Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

skasion posted:

That mine hit in game 5 today :eyepop:

i actually winced at that :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
One-sided games today. I think the most fun was when they replayed Sunday's mine drag during the break.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yeah this was the least interesting set of games in the round of 16.

i felt bad for sacsri, he got completely crushed. i didn't figure he'd make it to the next round anyway, but i did not expect him to get steamrolled that badly.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

dang, reavers just punked on the zerg today

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Aces High posted:

dang, reavers just punked on the zerg today

Yeah, it was a good series if you love those money scarabs. :mmmhmm:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

funniest game of ro16: Group A Game 5
best game of ro16: Group C Winners

As far as Group D goes, seeing high-but-not-allin sair reaver work was pretty neat

Also I'm hyped for Sharp vs Last

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so is this the best we are going to see of Larva? or is he just showing what he needs to work on for the next tournament?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Larva has always been total dogshit in offline events, though lately he seems to be improving. A lot of it seems to just be managing the stress of being on stage playing for high stakes vs. at home memeing on a stream.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Mini needs to cut his fingernails

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mini vs Calm got a takedown, Afreeca vod here

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

man Protoss seems to just be clowning on Zerg as of late what gives?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Aces High posted:

man Protoss seems to just be clowning on Zerg as of late what gives?

Well, mini specifically is clearly way better than Calm.

Outside of that, I feel like zerg's 2 biggest advantages are in the early game, when Protoss is still setting up and they have to be afraid of hydralisks getting all up in their grill, and in the late game, when defiler adrenaling counterattacks are absolutely brutal. I think the early zealot pressure that's picked up in the last year or so is really big; it's basically impossible for them to trade poorly(unless you just die to the counterattack, like in game 1) and just as importantly, it gives Protoss a ton of scouting information. Like, look at game 2; mini's probe got denied and his response was to send two zealots into the middle of the map and then attack with them. If Calm had been going hydras, the zealots would have spotted them like half a minute before they would get to mini's base, giving him time to slam down cannons. As it happens Calm wasn't going hydras, but they still killed a few lings and messed with the mining and stuff. Reducing the danger in the early game lets the Protoss get into the midgame in a stronger position(and like, not randomly die) and the zergs haven't been able to pull off the midgame transition to 4 base hive tech and instead just kinda die.

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Effort vs Mind today had some fun games. The first game was a great start to the series, and the last game was an excellent standard/macro tvz.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

well, mind sure tried.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

About midway through game 3 I noticed that Effort was consistently 100+ APM faster than Mind and I think it really manifested itself in the late games since he could simply do more stuff

It was a good series.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Elyv posted:

About midway through game 3 I noticed that Effort was consistently 100+ APM faster than Mind and I think it really manifested itself in the late games since he could simply do more stuff

It was a good series.

effort's micro is goddamn insane and he has played ridiculously well as of late. flash nothin', i'd say effort is probably the best brood war player in the world right now

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Last vs Sharp was an amazing series, and I don't think it was just because I think TvT is the best matchup.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

That was one gruelling series.

Not much between those two and I'm glad there aren't any more TvT's... no offence Elyv. :cheeky:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Well the match tonight is PvP so we get to wash down a long, brutal, action-packed slugfest with some quickish dicerolling

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
That was my favorite series to watch so far. What a fantastic back and forth.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

oh man that game with the screwy barracks and factory placement right at the start. That was a great match

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
edit. what the gently caress, wrong thread lol, sorry.

5er fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 28, 2019

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Elyv posted:

Well the match tonight is PvP so we get to wash down a long, brutal, action-packed slugfest with some quickish dicerolling

Yeah, no surprises in that result and really goes to show that TvT is the best mirror. Hopefully we can avoid a PvP final!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fanatic posted:

Yeah, no surprises in that result and really goes to show that TvT is the best mirror. Hopefully we can avoid a PvP final!

I thought Horang2 would get a game since PvP has a strong build order RPS element but even when he won it he was outplayed in the midgame so hard it didn't matter

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Wow, Mini vs effort was a wild ride.

That shuttle snipe in game 4 was amazing.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Nostalgamus posted:

Wow, Mini vs effort was a wild ride.

That shuttle snipe in game 4 was amazing.

Yeah that was awesome moment and series. Always astounds me how well Mini plays despite looking completely tilted after he loses. Hopefully Last wins the next game so we dodge the PvP.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

hot drat that was a great series but I am going to be honest and say that I hope we don't get a PvP final, because those just don't seem to be very interesting to watch in comparison

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mini looked like an emotional wreck after game 4, i can't believe he pulled that win out.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That was a solid series, I wish we'd gotten at least one game of Hive tech though

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Aces High posted:

hot drat that was a great series but I am going to be honest and say that I hope we don't get a PvP final, because those just don't seem to be very interesting to watch in comparison

On the bright side, if we get a PvP finals, we get Effort vs Last as a 3rd place match.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

calling it now: the round of four will have been better than the finals will be, holy moly

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Wow another great series. Kudos to Last for saving us from a PvP final, but only just!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

wasn't Last in the finals last year, too? he's doing pretty well for himself

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
3rd match of Last vs Rain was so so good

Khorne
May 1, 2002
where are people watching the brood war

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Khorne posted:

where are people watching the brood war

afreecatv youtube channel(or, I suppose, their afreeca channel).

What a great series. That game 3 and game 5, holy poo poo

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
The youtube channel is best but if it's not up because of copyright infringement then http://bj.afreecatv.com/aslenglish which tends to have issues with buffering but sometimes it runs smoothly.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Man some real fuckin good brood war the last few days

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
effort vs rain game 2 hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

calling it now: the round of four will have been better than the finals will be, holy moly

nvm lmao effort is too good