Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I heard of a trick from a local player where you can somehow make your gotcha "get stuck" on a location where it will then continue to spin any stops and gyms even if you're actually physically somewhere else.

How does that work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Wheany posted:

I heard of a trick from a local player where you can somehow make your gotcha "get stuck" on a location where it will then continue to spin any stops and gyms even if you're actually physically somewhere else.

How does that work?

On Android at least you can just stand in a spot with access to multiple stops, turn off location services and the game will happily leave you planted there spinning the stops every 5 minutes with a go+ or gotcha. Can't interact with them on screen, but the peripheral still tags them. The connection to the go+/gotcha will automatically time out after an hour.

Dunno if there's an individual location toggle on iOS to do this.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Well hell I gotta try this now

e: Parked on a nearby gym, went into the settings and turned off location permissions for PoGo and got another spin on the gym while very much not at the gym. Shortly after, the app restarted itself, not sure if it's a failsafe or just "flipping from pogo to something else and back" made it freak out. I'll try it again later without babysitting the app and see how long it lasts.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 6, 2019

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Vegastar posted:

On Android at least you can just stand in a spot with access to multiple stops, turn off location services and the game will happily leave you planted there spinning the stops every 5 minutes with a go+ or gotcha. Can't interact with them on screen, but the peripheral still tags them. The connection to the go+/gotcha will automatically time out after an hour.

Dunno if there's an individual location toggle on iOS to do this.

I didn't know you could do that but I do know that you can also just minimize PoGo to run in the background and it'll do the same thing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Round 2 on iOS, seems to work even while the “GPS Signal Not Found” is up but only while the app is in the foreground, it seems

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Does Pachirisu spawn in Sweden?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

Does Pachirisu spawn in Sweden?

I believe not.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
For the last week or so I've been pokemon go-ing

These 3 guys are all from today

This dude was from the pokemon day event

Also hit level 24 today! Not bad considering how sporadically I play

PK
Apr 30, 2004

EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE! EXFOLIATE!
Excited to see Rayquanza is coming back, I missed out the first time around.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Fingers crossed for shinies. Shiny Rayquaza is one of the most sought-after shinies ever.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Fingers crossed for shinies. Shiny Rayquaza is one of the most sought-after shinies ever.

No shiny unfortunately

For gently caress's sake Niantic, put out already

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Japanese Twitter post has the addendum that there's no shiny Rayquaza for the event:

https://twitter.com/PokemonGOAppJP/status/1103400433656229888

※今回のイベントでは、色違いの「レックウザ」は出現いたしません。

"In this event, different colors of 'Rayquaza' will not appear" is the direct translation.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Parrotine posted:

No shiny unfortunately

For gently caress's sake Niantic, put out already

Oh that's some bullshit! :argh:

PK
Apr 30, 2004

Hopefully that's a typo :ohdear: I really want a shiny Ray Ray

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I only got 3 Rayquaza, of which blow so hell yeah I'll raid for it especially since I'm not brokebrained for shinies.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Japanese Twitter replies: "Why no shiny?"

English Twitter replies: "THIS IS A BIG MISTAKE NIANTIC YOU ARE GONNA LOSE SO MUCH MONEY I MIGHT JUST QUIT THE GAME RIGHT NOW"

I'm just :munch: about all this because on one hand, maybe the rancor will get Niantic to crack and give us shiny, but on the other, I don't have to prepare myself for super hard raiding.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I dunno by they haven’t done another of those raid days yet like they did with the birds and gengar. It’s been like four months now?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Shinies were a mistake

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kheldarn posted:

Shinies were a mistake

:emptyquote:

PK
Apr 30, 2004

Noxville posted:

I dunno by they haven’t done another of those raid days yet like they did with the birds and gengar. It’s been like four months now?

The birds were during the summer months, maybe they're planning more for next summer?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Kheldarn posted:

Shinies were a mistake

Disagree, the mayhem they cause is amazing. I can only imagine how much more insane people are about shinies in the actual games.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Louisgod posted:

Disagree, the mayhem they cause is amazing. I can only imagine how much more insane people are about shinies in the actual games.

They’re so vanishingly rare no one really cares about them in the mainline games. Usually you’ll only see shinies of hacked Pokémon, old generation ones using the trick to predict their random number generator outputs, or the infamous Red Gyrados.

On the flip side the mainline games have so much content you could spend a thousand hours on them. POGO is paper thin so people seek out stuff to set as goals.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I love shiny hunting in Pogo and it's basically my favourite part of the game now.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Louisgod posted:

There's a few maingame shiny hunters. But ultra sun / moon made it much easier to get shinies so the luster wore off. Beating the endgame content is much more interesting.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Willsun posted:

Japanese Twitter post has the addendum that there's no shiny Rayquaza for the event:

https://twitter.com/PokemonGOAppJP/status/1103400433656229888

※今回のイベントでは、色違いの「レックウザ」は出現いたしません。

"In this event, different colors of 'Rayquaza' will not appear" is the direct translation.

色違い is actually the word they use specifically for shinies in Japanese. It doesn't sound as exciting as shiny at all

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

PK posted:

The birds were during the summer months, maybe they're planning more for next summer?

Legendary dog days

:effort:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

BGrifter posted:

They’re so vanishingly rare no one really cares about them in the mainline games. Usually you’ll only see shinies of hacked Pokémon, old generation ones using the trick to predict their random number generator outputs, or the infamous Red Gyrados.

The shinies in mainline games aren't THAT rare since you can grind it out one way or another, but it's just the likelihood of one having the best stats/nature are very unlikely. At least in Sun/Moon you can hyper train them to have good stats if you nab the right nature.

God, thinking about natures I'm so glad that's not in Pokemon Go because that would drive a lot of people up the wall.

BabyRyoga posted:

色違い is actually the word they use specifically for shinies in Japanese. It doesn't sound as exciting as shiny at all

Yeah I know. Localization could probably even call it Color Variant or something instead of "different color" but I just copied verbatim what auto translate said.

I'm betting all the really rabid responses about no shinies are still going to raid anyway because hell, it's a friggin' Rayquaza. After Dialga, there's not gonna be any good gen 4 legendaries so you better take what you can get. I'm still going to be happy if the Lake Trio is coming out for the butt rear end hot months of summer.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I don't have Rayquaza, so this will be cool. I've already got two Dialga to throw at it, though one has steel head and one has thunder. Also all three of my Mamoswine have ancient power. This is sounding less promising as I go along.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I don't have Rayquaza, so this will be cool. I've already got two Dialga to throw at it, though one has steel head and one has thunder. Also all three of my Mamoswine have ancient power. This is sounding less promising as I go along.

Good news! You can use your new dragon time buddies against uncle ray ray since he takes neutral damage against his dragon attacks :3:

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Kinda excited to grab myself a Rayquaza as well. I only a few days ago had a chance to meet up with the local PoGo group so I actually did my first legendary raid just then. Got a Dialga with draco meteor that is my currently best pokemon going by points, so I imagine that's gonna help a bit there.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
Hey my first research reward this month was Regirock, the only one of the three I was missing. So now I don't need to do research until May I guess

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Willsun posted:

The shinies in mainline games aren't THAT rare since you can grind it out one way or another, but it's just the likelihood of one having the best stats/nature are very unlikely. At least in Sun/Moon you can hyper train them to have good stats if you nab the right nature.

God, thinking about natures I'm so glad that's not in Pokemon Go because that would drive a lot of people up the wall.

Yeah that’s fair. Anything without the right nature/IVs was just trash before hyper training, and now the nature is still mandatory. You can get shinies, but with the right nature and all 31 IVs was insanely rare if you weren’t using a RNG exploit.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

natures are a fuckin terrible mechanic, full stop

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Caught a shiny Mankey! Love my little green boy

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I’ve been having a bug for the past month where I can’t see the names of attacks. Is there any fix for it? My app’s up to date (iOS)

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 7, 2019

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
I think I read that's a known issue on certain devices. iPhone 5S, I think it was.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Vegastar posted:

On Android at least you can just stand in a spot with access to multiple stops, turn off location services and the game will happily leave you planted there spinning the stops every 5 minutes with a go+ or gotcha.

Just tried this and it works. There are a couple of stops near my home within spinning distance of each other and now I can easily stock up on gifts and red balls without having to freeze my dick off. Just walk there, turn on gotcha and turn off location services, walk back home, poast about it.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Anybody else buy a phone swing?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Is that like a sex swing but for your phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

HookShot posted:

Is that like a sex swing but for your phone?

It's a sex swing but for single people