Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there could have been something left behind or even just that period of time was enough to affect things. we don't actually know yet, just that the tree where it happened is somewhat weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jesus's dick fell off and is the source of the wall eyes.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Inflammatory posted:

lmao at calling pucci straight

Pucci's platonic love for Dio transcended time.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Expect My Mom posted:

Serious answer: He got the rib cage corpse parr some time before we see him handsome so almost certainly that

I put it down to Araki not deciding how D4C worked ahead of time. Wasn't there a part where there were like 10 Valentines having a meeting?

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Funky Valentine posted:

Jesus's dick fell off and is the source of the wall eyes.

Josuke's second pair isn't Kira's, it's from the holy corpse.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Is there a good way to pace yourself reading manga? I wanna re-read Steel Ball Run, and I think I blitzed through it my first time because it was cool as poo poo.

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

multijoe posted:

The real telling moment with Valentine is when he legit convinces Johnny to back down and make peace with him and is completely free to walk away and achieve his goals unmolested and thinks 'when his guard is dropped and I've made a solumn vow on my father's honour to leave him be - that's when I'll murder him'. Just an absolute piece of poo poo.

He is absolutely a piece of poo poo and it's a lovely thing to do, but this particular bit of shittiness is completely in keeping with the rest of his mission. He's invested everything in seizing the holy corpse so that its power can guarantee American supremacy. Then Tusk Act 4 comes along and effortlessly punches through Love Train. The existence of a power that can overcome the holy corpse renders his whole plan empty. Valentine can't achieve his goal of a completely uncontested American reign so long as Tusk Act 4 exists, no longer how unaggressive and cooperative its user may be for now. Tusk Act 4's power is a threat to America, so Johnny has to go.

Meme Emulator posted:

Its been a while since I read Steel Ball Run but in the end the corpse ends up locked up in Manhattan and under the control of the US, right? I always felt like World War 2 was the culmination of bad luck being projected away from the United States and in the end every other major power got reduced to ashes and the US was there to profit from it

One thing that frustrates me about Steel Ball Run is that Valentine more or less achieves what he wanted, but we don't really know how that affected anything (if at all). I'd figure that having the US shielded by a magical tragedy-deflecting aegis would have some pretty radical implications for history, but we never hear about any. I've always found the World War 2 theory personally unsatisfying because WW2 already happened in our timeline (and presumably in the Part 1-6 timeline) without Jesus's help.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Gaius Marius posted:

Wait did they succeed? I thought the walleyes were caused by all the Jesus in the soil.
They did! and that still might be the cause. They talk about how Daiya used to play where a Wall Eye would later be and went blind as a child so my theory is that the 2011 earthquake shook something up and finally made them come above ground

Zeruel posted:

Is there a good way to pace yourself reading manga? I wanna re-read Steel Ball Run, and I think I blitzed through it my first time because it was cool as poo poo.
you could join the Part 7 re-read thread I keep thinking about doing after the part 5 anime ends if people were interested

I'm thinking three volumes a week, so that's two months?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Expect My Mom posted:

They did! and that still might be the cause. They talk about how Daiya used to play where a Wall Eye would later be and went blind as a child so my theory is that the 2011 earthquake shook something up and finally made them come above ground

you could join the Part 7 re-read thread I keep thinking about doing after the part 5 anime ends if people were interested

I'm thinking three volumes a week, so that's two months?

Dope, sign me up if you do. I probably know a few people who would wanna follow it too.
Excited to re-read Diego's poo poo with Scary monsters and eating「rocks」.

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 6, 2019

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Does the corpse even do the damage reflection thing, or anything else, when it's locked in the Manhattan bunker? I thought that Valentine or whoever else had to activate it and that it was just sitting there otherwise.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
what was even the purpose of the corpse

why'd jesus go through all this effort to ensure his dead body could only do evil things and then get locked in a vault

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The corpse works on it's own when it's united together.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Tetracube posted:

what was even the purpose of the corpse

why'd jesus go through all this effort to ensure his dead body could only do evil things and then get locked in a vault
uhh

he didn't

he just happened to be the son of god and then died. i think he makes a map to show joseph where his body parts would be, but that's more seeing the future than any direct will. when we see jesus appear before characters, he never seems to have a goal, just giving them advice and also impregnating people with his head

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 6, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Expect My Mom posted:

uhh

he didn't

he just happened to be the son of god and then died.

i can't endorse that

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I just realized I've spoiled myself on Part 5 by reading Part 6 first. I forget the specifics but in Part 6 Pucci gets all the Sons of DIO together and Giorno isn't there. That means Giorno dies in Part 5, right?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i wont tell you

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I just realized I've spoiled myself on Part 5 by reading Part 6 first. I forget the specifics but in Part 6 Pucci gets all the Sons of DIO together and Giorno isn't there. That means Giorno dies in Part 5, right?

He's there, somewhere. Basically Araki forgot.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Giorno - He should be around here somewhere...

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Giorno was too busy enjoying Disney World to care about Gravity

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Mista would want to take pictures with all the people in costume and Trish would post heavily filtered pics of the magic kingdom at night to her instagram

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

overmind2000 posted:

Giorno was too busy enjoying Disney World to care about Gravity
Giorno: Here the gently caress is Mickey! He was real easy to find, you'd have to be a total idiot not to find him! Boy I can't wait to tell Mis - *Made in Heaven does it's final speed-up*

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I saw a book at barnes and nobles, I forget the name but I think it was called "100 manga artists" or something like that. Decided to leaf through it to see if araki was in it, he was, and the pages they included were one page of star platinum doing some stuff from part 3 and another page that was jolyne about to be killed by made in heaven while emporio was screaming and man that's a hell of a page to shove in there lol

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Expect My Mom posted:

uhh

he didn't

he just happened to be the son of god and then died. i think he makes a map to show joseph where his body parts would be, but that's more seeing the future than any direct will. when we see jesus appear before characters, he never seems to have a goal, just giving them advice and also impregnating people with his head

the point being

a) his corpse was only useful for evil things and
b) he doesn't seem to care and in fact makes the parts easier to find

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tetracube posted:

Seems realistic to me, considering a lot of poo poo Christians get down to.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Waffleman_ posted:

Seems realistic to me, considering a lot of poo poo Christians get down to.

Almost as if it's a metaphor or something. :thunk:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Metaphor? Never even heardaphor.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm still betting on Jesus being a Joestar from the previous world.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Tetracube posted:

the point being

I don't think that's true, Valentine just used it backwards. Much like Jesus sacrificed himself and took all of humanities sins onto himself, his stand is supposed to be used to redirect the misfortune of others onto the user. But since Valentine did not believe in helping everyone, he either consiously or unconsiously reversed the effect.

Honest Thief posted:

I'm still betting on Jesus being a Joestar from the previous world.

Someone pointed this out in this thread before: Joshua, son of Joseph

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't think that Jesus' power to bring all good things to a localized area and push all bad things to another area is inherently an evil power, it's just clearly terrible when used by someone who would twist such a divine power that could provide good for the entire planet into one that provides safety solely for himself and his own position of power entirely at the expense of the meek who should properly inherit this ability and the lands that it creates.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There is inherently no good way to use that power because all that bad explicitly has to go somewhere. Yeah maybe it all gets shuttled to a planet of Nazis but you can't know or control that, and unless you have a "deserving" subject you're just inflicting harms that are by all rights your own on other people.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arist posted:

There is inherently no good way to use that power because all that bad explicitly has to go somewhere.

Bring all the bad into yourself, assuredly sacrificing your life for the sake of others. :hist101:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was thinking more specifically about the application of "sending the bad things away," but yes, you're right, that's probably the "good" way.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I mean, that's what Jesus did

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Arist posted:

There is inherently no good way to use that power because all that bad explicitly has to go somewhere. Yeah maybe it all gets shuttled to a planet of Nazis but you can't know or control that, and unless you have a "deserving" subject you're just inflicting harms that are by all rights your own on other people.

Now I'm thinking how could we tie in Star Trek into Jojo's?

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
And what better commentary than to show what happens when an American politician takes that and uses it for imperialism and to prop of America as the shining city on the hill.

Man I want that SBR book club thread now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Arist posted:

Bring it onto yourself or use it to send the bad to a designated barren place that will not have any effect on life or nature as we know it.

As opposed to using the power of Christ to cause wanton uncontrollable destruction in foreign countries

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

BaDandy posted:

And what better commentary than to show what happens when an American politician takes that and uses it for imperialism and to prop of America as the shining city on the hill.

Man I want that SBR book club thread now.
i'm gonna do it like the monday after the anime ends

i would like it to be a spoiler free place for anime onlys to keep the jojo going while we wait for part 6, but i feel it'll mostly be manga folks just discussing stuff as it happens

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
could maybe do it earlier too if people want to, a fun thing to start during the break week and have two different jojo discussions going

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Has Araki ever gone into how he designs the various villains from different parts, how he gets his inspiration for their designs?

Basically I am convinced that the fake Captain Tennille is Araki's take on Tom of Finland's art but I have absolutely no way of proving that and it is all just conjecture but I am curious if Araki ever went into his inspirations for any of part 3's villains. I know he has cribbed from other media before and that Jojo is kind of a big melting pot of whatever pop culture stuff Araki likes mashed together and mostly smoothed out and I feel like chances are he is probably familiar with Tom of Finland's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
There should be a stand named Jocko Homo. I don’t know what it would do though.