Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

In the grim darkness of the not so distant future, the forever war will be between electronic plagiarism detectors and AI essay mills, and any learning that occurs will be entirely tangential to this process.

The AI quickly learns that the best way to defeat the plagiarism detectors is to come up with original work. Within a week, all research is completed and no mysteries remain

E: belleh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
education is mostly collateral damage but that's okay because on a societal level it's worth burning the time of 90% of the class for the 10% of people that actually do something with it. would that we could find that 10% at age five rather than fifty

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

Until I got to university, education was literally 100% about passing tests. I didn't actually learn anything and I can't remember anything I studied. It was just put useless information in head, pour information out of head onto paper at end of year. Which is entirely useless in this day and age when I can just google whatever information I need.

When I got to university, I also didn't learn anything, because I did a useless degree that was predicated on your ability to follow instructions, basically, and the only bit of independent work was something I already knew how to do, which was part of why I picked the course in the first place.

So i'm gonna say most education that happens to people is pointless and dumb and you should cheat at it if that helps because you shouldn't be penalised for an inability to do pointless and dumb things. It exists so you can wave a bit of paper at an employer so they might spend more than a couple of seconds looking at your CV. Nothing more.

Oh hi are you me?

I literally didn't learn to actually learn stuff until I was at Master's level. And I've literally never used anything I learned at University. With the wisdom of hindsight, I really wish I'd done something practical instead, I'd probably not have a mortgage any more if I'd been a plumber.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The AI quickly learns that the best way to defeat the plagiarism detectors is to come up with original work. Within a week, all research is completed and no mysteries remain

E: belleh

Given how machine learning works it's probably more likely to develop a particular form of garbled nonsense that the plagiarism detector believes is brilliantly insightful and within a week Alex Jones's nightmares finally come to fruition as he is replaced by a computer.

thespaceinvader posted:

Oh hi are you me?

I literally didn't learn to actually learn stuff until I was at Master's level. And I've literally never used anything I learned at University. With the wisdom of hindsight, I really wish I'd done something practical instead, I'd probably not have a mortgage any more if I'd been a plumber.

No joke I find myself increasingly wishing that I'd been exposed to some sort of practical skill when I was a kid cos I think my life would have been very different. The only experience I had with DT was in mid secondary school and it was all sitting in the machine shop doing technical drawings rather than playing with the machines so I hated it and immediately dropped it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 6, 2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It depends if any human eyes are involved in the process at any point. if the essays also have to be marked and marked well, by humans, then there's a whole mess of external factors the AIs can't account for.

If it was just AIs, I'd assume the AI essays would quickly become either entirely random streams of words/letters (particularly if there was a length requirement), or they'd just start returning empty files because empty files can't match anything.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Judging by real world AI, I bet what would actually happen is the essay mill AI would find one word that the digital plagiarism detector can't detect, and all essays are that word repeated at random lengths.

Academia 2035: amphisbaena amphisbaena amphisbaena amphisbaena amphisbaena amphisbaena amphisbaena

e:

OwlFancier posted:

Given how machine learning works it's probably more likely to develop a particular form of garbled nonsense that the plagiarism detector believes is brilliantly insightful and within a week Alex Jones's nightmares finally come to fruition as he is replaced by a computer.
:hfive:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Guavanaut posted:

e: ^^ :hfive:

Judging by real world AI, I bet what would actually happen is the essay mill AI would find one word that the digital plagiarism detector can't detect, and all essays are that word repeated at random lengths.

Academia 2035: amphisbaena amphisbaena amphisbaena amphisbaena amphisbaena amphisbaena amphisbaena

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

No joke I find myself increasingly wishing that I'd been exposed to some sort of practical skill when I was a kid cos I think my life would have been very different. The only experience I had with DT was in mid secondary school and it was all sitting in the machine shop doing technical drawings rather than playing with the machines so I hated it and immediately dropped it.

I'm genuinely in the process of starting up a side gig making stuff by hand and am seriously considering trying to get into production prop-making.

It's so much more satisfying than any admin role I've ever done.

The university treadmill is genuinely harming people's prospects at this point, and it's a captialist problem. The longer you can keep people in education, especially higher eduction, the more money you can get out of them before you have to start paying them.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

[quote="Vlex" post="493129131"]
Desperate people do desperate, silly things, like copy a wikipedia page and not change any words, because in their mind submitting something (anything) is better than not meeting the expectations of the figure of authority.

They're wrong, of course, but the answer is to provide adequate support and a framework in which they can develop as scholars.
/quote]

Yeah, you're right, usually the best thing is talking to the student if you catch them in the act anyway instead of jumping to conclusions.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Thanks for all the book recs, I went with Secret State in the end cause I really enjoyed Command and Control but I've made a note of the other stuff for next time. :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given this thread loves project binky and is apparently half composed of academics and half machinists, at least half of you should enjoy this which combines machining + dad jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ngNtK9tKME

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Nam Taf posted:

Brexit was always a choice between “do we see significant price increases to many products for a decade or more, or do we shoot our manufacturing industry?”

It'll be a mercy killing, really, considering it's already been gutted.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

Thanks for all the book recs, I went with Secret State in the end cause I really enjoyed Command and Control but I've made a note of the other stuff for next time. :v:

Secret State is great but you'll finish it with a feeling that we did actually all die around 1968 and this is just a mass hallucination, because it seems a more plausible explanation than us actually surviving the sheer lunacy on display there.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Given this thread loves project binky and is apparently half composed of academics and half machinists, at least half of you should enjoy this which combines machining + dad jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ngNtK9tKME

This Old Tony is great but not a favourite of mine. I have a list of woodworking youtubes a mile long though if anyone cares.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Vlex posted:

So it doesn't matter if people don't do the work, as long as they...do the...work? :psyduck:

It matters for someone's grades if they do no work at all, whether they plagiarize or not. This does not make plagiarism bad in itself. A a plagiarist may have sufficient critical skills already, plus an ability to prioritise their time effectively.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I enjoyed this, especially "The Confederate flag has been a symbol of racism for a long time, but when the Civil War started and the Cvil War ended, many people suddenly began to see it differently."

thespaceinvader posted:

The university treadmill is genuinely harming people's prospects at this point, and it's a captialist problem. The longer you can keep people in education, especially higher eduction, the more money you can get out of them before you have to start paying them.
Yeah, I think a big point of where we're getting sidetracked is from Coohoolin's original post "plagiarism is considered a totally normally and fine thing to do at a high school or university level".

Plagiarism at high school level is a totally different thing to plagiarism at a university level. High school you're doing a bunch of different subjects, some of which you'll be good at, some you'll be bad at, some you'll be interested in, some you won't.

You can draw your own Boston matrix out of that, but under those circumstances copying from the good at chemistry person for chemistry and letting them copy from you for geography can be considered a skill in itself.

It's far more like what you'll be doing in the real world than becoming good at paper tests for a dozen different subjects taught in half hour blocks, and if anything secondary education should be based more around things where 'plagiarism' means 'actually getting good at the thing'. Not just woodwork as I said above, but how to manage group projects without one person doing all the work, how to convince and influence, and yeah, how to find poo poo online, verify it (this is important), and copy it.

Plagiarism at a university level, especially where it's students buying essays from essay mills, seems like a different beast. One that academia definitely fed and nurtured when they commodified further education, but one that's probably detrimental to something.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I wish A levels actually prepared you for how you're supposed to work at University. Not everyone who is able to go to University hits the ground running when they get there. I struggled for the first couple of years because no one ever explained that most of the learning was done outside of the lectures, and they were just there to point you in the right direction. I was never taught how to go about doing my own research or asking for help or how to actually get started looking into a topic. Pretty much the only thing I was taught beforehand was to use Oxford referencing style.

I finally got it together in the final year but those first two years were pretty isolating and lovely from an academic perspective.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It goes in two ways. if you're at uni because you have to be to get a job, versus if you're at uni because you want to be, to learn about a subject.

(And the latter is probably not as useful as it's made out to be, because in order to get any use out of that subject you probably have to do a master's, if not a doctorate in many fields)

I'd honestly argue that an awful lot of academia has been rendered pointless by search engines, now. Unless you're doing original research or confirmation studies for original research, it's a much more valuable practical skill to be able to find information than it is to learn and remember it. Like it's a much more valuable skill to be able to input a calculation into excel and sense-check that the answer it's giving is correct, than it is to be able to do that calculation by hand. But the people writing the curricula haven't caught up with this concept yet.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Secret State is great but you'll finish it with a feeling that we did actually all die around 1968 and this is just a mass hallucination, because it seems a more plausible explanation than us actually surviving the sheer lunacy on display there.
I already subscribe to that "all probable realities blew themselves up, we're in a lunatic fringe dimension" theory. :v:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Oh dear me posted:

It matters for someone's grades if they do no work at all, whether they plagiarize or not. This does not make plagiarism bad in itself. A a plagiarist may have sufficient critical skills already, plus an ability to prioritise their time effectively.

The #1 way to reliably and systematically assess whether a cohort possesses a given skill or understanding of a topic is a standardised test of knowledge and/or ability. Contrary to the trendy feel-good ~*unique learning styles*~ stuff that came into vogue about 10 years ago (which is in the process of being debunked), there is no substitute for this.

A lot of people will read that, cross-reference it with their university experience, and think I mean that essays and exams are the gold standard. This is not true any longer - many of the good lecturers I know go to great lengths to innovate in learning techniques beyond the lecture-essay-exam format for courses.

One of the very few, probably unintended, upsides of the commodification of HE is that learning outcomes, course syllabuses, and marking criteria have becomes extremely explicit and clearly laid out, in theory making it easier than ever for students to get a good mark.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also disappointed that nobody has plagiarized posted this yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL4vWJbwmqM

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, I think a big point of where we're getting sidetracked is from Coohoolin's original post "plagiarism is considered a totally normally and fine thing to do at a high school or university level".

Plagiarism at high school level is a totally different thing to plagiarism at a university level. High school you're doing a bunch of different subjects, some of which you'll be good at, some you'll be bad at, some you'll be interested in, some you won't.

You can draw your own Boston matrix out of that, but under those circumstances copying from the good at chemistry person for chemistry and letting them copy from you for geography can be considered a skill in itself.

It's far more like what you'll be doing in the real world than becoming good at paper tests for a dozen different subjects taught in half hour blocks, and if anything secondary education should be based more around things where 'plagiarism' means 'actually getting good at the thing'. Not just woodwork as I said above, but how to manage group projects without one person doing all the work, how to convince and influence, and yeah, how to find poo poo online, verify it (this is important), and copy it.

Plagiarism at a university level, especially where it's students buying essays from essay mills, seems like a different beast. One that academia definitely fed and nurtured when they commodified further education, but one that's probably detrimental to something.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I just found a list of rules and regulations at work and I'd love to meet whoever caused them to put "don't invigilate exams while wearing flip-flops" in writing. :v:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Seems the negotiations went about as well as a fifty metre dive into boiling water

https://twitter.com/DanielBoffey/status/1103234035273420800

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Myself and 6 others got hauled up in uni for plagiarism, the course was programming basic and we'd all submitted near identical source code. Of course those who submitted something sufficiently different didn't have a working program. After a little careful arguing we all got sent away with a "we're watching you, don't put a foot out of line ever, we know your sort", because no one in academia will ever admit they're wrong.

(We didn't plagarise anything, but if you made working code of course it would look nearly identical)

thespaceinvader posted:

This Old Tony is great but not a favourite of mine. I have a list of woodworking youtubes a mile long though if anyone cares.

Please share.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

cakesmith handyman posted:

Myself and 6 others got hauled up in uni for plagiarism, the course was programming basic and we'd all submitted near identical source code. Of course those who submitted something sufficiently different didn't have a working program. After a little careful arguing we all got sent away with a "we're watching you, don't put a foot out of line ever, we know your sort", because no one in academia will ever admit they're wrong.

(We didn't plagarise anything, but if you made working code of course it would look nearly identical)
Yeah, that's the problem with plagiarism detectors where there's 'a right answer' rather than an essay or a point to be answered. And also why doing plagiarism detection at the high school level (where it's a lot more likely that there's a right answer that the teacher is looking for than a style or method) is loving dumb.

Rarity posted:

You can draw your own Boston matrix out of that
:same:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

that's missing "lol this is dumb and I'm interested in taking it further" which is basically The Goonilla Mindset

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Matthias Wandel is great and has a huge back catalogue but isn't that active right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?Matthiaswandel

Frank Howarth is chill as gently caress and does some very cool turning projects
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?urbanTrash?

I suspect you have probably seen Jimmy Diresta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?jimmydiresta

Bob Claggett too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?iliketomakestuffcom

That's a few of the best for now.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Vlex posted:

The #1 way to reliably and systematically assess whether a cohort possesses a given skill or understanding of a topic is a standardised test of knowledge and/or ability.

You're not arguing with anything anyone has said now, I think. Horror of plagiarism is indeed driven by the need to grade people (and grew as coursework took over from exams).

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Vlex posted:

The #1 way to reliably and systematically assess whether a cohort possesses a given skill or understanding of a topic is a standardised test of knowledge and/or ability. Contrary to the trendy feel-good ~*unique learning styles*~ stuff that came into vogue about 10 years ago (which is in the process of being debunked), there is no substitute for this.

This just isn’t true in the way you portray. The advantages of standardised testing is that it’s scalable to a large population for the purposes of comparing individual performance, which is only good in the context of a system that thinks an individual’s specific performance compared to other individuals in the same context is the purpose of education, i.e., educational qualifications as an economic signal.

This is not the only purpose of education, and even if it were, the reality is that almost all economic activity does not happen in isolated contexts, so the cross-applicability is dubious. The problem then becomes how you can scale a better assessment to a bigger population, and given that there are frameworks for that, it’s really a question of educational funding rather than one of “there’s no substitute”.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

cakesmith handyman posted:

Verbose and creatively sweary //comments are your friend here. Everyone on my course knew when a piece of code was mine because minimum 50% of the text was me losing my poo poo on the right hand side of the page in an attempt to make sense of things.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

thespaceinvader posted:

Frank Howarth is chill as gently caress and does some very cool turning projects
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?urbanTrash?

That's a few of the best for now.

I'm familiar with the others but I'll check Howarth out, thanks.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pilchenstein posted:

I just found a list of rules and regulations at work and I'd love to meet whoever caused them to put "don't invigilate exams while wearing flip-flops" in writing. :v:

Tbf if the invigilator is particularly given to wander around and those flip flops are slapping away, that'd be the exact kind of thing I'd find not only distracting but enraging

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
incredible that the government have decided immediately after brexit is the time to implement a feature on porn sites requiring bank details as proof of age

https://news.sky.com/story/porn-websites-to-check-uk-users-ages-as-law-passes-11604331

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is good

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

I have no idea what's going on with this but I have a sudden impulse to burn everything

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

I have no idea what's going on with this but I have a sudden impulse to burn everything

The true Sumerian bloodline died out with the Norman invasion.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Liz fought the nazis so she gets a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rarity posted:

It's mocking both the David Icke reptile fanclub and the idea of hereditary monarchy, it's good.

SlateStar/Scott Alexander suffers from the Liberalism, but he's done some solid takedowns of the dork enlightenment neoreactionaries and the purestrain gold libertarians.