Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Asema posted:

For the majority of people.

You have gamers who consistently make attack helicopter jokes and won't buy games because their beloved franchise has a woman, poc, or the double whammy woman poc as the lead and people here want to raise their noses up at Boomers and say it's the parents generation that's the issue.

You've got to challenge people on a consistent basis and you've got to shun them and you've got to be the one capable of showcasing your point in a calm manner because it's never about your 1 on 1 confrontation with the person. It's always going to be about the audience and making sure that maybe one person listening will begin to think so that things can get better.

And again, that has the same pitfalls. You're assuming one tact works better than the other if it's 2nd hand.

I always assume I'm arguing for the people reading, because nobody ever admits they're wrong on the internet. You aren't going to either. Neither am I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Catalyst-proof posted:

No where is the Great Depression mentioned in the article. It is never mentioned.

:nallears:

This is so loving tedious (and many posters in this thread and elsewhere will tell you that I'm an expert on tedious). Did you read the article or did you just search for "Great Depression", see no hits, and think "heh, gotcha"?

No, he didn't literally say the words "Great Depression". Yes, he was talking about the Great Depression. Yes, he did actually say that it was just a minor recession until FDR started the New Deal and then it became the Depression we're familiar with.

In this case, even though the headline is not a direct quote, it actually does accurately summarize what the man said.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Crackbone posted:

Colbert defended Tucker? Gross.

Colbert is ultimately a defender of the status quo and of his own privilege. He wants a "return to decency" I'm sure from the Republicans, but he fails to understand Republicans haven't been decent for at least a generation, they've simply been as publicly hideous as they could get away with.

And he's a winner in the current system, rich, famous, get's to do and say basically what he wants. Why would you expect him to challenge the fundamental order which elevated him? He'd have to admit he was given unfair advantages and luck played a huge role in his life. Don't get me wrong he's funny and talented but he's the product of the system.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Unzip and Attack posted:

IMO there is no group in the world as moral as American POC. Their collective patience, goodness, and capacity for forgiveness is astounding.

I don’t think the world has given them a choice.
That’s not a dig at POC, it’s an indictment of society. Doing anything other than forgiving and walking away usually ended with jail or death.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
Inhofe, a US senator from Oklahoma wants to vote to block the emergency declaration. He could use some supportive phone calls.

He’s talked to two newspapers in the last two days floating voting to block the “emergency”.

Oklahoma needs emergency declarations to be a functional thing due to our weather and if Trump rams thru this “emergency” there’s a good chance that emergency declarations will get neutered in the future. States with Weather need quick funding when poo poo hits the fan.

Inhofe’s staff is surprisingly nice. Give him a ring if you got a spare 5 minutes.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

And again, that has the same pitfalls. You're assuming one tact works better than the other if it's 2nd hand.

I always assume I'm arguing for the people reading, because nobody ever admits they're wrong on the internet. You aren't going to either. Neither am I.

I will gladly admit that I am wrong if you actually understood that I'm not talking about the highlander argument where that can only be one but you do you dude :)

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/teddygoff/status/1102975463532777473?s=21

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Silver Nitrate posted:

Inhofe, a US senator from Oklahoma wants to vote to block the emergency declaration. He could use some supportive phone calls.

He’s talked to two newspapers in the last two days floating voting to block the “emergency”.

Oklahoma needs emergency declarations to be a functional thing due to our weather and if Trump rams thru this “emergency” there’s a good chance that emergency declarations will get neutered in the future. States with Weather need quick funding when poo poo hits the fan.

Inhofe’s staff is surprisingly nice. Give him a ring if you got a spare 5 minutes.

wait, the "global warming isn't happening because there is a snow" guy has turned on Trump's declaration?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

How could you resist the urge to sneeze right into his head

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

So much free rent that AOC should push to have them registered as lobbyists

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Discendo Vox posted:

He's absolutely being fired or forced out- he denied any resignation plans very recently and had been actively hiring senior staff. That's an excellent article btw- very evenhanded on his accomplishments, though it significantly undersells him in a number of ways.

I dunno, Bridgeport/Stamford CT to DC is a nasty commute (4 hrs via Acela) and being away from your spouse and 5/9 yr old kids all week would be really rough. I could see him having a "wait, why am I doing this?" moment after a bad week or missing some important childhood milestone.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Unzip and Attack posted:

IMO there is no group in the world as moral as American POC. Their collective patience, goodness, and capacity for forgiveness is astounding.

Seems like weird fetishization tbh

I know black and brown women love it when we collectively claim they're our only hope, thereby absolving ourselves and our communities of moral agency

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Deified Data posted:

I know black and brown women love it when we collectively claim they're our only hope, thereby absolving ourselves and our communities of moral agency

Lmao

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

How could you resist the urge to sneeze right into his head

Or crop dust him at the very least.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, it's super weird when people try to make American Exceptionalism "woke".

Acting like America is the single greatest at anything - including oppressing a people group, or even those people's response to that oppression - just means you don't know much about the rest of the world.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Asema posted:

I will gladly admit that I am wrong if you actually understood that I'm not talking about the highlander argument where that can only be one but you do you dude :)

If you're not making GBS threads on the effectiveness of shaming/yelling people then we good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We are the best at gridiron football

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Acting like America is the single greatest at anything - including oppressing a people group, or even those people's response to that oppression - just means you don't know much about the rest of the world.
We're the best at thinking we're the best at stuff :colbert:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Australian rules?

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

What the gently caress is this about AOC stealing $1 million. Only sources so far are Fox News and Breitbart. I can't keep up with these conspiracy theories.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaxyon posted:

If you're not making GBS threads on the effectiveness of shaming/yelling people then we good.

I think it's not the best approach to start with it, but at the same time understand that some situations and numerous different type of contexts call for skipping right to it when appropriate.

To be fair to myself, I'm about done with being nice to anybody who identifies as a Centrist and even further done to those right of that. I'm sick of all this loving information being available and being willfully ignorant isn't seen as the bad thing it should be. I'm glad that I'm independent enough and have escaped living in the South to where I've actively cut my family out of my life since the 2016 election but again not everybody can do that :shobon:

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

theflyingorc posted:

wait, the "global warming isn't happening because there is a snow" guy has turned on Trump's declaration?

Ha, called it!

Beyond what was already said, Inhoffe is also the chair of the Armed Services Committee. And given his other moral flexibility, it's basically guaranteed that he's beholden to interests that will get hosed by a reallocation of the MIC grift. It's why he was previously trying to get Trump to commit to just using US Army Corps of Engineers funds.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Slow helmet rugby

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/1103027752192610305

Lindsay Graham has given out some spectacularly bad advice recently.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

theflyingorc posted:

What he said is absolutely dumb - but it isn't the clever "FDR CAN TIME TRAVEL" joke, it's just a stupid argument, and like 4 people have made the same joke, dropping a sick burn on a thing he didn't say, and that's really annoying!

Sure. Sad part is, as unbelievable as the headline is on its face (in otherwise normal times) I don’t immediately dismiss even that stupid of a claim. First thought in my head is “oh god did they actually say that” so I can’t blame people for believing this stupid poo poo.

But I hate people making up their own reality to make others look bad as well, so I get it.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

F. Lobot posted:

What the gently caress is this about AOC stealing $1 million. Only sources so far are Fox News and Breitbart. I can't keep up with these conspiracy theories.

https://twitter.com/mikandynothem/status/1102936448796250114

That seems pretty cut and dry. She's goin' to jail!!!

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

what

No this is terrible, Gottlieb's been the best FDA commissioner in decades -and this is entirely out of the blue. I need to figure out what the hell is going on here.

edit: reading between the lines it appears the FDA has finally been brought to Trump's attention, and Trump was going to force Gottlieb to reverse course on his lauded rulemakings cracking down on the e-cig and vaporizer industries. This is catastophic.

Yeah, this was my reading and I came here to get your take on it. Vape lobby finally got across to the right people.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Insanite posted:

how incredibly loving racist to use Desi Arnez's catchphrase just because she's Latina

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

theflyingorc posted:

Tornadoes loving suck.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

The text of this headline is not in the quote

He does not say "great depression" at any point

quote:

"LARRY ELDER (RADIO TALK SHOW HOST): [Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortex (D-NY) doesn't have] any real understanding about how bad the original New Deal was. As I started to say a moment ago, an economist named Lee Ohanian, he teaches at UCLA, he has probably done more work on the impact of the New Deal than anybody else -- the New Deal that FDR did. And he says it deepened and lengthened the recession. It was a severe recession, the New Deal turned into a depression. And Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the Democrats who are using this expression, apparently have no real idea of what the old New Deal did. And then of course, there's the issue of cost. Once you start putting polls together and ask people about costs for the Green New Deal, support for it goes down dramatically. "

What ~the gently caress~ do you think he was talking about, my dude?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

F. Lobot posted:

Almost the entirety of Fox’ homepage is AOC and all of it is unsubstantiated nonsense.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
If it's hated enough in the Senate to flip assholes like Inhoffe, I continue to suspect that, particularly if McConnell is allowing a straight vote, there's a modest chance there's veto proof numbers coming out of the Senate vote. Probably doesn't change the final numbers in the House, but it may well change the calculus for individual reps. And Trump's trying to pilfer too much cash to keep the damage to just blue districts, even if they're together enough to be thinking that direction.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

luxury handset posted:

the great depression started in 1929, but it bottomed out in 1933ish, with another little dip in 1937. so it's not entirely a dumb argument on the basis of causality alone

How is that not a dumb argument on the basis of causality alone?

He was inaugurated in March 1933

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Insanite posted:

Oh boy, how's Lucy gonna get herself outta this one!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Catalyst-proof posted:

Yeah. I kind of wish this forum of all places wouldn't fall victim to Just-Read-The-Headlines-itis. He said FDR caused a recession, then a depression. Of course I still reserve the right to presume he's speaking out of his rear end until I do my own homework, but there's no reason to post every little titillating tweet in here.

He said "the impact of the New Deal... it deepened and lengthened the recession. It was a severe recession, the New Deal turned into a depression."

He's specifically, hilariously, talking about the efforts of FDR's New Deal turning what was just a recession into a depression, and lengthening it. It's a common bullshit trope in conservative circles to destroy the legacy of FDR. They repeat this bullshit all the time.

edit: And yes, he means the Great Depression.

Catalyst-proof posted:

No where is the Great Depression mentioned in the article. It is never mentioned.

It's not an article, it's an interview transcript and video on Media Matters, and the subject matter of the speaker is CLEARLY "The New Deal and the Great Depression".

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 5, 2019

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
SO she gets to sue them when this ends up being slander or whatever, right?

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

eviltastic posted:

Beyond what was already said, Inhoffe is also the chair of the Armed Services Committee. And given his other moral flexibility, it's basically guaranteed that he's beholden to interests that will get hosed by a reallocation of the MIC grift.

e: lol misread
https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/1102999537042509824
Looks like I was wrong.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 5, 2019

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

SO she gets to sue them when this ends up being slander or whatever, right?

Because this is hell world, I've already devoted a bit of my psyche to riding out the disappointment if it's true.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Insanite posted:

Because this is hell world, I've already devoted a bit of my psyche to riding out the disappointment if it's true.

Who is this guy breaking this "breaking news"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

skylined! posted:

Almost the entirety of Fox’ homepage is AOC and all of it is unsubstantiated nonsense.

Is an FEC complaint just something anybody's uncle can file? Fox News usually has the decency to grossly misrepresent something that they didn't 100% make up.