Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Today is the darkest day in Danish politics since Fogh committed to Iraq.

Martin Henriksen described it thusly: "There'll be cases where Denmark will violate the conventions. That's how it is when you ask people to walk the line."

And here I thought the constitution obligated us to adhere to international conventions and that MPs were required to pledge allegiance to said constitution when entering office, silly me. Of course, this is the same guy who publicly stated on his own website that he'd be thrilled if Muslim men were deported to torture and political persecution (his own actual words).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What's the deal with Kalla fakta these days?

I haven't watched it in like 20 years but a coworker who is super racist is getting half his right wing talking points from that show now.

Katt fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 4, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

But don't you dare call it fascism.

https://www.information.dk/indland/2019/03/martin-henriksen-flygtninge-asylansoegere-sagsoege-danske-stat

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Today is the darkest day in Danish politics since Fogh committed to Iraq.

Martin Henriksen described it thusly: "There'll be cases where Denmark will violate the conventions. That's how it is when you ask people to walk the line."

And here I thought the constitution obligated us to adhere to international conventions and that MPs were required to pledge allegiance to said constitution when entering office, silly me. Of course, this is the same guy who publicly stated on his own website that he'd be thrilled if Muslim men were deported to torture and political persecution (his own actual words).

I’m a filthy American pig who has lived in Sweden for almost three years, and one thing that consistently confuses me is what the gently caress is up Denmark’s rear end? Between the above, the NYT article about the wild rear end treatment of rape victims, and its immigrations politics and policies, what is the loving deal? Sweden has issues, all countries do, but Denmark just seems so needlessly cruel at times.

Like I thought it was some form of media bias within Sweden in how Denmark is portrayed but no, I feel like I’m missing some huger cultural thing that much like nummerlapp, I’m just not real clued into.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

teen witch posted:

I’m a filthy American pig who has lived in Sweden for almost three years, and one thing that consistently confuses me is what the gently caress is up Denmark’s rear end? Between the above, the NYT article about the wild rear end treatment of rape victims, and its immigrations politics and policies, what is the loving deal? Sweden has issues, all countries do, but Denmark just seems so needlessly cruel at times.

The cruelty is the point.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

The cruelty is the point.

Coming from the US I understand (the nation was built on it), but even with Kim Wall it seems that Denmark has this really odd edgelord streak in comparison to Sweden.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

More like spherelords.

https://www.facebook.com/24syv/videos/256880635259680/

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

That shitstain is one of few that I'd actively celebrate the death of.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

This moron is a literal pig.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Don't forget to swisha your local hamnarbetare - it's good, folks.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rutkowski posted:

That shitstain is one of few that I'd actively celebrate the death of.

What does it actually take to be disbarred here, anyway? Motherfucker passes around his little Nuremberg Laws, But For Muslims-pamphlet in public and reportedly recruits school kids, but he'll gladly waste the courts' time if anybody says the dreaded N-word. :qq:

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Retarded Goatee posted:

Don't forget to swisha your local hamnarbetare - it's good, folks.

They won! I'm so loving happy right now!!!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

THE BAR posted:

This moron is a literal pig.
Please don't insult pigs, no actual pig has ever been that awful.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Poil posted:

Please don't insult pigs, no actual pig has ever been that awful.

Sorry, you're right, no creature that delicious can ever be this awful.

It's still a striking, physical resemblance.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

teen witch posted:

Like I thought it was some form of media bias within Sweden in how Denmark is portrayed but no, I feel like I’m missing some huger cultural thing that much like nummerlapp, I’m just not real clued into.

As a Swede, Danish politics looks like a bunch of people dressed in full-on nazi uniforms, putting brown skinned immigrants in prison camps while sneering and pointing out how much more liberal and free-thinking they are than those self-censored PC Swede social democratic cucks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

zokie posted:

They won! I'm so loving happy right now!!!

Amazing how the threat of strikes can actually accomplish things.

Take notes tjänstemannfacken. :argh:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

lilljonas posted:

As a Swede, Danish politics looks like a bunch of people dressed in full-on nazi uniforms, putting brown skinned immigrants in prison camps while sneering and pointing out how much more liberal and free-thinking they are than those self-censored PC Swede social democratic cucks.

That's an oversimplification.

We're also more liberal and free-thinking than the people we put in prison camps for the crime of having brown skin and fleeing from various disasters we helped create, and we're incredibly insulted that they have the nerve to do anything but sing our praises for allowing them to live in prison camps and legally defined ghettos with a separate, harsher criminal law system.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Glass houses and all that when you consider Swedish Ice cream designs.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Enligt Arbetsdomstolen har staten inte bevisat att Maria Ågren begått brottet ”vårdslöshet med hemlig uppgift”.
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/fel-att-avskeda-maria-agren

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Katt posted:

We've learned from the masters, truly.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Enligt Arbetsdomstolen har staten inte bevisat att Maria Ågren begått brottet ”vårdslöshet med hemlig uppgift”.
https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/fel-att-avskeda-maria-agren

When no one else got any lasting consequences from that scandal, why should she?
Seems fair to me.

Katt posted:

That was probably one of the most stupid debates ever.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
When Swedes come to terms with Raggare I’ll handle the ice cream issues, tack så mycket

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

teen witch posted:

When Swedes come to terms with Raggare I’ll handle the ice cream issues, tack så mycket

English wikipedia trying to explain Raggare to an International audience is a work of art.

When it's just "Imagine the worst of the worst of rural Alabama. Now imagine people in a relatively progressive country worshipping that culture"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Katt posted:

English wikipedia trying to explain Raggare to an International audience is a work of art.

When it's just "Imagine the worst of the worst of rural Alabama. Now imagine people in a relatively progressive country worshipping that culture"

Try living it as a Nigerian American in Sweden. Love to hear “but it’s Sweden therefore totally immune to history, change or self reflection! They don’t know and thus, can’t ever learn!” when god forbid, I take offense to Swedes using the confederate flag like it has no significant history that still endlessly reverberates today.

I hesitantly love Sweden, I’m happy I’m here, but goddamn this country loves to pick and choose what they want to adopt from America without context or history.

Slutligen, Sweden is a land of contrasts.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 6, 2019

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

That's an oversimplification.

We're also more liberal and free-thinking than the people we put in a prison camp on a small offshore island currently used for animal infectious disease research.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
DF is just distraction tactics from the economical policies of the right wing, constantly talking about them is running their errands.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

How are things going with you in Denmark then?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

lilljonas posted:

As a Dane without brain damage it feels the same.

Today they managed to drive a Kurdish woman at Sjælsmark to attempt suicide when she and her family were supposed to be deported to wonderful Iran. Allegedly pepper spray was used on children. Because, you know, it's just not sufficient for refugees to be fed slop and housed next to military training grounds.

Buller posted:

DF is just distraction tactics from the economical policies of the right wing, constantly talking about them is running their errands.

I'm pretty sure most critical people left the "It's best to just ignore them"-mindset behind sometime in 2001, turns out it doesn't work and never has. They've still lost 200,000 voters since the last election, though.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Katt posted:

How are things going with you in Denmark then?

Ask me after Brexit. I frankly despise the Danish government, even if I have a friend who is a Social Democratic local politician, he hates the federal party even more than I do. But I suspect my lily-white IT nerd skin will magically be allowed to stay, as I am considered the "good" kind of foreigner. I fervently hope I never end up meeting Støjberg in person as I seriously might start screaming at her.

My mental state is linked to how often I see old friends; either I go see them (trip to Berlin last month) or they come to CPH (a friend's band played Vega this past week and we hung out).

Work just did a massive re-org and I almost got put under a VP that colleagues reported to HR last year. I went to HR and pointed this out, and I was re-reorged with alacrity.

My GF is paying for a weekend in Århus with a trip to Legoland when it gets warmer. I like Århus. More than Ørestad, lol.

I am Not Very Danish, it seems.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

teen witch posted:

Try living it as a Nigerian American in Sweden. Love to hear “but it’s Sweden therefore totally immune to history, change or self reflection! They don’t know and thus, can’t ever learn!” when god forbid, I take offense to Swedes using the confederate flag like it has no significant history that still endlessly reverberates today.

I hesitantly love Sweden, I’m happy I’m here, but goddamn this country loves to pick and choose what they want to adopt from America without context or history.

Slutligen, Sweden is a land of contrasts.

So you expect Swedes to actually care enough about US history to distinguish the flags and their meaning? That is kinda US centric of you.
Especially given that the average Swede cares little for our own history, which btw covers 5x longer than US history.

Everything Swedes know about US comes from popular history and we basically just pick those parts we like and gloss over the rest.

Katt posted:

Which basically ends up as some homegrown variant without the institutional racism of Alabama and mostly contains the music, cars and clothes.
Sweden’s involvement in the slave trade was extremely small and had virtually no effect on Sweden.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cardiac posted:

So you expect Swedes to actually care enough about US history to distinguish the flags and their meaning? That is kinda US centric of you.
Especially given that the average Swede cares little for our own history, which btw covers 5x longer than US history.
They expect people to not behave like assholes when you point out the flag is racist AF. Could you possibly be willfully misrepresenting a point to further your dumbass agenda?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

Ask me after Brexit. I frankly despise the Danish government, even if I have a friend who is a Social Democratic local politician, he hates the federal party even more than I do. But I suspect my lily-white IT nerd skin will magically be allowed to stay, as I am considered the "good" kind of foreigner. I fervently hope I never end up meeting Støjberg in person as I seriously might start screaming at her.

My mental state is linked to how often I see old friends; either I go see them (trip to Berlin last month) or they come to CPH (a friend's band played Vega this past week and we hung out).

Work just did a massive re-org and I almost got put under a VP that colleagues reported to HR last year. I went to HR and pointed this out, and I was re-reorged with alacrity.

My GF is paying for a weekend in Århus with a trip to Legoland when it gets warmer. I like Århus. More than Ørestad, lol.

I am Not Very Danish, it seems.

You are more danish than you know :q:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
To be fair who is the average Swede supposed to learn from about the racism of the confederate flag? Americans are not exactly a trustworthy source.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

They expect people to not behave like assholes when you point out the flag is racist AF. Could you possibly be willfully misrepresenting a point to further your dumbass agenda?

I don’t even expect that, I just expect a quick google search, an “Usch, fy fan” and minor sartorial reconsideration.

On the other hand, please go on svenskplaining. Hell, gör den på svenska, om du vill.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mercrom posted:

To be fair who is the average Swede supposed to learn from about the racism of the confederate flag? Americans are not exactly a trustworthy source.

Well for starters, pretty much any source that discusses the CSA will contain that flag (or one similar) and the basic reason as to the civil war, in nearly any major language. Like, first few sentences of Wikipedia in Swedish on the American civil war discusses why it happened, and putting A and B together doesn’t seem too difficult.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

teen witch posted:

On the other hand, please go on svenskplaining. Hell, gör den på svenska, om du vill.
That's my bad, I've had to speak up a bunch of times and it gets on my nerves.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
At what point does the EU push for an intervention in Denmark on humanitarian grounds?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

At no point unless they go over 3% deficit to finance the oppression, then the Germans march in again.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Boatswain posted:

At what point does the EU push for an intervention in Denmark on humanitarian grounds?

Oh, we've saved up way too many good boy points, for them to stop our little animal testing/concentration camp experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Boatswain posted:

lol you think the eu gives a poo poo about refugees that's cute