Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
It is getting lots of coverage. It's just that thanks to Blair's actions there's more context than the straight forward retaliatory firing everyone expected. It is a more complicated story than "Ford fired a political enemy".

There is no doubt Ford & Co. wanted to fire Blair. They were just waiting for an excuse. Blair gave them a good one. He took confidential police communications concerning the Premier's security detail and filed them in court. Which makes them publicly available. There is no legitimate need to do that, ever. If Blair needed a judge to see such documents, that can be easily done without making them public. It only requires obtaining judicial leave to file the materials under seal. No judge is going to refuse to seal documents described as "concerning the Premier's security detail", and there is absolutely no disadvantage to Blair in proceeding in that fashion. Blair didn't do that. As to why he didn't, there is some suggestion that the email is not terribly relevant to the defamation case and were mostly intended to publicly embarrass the Premier. I don't know whether that's the case or not, but it is atypical to see evidentiary documents filed this early in litigation.

That gives Ford a lot of cover to fire Blair. And as a corollary, the OPP Association is now firmly in Ford's camp because Blair's inappropriate disclosure harmed line members of the force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I'm aware of the justification for the firing, I haven't seen much coverage of this outside of web-only news articles. That may just be my experience though.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhPnnLK6Znc

:bisonyes:

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

:yeshaha:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Videos making fun of Trudeau seem to scream out "just watch me!"

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Hello. I am a Canadian-American Citizen living in America wondering what’s up with Trudeau and is all okay up north cause down here LMAO, my dudes.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Sheila Copps going on CBC and saying JWR and Philpott should be kicked out of caucus :laffo:

Is there anything dumber than a Liberal? Serious question.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Gatts posted:

Hello. I am a Canadian-American Citizen living in America wondering what’s up with Trudeau and is all okay up north cause down here LMAO, my dudes.

Canada is always a few years behind USA so this is just setting the stage for something terrible like Doug Ford as Prime Minister.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Trudeau is our Hillary Clinton

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gatts posted:

He's a corrupt neoliberal just like all the other corrupt neoliberals, which is not in any way a surprise

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Trudeau giving preferential treatment the laurentian elite, colour me SHOCKED :monocle:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Gatts posted:

Congratulations, now both of your leaders’ political futures are relying on the “I didn’t do it, and even if I did it’s not illegal” argument.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Trudeau likely can say that, Trump is likely going to get pinned on something

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

It's funny because Trudeau probably wouldn't have been taking as much heat if

a) He didn't say anything to JWR and just shuffled her out of the Justice Minister spot and put a yes-man there

b) Just said right from the get-go the government wanted the DPA for SNC-Lavalin for job reasons and it was the right thing, yadda, yadda, yadda

He's been hit with ethics violations before and it's done nothing to his image. What's killing him is he keeps saying the stupidest things at all times and is dragging this out.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Campaign Research always overstates the CPC by 6 points, but falling behind on Angus Reid, Nanos and Ipsos is real bad news for the Libs

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
https://twitter.com/CBCPolitics/status/1103020385505890304?s=19

Ya think?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DariusLikewise posted:

Campaign Research always overstates the CPC by 6 points, but falling behind on Angus Reid, Nanos and Ipsos is real bad news for the Libs

Can't wait for the LPC / NDP federal coalition government.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

zapplez posted:

Jagmeet seems like the kind of guy that would sell out the strong left leaning values of the NDP for a coalition government.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zapplez posted:

You're going to be waiting forever.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
It will be a CPC / PPC / NDP coalition, obvs.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I hope it goes CPC minority/NDP opposition to just show how much of a gently caress up turfing electoral reform was. With electoral reform LPC would have had a permanent minority government at least but they wanted to have complete power for the benefit of their buds on Bay St.

overboard
Aug 26, 2009

”CBC posted:

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is holding high-level discussions today to plot next steps in the ongoing SNC Lavalin controversy — steps which may include Trudeau making some display of contrition over how officials in his office conducted themselves.

A senior government official said one of the options being discussed is for Trudeau to "show some ownership over the actions of his staff and officials" in their dealings with his former attorney general, Jody Wilson-Raybould.
For the love of gently caress, they’re really not pretending anymore. Trudeau’s not reflecting on his/his staff’s/caucus’s actions, he’s considering “showing ownership” as “an option,” another of which presumably includes taking no responsibility whatsoever.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Phillpot resigned because cabinet was effectively discussing character assassination strategies.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

cowofwar posted:

I hope it goes CPC minority/NDP opposition to just show how much of a gently caress up turfing electoral reform was. With electoral reform LPC would have had a permanent minority government at least but they wanted to have complete power for the benefit of their buds on Bay St.

Bay Street doesn't like the conservatives now? On financial issues, the Liberals and Conservatives are indistinguishable.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Gatts posted:

I have vastly more optimism for the future of America right now than Canada.

In the US there’s actually a meaningful backlash to Trump. Politicians like Bernie, AOC, Ilhan Omar and others actually exist and have at least a little power.

In Canada our backlash to Trudeau will likely be to elect an even shittier, more right wing government. The NDP is run by centrists convinced their path to power is to mimic all the worst qualities of the Libs and Cons. Oh and the NDP just got their terrible leader elected locking the party into its doomed plan for at least another few years.

It’s real grim up here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really wish we had a party with an ideology about the application of power rather than just "acquire power at all costs".

If course the CPC has the ideology of "acquire power and then use it to gently caress over everyone else" but that's not really the kind of application I was hoping for.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

This from the documentary “Dancing Around the Table” which is hella awesome.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i cant wait to see what kind of greasy poo poo gerarld butts has to say in front of the committee

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I am sad. No hope in Canada either then.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
https://twitter.com/CochraneCBC/status/1103071538285342721?s=19

Ah the ole liberal strategy of distraction progressive policy.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

bunnyofdoom posted:

it didnt work for wynne

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Ontario did get a 14 dollar minimum wage thanks to Wynne's desperation though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Which Doug promptly froze and then strangled the 15/hr plus benefits in its crib.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/PnPCBC/status/1103062251727175682

I hate her so much.................................

and I hate that she's the only person I have ever considered voting strategically for

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
No, she's right, do we believe that job creation, or simply being an employer trumps the supremacy of the rule of law? This is definitely something we should figure out since the topic has been broached, because it's pretty loving fundamental.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Which Doug promptly froze and then strangled the 15/hr plus benefits in its crib.

Also rolled back sick days and worker protection laws.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

By which you mean that Liberal corruption is, overall, good for Canada.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I know Im biased because I work in a pharmacy but holy poo poo yes I will take a national pharmacare program just because the Liberals are trying to distract us.

Like yeah it wont change my vote but still, its something we needed 20 loving years ago.

e: Watch it be a complete troll done in the same vein as voting reform.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

I know Im biased because I work in a pharmacy but holy poo poo yes I will take a national pharmacare program just because the Liberals are trying to distract us.

Like yeah it wont change my vote but still, its something we needed 20 loving years ago.

e: Watch it be a complete troll done in the same vein as voting reform.

It's just gonna be a limit on dispensing fees and a system to report bad pharmacists that won't fill your forged oxy script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Powershift posted:

It's just gonna be a limit on dispensing fees and a system to report bad pharmacists that won't fill your forged oxy script.

So the Ontario system.