Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

nine16thsdago posted:

Worked from 7PM - 2AM on mine and got to the last assembly chapter (brain-box). Had a strange issue with the z axis not going all the way up on xyz calibration. Finally printing the prusa logo after ~4 hours work today, downloading octopi in the meantime...

I was working on calibration over lunch. Prusa logo failed pretty hard due to bad adhesion

Watched a YouTube video where a dude suggested just cranking the z down until you can’t just slide the filament off the bed with your finger so I worked at that and it was looking good but then I was already over my lunch break and I didn’t want to start a test print and walk away so now I’m real anxious to get home and start printing rocktopus and benchies and Dragon dicks and some printer upgrades

I also have no idea how all the cables are supposed to fit so comfortably inside the control box, mine has a pretty good bow to the door because it’s all just shoved in as best as I could

Sockser fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sockser posted:

I was working on calibration over lunch. Prusa logo failed pretty hard due to bad adhesion

Watched a YouTube video where a dude suggested just cranking the z down until you can’t just slide the filament off the bed with your finger so I worked at that and it was looking good but then I was already over my lunch break and I didn’t want to start a test print and walk away so now I’m real anxious to get home and start printing rocktopus and benchies and Dragon dicks and some printer upgrades

You need to use the first layer live z adjustment thing in calibration, and keep going down further than you probably think you need to until you have a very good first layer squish. To the point where it's basically flat.

The dead giveaway that you don't have it low enough is when the corners of the test pattern it creates aren't 90 degree angles. Unfortunately this test is probably too short so I've had to run it a few times before I realized that like, bumping it .002 at a time is useless. Just start cranking it down. I'm at like -.10<something> from a fresh bed level test.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I've posted this before and a couple people, including me, have used it to great success in getting the Live Z right.

https://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/-f6/life-adjust-z-my-way-t2981.html

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");

mattfl posted:

I've posted this before and a couple people, including me, have used it to great success in getting the Live Z right.

https://shop.prusa3d.com/forum/-f6/life-adjust-z-my-way-t2981.html

cool, thanks! i should have seen this after my prusa logo finished. the test pattern "worked" on the settings i had, but the 1st layer of the logo wasn't great. the result was that the benchy i started immediately after lost adhesion.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nine16thsdago posted:

cool, thanks! i should have seen this after my prusa logo finished. the test pattern "worked" on the settings i had, but the 1st layer of the logo wasn't great. the result was that the benchy i started immediately after lost adhesion.

My first benchy on the prusa lost adhesion when it was on the roof. That's when I got a bit more serious about the first layer test.

My previous printer had a glass bed and that seemed a whole lot more forgiving. But totally not worth it compared to peeling off the steel sheet and cracking prints off.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Babby’s first benchy

Decided to go whole hog and skip the Prusa logo test print
Got a decent initial z, went straight for the benchy

The tops of the arches are just a tiny bit hosed and the top of the front window has a wonky corner, but overall a solid 9.5/10

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, I've been trying to get hold of that Flex3Drive for my incoming Duet upgrade...but the guy making it is nearly impossible to talk to.
Took two messages on FB to get him to respond, then he told me to hold on for a week, as updates were coming. I confirmed with him that Messenger was the best way to contact him.
Waited a week, nothing happened. Messaged him. Nothing. Waited 5 days. Tried again. Nothing.
So looking for alternatives, I decided to go with the Zesty Nimble. Functional shop, clear documentation, lots of adapters, including for the Duet Smart Effector. Priced about the same.
Ordered one and then couldn't resist messaging the F3D guy telling him that since I hadn't heard from him, I'd ordered a Zesty instead. Shortly after he replies, telling me how terrible the Zesty is!.
No wonder he's having a hard time selling these.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

What is this error? A z-hop thing? I don't think it's retraction distance.
https://imgur.com/a/3nS1NNR

Sockser posted:

Babby’s first benchy

The tops of the arches are just a tiny bit hosed and the top of the front window has a wonky corner, but overall a solid 9.5/10

That's an excellent first shot

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sockser posted:

Babby’s first benchy

I'd give that a 10/10 for consumer FDM tbh. You'll never get 100% perfection, and the key quality-defining features in that print (overhang performance, bridging, stringing, layer consistency) are all excellent.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah that is a top-notch print.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Finished this morning, 28mm scale medieval stone cottage:

AMZ3D White PLA, .12mm layer height. About 24hrs print time and 60m of filament. Any advice on improvements that look obvious or does it look like I'm dialed in?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All that streaking across the surfaces could be an indication one of your axis, maybe your hotend, is loose and needs its bolts tightened, like its not going exactly back to the same place every time due to slop somewhere in your machine.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's not terribly noticeable in person but it's definitely not smooth on the faces of the stones.

I'll have to read up on how to set the belt tension, etc...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TKIY posted:

Yeah it's not terribly noticeable in person but it's definitely not smooth on the faces of the stones.

I'll have to read up on how to set the belt tension, etc...

Oops yeah, a belt is the most likely culprit, not loose bolts. You can print little square "S" shape pieces that are designed to take up a little bit of slack on your belt. I just tried searching thingiverse for them and i could find NOTHING but I'm sure I got it from there. I used one myself for a while until I could print a proper belt adjustment for the Y axis

Anybody have a link to the S things?? all combinations of "belt + tension + clip" returned nothing

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

Oops yeah, a belt is the most likely culprit, not loose bolts. You can print little square "S" shape pieces that are designed to take up a little bit of slack on your belt. I just tried searching thingiverse for them and i could find NOTHING but I'm sure I got it from there. I used one myself for a while until I could print a proper belt adjustment for the Y axis

Anybody have a link to the S things?? all combinations of "belt + tension + clip" returned nothing

This guy?

https://www.stlfinder.com/model/magic-s-printer-belt-tensioner-r841QAom/7587454

edit:

here's the actual myminifactory link -> https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-magic-s-printer-belt-tensioner-29698

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THERE she is. The picture illustrates how it functions, its a very simple part to model yourself too.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Does anyone here have their printer in a small wall mount network cabinet? Pros/cons vs a lack enclosure? Currently have a lack but there's a decently priced wall mount network cabinet on FB marketplace that'd be the perfect size for my mk2s.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

bring back old gbs posted:

THERE she is. The picture illustrates how it functions, its a very simple part to model yourself too.

Ah, I'll give it a shot. The Z axis is all direct drive so I imagine that's fine, but I'll give it a shot on the X and Y. PLA is probably strong enough?

Edit: Checked the belts now that I'm home and they seem pretty tight. I can strum them like a guitar string and get a low note.

I'll try those anyhow and see what happens.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 6, 2019

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Yesterday I had my Z level dialed in perfect and everything was going great
Tonight, it's somehow dropped by a good amount, such that there wasn't enough room between the print bed and the extruder for it to actually like, extrude

So the extruder gears were skipping or something and it was making an awful noise

Got it sorted, but I've got a suuuuuper thin layer of PLA filament stuck to my build plate that I can't even fingernail off. Should I just let it go and let another print peel it off or is there some sort of magic I can do?

E:
Something still needs adjusted, this first layer is lookin hosed

Sockser fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 7, 2019

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I switched out the springs on my ender 3, and I'm having a devil of a time getting he bed level. I moved he z-stop up to account for the thicker springs, but I'm starting to get a bit angry now.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Grey Hunter posted:

I switched out the springs on my ender 3, and I'm having a devil of a time getting he bed level. I moved he z-stop up to account for the thicker springs, but I'm starting to get a bit angry now.

I ordered some replacements too but after reading a few comments like this I'm hesitant to upgrade.

I do need to get a glass bed though

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Sockser posted:

Yesterday I had my Z level dialed in perfect and everything was going great
Tonight, it's somehow dropped by a good amount, such that there wasn't enough room between the print bed and the extruder for it to actually like, extrude

So the extruder gears were skipping or something and it was making an awful noise

Got it sorted, but I've got a suuuuuper thin layer of PLA filament stuck to my build plate that I can't even fingernail off. Should I just let it go and let another print peel it off or is there some sort of magic I can do?

E:

I would put down something with a wide base, slightly hotter and a touch slower.

Should grabbing and come off as per normal

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Sockser posted:

E:

Check for a nozzle clog - I recently had that way-too-loving-close-to-the-bed situation happen and back up the nozzle so badly that it had to be swapped out.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I have a Dremel Digilab 3d45. This issue happens consistently at this height on the right side. It's like it doesn't print a layer. I've repaired the stl. The bed is leveled using the leveling software.

Is there something stupid I'm doing/not doing?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I think, after an hour and a half, I may may have got the bed re-leveled.

It seems firmer with the new springs, and they all seem to have equal tension, but god was that an infuriating slog. now I need to try printing 1,000 28mm scale bricks and see how they hold....

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Do flexible filaments stretch worth anything? At work we’ve got some power supplies that need a mounting solution and we were thinking a custom band that stretches over might be a good solution.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Depends on which type it is. You can get flexible TPU that's not elastic and REALLY floppy poo poo like flexible nylon that stretches 200%. I've only printed TPU with a 95a shore hardness and virtually no elasticity, even then it's a bit tricky to get it dialled in with a bowden extruder. For elastic stuff it's simpler to print on a direct drive printer as you won't have to worry about the filament binding up between the extruder and hot end.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

expectation: I'll start this print before I go to bed and wake up to an army of perfectly printed neon orange dicks

reality: I'll wake up to a bunch of ballsacks thrown all over my floor and a giant wad of ABS burned onto my hot end and a printer that can't Z home anymore

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sockser posted:

expectation: I'll start this print before I go to bed and wake up to an army of perfectly printed neon orange dicks

reality: I'll wake up to a bunch of ballsacks thrown all over my floor and a giant wad of ABS burned onto my hot end and a printer that can't Z home anymore

This wouldn't have happened if you had printed them one at a time.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

An hour of loving around led me to adjusting the Pinda sensor. Now it’s not crashing the nozzle into the bed any more so that’s cool, but I didn’t have enough time to run through a full calibration

Also a bunch of PETG showed up in the mail so now I can throw all that awful awful ABS into a closet and forget about it forever

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");

Sockser posted:

An hour of loving around led me to adjusting the Pinda sensor. Now it’s not crashing the nozzle into the bed any more so that’s cool, but I didn’t have enough time to run through a full calibration

Also a bunch of PETG showed up in the mail so now I can throw all that awful awful ABS into a closet and forget about it forever

i haven't had quite the trouble you've shared, but i suspect my PINDA sensor has moved slightly as well. i printed an ESP8266 case this morning and the bottom (1st layer) of the thing is visibly different on one side than the other. i've had a few other quirks as well. perhaps i should tighten it up and re-run the calibration / test patterns (the bottom layer of the prusa logo benchmark works great for this, BTW).

what PETG did you order? i'm expecting a spool of amazonbasics in the mail tomorrow...

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
So I'm trying to use a Arduino Mega 2560 as a ISP to burn a bootloader to my Wanhao Duplicator i3's melzi board. I am following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejpSniiJejI But everytime I try to burn a bootloader I get this:

code:
Arduino: 1.6.9 (Windows 10), Board: "Sanguino, ATmega1284 or ATmega1284P (16 MHz)"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega1284p -cstk500v1 -PCOM3 -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m 

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 15 2015 at 19:59:58
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, [url]http://www.bdmicro.com/[/url]
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM3
         Using Programmer              : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
         AVR Part                      : ATmega1284P
         Chip Erase delay              : 55000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PA0
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    10   128    0 no       4096    8      0  9000  9000 0xff 0xff
           flash         65    10   256    0 yes    131072  256    512  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : STK500
         Description     : Atmel STK500 Version 1.x firmware
         Hardware Version: 2
         Firmware Version: 1.18
         Topcard         : Unknown
         Vtarget         : 0.0 V
         Varef           : 0.0 V
         Oscillator      : Off
         SCK period      : 0.1 us

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.02s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000 (retrying)

Error while burning bootloader.

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude done.  Thank you.
If I try to use -F to override it get this:

code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr\bin>avrdude -C "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf" -v -patmega1284p -cstk500v1 -PCOM3 -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDE:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m -F

avrdude: Version 6.0.1, compiled on Apr 15 2015 at 19:59:58
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, [url]http://www.bdmicro.com/[/url]
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM3
         Using Programmer              : stk500v1
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 19200
         AVR Part                      : ATmega1284P
         Chip Erase delay              : 55000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PA0
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    10   128    0 no       4096    8      0  9000  9000 0xff 0xff
           flash         65    10   256    0 yes    131072  256    512  4500  4500 0xff 0xff
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : STK500
         Description     : Atmel STK500 Version 1.x firmware
         Hardware Version: 2
         Firmware Version: 1.18
         Topcard         : Unknown
         Vtarget         : 0.0 V
         Varef           : 0.0 V
         Oscillator      : Off
         SCK period      : 0.1 us

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.03s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega1284P is 1E 97 05
avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as 0
avrdude: safemode: hfuse reads as 0
avrdude: safemode: efuse reads as 0
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "0x3F"
avrdude: writing lock (1 bytes):

Writing |                                                    | 0% 0.00s ***failed;
Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.12s

avrdude: 1 bytes of lock written
avrdude: verifying lock memory against 0x3F:
avrdude: load data lock data from input file 0x3F:
avrdude: input file 0x3F contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip lock data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0x00 != 0x3f
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude: safemode: lfuse reads as 0
avrdude: safemode: hfuse reads as 0
avrdude: safemode: efuse reads as 0
avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK (H:00, E:00, L:00)

avrdude done.  Thank you.
Can somebody help me with this?

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Parts Kit posted:

Do flexible filaments stretch worth anything? At work we’ve got some power supplies that need a mounting solution and we were thinking a custom band that stretches over might be a good solution.

I print X60 filament which has a shore 60a hardness and it is very stretchy. You absolutely need a compatible extruder though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Do you have a Flexion extruder? Because it says on the Diabase website like fifteen times that you can ONLY print X60 with a Flexion extruder!!!!! :cheeky:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I made a rough and ready towel rack

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

nine16thsdago posted:

i haven't had quite the trouble you've shared, but i suspect my PINDA sensor has moved slightly as well. i printed an ESP8266 case this morning and the bottom (1st layer) of the thing is visibly different on one side than the other. i've had a few other quirks as well. perhaps i should tighten it up and re-run the calibration / test patterns (the bottom layer of the prusa logo benchmark works great for this, BTW).

what PETG did you order? i'm expecting a spool of amazonbasics in the mail tomorrow...

I got some orange Amazon Basics to hopefully match the Prusa parts so I can add some bits to it, as well as these guys:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6WENG6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D76FY15/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9AF0JZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've only printed with the first so far, but it's been pretty great, albeit stringy as hell, but I am just using the default PET settings in slic3r

e:
hell yeah

Sockser fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 9, 2019

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Got the Prusa all built, ran it through the auto calibration and this is the first print, color me impressed.

Is all of the stuff about PETG sticking too well to PEI true, I'm a little nervous to print it because I don't want to potentially screw up the build plate's finish. Thoughts on that?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

The amazon basics filament is not printing as nicely as my weird Chinese YOYI PETG, it’s getting all boogery on the first layer

I guess half the fun of having a 3d printer is having to dial in exact settings for every different roll of filament, but what exactly should I be playing with here?

E:
And you can see it’s not all of the pieces in a single print that are going weird

Sockser fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 9, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Seems like you should try raising the first layer height. PETG doesn't like being squished as hard on the first layer and will gall on the nozzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

jubjub64 posted:

So I'm trying to use a Arduino Mega 2560 as a ISP to burn a bootloader to my Wanhao Duplicator i3's melzi board. I am following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejpSniiJejI But everytime I try to burn a bootloader I get this:

code:
lots of code
Can somebody help me with this?

It looks like your connections aren't right, but mostly I just wanted to bump this question. Triple check the pin outs, as well as the continuity of the jumper wires.