Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

flatluigi posted:

I don't know whether to tell you to go see exactly how many different things Tencent has invested in or to ask whether you boycott Google and Steam too

i'm very aware of how many things tencent has their fingers in, thanks for motoring over the other parts of my post though.

njsykora posted:

Tencent have their fingers in literally every digital distribution platform and a stake in roughly half the games industry at this point, but "Tencent is going to steal your credit card info for the Chinese government" is a solid new escalation on that scare tactic.

the laws that make it extremely easy for the CCP to collect data from its vassal companies are pretty new, and one of the proverbial straws that broke the camel's back on half of the world's governments getting super paranoid about doing business with chinese companies(/Huawei).

the shady poo poo the CCP does with data isn't new or interesting, what changed was the overt signals that they'd be stepping it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Not only is that hilarious but it doesn't matter if you're an American. A major credit bureau, something you can't opt out of, leaked everyone's credit information and suffered no repercussions from it. In addition, robo calls and spam are a part of daily life for millions of Americans because the FCC is doing little about them.

You can do what you want with your data but the notion that the biggest threat to its security is a free video game is wonderful.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Not only is that hilarious but it doesn't matter if you're an American. A major credit bureau, something you can't opt out of, leaked everyone's credit information and suffered no repercussions from it. In addition, robo calls and spam are a part of daily life for millions of Americans because the FCC is doing little about them.

You can do what you want with your data but the notion that the biggest threat to its security is a free video game is wonderful.

no you see it's different when it's being done by the scary foreigners

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I only trust my account information with respectable companies that use my computer to mine bitcoins without telling me

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

who said this exactly because it wasn't me

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yo just because a major credit card company hosed up doesn't mean you still shouldn't give a poo poo. That's awful logic :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah i don't remember saying any of this poo poo yall are just trying to get dramatic for whatever reason

equifax was super lovely and it's abominable that people weren't turned inside out for that horseshit. just, i'm not down to drop fresh and actionable data into a pipeline that is basically guaranteed to result in more spam, more scam attempts, and more bullshit headaches. if you are and you think the epic store giveaways are worth that hassle to you then fuckin more power to you man, that's a decision everyone has to make for themselves.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
China is threatening to release compromising screenshots from my Subnautica save unless i start mining bitcoin for them

please help me

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The fact that people have been reporting more emails from Epic reporting breakin attempts on their accounts even if they don't play Fortnite is enough for me to avoid the giveaways.

That and I already own all of the games on Steam :v:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Okay, this is Epic

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Good soup! posted:

I only trust my account information with respectable companies that use my computer to mine bitcoins without telling me

What companies and when did this happen? Sounds like a fun/horrifying story to read.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Donkringel posted:

What companies and when did this happen? Sounds like a fun/horrifying story to read.

I know that ESEA did for one. https://www.pcgamer.com/esea-accidentally-release-malware-into-public-client-causing-users-to-farm-bitcoins/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Donkringel posted:

There was a VPN that a bunch of Canadian goons were using to use the American version of Netflix.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Skwirl posted:

There was a VPN that a bunch of Canadian goons were using to use the American version of Netflix.

Hola unblocker

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Donkringel posted:

I remember one(at least) recent game did it, something from Capcom, I think?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Slime rancher is free on epic tomorrow, is it any good?

Grobbit
Jan 20, 2009

Donkringel posted:

I seem to remember Super Monday Night Combat doing something dodgy with buttmining in an update that pretty much sealed the deal on it's demise.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I miss Super Monday Night Combat. I feel like it was ahead of its time, if it was released in the current marketplace I bet it would be well received.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It had other issues, like the fact the player base tends to be either people who just started the game and the best of the best. Once you get out of the newbie status you're almost always facing a high ranking team who beats you over and over.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Grobbit posted:

I seem to remember Super Monday Night Combat doing something dodgy with buttmining in an update that pretty much sealed the deal on it's demise.

They straight up started a "mine bitcoins for us....get SMNC funny money in return!!" scheme.

And it's not just that the playerbase was all or nothing in terms of skill, the top tier players would literally organize newb stomp events right on the official forums. That community reached new heights of sheer toxicity.

IMO the game was also an unbalanced mess.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I played Monday Night Combat an hour or two. I tooled around the training level, thought it looked fun and friendly, then joined what I thought was a noob friendly server and just got destroyed. I've played this 'game' before, where the skill mismatch is its own brick wall. Didn't know they started a bitcoin mining thing, that's just gross.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Breetai posted:

Slime rancher is free on epic tomorrow, is it any good?

It's really good, one of those "I should do this one more thing oh no why is it dark outside I should've eaten 3 hours ago" games.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Slime Rancher is now up for free on the Epic Game Store and looks like Oxenfree is the next free game on the 21st

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Basingstoke by Puppygames is free, but only the Linux version: https://puppygames001.itch.io/basingstoke/devlog/70568/basingstoke-is-now-free-for-linux

No need for a creepy unfamiliar game store app, but instead you will need to install a free linux of choice instead. Yospos bithc.

Other games by the same dev to follow, such as weird tower defence game Revenge of the Titans.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Crackdown 1 & 2 are free on the Xbox 360 and Xbox One (both are BC now), agent.

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/Product/Crackdown/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307dc

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Crackdown-2/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5308bc

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Grid 2 and the Bathurst and Spa DLC tracks are free through the Humble newsletter right now. It's my least favourite of the Grid games but still a solid racer.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/grid2-spa-bathurst

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

some poo poo came up today about EGS that you guys should probably be aware of since they are giving away so many free games:

Rinkles posted:

Epic Games Launcher collects your steam friends & play history

I tried to replicate [reddit findings] and found out that Epic Games Launcher on start up searches for Steam install
    and proceeds to get list of files in your Steam Cloud (this includes mostly game saves for every user that has logged in on your PC)

Steam Cloud is stored under userdata\[account id]\ if you wanna check

It will also create encrypted copy of config\localconfig.vdf.
    This file contains your steam friends, their name history (groups you're part of, are considered "friends").

It seems friends might be used for friends suggestions, but I don't even use that feature and it collects more than that.

While it's called "localhistory" it is synced from cloud

Play history, will contain last playtime.

(as before, this isn't opt in)

as i said before, the level of data you are giving away to EGS is much, much higher and their methods are far more aggressive than most storefronts and even data warehousing joints like indiegala. if you're comfortable with that then no judgment still (i really don't want this to turn into another stupid poo poo-i-never-said derail) but i think it's important to know what you're buying these free games with.

e: video proof has shown up in case someone doubts the report:
https://twitter.com/_s_t_r_e_l_o_k/status/1106341025109299200

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 15, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey Coolguye thanks for caring about us.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They've responded to that since it came up saying it's a bug in their implementation of Steam friend list importing which they rushed to implement when Fortnite first started blowing up and it's getting fixed. It's apparently only meant to access the localconfig file if someone decided to link their Steam friend list, but it wasn't making that check.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
They also stated that not a single shareholder (Tencent for example) has access to data, just Epic. You can believe that or not.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Honestly, with the amount of AAA level free game I am getting bi-monthly, it worth more than whatever they got from me and the hassles.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Does anyone want a copy of my Steam friends list? I'll just give it to whoever, no need to be sneaky about it.

Also I know this doesnt technically count but Two Point Hospital is doing a free weekend right now.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nyaa posted:

Honestly, with the amount of AAA level free game I am getting bi-monthly, it worth more than whatever they got from me and the hassles.

I'm happy to get free titles from the Epic Launcher, but I don't think there's been a single AAA one...

Jackbox 1 and some indie darlings. Nothing to sneeze at, but the type of stuff you'd get for a few bucks (if not free) in Humble Bundle.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Probably the wrong thread to say this in, but I'm actively avoid free games unless it's something I really want to play. I managed to (mostly) defeat my backlog, I don't want it resurrecting.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mordja posted:

Probably the wrong thread to say this in, but I'm actively avoid free games unless it's something I really want to play. I managed to (mostly) defeat my backlog, I don't want it resurrecting.

It does not count as a backlog if it is on another launcher or platform, you're starting from scratch!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Tacoma free on Humble for a bit.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/tacoma

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

No Steam key, just a downloader. :smith:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

saving the torrent file you can opt to use instead of a direct download should work as a redownload service for the foreseeable future.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

It also seems to add it to your humble account library, so I'm assuming you can redownload from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
You guys are complaining about DRM-free installers now?

Gonna send these posts back in time to Steam circa 2004.