Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

OscarDiggs posted:

I guess no one has read it then.

Can I ask then, can anyone recommend any uplifting literature? After "Something Happened" I don't have it in me to go back to bleak Russian stuff just yet.

Love in the Time of Cholera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Virgil's Eclogues

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Love in the Time of Cholera

I don't think I'm good enough to understand a poet like Virgil yet but Love in the Time of Cholera looks perfect. Thanks a lot both of you.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

OscarDiggs posted:

I don't think I'm good enough to understand a poet like Virgil yet but Love in the Time of Cholera looks perfect. Thanks a lot both of you.

If you want a third rec, John Irving books are pretty uplifting by the end. A Prayer For Owen Meany is my go-to rec for him.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Don Quixote.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

OscarDiggs posted:

I don't think I'm good enough to understand a poet like Virgil yet

its just a bunch of shepherds flirting with each other, except for eclogue 4, in which virgil predicts the birth of Christ

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I'll add them onto the list then.

And I have been meaning to go back to Don Quixote...

Thanks all.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Franchescanado posted:

If you want a third rec, John Irving books are pretty uplifting by the end. A Prayer For Owen Meany is my go-to rec for him.

So very much this

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Don Quixote is a downer imo

Mrenda posted:

Today I read the National Library/Hamlet Shakespeare theory bit of Ulysses. And by read I mean the words were perceived and acknowledged by a certain part of my brain. I think the movement of the characters was apparent, one level of understanding who these people were and what they stood for, yet the detail of what they were saying flew right over my head.

Aside from all the Shakespearean ways of speaking the library bit is difficult because it's essentially an interrupted essay itself written in Stephen Dedalus's pompous and referential style. I like it though, it's a weird and fun bit of literary play. I could lay out the argument more if you want because it links thematically to what's going on in the rest of the book although it doesn't have any direct bearing on it all and glossing over bits of Ulysses you don't enjoy is kind of part of it I think.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
So, I just got around to reading Hemmingway’s The Old Man and the Sea, and it really struck a chord me. Probably because I read it at *just* the right time in my life (late 30’s, starting to get hit in the gut by the concept of aging and the consequence of choices made in my earlier life, and all of that poo poo).

I also just loved how it’s a blow-by-blow story of a working class guy who’s ended up in a really bad place, who’s trying, desperately, to get out of the hole and get a big score. Dude’s gone eighty-four days without catching a fish, so he’s trying to catch a really big fish and even it out and get by and get some yellow rice for dinner. You can see how it will blow up in his face. You see how much he’s hosed, but you also know exactly why he’s doing what he’s doing. Poor Santiago. Like the Kid character, I really just wanted to help that old man from the very beginning of the story. Buy him some supper and some bait.

Was a little sad when I talked to my dad about the book. He’s kind of a super-utilitarian, introspective, working class sort of guy, and he said that he read in in high school but was bugged by all the symbolism and didn’t really like it. I bet if he read it again, being an old guy who’s gone man-against-nature a couple of times, he might have a different perspective on the book.

I understand there’s a lot of biblical symbolism going on in the book too, but I must admit that since I was raised pretty secular most of that went over my head. All that really struck me was that Santiago’s views are informed a bit by Catholicism, and that he has a great appreciation and awe of the natural world (and that the book imparts that on you, too. That fish was noble. Possibly the hero of the story).

Though I was left wondering who, if anyone, was supposed to be Jesus in the allegory? The fish? Santiago? The kid?

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead imo

Have you read Flights? I read it recently and I was really underwhelmed. Is Drive your plow... one narrative? I liked some of the longer stories in Flights so maybe I’d like this one better

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
holy poo poo The Blind Owl is loving awesome. it gives you one of those great feelings as a reader a third of the way in that you're reading something really special.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

holy poo poo The Blind Owl is loving awesome. it gives you one of those great feelings as a reader a third of the way in that you're reading something really special.

I've got this on my list thanks to Mathias Enard, glad it is good :tipshat:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

blind owl is good. I’m still grateful for how Stravinsky spread it around on here before they stopped posting

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I'm reading The Novel of Ferrara about some people who lived in a town during the 20th century

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

They’re awarding two Nobels for literature in October LMAO

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

one for murakami and one for kanye

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Wonder what Murakami is going to do with all that money.

ed: aw dammit

publishko
Feb 16, 2014

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

congrats to Murakami, both Haruki and Ryu

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Excited to receive the first nobel for posts this autumn

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

in light of the other responses I would like to change my joke to 'they're going to give out more and more nobels every time until murakami dies still not having received one'

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I would like my good friend Gerald Murnane to win the nobel prize. Thank you.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Congrats to Pynchon for winning not one, but two Nobels. Wow!

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

A human heart posted:

Murnane and Krasznahorkai.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Some Norwegian REALLY wants to meet Dylan

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
https://uproxx.com/tv/one-hundred-years-of-solitude-netflix/

man this is probably gonna suck

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

I really want to see that John Turturro Name of the Rose miniseries that just got released in Italy but I'm not sure how to find it on American television.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/john-turturro-the-name-of-the-rose-series-umberto-eco-rai-sundance-1203028351/

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Boatswain posted:

Murnane and Krasznahorkai.

It feels like the Krasz is still too young to get it, but thinking about it hes 65..

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

A human heart posted:

Thank you

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm just hoping that we get more than a mini-series because I think its time for a high-budget Marquezverse to hit the screens so writers can expand on the lore.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Can't wait for YouTube to be filled with video essays about the latest GMCU developments.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 6, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Is Malquiades really dead? 10 hints from the newest ep.

publishko
Feb 16, 2014
Is Macondo actually set in the post-apocalyptic far-future? A deep lore dive. [5 hours]

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
I’m reading Beowulf for the first time since I never had to read it in high school and somehow managed to get through a bachelor’s and master’s in English without having to read it in college either and honestly I’m kinda pissed it’s taken me this long.

This story is metal as gently caress.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Doctor Faustine posted:

I’m reading Beowulf for the first time since I never had to read it in high school and somehow managed to get through a bachelor’s and master’s in English without having to read it in college either and honestly I’m kinda pissed it’s taken me this long.

This story is metal as gently caress.

Which translation are you reading? I've been meaning to read it for ages myself and I want a good one. Paging chernobyl kinsman too.

(bonus points if it still starts with "Hwæt!")

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I read heaney's which was good but I forget the first word.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
I’m reading the Seamus Heaney translation. I’ll be honest I have no idea what’s actually considered the best translation, but I’ve enjoyed a lot of Heaney’s poetry so I figured it would be a safe bet for me.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Boatswain posted:

I read heaney's which was good but I forget the first word.

It's "So." iirc. Anyway, Heaney's is good, an academic staple

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
a lot of academics have strong opinions about heaney's translation. it's a lovely poem, but it isn't especially close to the text. he takes a fair degree of liberty. if you're just reading it for pleasure, though, then it's very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I just saw my copy in the bookshelf the other day so I was able to find it quickly, the first word is indeed "So."