Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Man, y'all are hosed up. That poo poo tasted like somebody poured peach scented toilet spray in a Coke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i found root beer brand root beer in a machine down some random alley and it was v good for me, a root beer liker

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Stringent posted:

Man, y'all are hosed up. That poo poo tasted like somebody poured peach scented toilet spray in a Coke.

Please don't kinkshame

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

That was a secret family recipe that I shared with you in confidence, jerk!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'd like to visit Tokyo and Osaka-Kyoto around May 26th. Because of the travel time I'll get there and have 7 days, coming back the next Sunday. I plan to do 4 days Tokyo and 3 days Osaka-Kyoto.

However I'm in part having a feeling I should split this up and spend 7 days either around Tokyo-Fuji or do 7 days in Osaka-Kyoto and any neighboring areas. Any thoughts?

My other concern is that as I'm putting an itinerary together and reading on things to do my list is feeling very touristy with the Robot Show and such. I do plan to see Sumo wrestling. I'm starting to read the thread again but hoping for suggestions too.

jack3485
Aug 14, 2007

Stringent posted:

It is not that great, but also not terrible. Maybe you should drink less alcohol.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gatts posted:

I'd like to visit Tokyo and Osaka-Kyoto around May 26th.

I do plan to see Sumo wrestling.

The final day of the May tournament in Tokyo is May 26th, and that will be impossible to get tickets for. Aim for the Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday before to have a chance. And note that it will only be in Tokyo for the May tournament, if that impacts how you're splitting your travel.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I believe that is it good and not bad if tourists enjoy touristy things in touristy areas!!! Have fun!!!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

jack3485 posted:

It is not that great, but also not terrible. Maybe you should drink less alcohol.

Hey man, you like Lysol in your Coke that's your business, I just think it's nasty is all.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
happy cola lysol fresh

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Hey guys, I'm thinking about taking a trip to Hokkaido in the upcoming months and I'm thinking it might be in May so a couple of questions:

- Golden Week / immediately after GW: okay or bad idea?
- If I come from Singapore would the summer still faze me?
- Any general recommedations? I'll be there solo for about a week. I like nature, cafes and urban hiking. Also weird old malls selling weird old things.

Thanks!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
golden week bad idea. immediately after gw is ok, but I'd wait until june or july. Summer won't faze you at all and might even be cold.

Main city in Hokkaido is Sapporo, but if you do like nature definitely go out east to like Shiretoko or that side of Hokkaido (it's further away from Asian tourists and peaceful).

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Immediately after GW, they would love to have you!!!!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Reallycoolname posted:

Hey guys, I'm thinking about taking a trip to Hokkaido in the upcoming months and I'm thinking it might be in May so a couple of questions:

- Any general recommedations? I'll be there solo for about a week. I like nature, cafes and urban hiking. Also weird old malls selling weird old things.

Thanks!

Golden Week should be fine, tickets might be a little high because of the holiday.

Hokkaido is not nearly as humid as Tokyo, Osaka, etc. It’s also generally cooler. You’ll be able to walk around without sweating like a monster like you would in Tokyo.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Reallycoolname posted:

Thanks!

You could consider going east to Shiretoko (takes about half a day if you take a bus from Sapporo to Utoro), that's probably the most spectacular place nature-wise. It's full of bears.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

My wife and I just booked plane tickets to Japan in the end of April to beginning of May (28th to 12th May), as they were the cheapest we could find.

Now, of course, we realise there's the GW, and a quick Googling doesn't immediately tell me how screwed that leaves us.

How does it affect openings of museums and other attractions? Anything I should be aware of?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Iacen posted:

My wife and I just booked plane tickets to Japan in the end of April to beginning of May (28th to 12th May), as they were the cheapest we could find.

Now, of course, we realise there's the GW, and a quick Googling doesn't immediately tell me how screwed that leaves us.

How does it affect openings of museums and other attractions? Anything I should be aware of?

Golden Week is a fine time to visit Tokyo and the other big cities though! Because (especially with this 10-day Golden Week) many people are taking the chance to travel outside Japan. The four-five years I've been in Tokyo for GW, it's been noticeably empty. That, and the trains (including bullet trains) don't fluctuate in cost as much as air travel, and are running often, you can still travel domestically for a decent rate.

Plus, the weather will be quite nice, so there's that.

More attractions and places are closed around New Years than at Golden Week. Some places do close, yes, but the majority stay open during the holiday.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

ntan1 posted:

golden week bad idea. immediately after gw is ok, but I'd wait until june or july. Summer won't faze you at all and might even be cold.

Main city in Hokkaido is Sapporo, but if you do like nature definitely go out east to like Shiretoko or that side of Hokkaido (it's further away from Asian tourists and peaceful).

I probably should note that I can't drive which is a huge bummer since apparently all of the national parks more or less require it? Should've guessed. :smith:

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Take a bus tour like an old.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't really get a clear answer on this from google so I'm assuming it's fine, but is there any issue going to onsen or sento with body piercings the way that there is with tattoos? In general, I mean. I know there are onsen where tattoos aren't a problem.

edit: And by issue I mean refusal, not "some old man is going to look at me and frown"

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have assembled a pretty nice itinerary. Will do Tokyo for 3 nights, Osaka-Kyoto for 4 nights. One day from Tokyo will be spent in Mount Fuji and one day from Kyoto will be spent in Nara. Might as well go whole hog

Also I am one who plans everything out even by time/hour per day so lol I guess. I use that as a guideline on which area I need to be in and what’s around than a hard schedule.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
My personal opinion is that, if you really must go to Osaka, you should do it as a daytrip from Kyoto. Eliminating a check out/in is really nice, IMO.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

totalnewbie posted:

My personal opinion is that, if you really must go to Osaka, you should do it as a daytrip from Kyoto. Eliminating a check out/in is really nice, IMO.

I was actually going to do the opposite. Stay in Osaka but visit Kyoto. You would recommend the opposite?

quote:

Itinerary

Friday: Flight

Saturday: Flight

Sunday: Tokyo
8:00 AM Check in at Hotel
10:00 AM Senso-ji Temple
12:00 PM Owl Café
3:00 PM Shibuya Scramble Crossing
5:00 PM Teppan Baby Shinjuku
7:50 PM Robot Show
9:30 PM Golden Gai - The Open Book
11:00 PM Piss Alley - Yakitori

Monday: Tokyo
Mount Fuji Day Trip and Hakone
7:00 PM Deli Fu Cious
9:00 PM Whisky Library

Tuesday: Tokyo
11:00 AM Akihabara 
12:00 PM Cure Maid Café
3:00 PM Akihabara 
6:00 PM Tapas Molecular Bar
8:00 PM SKY LOUNGE STELLAR GARDEN

Wednesday:
Tokyo
12:00 PM MCDONALDS
Osaka
8:00 PM Night Food Tour Dontonbori

Thursday: Osaka
9:00 AM Osaka Aquarium
12:00 PM Tempozan Marketplace 
3:00 PM Shitennoji
6:00 PM Spa World

Friday: Kyoto
Fushimi Inari Shrine
Sento Imperial Palace + Kyoto Imperial Palace
Nishiki Market
Gion Shirakawa

Saturday: Kyoto
Mount Koya and Nara

Sunday: Flight

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well it looks like you highly value night life so maybe not.

Honestly, I feel like you need another day in Kyoto. There's TONS of stuff in Kyoto, as you probably saw while planning. I'd suggest Wednesday but it looks like you're pretty set on the food tour?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I can't really get a clear answer on this from google so I'm assuming it's fine, but is there any issue going to onsen or sento with body piercings the way that there is with tattoos?
Ears and nose isn't a big deal. Anything
the front desk can't see, they won't know about.
Likelihood of multiple extreme piercings without any tattoos is low, so I expect you'll be ok.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Gatts posted:

I was actually going to do the opposite. Stay in Osaka but visit Kyoto. You would recommend the opposite?

this looks fine for what seems to be more or less a whirlwind tour, tbh

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Gatts posted:

i've done it this way round when the only reasonably priced accommodation i could find was in osaka, it was fine

but ... koyasan and nara in a single day? i also enjoy moving around a lot so i can appreciate what you're trying to do here, but koyasan is pretty remote. you're looking at like 6+ hours just on trains there, not allowing for the fact that the stations aren't right next to the sights. you'll basically have time to pop your head out of the bus on koyasan and say "yup there sure are some temples here" and then get right back on the bus back to the cable car. if you have any flexibility in your timing or budget you really should do koyasan as an overnight trip, stay at a temple, it's pretty neat, you can do nara on the way home the next day

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Your schedule is too overloaded and packed and it's likely you'll burn out in like 2 days and decide gently caress it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

peanut posted:

Ears and nose isn't a big deal. Anything
the front desk can't see, they won't know about.
Likelihood of multiple extreme piercings without any tattoos is low, so I expect you'll be ok.

That was my thought as well. I don’t expect problems but who knows :)

This’ll be my first Onsen, assuming I can decide on a place to go around Tokyo. Excited!

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Soricidus posted:

but ... koyasan and nara in a single day? i also enjoy moving around a lot so i can appreciate what you're trying to do here, but koyasan is pretty remote. you're looking at like 6+ hours just on trains there, not allowing for the fact that the stations aren't right next to the sights. you'll basically have time to pop your head out of the bus on koyasan and say "yup there sure are some temples here" and then get right back on the bus back to the cable car. if you have any flexibility in your timing or budget you really should do koyasan as an overnight trip, stay at a temple, it's pretty neat, you can do nara on the way home the next day

Lol yeah this is insane. It takes so long to get to koyasan, and if you wanna do stuff there well at all you should definitely stay a night

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Skip the retarded robot restaurant and golden gai imo

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Yeah, Koyasan took me way longer than I thought to get to it, and that's even when I took the route outside the JR pass one and paid a pretty penny for the reserved train because that's how the timing worked out best, and if anything I wish I had spent more time there. I found that the amazing transit system in Tokyo and other major cities gave me a false expectation of how fast, how often, and how long transit takes outside of it.

Also, other than the food options, I didn't much care for Osaka as it felt like just a less impressive version of everything I already did in Tokyo. But not a nightlife guy, wasn't interested in shopping and it was basically the first tourist burnout day for me so can't really blame the city.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Gatts posted:

Also I am one who plans everything out even by time/hour per day so lol I guess. I use that as a guideline on which area I need to be in and what’s around than a hard schedule.

I haven't attached a hard in/out time to any of the sights I'm planning on seeing. I know there are some sights I will have to have to be up at the butt-crack-of-dawn to see. The place I've chosen as my base in Kyoto is a stones throw from Fushimi Inari Taisha and I plan on going to at different times, once early in the morning to beat the crowds and again late at night to see it lit up.

I have seven months to plan so what I've been doing is using google map's "my places" feature while looking at people's travel recommendations and travel guides and if a place looks interesting dropping a pin on it. Being able to see where things are on a map will help ensure that when I create my daily itineraries I don't do a ton of back tracking on trains like I did on my Tokyo trip. One of the things I also did was map out every BOOK OFF and the other OFF stores under their umbrella in Kyoto and Osaka and I plan on hitting them all. If anyone knows of other recycle shops I should be checking out let me know!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

One of the things I also did was map out every BOOK OFF and the other OFF stores under their umbrella in Kyoto and Osaka and I plan on hitting them all.

:stare:

I am also a connoisseur of the Off franchise but that...seems quite excessive. Also, it’ll likely take you to some residential-rear end places too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah that's like a multi day project. Which if that's what you want, okay I guess.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Blackchamber posted:

I haven't attached a hard in/out time to any of the sights I'm planning on seeing. I know there are some sights I will have to have to be up at the butt-crack-of-dawn to see. The place I've chosen as my base in Kyoto is a stones throw from Fushimi Inari Taisha and I plan on going to at different times, once early in the morning to beat the crowds and again late at night to see it lit up.

I have seven months to plan so what I've been doing is using google map's "my places" feature while looking at people's travel recommendations and travel guides and if a place looks interesting dropping a pin on it. Being able to see where things are on a map will help ensure that when I create my daily itineraries I don't do a ton of back tracking on trains like I did on my Tokyo trip. One of the things I also did was map out every BOOK OFF and the other OFF stores under their umbrella in Kyoto and Osaka and I plan on hitting them all. If anyone knows of other recycle shops I should be checking out let me know!

Honestly I thought you were leaving a lot of gaps and running a bit of a slow pace. Adding in every recycling shop in Kansai is a good first step, but I still think there's room for more, especially on the Tokyo leg.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Every udon shop in Kansai

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Gatts posted:

Sunday: Tokyo
8:00 AM Check in at Hotel
10:00 AM Senso-ji Temple
12:00 PM Owl Café
3:00 PM Shibuya Scramble Crossing
5:00 PM Teppan Baby Shinjuku
7:50 PM Robot Show
9:30 PM Golden Gai - The Open Book
11:00 PM Piss Alley - Yakitori

Monday: Tokyo
Mount Fuji Day Trip and Hakone
7:00 PM Deli Fu Cious
9:00 PM Whisky Library

Tuesday: Tokyo
11:00 AM Akihabara
12:00 PM Cure Maid Café
3:00 PM Akihabara
6:00 PM Tapas Molecular Bar
8:00 PM SKY LOUNGE STELLAR GARDEN

Wednesday:
Tokyo
12:00 PM MCDONALDS
Osaka
8:00 PM Night Food Tour Dontonbori

Thursday: Osaka
9:00 AM Osaka Aquarium
12:00 PM Tempozan Marketplace
3:00 PM Shitennoji
6:00 PM Spa World

Friday: Kyoto
Fushimi Inari Shrine
Sento Imperial Palace + Kyoto Imperial Palace
Nishiki Market
Gion Shirakawa

Saturday: Kyoto
Mount Koya and Nara

Where are your hotels? If you want to plan this down to the hour there are several things you can cut, but I can also make more specific recommendations based on where you're staying.

Your trip is whirlwind already but let's trim some fat:
-Sensoji can be done in an hour if you skip all of the tourist trap shops
-Shibuya Scramble is just an intersection, you'll take a few pictures there, maybe a video from the Starbucks that overlooks it. 30 minutes tops
-Don't bother with Teppan Baby, you'll have a shitload of brown sauce food in Osaka anyway
-Golden Gai and Piss Alley are more or less the same experience these days, both full of gaijins
-Whisky Library, can I ask why? While visually impressive it's not particularly cheap, and if there's some particular kind of whisky you're after, there's likely a better option somewhere else
-Maid cafe, I give it an hour before you're tired of it
-If you're going to Molecular Bar you'll be at Mandarin anyway, consider Mandarin Bar instead of Stellar. Also I just wrote this, it's easy to do happy hour if you're on vacation
-Wake up earlier and leave Tokyo earlier on Wednesday, you can easily be in Osaka by lunchtime (they have McDonalds there too). That would enable you to shift some stuff from Thursday to Wednesday, maybe allowing you to spend a night closer to where you want to be the next day

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thank you for the clarification guys. I'm not dead set on anything so I'm still trying to understand what can be done and what can't and still doing research. I will try to reconfigure the Nara-Koyasan and other parts of the trip.

I also don't burnout easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

zmcnulty posted:

Where are your hotels? If you want to plan this down to the hour there are several things you can cut, but I can also make more specific recommendations based on where you're staying.

Your trip is whirlwind already but let's trim some fat:
-Sensoji can be done in an hour if you skip all of the tourist trap shops
-Shibuya Scramble is just an intersection, you'll take a few pictures there, maybe a video from the Starbucks that overlooks it. 30 minutes tops
-Don't bother with Teppan Baby, you'll have a shitload of brown sauce food in Osaka anyway
-Golden Gai and Piss Alley are more or less the same experience these days, both full of gaijins
-Whisky Library, can I ask why? While visually impressive it's not particularly cheap, and if there's some particular kind of whisky you're after, there's likely a better option somewhere else
-Maid cafe, I give it an hour before you're tired of it
-If you're going to Molecular Bar you'll be at Mandarin anyway, consider Mandarin Bar instead of Stellar. Also I just wrote this, it's easy to do happy hour if you're on vacation
-Wake up earlier and leave Tokyo earlier on Wednesday, you can easily be in Osaka by lunchtime (they have McDonalds there too). That would enable you to shift some stuff from Thursday to Wednesday, maybe allowing you to spend a night closer to where you want to be the next day

- Will cut out Teppan BAby.
- I did figure to at least visit one of Golden Gai and Piss Alley since they were close together but if you have an alternate suggestion, I'd love to take it.
- Maid Cafe and Owl Cafe, I'd take the Owl so I can cut out Maid.
- I will look at Mandarin Bar.
- I used Tripmasters and it's giving me a flight about 4pm to 6pm to Osaka.
- I used a combination of Google, Viator to find stuff to do but am completely open to different suggestions.

Cost is less of a concern, as long as it is around or under $5000 for the trip. Right now $2200 is for hotel and flights. So I'm flexible taking taxis or public transport and going slightly out of the way.

The hotels Tripmasters is giving me is Via Inn Higashi Ginza in Tokyo and Welina Hotel Honmachi in Osaka.

I don't have to do Robot Show. I did want to do the Sumo show but figure by the time I book in April it will be gone.