may) put those with means to attend courses in areas that aren't as glamorous, opening them up to different experiences. I admit, this is a utopian thought process, but why should we not aim for that?

Regardless, you are arguing cost when the EU is supposedly the third to fourth largest economy in the world. The length of the stay is usually one semester but is capped at one academic year. The EU has the funds or it can raise them. To assume their hands are completely tied when it comes to cost is blind to the reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Libluini posted:

Hopefully we can get our EU-army up and running before that happens.

I'm not sure why you want it, what you expect it to be able to prevent (a new war between countries?) but let me laugh at the prospect.

You won't have any truly meaningful measure taken to unify European defense until European countries become convinced that they cannot rely on the USA for protection anymore. Even the very limited babysteps we have now have been toned down compared to initial proposals by countries afraid that they would "compete with NATO", which sounds extremely stupid until you understand what they really mean by it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The EU may be as neolib as they come, but I vaguely remember hearing that the Erasmus is one of it's most successful programmes and that the commission like to increase funding for it, so maybe not all hope is lost there. Quite a few places offer additional funding as well.

Though arguably at least some of the cost should be borne by the participants when the cost of living during university is not otherwise covered, since it's rather unfair to those who cannot go on Erasmus for academic or personal reasons but could use the funding anyhow. A better solution would be some form of EU funding for low-income students in general.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

painted into a coroner posted:

You're arguing around the point here. I'm specifically talking about students with poorer backgrounds being relegated to "less popular" courses and areas specifically because of the cost involved. Nowhere were either me or mortons making an argument that everyone would flock to the most expensive places. Yes, they would see an uptick, but to assume that these universities could facilitate all these students, is incorrect. Places will be limited, as I'm sure they are right now. Once those places are filled then people will spill over into other areas. This will also assume that people will go to these smaller institutions because they have a course that specifically relates to them.

By opening the system to those from poorer backgrounds you allow those from disadvantaged areas to access institutions that they would not be able to under any other circumstances, and it may (hard may) put those with means to attend courses in areas that aren't as glamorous, opening them up to different experiences. I admit, this is a utopian thought process, but why should we not aim for that?

Regardless, you are arguing cost when the EU is supposedly the third to fourth largest economy in the world. The length of the stay is usually one semester but is capped at one academic year. The EU has the funds or it can raise them. To assume their hands are completely tied when it comes to cost is blind to the reality.

Yeah, spots are limited and selection is merit based. In the current system, this means that the system is only meritocratic upwards of a certain income line, and for everyone else, gently caress you, should've chosen not to be poor! You limit the spots in the popular places, maybe even offset it with more spots in 'peripheral' areas, that goes a long way to make the system more just.

E: I would also be agreeable to low-income support, as suggested above.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

mortons stork posted:

First off, good reading comprehension, really nice catching that whole 'it was not an issue for me, but I can see why Erasmus is problematic for non-privileged backgrounds.' I was thinking that ideas like 'the contribution should scale to cost of living' were fairly uncontroversial, since the point of having a free-movement programme, combined with the merit-based selection, would be that people actually get to choose where to go, instead of being free to move, but no, not there actually. That is what makes it a privileged-people thing, it's letting social class get in the way of actual full accessibility.

E: to catch the edit: the EU could stand to increase funding of the Erasmus programme, since it will literally the one thing standing between it and dissolution in a few years' time.

The EU could throw more money into the thing that is forming actual European citizens and shoring up its base of support for when push comes to shove and half of the states in it have gone full fash, or it could just neolib itself into oblivion. I know in my heart of hearts that they have already chosen, but it'd at least be nice to talk about how it could be done.

You jumped in here complaining about Erasmus being "retardedly expensive", so if it wasn't an issue for you then you described it rather poorly. And then compounded that by making completely factually incorrect statements like "300 eur/month doesn't even cover rent for a room in most university cities in Europe" and "300 doesn't cover full rent anywhere above the line of the alps". Which does make it sound like you just failed to actually research the cost of living anywhere in Europe before making your choice.

Scaling contributions to allow students to live in Barcelona, Paris or London is retarded, because all it will do is mean less people get to do Erasmus overall. If an Erasmus student wants to study in the UK, France or Spain (to use your examples of London, Paris and Barcelona) and experience the host nation culture they can still absolutely do so - simply by choosing lower cost of living cities in those countries. I listed a major university city for each of those countries with rent around 300euro a month, and there are plenty of others out there.

Again, it comes down to two rather simple concepts. 1) If you're a poor student, don't expect to move to one of the most expensive cities on the planet and expect to live comfortably without getting a job. And 2) better Erasmus funds 800k students per annum @ 300euro a month, than 300k students at 900eur a month.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Mortons literally listed Paris, Barcelona and "the most expensive country in the Eurzone" as his examples of places Erasmus should fund students to study in. And you're using Ireland as your baseline. So yes, exactly some of the most expensive places in Europe to live in.

You're arguing in favour of a "utopian thought process" for a program with an unlimited budget. How can you call anything blind to reality? In the real world, even with massively increased funding, Erasmus will always have a set budget. And by giving appropriate funding for participants to study in literally the most expensive locations on the continent, it will cost a multiple of others their places in alternative reasonably priced towns.

Reducing the numbers of students enrolled on the program massively (as would be required to fund cities like Paris or London adequately) would drastically reduce the number of people from poorer backgrounds enrolled, not increase their access.

There is no problem with "places being limited" in other universities, huge numbers of universities exist in towns where 300eur covers most, or all, of the average rent. The vast majority of universities in Europe operate in locations were funding of 500eur a month would cover rent. These are not "smaller institutions", or second-rate institutions. But this would still be too low for London or Paris, so is presumably an unacceptable level of support?

Blut fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 5, 2019

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Yes, there are reasons to fund Erasmus in expensive cities for low-income students, first of all due to the increasing importance of large cities as a global phenomenon. Another important reason to go to a large city is for opportunities - especially jobs and networks. There are much fewer of them in the smaller cities, and those opportunities are all fleeing to the larger cities. Again, leaving unaddressed how supposed high-merit students should be limited by their economic means is succumbing to the usual conservative class-gatekeeping.

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 5, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Forcing poor Erasmus participants to clump together in the poorer cities across Europe is secretly a brilliant scheme to produce an internationalist pan-European class conscious intelligentsia.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

fishmech posted:

Forcing poor Erasmus participants to clump together in the poorer cities across Europe is secretly a brilliant scheme to produce an internationalist pan-European class conscious intelligentsia.

literally emptyquoting fishmech itt who would've thought it

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

V. Illych L. posted:

literally* emptyquoting fishmech itt who would've thought it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm not sure why you want it, what you expect it to be able to prevent (a new war between countries?) but let me laugh at the prospect.
So that the next time some idiots try to invoke article 50 we can send in the troops.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

was expecting fishmech to take this shot actually

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

also i will laugh and laugh if you end up with a euro-army, on the condition that its working language is french

it would be the most eu thing

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Blut posted:

Mortons literally listed Paris, Barcelona and "the most expensive country in the Eurzone" as his examples of places Erasmus should fund students to study in. And you're using Ireland as your baseline. So yes, exactly some of the most expensive places in Europe to live in.

You're arguing in favour of a "utopian thought process" for a program with an unlimited budget. How can you call anything blind to reality? In the real world, even with massively increased funding, Erasmus will always have a set budget. And by giving appropriate funding for participants to study in literally the most expensive locations on the continent, it will cost a multiple of others their places in alternative reasonably priced towns.

Reducing the numbers of students enrolled on the program massively (as would be required to fund cities like Paris or London adequately) would drastically reduce the number of people from poorer backgrounds enrolled, not increase their access.

There is no problem with "places being limited" in other universities, huge numbers of universities exist in towns where 300eur covers most, or all, of the average rent. The vast majority of universities in Europe operate in locations were funding of 500eur a month would cover rent. These are not "smaller institutions", or second-rate institutions. But this would still be too low for London or Paris, so is presumably an unacceptable level of support?

Increased funding =/= unlimited funding. You make the argument that nearly everyone will flock to Erasmus when you might just see double the numbers. Lots of people just don't want to travel to a different country for college - they're homebirds, they don't care for the program, they already work in their home country, they have family commitments, ect ect ect. Nobody here is advocating mandatory Erasmus semesters, simply improving the conditions for those who wish to avail of the program as it currently stands. the Furthermore, nobody here is arguing that people should not go to smaller universities in less prestigious areas. The argument being made is that for some this could be their only chance to get a """respected""" name on their CV. Society should meet the needs of those most vulnerable in society first and foremost.

Personally, I'm tired of your argument that rent is the be all and end all when it comes to cost. I'm a student right now and all my bills are separate from rent. The cost of an apartment may be X amount, but does that include electricity, internet, heating, air conditioning, water, food, travel? Student loans they already have? For many students, the aspect of just getting a job alongside college is not ideal, and for many unworkable. That's before you factor in any potential language barriers.

I don't understand why you are so adamant that this is a harsh cost to the EU. Again, it is a powerful economy and can find ways of funding it. In "the real world" you can raise taxes, divert funding, lobby institutions to reduce rates for Erasmus students. You argue that there is just nothing we can do when there is a wealth of avenues the EU can take to address it.

fishmech posted:

I retract all my arguments nvm

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

also i will laugh and laugh if you end up with a euro-army, on the condition that its working language is french

it would be the most eu thing

I don't really like the EU that much but this would be the greatest thing since someone invented the Eurovision contest

:five:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
What if the EU army has different units with different languages and only all the officers need to speak French?

Austro-Hungary 2: Austro-Hungary Harder

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Just dramatically increase the ranks of the Foreign Legion with other Europeans. Ta-da, French-commanded EU army.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Nothing bad will come from providing France with cannon fodder to burn in African colonialist ventures.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

Nothing bad will come from providing France with cannon fodder to burn in African colonialist ventures.

They'll just do what the other governments do and buy more shares in Royal Dutch Shell.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Orange Devil posted:

What if the EU army has different units with different languages and only all the officers need to speak French?

Austro-Hungary 2: Austro-Hungary Harder

How many emperors are you going to send to Mexico this time?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rappaport posted:

I don't really like the EU that much but this would be the greatest thing since someone invented the Eurovision contest

:five:

The rage of the Germans alone would make my day.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Tesseraction posted:

What's that joke about heaven and hell? The Germans can provide the food, and the Italians the generals

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

You won't have any truly meaningful measure taken to unify European defense until European countries become convinced that they cannot rely on the USA for protection anymore. Even the very limited babysteps we have now have been toned down compared to initial proposals by countries afraid that they would "compete with NATO", which sounds extremely stupid until you understand what they really mean by it.

It's worth noting, btw, that for all their recent talk about Europe not pulling its weight, the US has also tended to throw its toys out of the pram whenever the EU talked too much about organising its own defence organisations. The US is in charge in NATO and that's the way they like it.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Sulla Faex posted:

What's that joke about heaven and hell? The Germans can provide the food, and the Italians the generals

I'd be at least somewhat okay with that if it were Bavarian food.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bavarian food is great tasting but there's a reason literally every adult man there is a loving barrel, and it's not just the good beer too.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

feedmegin posted:

It's worth noting, btw, that for all their recent talk about Europe not pulling its weight, the US has also tended to throw its toys out of the pram whenever the EU talked too much about organising its own defence organisations. The US is in charge in NATO and that's the way they like it.

they don't want europe to have functional militaries, they want europe to buy lots of expensive american toys

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

All part of the plan, you see. With the English committing national suicide, and the French too busy jerking themselves raw over their once again relevant language, no one will be able to stop us from burying every square centimeter of Europe under "Made in Germany" crap.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Increased funding =/= unlimited funding. You make the argument that nearly everyone will flock to Erasmus when you might just see double the numbers. Lots of people just don't want to travel to a different country for college - they're homebirds, they don't care for the program, they already work in their home country, they have family commitments, ect ect ect. Nobody here is advocating mandatory Erasmus semesters, simply improving the conditions for those who wish to avail of the program as it currently stands. the Furthermore, nobody here is arguing that people should not go to smaller universities in less prestigious areas. The argument being made is that for some this could be their only chance to get a """respected""" name on their CV. Society should meet the needs of those most vulnerable in society first and foremost.

There are over 20million students currently in the EU. Expansion of the Erasmus program from its current 800k particiants level is limited by funding for any foreseeable future, not by student enrollment numbers. Funding could go up by 300% and there would be no problem finding students to participate.

You literally argued for unlimited funding because "the EU is rich". Its not a realistic argument. Again, which current real world option of 300k students getting 900eur a month funding or 800k students getting 300eur a month funding do you think will result in more poor students participating in Erasmus? Because thats the type of funding allocation choice that administrators face. Its one or the other.

Limiting grants to a level that provides access to the most number of universities, to the most number of students, is the best way to help poorer students - by actually giving them an option to participate. "The argument being made is that for some this could be their only chance to get a """respected""" name on their CV" is absolutely ridiculous, because most of Europe's best academic universities are not concentrated in the glamorous high rent cities that are being used as examples, like Paris or Barcelona.

quote:

Personally, I'm tired of your argument that rent is the be all and end all when it comes to cost. I'm a student right now and all my bills are separate from rent. The cost of an apartment may be X amount, but does that include electricity, internet, heating, air conditioning, water, food, travel? Student loans they already have? For many students, the aspect of just getting a job alongside college is not ideal, and for many unworkable. That's before you factor in any potential language barriers.

I don't understand why you are so adamant that this is a harsh cost to the EU. Again, it is a powerful economy and can find ways of funding it. In "the real world" you can raise taxes, divert funding, lobby institutions to reduce rates for Erasmus students. You argue that there is just nothing we can do when there is a wealth of avenues the EU can take to address it.

The purpose of the EU Erasmus grant is not to cover living costs. They're assumed to be the same or similar as they would be in a student's home city (if they actually do research and pick reasonably that is, unlike some posters apparently), were they to be studying there anyway. ie something the student would have to cover either way. The grant is meant to cover the major additional costs incurred by participating in Erasmus - ie in most cases any rent the student now has to pay, that they wouldn't have had to pay previously if they were living in a parental home.

The Erasmus budget can, and should, absolutely be increased massively. That was what I stated in my initial post. However, my repeated point, has been that the increased funding would be far better used increasing the numbers of students participating rather than giving more funding to allow a smaller number of students to study in the most expensive locations on the continent.

The EU, and Europe, would be much better off with 3million students a year participating in Erasmus than 1million, even if funding that meant most of these students don't go to expensive capital cities.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Sulla Faex posted:

I think you'll find only the finest Dutch cuisine served in hell.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of European organization, guess which neoliberal idiot seems to believe people outside of Paris still give a crap about what he thinks?
https://www.elysee.fr/emmanuel-macron/2019/03/04/for-european-renewal.en

quote:

The European model is based on the freedom of man and the diversity of opinions and creation. Our first freedom is democratic freedom: the freedom to choose our leaders as foreign powers seek to influence our vote at each election. I propose creating a European Agency for the Protection of Democracies, which will provide each Member State with European experts to protect their election process against cyber attacks and manipulation. In this same spirit of independence, we should also ban the funding of European political parties by foreign powers. We should have European rules banish all incitements to hate and violence from the Internet, since respect for the individual is the bedrock of our civilisation of dignity.
The first part is reasonable, the second will be more difficult, and the third is outright impossible.

quote:

Founded on internal reconciliation, the European Union has forgotten to look at the realities of the world. Yet no community can create a sense of belonging if it does not have bounds that it protects. The boundary is freedom in security. We therefore need to rethink the Schengen area: all those who want to be part of it should comply with obligations of responsibility (stringent border controls) and solidarity (one asylum policy with the same acceptance and refusal rules). We will need a common border force and a European asylum office, strict control obligations and European solidarity to which each country will contribute under the authority of a European Council for Internal Security. On the issue of migration, I believe in a Europe that protects both its values and its borders.

The same standards should apply to defence. Substantial progress has been made in the last two years, but we need to set a clear course: a treaty on defence and security should define our fundamental obligations in association with NATO and our European allies: increased defence spending, a truly operational mutual defence clause, and the European Security Council with the United Kingdom on board to prepare our collective decisions.
Despite Brexit, he wants the UK on board.

What does he mean by "truly operational mutual defence clause"? TEU 42§7 doesn't work?

quote:

Our borders also need to guarantee fair competition. What power in the world would accept continued trade with those who respect none of their rules? We cannot suffer in silence. We need to reform our competition policy and reshape our trade policy with penalties or a ban in Europe on businesses that compromise our strategic interests and fundamental values such as environmental standards, data protection and fair payment of taxes; and the adoption of European preference in strategic industries and our public procurement, as our American and Chinese competitors do.
Yeah, that's just never gonna fly.

quote:

Europe is not a second-rank power. Europe in its entirety is a vanguard: it has always defined the standards of progress. In this, it needs to drive forward a project of convergence rather than competition: Europe, where social security was created, needs to introduce a social shield for all workers, east to west and north to south, guaranteeing the same pay in the same workplace, and a minimum European wage appropriate to each country and discussed collectively every year.

Getting back on track with progress also concerns spearheading the ecological cause. Will we be able to look our children in the eye if we do not also clear our climate debt? The European Union needs to set its target – zero carbon by 2050 and pesticides halved by 2025 – and adapt its policies accordingly with such measures as a European Climate Bank to finance the ecological transition, a European food safety force to improve our food controls and, to counter the lobby threat, independent scientific assessment of substances hazardous to the environment and health. This imperative needs to guide all our action: from the Central Bank to the European Commission, from the European budget to the Investment Plan for Europe, all our institutions need to have the climate as their mandate.
This Earth-shattering "NEIN" you just heard came from Germany, Europe's champion in coal-fired plants and pesticides.

quote:

Progress and freedom are about being able to live from your work: Europe needs to look ahead to create jobs. This is why it needs not only to regulate the digital giants by putting in place European supervision of the major platforms (prompt penalties for unfair competition, transparent algorithms, etc.), but also to finance innovation by giving the new European Innovation Council a budget on a par with the United States in order to spearhead new technological breakthroughs such as artificial intelligence.
If "regulating the digital giants" means crap like linktaxes and upload filters, it's not going to help European companies. And if it means taxing Amazon and Apple, you've got Ireland's veto.

quote:

A world-oriented Europe needs to look towards Africa, with which we should enter into a covenant for the future, taking the same road and ambitiously and non-defensively supporting African development with such measures as investment, academic partnerships and education for girls.
And this is where every other European country (except perhaps Italy, Spain, and Portugal) are running away at full speed, dismissing the whole thing as just more of France's neocolonial adventures.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Project Jupiter
A European-designed AI implements the Atlantropa project, unifying Europe and the African Special Economic Zone. The project is paid for by taxes on American tech giants, and reduces the need for intensive agriculture by opening up a lot of new farmland in the Sahara - on top of providing near-unlimited renewable power.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

This Earth-shattering "NEIN" you just heard came from Germany, Europe's champion in coal-fired plants and pesticides.

I think Germany with its promise to turn off all coal plants within two decades is actually well ahead of Macrons plan there.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

BabyFur Denny posted:

I think Germany with its promise to turn off all coal plants within two decades is actually well ahead of Macrons plan there.
On Jan 26, 2019: Germany to close all 84 of its coal-fired power plants, will rely primarily on renewable energy.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'll believe it when I see it

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Andrast posted:

I'll believe it when I see it
Sure, it's one thing to say and another thing to do - but before anything can be done, the people who're putitively in charge have to admit that there's a problem.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What are they proposing to use for their base load?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Germans are burning incredible amounts of natgas these days IIRC, because it's cheaper to buy and fuel a natgas generator for your industrial facility than pay for electricity.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Truga posted:

Germans are burning incredible amounts of natgas these days IIRC, because it's cheaper to buy and fuel a natgas generator for your industrial facility than pay for electricity.

Natural gas only accounts for 10% of their electricity according to this.

Wind: 27.6%
Brown coal: 19.9%
Hard coal: 14.4%
Uranium: 13.3%
Gas: 10.3%
Biomass: 7.5%
Solar: 3.5%
Hydro: 3%

Might be their solution is to buy electricity from coal and nuclear neighbours when the wind isn't blowing.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Gort posted:

Natural gas only accounts for 10% of their electricity according to this.

Wind: 27.6%
Brown coal: 19.9%
Hard coal: 14.4%
Uranium: 13.3%
Gas: 10.3%
Biomass: 7.5%
Solar: 3.5%
Hydro: 3%

Might be their solution is to buy electricity from coal and nuclear neighbours when the wind isn't blowing.

I like how that chart makes lignite brown coal look less scary than hard coal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Private Speech posted:

I like how that chart makes lignite brown coal look less scary than hard coal.

What are you considering "scary" in that chart? The brown coal is brown and the hard coal is black