Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've got a one-shot tomorrow. Is there any kind of barbarian grappler build that will be worth a drat at level 5 rather than 6? I feel like the multiclass shenanigans don't pay off when I don't have multiattack because it's offset a level.

Simic Hybrid can have a total of 4 arms at level 5, and can grapple with all of them :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sion posted:

Alas, we start at level 1 and things cap out at level 10 because no one likes running for higher than level 10s.

I'm in two games right now, in one game we're level 13 about to hit 14 and in the other game we're level 25 (with some hilariously unbalanced homebrew stuff for epic levels). High-level, high-power play can be pretty amusing and fun, no idea why it isn't done more often. Surely there are long-time players out there that are tired of running the first five levels over and over.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Evard's Black Tentacles question:

5E on Evard's posted:

Squirming, ebony tentacles fill a 20-foot square on ground that you can see within range. For the duration, these tentacles turn the ground in the area into difficult terrain.

When a creature enters the affected area for the first time on a turn or starts its turn there, the creature must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 3d6 bludgeoning damage and be restrained by the tentacles until the spell ends. A creature that starts its turn in the area and is already restrained by the tentacles takes 3d6 bludgeoning damage.

A creature restrained by the tentacles can use its action to make a Strength or Dexterity check (its choice) against your spell save DC. On a success, it frees itself.

... and ...

5E on Restrained posted:

Your speed becomes 0, and you can't benefit from any bonus to your speed.

You have disadvantage on attack rolls.

Attack rolls against you have advantage.

You have disadvantage on Dexterity saving throws.

The way we have been playing it is as soon as the spell is cast, everyone in the affected area makes a saving throw. But that then led to characters who had made their saving throw once the spell was cast having to make an additional saving throw once their turn started, and that just seemed off to us.

Should we have not had characters make their initial saving throw until the start of their own turn? How do others play this?

Secondly, to escape the tentacles, if a character uses DEX, my understanding is that it's a DEX check, not a saving throw, and therefore you would not have disadvantage, but you would also not get your proficiency bonus to a DEX saving throw, nor would you get your proficiency bonus to Acrobatics like you would if you were escaping a grapple.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

... and ...

The way we have been playing it is as soon as the spell is cast, everyone in the affected area makes a saving throw. But that then led to characters who had made their saving throw once the spell was cast having to make an additional saving throw once their turn started, and that just seemed off to us.

Should we have not had characters make their initial saving throw until the start of their own turn? How do others play this?

Secondly, to escape the tentacles, if a character uses DEX, my understanding is that it's a DEX check, not a saving throw, and therefore you would not have disadvantage, but you would also not get your proficiency bonus to a DEX saving throw, nor would you get your proficiency bonus to Acrobatics like you would if you were escaping a grapple.

In a rush but go read this as it directly addresses some of your questions: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-april-2016

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
SKT recommends reading the entire book before attempting to run it

I shouldn't actually do that, should I?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

inthesto posted:

I’ve never run a book without reading it cover to cover first but ymmv.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

inthesto posted:

You can skip much of chapter 3 - it's a list of locations and you can use them for inspiration but your party will not go to nearly all of them, it's more like a setting reference than material you need to run this. Additionally, if you pick a giant lord or three to focus on, you don't need to read the big stronghold chapter for the ones you aren't. There are also 3 big setpiece starter encounters, so you don't have to technically read all of them, but I suggest doing so and deciding which one you like best.

You should also read this guy's guide!
https://www.dmsguild.com/product/193601/A-Guide-to-Storm-Kings-Thunder

How are you starting the campaign? It includes a starter adventure that gets the party to level 5 super quickly, and maybe your group will dig that, but I kinda regret having levels 3-5 go so quickly - those are some fun levels.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 5, 2019

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Kaysette posted:

Agree. Helps immensely with pulling off proper foreshadowing, especially if you wind up tweaking/wholesale changing later details and need to set that up beforehand

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I've only read the introduction and summary so I haven't really dug into the meat of the book yet, but I've heard both from this thread and reviews elsewhere that the first chapter of the book seriously lacks direction. Most likely, I'm just going to have the players make characters at 5th level and drop them straight into chapter 2.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I only played SKT and haven't run it but we did A Great Upheaval pretty much as written since it was an AL table. Nightstone and the caves were pretty straightforward and a decent introduction to the cloud giants being dicks. We enjoyed the part with Zephyros too and using his castle until you get a flying ship later negates some of the issues with zipping all around the Sword Coast. You could start em at level 3 and do what you want of chapter 1 so that 1-5 don't go by as fast?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

inthesto posted:

I've only read the introduction and summary so I haven't really dug into the meat of the book yet, but I've heard both from this thread and reviews elsewhere that the first chapter of the book seriously lacks direction. Most likely, I'm just going to have the players make characters at 5th level and drop them straight into chapter 2.
I think doing chapter one is better than this - it sets the scene reasonably, it's just short. I wish I did something longer and more drawn out, not less. Zephyros appearing out of nowhere is a bit silly and railroady but my players liked him as a character and had fun with the journey.

Also I was pouring over my players' notes the other day and noticed they wrote "knightstone" and I had never clarified. I dunno if I have the heart to correct it now.

If you do start in chapter 2, 100% start in media res in the middle of the attack on the town. As written the chapter starts with the players farting around town, delivering a message or something, which is fine for an established campaign, but it's a missed opportunity if you don't open in the middle of the chaos.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 5, 2019

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

... and ...

As far as I know:

Yes, you should not have characters make their initial saving throw until the start of their own turn. Until then, they have neither started their turn (naturally) nor entered the square (the square came into existence around them, they didn't enter it).

Yes, it's a Str/Dex check, not a saving throw, presumably to avoid the situation where Dex-based characters have disadvantage and Str-based characters don't.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kaysette posted:

Yeah, especially for when those sneaky professors put "The treasure is actually in the bar your party starts in, don't need to run the campaign!" as the last page of the module

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
The treasure was the experience you earned along the way

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Finally, my weekly Waterdeep Heist has come to an end. Thank gently caress.

It ended as it began, poorly.

Our cast of characters (all level 5 single class):
Vhuman Paladin w/ Weapon Master
Halfling Assassin
Halfling Fighter
Yuan-Ti Celestial Warlock
Nim the Nimblewright

So, we ended last session trying to leave the Vault. Now, please remember that nobody at WotC ever read, edited, or playtested this content. This explains why there's rules for what happens if you close the Vault door, which is not something you can actually do at any point before you get ambushed on the way out.

So, of course, with our "gently caress the players" DM, he drags us haphazardly onto the R20 map, puts us all in the worst possible positions, and we are on to initiative.

Lined up on the other side of the field are: 6 bugbears (6xCR 1), a Gazer (CR 1/2), a drow Wizard (CR 7), and a Grell (CR 3).

According to the DMG, a deadly encounter for 6 level 5s (the Nimblewright is actually CR 4 but let's keep in simple) is 6,600 xp. This group is, as written, 12,250xp.

Our Fighter player is absent and is played by the Assassin and the Nimblewright gets played by the Paladin.

The climactic fight of the entire hardcover (against a bunch of no-name scrubs we've never heard of) plays out as follows:
The Assassin just keeps plinking away with a crossbow from behind a column, basically forever.
The Drow Mage proceeds to Greater Invis and we never see him for the rest of the fight as we have zero ways to deal with that.
The bugbears all bum rush me (the warlock) because we are all horribly out of position thanks to DM fuckery and because the DM just can't stop getting his rocks off to flanking.
I fire up Cloak of Flies and Drop a Summon Lesser Demons which turns out to be a 10+ minute side adventure of the DM trying to get 8 demons dropped into place on Roll20, while giving me the stink eye the whole time.

Now the fighter is up. It's at this point that I remember that in all the weeks we've been playing, I've never seen the fighter or paladin do any subclass stuff, ever. So, with the Assassin at the helm, I have to ask and I get confirmation that the Fighter has never actually selected a subclass, so the DM just assigns it Champion on the fly because there's minimal overhead. I still don't know about the Paladin, but I was afraid to ask.

The fighter proceeds to basically sit in place plinking away at 1 bugbear per turn for the entire rest of the fight. It takes about 3 turns of begging for him to finally wander over to me (he's protection spec) because everyone except me is deathly afraid of opportunity attacks and won't ever take one, even if it means they are in the worst possible position. They never even move to flank. FOR FUCKS SAKE.

The nimblewright copies the fighter and just stands in place plinking at bugbears.
The paladin just sort of weakly pokes at things with a Halberd. He's not a polearm master or anything, and he doesn't ever attack anything non-adjacent, or move, or flank, or... anything but 2 weak slaps and usually misses because somehow he's still behind the curve on to-hit despite having dumped INT and DEX (and probably WIS).

Because we couldn't actually see half the enemies, it turns out my whole demon swarm all just piles on 1 lone bugbear and everything else just walks away from them to surround me.

The Drow Mage drops a Shadow Demon on us and the DM starts licking his chops because he's really super intent on killing us off before the HC ends.

This, of course, is all according to keikaku (keikaku means plan). I drop Daylight (which somehow isn't actually daylight) on our Paladin, pump some healing into our fighter and brace for impact.

The DM has a big turn of Warlock murdering planned and charges me with the Grell only to find out I packed Tomb of Levistus and he's so frustrated by this he just gives up on attacking me altogether. I do, unfortunately, find out that Tomb and Cloak are an anti-combo which makes me super sad.

So, with the Shadow demon at permanent disadvantage, the martials all just slowboating the bugbears, and me completely out of tricks, the DM just decides to start spamming Lighting Bolt every turn on us from the invisible wizard, which I guess is a thing you do, but kinda sucks because there's no counterplay and it's basically more dps than our entire party.

Eventually the big pack o' demons chews through the single bugbear they focus fired, but it doesn't matter because while all the enemies have been moving every turn, the party hasn't, so they are all now in the demons path, so I have to drop concentration after killing all of a single bugbear. Also, we got into another player vs. DM argument because he's like "Dretch fart cloud sucks. I don't see any reason to ever use it. It doesn't do anything" and I have to explain to him all the things it actually does and why it's good and he gives the biggest exaggerated sigh before dropping one.

The fighter eventually goes down having not used his protection stance once. The paladin immediately rushes over and dumps 100% of his Lay on Hands pool into him. FOR FUCKS SAKE.

The bugbears and grell finally go down, I get lightning bolted into the ground, the paladin upcasts cure wounds to get me up. I pick up the fighter who is down again and start just hauling rear end because my cantrips aren't worth it and...

The friendly reinforcements show up after like 5 rounds. I think they are supposed to be there from the start to balance things but, this is our life now. Also, the wrong ones show up because the DM can't remember which factions we are, so we have to back out and restart with the correct ones.

Then, finally, after it doesn't matter at all anymore, paladin finally remembers that he's a paladin and that nobody else can even hurt the demon so he double smites it for eleventy billion damage because it's a fiend and vulnerable to radiant and the whole party turns to him and go "WHY DIDN'T YOU LEAD WITH THAT???"

So, we then get told we get some money or poo poo and told that we give basically all of it away and then our characters retire to a farm upstate or whatever because nobody gives a poo poo about the ending or our characters and we're all well past done. (also because the ending as-written sucks massive poo poo).

Finally, after 10,000 years I'm free from this lovely hardcover and this menace of a DM and this group who never cared. My work here is done. I regret everything. But if I can leave you all with one bit of wisdom: Don't play or buy Waterdeep Heist, it is poo poo.

PS: Somewhere along the last fight we got introduced to new movement rules that the DM swore were in place all along (and weren't, not even at all points of this night/fight) that apparently the first diagonal movement on the grid is 5' but each alternating diagonal movement is 10' which made me just about walk away mid-fight because I could not fathom a rule that dumb.

Namaste

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The 5/10 movement is how we've done it since 1st ed and was the actual rule till at least 3.5/pf

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Azhais posted:

The 5/10 movement is how we've done it since 1st ed and was the actual rule till at least 3.5/pf

I just got told this in Discord, but it seems especially bad in 5E since there's no move action and you can just break up movement all day. (Also the fact that we've been playing this hardcover for months and it never came up until the last half of the last session of the whole thing.)

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I’m a major fan of hexagonal grids for avoiding all that weirdness.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Besesoth posted:

As far as I know:

Yes, you should not have characters make their initial saving throw until the start of their own turn. Until then, they have neither started their turn (naturally) nor entered the square (the square came into existence around them, they didn't enter it).

Yes, it's a Str/Dex check, not a saving throw, presumably to avoid the situation where Dex-based characters have disadvantage and Str-based characters don't.

I chatted w/my friend, the DM, about this a bit tonight, and he seems to have also been discussing it with his girlfriend (the cleric in our party) after our IM exchange earlier in the day, and hoo boy ... did this turn into a bit of a can of worms.

His primary concern is that if the initiative order goes NPC wizard, party cleric, affected PC, then RAW would mean that the NPC wizard could cast the spell, the party cleric could cast dispel magic, and then the affected PC doesn't even need to make a saving throw and a 4th level spell was trivially negated.

I suggested that we could house-rule that the effects occur immediately, but that affected creatures wouldn't have to make an additional save upon the start of the turn as they've already done that. This would allow the damage at least to apply to those that failed their saving throw, and if the scenario of the cleric casting dispel magic, that at least the spell has had some affect.

We then pointed out how the affected characters would be able to use their action on their turn to attempt to break free, and he felt that it was unfair that someone could try to break free of an effect in the same round that they had failed their save to avoid that effect.

I argued that pretty much any other effect behaved that way ... if my character uses shove to knock someone prone, they don't lose their turn, and can stand up as soon as its their turn at the cost of half their movement, but at that point, I think I started to get the vibe that the conversation was verging on getting a little too adversarial and at the point, I just switched topics to something unrelated to the game.

I definitely don't want the game to turn into a rules squabble, and I've avoided some areas of disagreement (for example, he doesn't think that rogues should be able to get a second sneak attack per round with their reaction), so I haven't pressed that issue, partly because my swashbuckler is already the highest DPS in the group without that and don't want to further exasperate the optimization imbalance with the rest of the party.

I think that since we've been trying to rapidly tie up a lot of plotline loose-ends, most of the past few sessions have been 1-2 epic battles between the party and named PCs who have been recurring antagonists and the DM has a world he's been running since his teens that maybe we're just experiencing natural conflict from opposing sides being very invested in their characters and having ideas on how potent they should be and feeling resentful when certain abilities or encounters are countered easier than expected.

The fight with the wizard who was casting Evard's Black Tentacles included my swashbuckler jumping off a balcony to gank the wizard who had just riskily sent his skeletal warrior bodyguards up the stairs to engage the party. One natural 20 and a 37 point sneak attack later, and we had (or so we thought) just ended the big boss fight early.

We mopped up the rest of the undead, making some decisions that were more for fun than strategy (such as jumping from the ground floor up to the balcony while yelling "Parkour!" each time we rolled for an Athletics check), and I noticed that the DM kept making an extra roll during some of the NPCs turns.

I assumed at the time that he was rolling to see if the undead minotaurs that had been turned and ran out the door were engaged, stopped, turned around, etc, but no ... suddenly the wizard that my character had dropped stood back up, wheeled around, and got 5/6 of our party in a cone of cold, dropping 3 of us. Luckily the cleric was the one not in the cone, ran over, cast Prayer of Healing, and the monk sprinted out and took out the 1 HP the wizard had left. The DM had been rolling death saves for the wizard, and he succeeded all 3 rounds, stood back up, and tried to get one last bit of revenge. It made for a hilarious bit of tension after we thought the fight had gone into mop-up mode after my character dropped the wizard.

Anyway, this is a bit of a ramble, but I enjoy our group and wouldn't mind some advice on balancing when to say "well actually .." vs just rolling with what the DM wants, especially given that absolutely none of us have played 5e before this, and our most recent experience before this would be the DM and several others playing 2e, and me playing Pathfinder.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Toshimo posted:

Finally, my weekly Waterdeep Heist has come to an end. Thank gently caress.

It ended as it began, poorly.

Tomb of Levistus renders you incapacitated, so drops your concentration.

Toshimo posted:

I just got told this in Discord, but it seems especially bad in 5E since there's no move action and you can just break up movement all day. (Also the fact that we've been playing this hardcover for months and it never came up until the last half of the last session of the whole thing.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
My group recently finished Dragon Heist and a good time was had by all. It's a shame it was not the same for you Toshimo. Though from everything you have said, I blame your GM rather then the module.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh man, please keep posting about your experiences. I'm also in a DMM campaign, recently started, just a bit ahead of you (we explored half (?) of floor 1 before getting a compelling reason to go to floor 2 early) so I'm interested in hearing how other parties deal with stuff. My party has me as a goblin cleric so most encounters with goblins tend to devolve into killing whoever is their boss for the moment and me convincing the enemy goblins to stop fighting.

Will post session 2 details soon.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 6, 2019

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

His primary concern is that if the initiative order goes NPC wizard, party cleric, affected PC, then RAW would mean that the NPC wizard could cast the spell, the party cleric could cast dispel magic, and then the affected PC doesn't even need to make a saving throw and a 4th level spell was trivially negated.
Not a 5E player, just happened to be drifting by this thread, but this doesn't seem like much cause for concern. Dispel Magic isn't free, you've made the cleric spend an action they could have used to do something more proactively useful, and you've also made them spend one Dispel Magic they might be missing later. And it might not even dispel the tentacles.

I'm assuming a few things about how spell slots work here.

Or here's a novel thought: cast that poo poo on the cleric. Or delay the wizard's turn until right after the cleric's, if delaying is a thing. Your DM's got sufficient options to make this go bad for you without having to make houserules specifically.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

To be clear, the 5e PHB says every square of movement only costs 1 square/5 feet, even when moving diagonally. This is the standard 4e used, for ease of play.

It's the 5e DMG that recommends a movement cost of 1 square/5 feet for the first diagonal square, then a cost of 2 squares/10 feet for the second diagonal square, and then alternating between the two. This is the standard 3e used.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

I suggested that we could house-rule that the effects occur immediately, but that affected creatures wouldn't have to make an additional save upon the start of the turn as they've already done that. This would allow the damage at least to apply to those that failed their saving throw, and if the scenario of the cleric casting dispel magic, that at least the spell has had some affect.

We then pointed out how the affected characters would be able to use their action on their turn to attempt to break free, and he felt that it was unfair that someone could try to break free of an effect in the same round that they had failed their save to avoid that effect.

It always amazes me how many DMs eagerly charge in to houserule things they dont even understand and aren't playing correctly in the first place. This person doesn't understand the action economy that is the basis for a ton of poo poo going on in the rules. Monster took a turn, player cleric spent a turn countering that? Intended! Monster took a turn, player spent a turn attempting to end the effect? Intended!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Tomb of Levistus renders you incapacitated, so drops your concentration.]

Ah, welp. Tomb just seems worse and worse.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's okay, but considering it loses you a turn and any concentration spells you're keeping, it absolutely is meant to be used only in emergencies rather than between every short rest.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

I chatted w/my friend, the DM, about this a bit tonight, and he seems to have also been discussing it with his girlfriend (the cleric in our party) after our IM exchange earlier in the day, and hoo boy ... did this turn into a bit of a can of worms.

I argued that pretty much any other effect behaved that way ... if my character uses shove to knock someone prone, they don't lose their turn, and can stand up as soon as its their turn at the cost of half their movement, but at that point, I think I started to get the vibe that the conversation was verging on getting a little too adversarial and at the point, I just switched topics to something unrelated to the game.

I definitely don't want the game to turn into a rules squabble, and I've avoided some areas of disagreement (for example, he doesn't think that rogues should be able to get a second sneak attack per round with their reaction), so I haven't pressed that issue, partly because my swashbuckler is already the highest DPS in the group without that and don't want to further exasperate the optimization imbalance with the rest of the party.

I think that since we've been trying to rapidly tie up a lot of plotline loose-ends, most of the past few sessions have been 1-2 epic battles between the party and named PCs who have been recurring antagonists and the DM has a world he's been running since his teens that maybe we're just experiencing natural conflict from opposing sides being very invested in their characters and having ideas on how potent they should be and feeling resentful when certain abilities or encounters are countered easier than expected.

The fight with the wizard who was casting Evard's Black Tentacles included my swashbuckler jumping off a balcony to gank the wizard who had just riskily sent his skeletal warrior bodyguards up the stairs to engage the party. One natural 20 and a 37 point sneak attack later, and we had (or so we thought) just ended the big boss fight early.

We mopped up the rest of the undead, making some decisions that were more for fun than strategy (such as jumping from the ground floor up to the balcony while yelling "Parkour!" each time we rolled for an Athletics check), and I noticed that the DM kept making an extra roll during some of the NPCs turns.

I assumed at the time that he was rolling to see if the undead minotaurs that had been turned and ran out the door were engaged, stopped, turned around, etc, but no ... suddenly the wizard that my character had dropped stood back up, wheeled around, and got 5/6 of our party in a cone of cold, dropping 3 of us. Luckily the cleric was the one not in the cone, ran over, cast Prayer of Healing, and the monk sprinted out and took out the 1 HP the wizard had left. The DM had been rolling death saves for the wizard, and he succeeded all 3 rounds, stood back up, and tried to get one last bit of revenge. It made for a hilarious bit of tension after we thought the fight had gone into mop-up mode after my character dropped the wizard.

Anyway, this is a bit of a ramble, but I enjoy our group and wouldn't mind some advice on balancing when to say "well actually .." vs just rolling with what the DM wants, especially given that absolutely none of us have played 5e before this, and our most recent experience before this would be the DM and several others playing 2e, and me playing Pathfinder.

People only get back up on a roll of a natural 20 for death saves. reaction sneak attack and dispel magic is working as intended. Prayer of healing takes 10 minutes to cast.

I swear 90% of homebrew campaigns i hear about sound like absolute rear end. DM's are too lazy to put in the actual work and just pull the PC's by the nose through encounter after encounter, and nothing you do actually matters.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Speaking as someone else who recently finished a game of Dragon Heist, my main take-away was how uneven the whole thing felt, the titular "Heist" in particular. It's possible our DM just wasn't sure how to connect the dots between our various choices and missteps as a party, but IMO a module designed to be open-ended and sandboxy bears the burden of throwing the DM a bone when things get weird. Dude agreed to let me look over the book now that we're finished, so I guess we'll see soon enough.

Still had fun, but a lot of my investment came from the group dynamic, which would've held true regardless of the module. We had a good mix of old players and new who, with one or two wrinkles, mostly managed to coalesce into a lovable band of lunatics. The DM wants to take those of us who survived the adventure on another one, and we're all game to get up to more shenanigans with the same characters.

That said, I have to echo a certain sentiment I remember hearing way back when, which I regretfully must endorse: a heist was advertised but, to my dismay, no heist went down. Not a proper one, at any rate.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I'm running Lost Mines and planning to continue into SKT after they finish. Would like to tie the two modules together. Any suggestions?

A couple things I'm thinking about adding (spoilers for SKT and LMOP):

- In the manor, Glasstaff will be caught while burning some documents; a couple pages are semi-readable and I will use them to namedrop Hekaton and the Ordning (history check for a couple more details on giant society);
- This is due to the fact that The Black Spider is actually working for, or hell, actually is Iymryth polymorphed (in which case I need to come up with a reason why he runs away at the end rather than murder the party);
- Alternatively, the green dragon youth in Thundertree is actually Iymryth (I would not have them fight him though, not at level 4; same issue as the line above)
- One of the players is a Deep One warlock; his background is he left a cult when it became apparent they were evil/insane, and is on the run ever since; I think I'll make the cult to be the Krakens from SKT and have them pop up during the transition between Phandalin and Wave Echo Caves (maybe the dragon cultists in Thundertree?)
- Giant attack on Wave Echo Cave after it is reclaimed, while the characters are away

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Proud Rat Mom posted:

People only get back up on a roll of a natural 20 for death saves.
To be fair a wizened old mage popping back up during the wind down phase like Jason Voorhees is almost hilarious again

e: my first DM was a "I've been running this world since my teens" type and I've learned since then to take that as a cue for running.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

canepazzo posted:

I'm running Lost Mines and planning to continue into SKT after they finish. Would like to tie the two modules together. Any suggestions?

Phandelver is half-way between Neverwinter and Triboar, so you could just arrange for them to visit Triboar for some reason (caravan escort, or a much needed shipment failed to arrive so go investigate) and then have the SKT events at Triboar play out since they should already be level 5.

Then have Zephyros show up shortly thereafter and do his thing too.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

This is actually perfectly fine:

1. The NPC Wizard casts a spell, costing them their action and a spell slot
2. The party Cleric casts Dispel Magic, costing them their action and a spell slot
3. Even Stevens.

(if anything, this sort of trade is actually skewed against the players, because that NPC Wizard is never going to need that spell slot ever again because it's going to die in this combat, but the Cleric blowing their spell slot is going to carry-over to the next 2-3-4 combats over)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

gradenko_2000 posted:

2. The party Cleric casts Dispel Magic, costing them their action and a spell slot
3. Even Stevens.

(if anything, this sort of trade is actually skewed against the players, because that NPC Wizard is never going to need that spell slot ever again because it's going to die in this combat, but the Cleric blowing their spell slot is going to carry-over to the next 2-3-4 combats over)

Sheeeeet. Don't tell this dude about actual counterspell.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

5e counterspell is super-boring fwiw. I can put it on a monster and turn a player's turn into a no-op, or they can take it and spend a reaction so the big evil monster does nothing for a round, so long as I've arbitrary classed their power as a spell instead of an ability.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Even better: have the enemy counterspell the player's counterspell.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Conspiratiorist posted:

Galaxy Brain: Play a sorcerer and cast counterspell with Subtle metamagic so they can't see you casting it and can't counterspell you.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

My Lovely Horse posted:

To be fair a wizened old mage popping back up during the wind down phase like Jason Voorhees is almost hilarious again

e: my first DM was a "I've been running this world since my teens" type and I've learned since then to take that as a cue for running.

I enjoyed it as well. Even if the DM misread the rules, it seemed perfectly appropriate to me that a "boss monster" could get up after the fight was won, drop one last big spell and then get his head punched off. Since nobody in the party died because of it (correct me if I am wrong), I think that it's fine.

gradenko_2000 posted:

3. Even Stevens.

I agree with this also. I can understand not wanting a character to get a "save vs. effect" roll and a "save to negate a condition" roll for the same effect in the same round, but using an action that consumes a resource to counter an action that consumes a resource seems perfectly logical to me. Plus, the harmful spell wasn't guaranteed to work and neither was the dispel, so fair's fair.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there any non-mobile character builders worth a drat that aren't D&D Beyond? Orc Pub doesn't have non-SRD stuff anymore and I'm sure not paying Wizards more money for content I already have, or any money at all for their handling of the Zak S stuff.

I have a decent builder on my phone/tablet (Squire Pro) but I'd like something at my computer.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Are there any non-mobile character builders worth a drat that aren't D&D Beyond? Orc Pub doesn't have non-SRD stuff anymore and I'm sure not paying Wizards more money for content I already have, or any money at all for their handling of the Zak S stuff.

I have a decent builder on my phone/tablet (Squire Pro) but I'd like something at my computer.
You can add your own stuff to OrcPub - their workaround is having an importer. Just google for the files to import.

edit: gently caress it, ettin you can probate me if you want gently caress the mods !!!
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6chOKnndfctUEhtQnBMeHRqTXc

Be sure to delete your characters within 24 hours if you don't have a license for those feats!!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

Please add the stack system and the rest of the MtG Comprehensive Rules to the Player's Handbook, tia WotC.