Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Annath posted:

:(

I just have a lot of nostalgia, because those are the ones I played at my friends' houses during sleepovers in middle school.

Oh I meant that 1-7 are good games. Personal favorites are well personal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My group has recently moved from UCH to Towerfall. It's similar in style to UCH (2D, one screen, short matches, basic platforming) but based around bow-and-arrow fighting. It's by the people who did Celeste if you liked that game.

Ouya refugee game that seems to have succeeded anyway.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1103097867810541568?s=21
gently caress yes. I’ve been waiting for Startropics. I hope they eventually get to Zoda’s Revenge as well.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Give us Kid Icarus 2 DX you cowards

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

As soon as I read Star Tropics my brain did a little dance to the cave music, hell yes. But also, what game does Japan think we aren't cool enough to play this month?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gonna bet that we get a Special edition of Kirby's Adventure, and it's NG+

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Silver Snail posted:

As soon as I read Star Tropics my brain did a little dance to the cave music, hell yes. But also, what game does Japan think we aren't cool enough to play this month?

I wonder if they’re going to get Startropics at all. I don’t think it was ever released there officially, not even on any VC.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Also I know Sakurai is too worn down to do it, but someone really ought to remaster Kid Icarus Uprising for the switch.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Apparently Japan isn’t getting Startropics. This month they’re getting Kid Icarus (The Famicom version is different, most notably it has saves instead of passwords), Yie Ar Kung Fu and the original Fire Emblem.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 6, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Nintendo just announced a tetris99 tourney where the top 999 get 999 gold coins/$10.

https://nintendoeverything.com/tetris-99-maximus-cup-online-event-announced-chance-to-win-my-nintendo-gold-points/

If i know Nintendo, and i don't, but my nephew works there part time, they'll use the winners as a starting point for world tourneys.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I must awaken Ultra Instinct and finally nab victory... Ten times over!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Silver Snail posted:

Also I know Sakurai is too worn down to do it, but someone really ought to remaster Kid Icarus Uprising for the switch.
Sakurai mentioned in an interview that an Uprising remaster is probably not possible, so don't get your hopes up.

SeANMcBAY posted:

gently caress yes. I’ve been waiting for Startropics. I hope they eventually get to Zoda’s Revenge as well.
The Famicom app is getting the disk version of Kid Icarus, the very first Fire Emblem game, and Yie Ar Kung-Fu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3-uZfHf2y4

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've been replaying through all the Xeno games and in doing so I realized I'd have to get to Xenoblade Chronicles X at some point so I got the Wii U out and set it up again. Good lord, the fact that there's multiple loading screens between some of these basic level system menus is appalling. No wonder Nintendo went all out on streamlining Switch's basic menus! But the Wii U does have folders...

Today I learned that, apparently, the #1 best seller on the Wii U eShop in 2019 is a Brain Age game for DS! Love that smooth mall jazz it's got going on in the eShop.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I wonder if they're just going to flat out tell you the secret code in the description for Startropics. Maybe they'll finally put manuals up on this service? Hahaha, no.

Also, holy poo poo, I've actually played a poo poo ton of Yie Ar Kung Fu back in the day; in Atlantic Canada, there was this specific bootleg cart (it was a Famicom cart with the adapter for the NES) which was known as the 31-in-1 and despite there being oddities here and there with some of the games, it felt like a fair bit of effort was put into the thing. Here are a couple videos showing it off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unXrzt9OHrM
Oh, Rinry :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=846Z1A2f2tA

This actually introduced me to a lot of Japanese games, but being 6 years old, I didn't really get that, plus most of the text was still in English (why do they do that? It's not like NA releases still have Japanese text), so I just played them like normal.

Years later, I realized that, no, Arabian and Zinja weren't released outside of Japan, and you're not clubbing penguins in the NA version of Ice Climber.

Lotta weird poo poo on that cart. Exerion? Zippy Race?

Zinja's the worst.

Anyway, Yie Ar Kung Fu is actually a pretty good game for its time. I played it so much that I was eventually able to get through most of the fighters without getting hit.

That bonus stage can suck my balls, though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Midjack posted:

Ouya refugee game that seems to have succeeded anyway.

Wait seriously? That’s crazy

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wonder if they're just going to flat out tell you the secret code in the description for Startropics. Maybe they'll finally put manuals up on this service? Hahaha, no.

i'm gonna be honest i wouldn't be entirely surprised if they outright forget about that

well, maybe a little

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Guys Star Tropics has been on the virtual console before. This isn't rocket science.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Star Tropics Special Edition where the save state loads to the letter code already pre-entered for you.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

American McGay posted:

Guys Star Tropics has been on the virtual console before. This isn't rocket science.

Yeah, but there was a manual for that version, complete with a little animation of the letter being dunked in water to reveal the code.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Wait seriously? That’s crazy

Yup. It was the only reason to look at one of those things.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Barudak posted:

The remova of the fog everywhere in the new ports means you get less lost in the labeythine mazes that are Turok 2s levels

Trust me, you actually don't. They actually redid levels in Turok 2 so they're less frustrating to navigate through and even less mazey and it doesn't help too much. One level is loving atrocious in it's design, Lair of the Blind Ones, because it's all subterranean caves and there's 6 billion floors. The bad part? Once you go down, you can't go back up until you get to the very bottom. You missed something on that level above that you need? LOL, well gently caress you.

This is the map for the level in question:

I think was alleviated a bit with the ability to teleport from check points, which you couldn't do in the original. But honestly, this poo poo sucks and it makes the game really, really god drat long. To put this into perspective, I have 109 hours in Turok 1 on Steam. That's probably over 50~ playthroughs (I casually speed run it). My Turok 2 playtime? 20 hours for a single playthrough. Granted, it was to get all of the achievements and the "true" ending, but it's longer than it needs to be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The original Fire Emblem you'd think would be a good idea to release overseas, but I suppose it's :effort: to localise an ancient game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The original Fire Emblem you'd think would be a good idea to release overseas, but I suppose it's :effort: to localise an ancient game.
Only M2 are interested in doing what basically amounts to professional translation ROM-hacks. Their 2012 localization of Monster World IV on Virtual Console and XBLA was great!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Why on earth would any human being want to play the original Fire Emblem in 2019

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Regy Rusty posted:

Why on earth would any human being want to play the original Fire Emblem in 2019

Quote a lot of people play old loving games. We have a thread specifically for old games and people play through Bards Tale, Wizardry, etc all the time. It would be a fun exercise to see where it all started.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Quote a lot of people play old loving games. We have a thread specifically for old games and people play through Bards Tale, Wizardry, etc all the time. It would be a fun exercise to see where it all started.

I know that, but the original fire emblem is bad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Regy Rusty posted:

Why would people get excited about NES games in general.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Regy Rusty posted:

My 8 bit waifu

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm legit excited about Startropics since I never played it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I'm legit excited about Startropics since I never played it

It's a fantastically nostalgic game and I'm looking forward to playing it again too

I remember some Grade A Game Design Horseshit though, deathtrap rooms and the like, so thank goodness for save states

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why would people get excited about NES games in general.

because some of them are still fun

fire emblem 1 is not one of those

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

SeANMcBAY posted:

So that's just how it will be now. Scraping the barrel for 3, decades old, NES games a month was too much, so now we only get 2 a month.
I foolishly thought they'd have something special for the switch anniversary. Maybe by the 3rd anniversary they'll be at a point where they just remove NES games.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Reminder they remade the original Fire Emblem for DS and it was painfully unfun, can't imagine what the NES version would be like.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Reminder they remade the original Fire Emblem for DS and it was painfully unfun, can't imagine what the NES version would be like.

Significantly worse

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Another vote for Ape Out - it's just fantastic. You're an ape, you grab people and you smash people. Sometimes you fling people at other people.

It's great fun. GET ON IT, GOONS.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Policenaut posted:

I've been replaying through all the Xeno games and in doing so I realized I'd have to get to Xenoblade Chronicles X at some point so I got the Wii U out and set it up again. Good lord, the fact that there's multiple loading screens between some of these basic level system menus is appalling. No wonder Nintendo went all out on streamlining Switch's basic menus! But the Wii U does have folders...

Today I learned that, apparently, the #1 best seller on the Wii U eShop in 2019 is a Brain Age game for DS! Love that smooth mall jazz it's got going on in the eShop.

Brain Age isn't the #1 selling game in the Wii U Shop because people like playing it.

It's the cheapest Wii U Shop game compatible with the most popular custom firmware hack.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 6, 2019

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Startropics is a real winner for the NES on Switch library it's a very goofy game and there's not much quite like it in the world.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Most importantly it gives you more than 5-6 minutes of gameplay.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

StarTropics does own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

should put Genesis games on the online service instead. in fact where is my Sega Ages release of Streets of Rage 2? M2 and Sega do great classic re-releases but the only bad thing is it legit takes them forever to port or localize anything. Do they just not have a big team anymore/have no monies or what, it seems like they're constantly behind the curve with putting stuff outside Japan.