Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Aliens: Newt's Tale is the closest I can think of. It's a two-part comic entirely from Newt's perspective. Part 1 is all prequel events depicting the colony's downfall. Part 2 is the events of the movie.

Huh interesting, thanks for the lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I don't think it's called Newts tale anymore as it conflicted with Alien 3, they renamed characters in it and rereleased it as (I believe) as an anthology called alien 1-6.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

paid money to post posted:

kind of hilarious when you consider the source material (Giger's spooky biomechanical space penises) turned into so many children's toys. The alien queen's head is basically a giant clitoris...

Giger:" Aliens was also terrific. I am sorry I was not asked to work on it. At first I thought, This  is like a war film,' but it is really powerful. But I didn't like the ribbed cranium of the Alien warrior, although you couldn't see the aliens very much. However I loved the Alien Queen designed by James Cameron.  " (FX magazine, July 1999)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I don't think Giger would have meshed with Cameron as a director but I do wish they brought him back to design more stuff because that Swede was loving cool.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Donovan Trip posted:

I don't think it's called Newts tale anymore as it conflicted with Alien 3, they renamed characters in it and rereleased it as (I believe) as an anthology called alien 1-6.

No, no. Those were the original run of "sequel" comics. They were rebranded several times after Alien 3, but Newt's Tale was never changed since it all takes place before and during the film.

Outbreak, Nightmare Asylum, and Female War were the rebranded story arcs. Really, the only thing they changed was added color to the black/white issues and renamed problem characters (Hicks to Wilkes and Newt to Billie).

Definitely reccomend Nightmare Asylum the art and coloring is beautiful.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
People controlling or hanging around the Aliens was always super lame. They should be unbridled hate and rage, unrepentant and brutal.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Glenn Quebec posted:

People controlling or hanging around the Aliens was always super lame. They should be unbridled hate and rage, unrepentant and brutal.

Yeah I mean the main antagonist being a corporation who wants to somehow harness the power of the alien as a weapon is kind of strange if you really focus on it. Like, of course their hubris in trying to control the uncontrollable gets their representatives killed but also causes a lot of havoc for innocent people to make sure we know they're evil.

But how could you monetize the alien? Or is the idea that if Yutani had actual control over them, they could just nakedly obtain power and sic a xenomorph on anyone who got in the way?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah I mean the main antagonist being a corporation who wants to somehow harness the power of the alien as a weapon is kind of strange if you really focus on it. Like, of course their hubris in trying to control the uncontrollable gets their representatives killed but also causes a lot of havoc for innocent people to make sure we know they're evil.

But how could you monetize the alien? Or is the idea that if Yutani had actual control over them, they could just nakedly obtain power and sic a xenomorph on anyone who got in the way?

Some random exotic flower in the Brazilian rainforest can create a billion dollar family of drugs.

Think how much an actual alien that can also interact with human biology would be worth

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

A Strange Aeon posted:

As far as I know this was the exact idea.

In Alien Resurrection, Brad Dourif punishes one of the xenomorphs with blasts of ice cold air when they misbehave. What he was trying to do was "train" it.

My guess is that they could just drop a few xenomorphs off into wherever the enemy is and let 'em go to town.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My guess is that they could just drop a few xenomorphs off into wherever the enemy is and let 'em go to town.

yeah that's always been my thought about how to effectively use them as a weapon

or like, if the target is a space station, just send over a transport / cargo ship full of them or something

you'd need a way to kill them or pacify them when you're done though, if you wanted to actually get anything out of the place when they were done, but let's not let that little detail stop us

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Code Jockey posted:

yeah that's always been my thought about how to effectively use them as a weapon

or like, if the target is a space station, just send over a transport / cargo ship full of them or something

you'd need a way to kill them or pacify them when you're done though, if you wanted to actually get anything out of the place when they were done, but let's not let that little detail stop us

Yeah either two things imo. Go in and sweep up, killing all of the xenomorphs. Or maybe they get them so well trained that they can recover them. Knowing Weyland-Yutani.... they'd just kill them all.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Yeah either two things imo. Go in and sweep up, killing all of the xenomorphs. Or maybe they get them so well trained that they can recover them. Knowing Weyland-Yutani.... they'd just kill them all.

Yeeeep. I was thinking, find some way to breed them with some kind of vulnerability to... something, like gas maybe, so you could just fumigate 'em.

Though saying that, I think an even better idea would to breed them with defects that would cause super short life spans after maturity. I mean, they don't really need to live long, and if the first wave dies before the target is neutralized, send another and another. If they have a biological timebomb in them, the problem fixes itself over time.

(until it doesn't work right, and we end up sending a plucky crew of badass warriors in to kill the mutated immortal alien)

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do you kill tardigrades? cause they're at least as hardy as that

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I like that idea. Breed them to die quickly. I'm sure they're are a thousand different things they'd like to do to their biology. We could probably go on for hours speculating this.

Basically I just think at the superficial level... WT wants a weapon they can train to kill other people. And that's about as far as the writing goes.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the thing about the aliens is they are like an infinite number. it doesn't matter what you think they are because they're better than that

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF44YvDVP8Y

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
80s women in ur house stealin ur dudes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVn2HSHW1aI

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

A Strange Aeon posted:

they wanted them for biowarfare

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:aaa:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh poo poo, what do we have here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWLKwrmYd6A

edit: uggghhhhh audio is off

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 6, 2019

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1986 was the most significant 80s year as far as things blowing up

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like, I'm always impressed by how well-thought-out the opening to Aliens is, in the theatrical cut. it does some really cool poo poo with giving/withholding info to make the movie play completely differently based on whether you've seen Alien prior.

if you've seen Alien prior to seeing Aliens, you know Ripley's right, and you know exactly what the marines are getting into. it gives all the stuff where Ripley's trying to tell the Company what happened a real sense of dread; you know that the Marines are going in completely unprepared, and that you're about to witness basically a total loving meat grinder. it makes the driving question of the first act "how bad are these guys gonna get their asses handed to them?"

meanwhile, if you haven't seen Alien prior, all you know is that Ripley went through some serious poo poo. the chestburster is the only direct hint you get as to what, but it's so quick you can't really tell what's happening unless you already know. instead of dread, it gives the first act a sense of mystery; you know that Ripley's not outright lying, but you have no idea if the Marines are actually right that this is "just another bug hunt," or what exactly happened at LV-426.

To me it always felt like if you have seen Alien before, then you experience Aliens from Ripley's perspective. But if you are going in completely blind, then you experience the movie from the marines' perspective.

The first time I watched it, it was before seeing Alien, and without really knowing anything about the creature. There is a great sense of mystery and tension as the marines sweep the colony uncovering more and more evidence.

I would go so far as to say that Alien and Aliens form a trilogy the proper order of viewing of which is Aliens, Alien, and Aliens again.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Aliens was real good and I’m glad they didn’t ruin it by ever making any sequels or prequels whatsoever.

Newt and Ripley lived happily ever after.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

like, I'm always impressed by how well-thought-out the opening to Aliens is, in the theatrical cut. it does some really cool poo poo with giving/withholding info to make the movie play completely differently based on whether you've seen Alien prior.

if you've seen Alien prior to seeing Aliens, you know Ripley's right, and you know exactly what the marines are getting into. it gives all the stuff where Ripley's trying to tell the Company what happened a real sense of dread; you know that the Marines are going in completely unprepared, and that you're about to witness basically a total loving meat grinder. it makes the driving question of the first act "how bad are these guys gonna get their asses handed to them?"

meanwhile, if you haven't seen Alien prior, all you know is that Ripley went through some serious poo poo. the chestburster is the only direct hint you get as to what, but it's so quick you can't really tell what's happening unless you already know. instead of dread, it gives the first act a sense of mystery; you know that Ripley's not outright lying, but you have no idea if the Marines are actually right that this is "just another bug hunt," or what exactly happened at LV-426.

also, Newt's introduction in the theatrical cut is legit loving awesome; the Marines are poking around trying to figure out what happened, and then they basically just find a random traumatized kid in a vent who somehow managed to survive. and then from there, it's just this bizarre descent into Hell as we figure out that poo poo is hosed.

the Newt bit in the Special Edition directly ruins both of these things, by explicitly showing what happened to the colony way too early, and by showing Newt way too early and revealing too much about her.

Similarly, T2 played off audience expectations about which Terminator is the good one in the first act. If you saw T1 the scene in the mall is a big twist.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

Similarly, T2 played off audience expectations about which Terminator is the good one in the first act. If you saw T1 the scene in the mall is a big twist.

Man it's been so long and I saw those movies so young I didn't even consider this, must have been a great flick to see in the theatre!

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Donovan Trip posted:

Wouldn't people already know about which cyborg was good and evil from the commercials? Isn't that a huge point of its advertising?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Segment in the making of. They all started talking about the weapons and how they were made and especially how the crew reacted to them. Here's Al Matthews mentioning some poo poo about handling guns around him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V--gH9ayR-o&t=4032s

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
welp just had my first death in Isolation waited a bit too long in the transit car looking around. That scared the poo poo out of me and this owns

I was like why is the music getting all tense? Is there going to be something scary in the transit car? It got there and nope, empty, so I think oh lol the game was faking me out, I'll just look at the magazines wait what is that souOH gently caress OH GOD

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Vietnamwees posted:

Wouldn't people already know about which cyborg was good and evil from the commercials? Isn't that a huge point of its advertising?

Yup, the advertisement people completely and utterly hosed that up.

I think on netflix it's also spoiled in the description, if you were to find someone who hasn't seen them (which isn't impossible anymore, probably).

RE: Isolation. I installed it a bunch of years ago and snuck around scared as poo poo until I ran into some non-alien douchebags who killed me and ruined the game. I wanted to sneak around a biological killing machine, not play cover shooter with assholes. So I turned it off. This thread makes me want to try again.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Ah right that's the one. The dog testing stuff was hilarious. It did not work out so well.

The cutest little alien yes you are :allears:

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
This floor is freezing! :(

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer

paid money to post posted:

kind of hilarious when you consider the source material (Giger's spooky biomechanical space penises) turned into so many children's toys. The alien queen's head is basically a giant clitoris...

I read somewhere that they had to remake the original ALIEN movie posters. Instead of cracking open with glowing green space light, it was hatching from the top as it does in the movie. Which is to say it blatantly showed a gaping mutant space vagina with four labia.

the original egg design had a single slit but the design was changed during production because it was too graphic.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Vietnamwees posted:

I thought this too. The mall scene in T2 could have been the single greatest turn in action movie history, but IIRC all the trailers and release media blew it in advance, because 'twists' weren't really a big thing in cinema at that time (I could be totally wrong about this), and I guess people were just legitimately excited to see the T800 somehow doing violence for a good cause. I suppose you could argue that it's also pretty telegraphed by how creepy the T1000 acts right up to that point. This is why, though, I'm really excited to screen T2 with a friend of mine who is going in completely blind - she's never seen T1 or any media about T2 barring maybe a scene here or there. We're going to skip T1 (because, unpopular opinion time, I think it's kind of poor) and I'll just give her a small synopsis and lean into Arnie being the bad guy. I wish I could experience T2 like that.

I'm glad to see the discussion about Isolation in here, too. Hands down, my favourite game next to DOOM, and something I replay often - whenever a friend is over and mentions they've never seen it, I'll just start a new campaign. The Dead Space games didn't scare me at all - I can see why people might find that stuff scary but it was just a lot of the same jump scare and that does nothing for me at all. Isolation, on the other hand, had the perfect atmosphere - everything about that game just _feels_ like an Alien film, from the distant klaxons and droning spaceship sounds to the dust that hangs in the air when motion-triggered lights flicker on in some spooky new hallway, to the head bob as you desperately sprint away from danger down a shadowy corridor... seriously, watch the scene in Alien where Ripley tries to come to the aid of Parker and Lambert; there's a shot from her running POV and the camera wobble was nailed by the makers of Isolation. And of course, it had loads of its own jump scares, made so much more impactful by the atmosphere and the fact that it makes you remember just how loving scary those movies were the first time.

Legit, Isolation is the only game that's actually made me scream and throw the controller down on the floor. Right at the last level when the aliens are in the vents with you regardless of your hiding tendency.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 6, 2019

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Thinkin bout thos aliens

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
"You don't see them loving each other over for a goddamn percentage."

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I saw a documentary about Giger and all I remember was a bit about Alien 4 and he said it all looked like poo poo, literal poo poo and it cut to a clip of the Queen and... sure enough. She has a giant gestating womb thing that looks like a massive steaming poo poo.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Applewhite posted:

Aliens was real good and I’m glad they didn’t ruin it by ever making any sequels or prequels whatsoever.

Newt and Ripley lived happily ever after.
What about Hicks eh? What does Hicks do???

Also Alien 3 did something right, and awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9kiI_iiee4

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Aliens needs to be seen in the theater with a crowd. I remember the audience cheering at least a couple of times: when Vasquez finally cuts loose ("Let's rock!") and when the doors open to reveal Ripley in the power loader.

And here's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcLTaMpRl2o

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
My little sister and her fiance are 33 and her fiance hasn't seen Aliens or Predator and I don't approve of their upcoming marriage one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Drunken Baker posted:

My little sister and her fiance are 33 and her fiance hasn't seen Aliens or Predator and I don't approve of their upcoming marriage one bit.

U know what 2 do