Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Harrow posted:

This is why I'm nervous to learn how to tank :negative: I'm not at all confident enough in my game knowledge to know how to set the pace for a dungeon run

I should probably level DRK or something before Shadowbringers comes out so I'm not one of the annoying Gunbreakers who has no idea how to tank and is just flocking to the new shiny job.

No one truly cares if you single pull or mega pull as long as you aren't dithering around forever as a tank. It's fine. Tank how you want, no one will mind.

I'm a main tank who megapulls, but if I'm DPSing and the tank is taking it slow I shrug my shoulders and life goes on. Maybe they're new, maybe it's their first time in the dungeon. I typically single pull when I don't know the layout. It's all good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah, I'd agree that I had hoped RDM would have a bit more support orientation. That said, if you use your role abilities smartly and raise as often as you can to spare the healers the need to do so, you can play that role. I just wish it was viable for RDM to spot heal a bit more outside of complete emergency situations, but everyone says to never heal unless you're actively preventing a wipe (for my part, it's usually only healing a tank after raising the healer and waiting for them to get back up so I can mana shift them).

My classic view of RDM is very much a 1/3 BLM, 1/3 WHM, 1/3 WAR, as per FFI - jack of all trades, master of none. Tankier than the mages, can wear some heavier armor, but not as tanky as a true tank. Can use white and black magic, but doesn't get the best of either. I didn't care for the whole FFXI enfeebling gimmick, but I'll admit it gave them a fun niche to fill when combined with their two hour and refresh. FFXII is kind of what made me think of RDM as a potential tank though.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Can you add people to your friends list if they're playing the free trial?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Marathanes posted:

Yeah, I'd agree that I had hoped RDM would have a bit more support orientation. That said, if you use your role abilities smartly and raise as often as you can to spare the healers the need to do so, you can play that role. I just wish it was viable for RDM to spot heal a bit more outside of complete emergency situations, but everyone says to never heal unless you're actively preventing a wipe (for my part, it's usually only healing a tank after raising the healer and waiting for them to get back up so I can mana shift them).

My classic view of RDM is very much a 1/3 BLM, 1/3 WHM, 1/3 WAR, as per FFI - jack of all trades, master of none. Tankier than the mages, can wear some heavier armor, but not as tanky as a true tank. Can use white and black magic, but doesn't get the best of either. I didn't care for the whole FFXI enfeebling gimmick, but I'll admit it gave them a fun niche to fill when combined with their two hour and refresh. FFXII is kind of what made me think of RDM as a potential tank though.

There was never any chance of that happening however. FF14 is a solidly holy trinity design MMO and is unapologetic about that. RDM was gonna bend to FF14 if it was going to be implemented as a non-Limited Job, not the other way around.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if someone tells me to raise anyone except a dead healer I'm gonna demand the tank use hate combos out of spite

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
No doubt - I wouldn't have expected anything else, but I think thematically RDM could have been made into a tank job. Using white magic to buff (+ defense), debuff (slows, damage down) and absorb damage, black magic as the enmity grabbers, closers, AoE, etc..

Similarly, it could have been our first magic ranged support DPS, with little modification (it could be argued it already is the most supporty of the magic DPS).

Vitamean posted:

if someone tells me to raise anyone except a dead healer I'm gonna demand the tank use hate combos out of spite

You do you man. I like to be all over the place and do lots of different stuff. If you just want to make explode, I don't pay your sub.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
The only thing I can think of for BLM is making Foul work like dreadwyrm stance so after two fouls you can cast like super forbidden magic or something, but unless they combine enochian with Fire/blizzard IV (which should probably also be combined imo) that’ll be a lot of buttons

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

As a DPS player and also a tank player you should always ignore everything the DPS says about your tanking speed as a tank. gently caress 'em. You don't have to compensate for the fact that Dragoon is designed like poo poo. The only person you should listen to is the healer and that should mostly be regarding how comfortsble either you are tanking/healing big pulls.

Personally as someone who had tanxiety the best way to get over it is to just throw yourself into the really rough poo poo and learn. I busted my WAR chops on the Vault and Dun Scaith (as the main tank!) and now I no longer care what anyone thinks about my tanking!

I will say that I tend to pull two groups at a time even in content I'm not super familisr with because that seems the most reasonable pace everyone is equipped to deal with, but really, just do whatever is most comfortable for you.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Don’t JUST listen to the healer, if you’re uncomfortable tanking a lot of mobs at once then don’t. Tanks that aren’t used to it will panic and use CDs poorly and even a super geared healer can’t deal with that most of the time. That being said if a tank and healer are in sync then it’s the smoothest dungeon run you’ll ever have.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Vitamean posted:

Personally I like raising people, at least until I'm at the point where I can't do my rotation because I'm OOM and Lucid is on CD, and for that reason I do sorta dislike the pressure of being asked/expected to raise non-healers at times.

Also, on some level, I have to imagine raising a player is technically the biggest dps boost you can give to a group. :v: (Unless they're really bad.)

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Relax Or DIE posted:

So my question is: what is your experience giving advice to strangers in this game? Personally, I've been playing a while and given out tons of advice and I can count on one hand the number of times it was met with hostility. (I think they were all honest healers too, so.) My suspicion is that a lot of these stories are either exaggerated or the person gave advice like an rear end in a top hat, but maybe I've just been extremely lucky.

I don't give advice unless it's asked of me, or people mention they're new to content that frequently baffles new players, like the final boss of the Burn. There are a lot of people who are jerks about receiving criticism, even if you present it in a supportive manner. I generally take a more passive-aggressive approach and just decide outright, "Oh this person sure as hell ain't getting my comm." Then I just proceed through the dungeon to the best of my ability and try to keep my feet in line.

I was doing lots of the starter level 70 dungeons the other day, attempting for farm I300 gear for Eureka purposes. I ran into a ton of painful runs in that time, but my philosophy is generally that if other people aren't pulling their weight, I challenge myself to do even better. It's good practice for harder content.

Sometimes I have to learn when to raise the white flag though, which is generally in 24-man content. I joined an in-progress Orbonne last night (just before weekly reset...) and if I didn't need my weekly drop still, I'd have left after the first T.G. Cid wipe. You can explain content perfectly, but when you have enough people noticeably failing to do Duskblade circles this far into the patch, you have to draw the line somewhere for your own sanity. More people means more margin for error, and you have to go with your gut on whether to stick it out.

We only won thanks to DoTs. The boss had just entered a second Ice adds phase, and the full alliance didn't have enough people living to destroy the adds in time before the boss would become targetable again. It was a bit of a miracle, and would have been impressive if it weren't so pathetic.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I didn't even know it would do a second ice adds phase

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Harrow posted:

This is why I'm nervous to learn how to tank :negative: I'm not at all confident enough in my game knowledge to know how to set the pace for a dungeon run

I should probably level DRK or something before Shadowbringers comes out so I'm not one of the annoying Gunbreakers who has no idea how to tank and is just flocking to the new shiny job.

I too know this fear, and you just have to keep telling yourself that it doesn't matter. You set the pace with what you are comfortable with and don't sweat the esports meta where people feel you have to pull the entire dungeon at once. I'll take a 15 minute dungeon run where everything fires off well over a 5 minute run where my rear end in a top hat could compress diamonds from a lump of coal. If I'm not feeling a healer I'll even stay in tank stance sometimes.

Over time you get to know your limits and can start going by feel. You'll pull an additional pack here and there and be able to better manage cooldowns. It's already been said how some people panic and just go gently caress it, fire everything and blow every cooldown at once. Then you have 10 seconds of everything being fine, then you just insta gib when everything wears off at once.

Tanking is fun, even for a random group of strangers and doesn't need the added stress and expectation of he "GO GO GO" mentality. If you just want to muck about guilt free, you could always use the Command Group stuff in the barracks if you have that unlocked. Healing in there is hit or miss and you can kinda get a gauge on your pulls in certain dungeons. It's no substitute for the real thing, but it's there.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Harrow posted:

I had this problem and finally just dove in headfirst because dungeons generally don't have any actual complex mechanics. It's basically like playing DPS but you want everything to be trying to kill you instead of someone else.

Or at least that's my experience so far. I'll probably never raid as a tank because then I'll have to remember tank specific mechanics.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The coward YoshiP must remove Verraise.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Countblanc posted:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Countblanc posted:

replace verraise with versacrifice

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Countblanc posted:

The Assassination of Red Mage by the Coward Naoki Yoshida

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

I didn't even know it would do a second ice adds phase
Yeah, everything after the add phase is on a repeating cycle. Ask me how I know! :shepicide:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I had this problem and finally just dove in headfirst because dungeons generally don't have any actual complex mechanics. It's basically like playing DPS but you want everything to be trying to kill you instead of someone else.

Or at least that's my experience so far. I'll probably never raid as a tank because then I'll have to remember tank specific mechanics.

tanking is almost definitely the easiest raid role. you just do the poo poo everyone has to do plus pressing a button to not die every minute or so

source: I tanked until changing to healer in 4.4 and I am full of regrets/surrounded by corpses (SYNTHETIC SHIELD SEQUENCE WHY DO YOU DO SO MUCH DAMAGE AAAAAAA)

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The best thing about tanking is not having to worry about all those mechanics that target DPS.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’m finally on the singing clusters step for my HW relic. Poe is probably easiest but I’d need 2k and I don’t have that. Can I do the duty finder quests as any class or does it need to be the class that’s doing the relic?

Also what’s the fastest way to get clusters?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Harrow posted:

eh just do it

and say poo poo in chat while you do it. people are way less likely to scream at you if you've been talking at all. it's kinda spooky.

also the best response to dps pulling for you is to just start running the mob around a lot and out of any ground targeted aoes because if they want to make your life annoying gently caress em.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I am a nervous Tank because I'm not good with people getting angry at me, and I have a DPS mindset. Furthermore, I suck at grabbing adds.

That being said, I did Bardam's Mettle as a WAR in Augmented Shire gear without dying, and I feel good about that. Granted, I had to be careful about using my DPS stance for when the bosses were not attacking me directly.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I am a nervous Tank because I'm not good with people getting angry at me, and I have a DPS mindset. Furthermore, I suck at grabbing adds.

That being said, I did Bardam's Mettle as a WAR in Augmented Shire gear without dying, and I feel good about that. Granted, I had to be careful about using my DPS stance for when the bosses were not attacking me directly.

In my case the issue was not the bosses (Until the last one he is a right bastard) but the trash. Even on small careful pulls using my CD on... well, CD, my HP melted so fast.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

I’m finally on the singing clusters step for my HW relic. Poe is probably easiest but I’d need 2k and I don’t have that. Can I do the duty finder quests as any class or does it need to be the class that’s doing the relic?

Also what’s the fastest way to get clusters?

For this step, you can run them as any job, since the goal is to collect a stack of items. It's not a "do X dungeon as Y job" task like some steps.

There are two repeatable quests in Idyllshire that grant some Singing Clusters as rewards: "Seeking Inspiration" and "Cut from a Different Cloth". I believe they make you do certain roulettes. You can run these for some tomes and also get some clusters. One is repeatable daily and the other is weekly.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Sometimes I read things that make me wonder if people actually try being nice to people instead of turning on grit and thinking they need to tank their party members

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Squadron dungeons are the best thing for tanxiety, go unlock 'em

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

For this step, you can run them as any job, since the goal is to collect a stack of items. It's not a "do X dungeon as Y job" task like some steps.

There are two repeatable quests in Idyllshire that grant some Singing Clusters as rewards: "Seeking Inspiration" and "Cut from a Different Cloth". I believe they make you do certain roulettes. You can run these for some tomes and also get some clusters. One is repeatable daily and the other is weekly.

The weekly one is 18 clusters and the daily is 1 so I think I’ll just get the weekly and buy the rest with Poe, should be doable in a day or two.

How long does it take to do the light step? I assume you just spam an alex wing but idk which one

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Countblanc posted:

It should cost white mana. Also, SMN physick should scale off Int.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Tashilicious posted:

In my case the issue was not the bosses (Until the last one he is a right bastard) but the trash. Even on small careful pulls using my CD on... well, CD, my HP melted so fast.

Oh, don't mistake me. I struggle with trash mobs more than bosses. In that case I only meant that I was worried about switching out of tank stance because I thought the boss might two shot me or something.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

The weekly one is 18 clusters and the daily is 1 so I think I’ll just get the weekly and buy the rest with Poe, should be doable in a day or two.

How long does it take to do the light step? I assume you just spam an alex wing but idk which one

I haven't done that step yet so I don't know! :shrug: Hopefully someone else can answer that because I'm curious too.

There used to be a live Reddit thread doing light bonus tracking, but it's no longer in use.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think there's been some confusion/exaggeration with regards to shrie gear and Bardams. Aug gear is fine, it's equal to what you get from the previous dungeon, and anyone who expects people to go out and get crafted gear that you'll basically immediately replace is kinda silly.

The problem is likely un-aug'd gear (260) and tanks who try to pull wall to wall. At this point I don't really get why people wouldn't aug their gear, its almost a trivial amount of poetics. (At least, if you're swimming in poes from levelling with roulettes.)

I just finished levelling my tanks (and well, everything) and my tanks ended up being some of my last to level because of some similar nerves. I definitely had a lot of moments where adds slipped away from me (feels real bad,) and I had a bad pull or two that ended up in a wipe, but at the end of the day no-one actually got particularly mad.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Anima light grinding is quickest by scraping up 7 other players and running A1S unsynced over and over again.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
9s, but yes

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Don't worry about bonus tracking for HW relic light. Just check PF for an A9S light farm and plow through mechanics because you're a pack of level 70 bulldozers.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Minrad posted:

9s, but yes

Been a while since I did it. Back then A9S was too much for a PF party of randos.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
And if you play during the wrong time you can solo farm unsynced level 50 hard mode dungeons (eg. hardflox).

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
A9 is brute justice right, it’s been a while

At this point I’m pretty sure you can kill it before many mechanics kick in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The worst part about Shadowbringers is that I won't have an excuse for not finishing my Anima weapon because I'll be able to breeze through the level 60 dungeons solo as an 80 DRG