Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

There are a bunch of exercises in my workouts that are supposed to be rpe 6-7 but have creeped up to the point where I'm failing before I hit the rep ranges. I think I'll have to accept I can't really up the weight anymore as long as I'm on a caloric deficit. It's also probably the reason I'm so fatigued because I try to go too hard in my workouts and can't recover.

I have a tendency to dismiss stuff like fatigue management and not giving 100 percent in workouts since I'm afraid I'd be just making excuses and being lazy, but I guess I need to take it easy a bit so that I don't keep burning out and finally finish this drat cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Khorne posted:

I guess mine have nowhere to go too. I just have no physical awareness at all.

Also, snatch grip deadlift has hit my dick and balls before.

Have you guys never heard of a cup?

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

UnfurledSails posted:

There are a bunch of exercises in my workouts that are supposed to be rpe 6-7 but have creeped up to the point where I'm failing before I hit the rep ranges. I think I'll have to accept I can't really up the weight anymore as long as I'm on a caloric deficit. It's also probably the reason I'm so fatigued because I try to go too hard in my workouts and can't recover.

I have a tendency to dismiss stuff like fatigue management and not giving 100 percent in workouts since I'm afraid I'd be just making excuses and being lazy, but I guess I need to take it easy a bit so that I don't keep burning out and finally finish this drat cut

ORrrrrr just do steroids

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Collapsing Farts posted:

ORrrrrr just do steroids

Chase the dragon, but get winded after ten feet because tren.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Chase the dragon, but get winded after ten feet because tren.

So if that already happens you're saying there's no downside?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

Excellent work! It’s all in your head.
My deadlifts are waaay heavier than squats and I think it's all in the head too, having the bar on the back instead of in the hands makes a huge difference and I get scared to crank it up.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

UnfurledSails posted:

also same, I'm not on an intentional cut but I metabolize like a diabetic hummingbird and need to get around to actually diet/meal planning for myself or I'll stall out in the next month or two

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

it's weird if you can't deadlift way more than you squat

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

nooneofconsequence posted:

Unless you're fat. Even very strong fat people DL less than they squat

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Squatting puts too much pressure on my knees (yes even with ~good technique~) because I am over the age of 30 and busted my knees long ago so I'll never squat as heavy as I deadlift. I got like, strong meaty legs too and I'm pretty sure it's because of my strong meaty legs that I can deadlift so much. But squatting? Nah, not gonna risk my knees

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

almost 100lb difference here, making progression in neither

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

feelix posted:

Unless you're fat. Even very strong fat people DL less than they squat

I mean mass moves mass but ive never seen anyone, outside of very specialized elite power lifters or people with some kind of problem, consistently outsquat their deadlift.

i did know a games athlete female who could overhead squat more than her front squat, however.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

I have a less than 10kg difference between max squat and deadlift

I just find squat way more natural :shrug:

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

FizFashizzle posted:

I mean mass moves mass but ive never seen anyone, outside of very specialized elite power lifters or people with some kind of problem, consistently outsquat their deadlift.

i did know a games athlete female who could overhead squat more than her front squat, however.

Lots of fat people do. Lots of not fat people outsquat their deads, but its more common amongst the portly

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Not even Thor Björnsson squats as much as he deadlifts. He only squats a measly 980 pounds

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Collapsing Farts posted:

Not even Thor Björnsson squats as much as he deadlifts. He only squats a measly 980 pounds

Pft, that's not even half a ton.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Collapsing Farts posted:

He doesn't deadlift 980 on any powerlifting-legal barbell

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I don't know what the difference is but he deadlifts 1040 pounds on an elephant barbell

elephant barbell sounds cooler so I declare it so

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
It's not and he's also freakishly proportionate for his 400lb frame, it's actually amazing how close his DL is to his squat

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

feelix posted:

It's not and he's also freakishly proportionate for his 400lb frame, it's actually amazing how close his DL is to his squat

well that's just what we've seen him DL

his most recent world record, breaking his own world record, didn't look very difficult.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Hafthor is a great big huge guy but not a great big fat guy

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
keeping in mind too the longer they train and bulk, 440lbs bodyweight 2 years ago was a lot more bodyfat than 440lbs today. he was freakishly lean for his powerlifting comp recently at 200kg compared to how fat he was for WSM same bodyweight the year before

big z is the same at 180kg bodyweight, he used to look like a balloon years ago now he looks much leaner at that weight

amazing what just good diet and creatine can do for you

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my left calf. 2 weeks ago I went for a run and as I was finishing the 6th mile and I stepped off the curb I felt a pop in my calf and it hurt like a bitch. I could still walk but it felt like there was a huge knot in the middle of my calf. I took it easy for a few days but kept walking on it and it slowly got better.

I haven't done any running since then and today I was doing heavy farmers carries and it happened again. Same calf same pop and feels like a huge knot.

Some google work seems like it could be a tear? Has anyone felt something like this before?

abgushte badamjan
Apr 4, 2009

for butts??????
Maybe it's just a spasm

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

my calves are too big to feel pain

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

my calves are too big to feel pain

Gym coach calves own.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

FizFashizzle posted:

well that's just what we've seen him DL

his most recent world record, breaking his own world record, didn't look very difficult.

He hit a 970 squat and missed a 947 DL in his PL meet

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

MarcusSA posted:

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my left calf. 2 weeks ago I went for a run and as I was finishing the 6th mile and I stepped off the curb I felt a pop in my calf and it hurt like a bitch. I could still walk but it felt like there was a huge knot in the middle of my calf. I took it easy for a few days but kept walking on it and it slowly got better.

I haven't done any running since then and today I was doing heavy farmers carries and it happened again. Same calf same pop and feels like a huge knot.

Some google work seems like it could be a tear? Has anyone felt something like this before?

Sounds like a tear, it is fairly common in the calf. What people generally do, and what is generally wrong, is to lay off it completely for a couple of weeks, and then start up with the load they stopped at and get hurt again. A better approach is to start loading it after about 48 h, warm up and then three sets of ~25 reps. Some pain is ok, but you generally want to aim for a pain that gets better the more you work it. If you get a sharper and sharper pain, or a pain increase that remains for 24 hours you'd want to aim for a lower intensity the next day.
Repeat this daily for the first 10-14 days, with gradually increasing working weight and then start doing it every other day with increasing weight and lowering the number of reps. Tears in the muscle belly heals fairly fast (a couple of weeks), while tendon tears take longer (months).

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
just got 500x10 deadlifts

:getin:

fist me

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Sludge Tank posted:

fist me

I'll get the chalk

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Sludge Tank posted:

fist me

:eyepop:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ovenboy posted:

Sounds like a tear, it is fairly common in the calf. What people generally do, and what is generally wrong, is to lay off it completely for a couple of weeks, and then start up with the load they stopped at and get hurt again. A better approach is to start loading it after about 48 h, warm up and then three sets of ~25 reps. Some pain is ok, but you generally want to aim for a pain that gets better the more you work it. If you get a sharper and sharper pain, or a pain increase that remains for 24 hours you'd want to aim for a lower intensity the next day.
Repeat this daily for the first 10-14 days, with gradually increasing working weight and then start doing it every other day with increasing weight and lowering the number of reps. Tears in the muscle belly heals fairly fast (a couple of weeks), while tendon tears take longer (months).

Thanks! This is incredibly helpful.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Sludge Tank posted:

fist me

I was all ready to poo poo talk this post but it’s legit impressive

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
can barely squat 440x1 tho

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Yeah, I use a lot of hyperbole. I'll be fine. I'm just frustrated that I'm moving backwards instead of forwards.

Thanks for the links, been through a few, will digest the rest tonight.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Sludge Tank posted:

can barely squat 440x1 tho

I'd kill for a 440 squat. That must put your deadlift max like 200+ pounds over your squat though.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
im hoping to pull 675 at the end of this block.
i have crooked hips and hosed up hip flexors from years of sedentary sitting among a myriad of other problems thats kept my squat max poverty but its fine i just train high volume squat for hypertrophy

id love to squat with the big boys though, theres a powerlifter manleg at my gym and we deadlift about the same and his squats the same as his deadlift which can be deflating. hes put 250lbs on his total the last 12 months

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
whats a "powerlifter manleg"

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RacP3CN0Wkc