Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Was there ever any update from seaside loafer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

coffeetable posted:

you got all nimby. this is how every expansion in history has gone: you get people in first, then you start building poo poo as and when those people complain
love too wait until my house gets flooded before they build new infrastructure

Necrothatcher posted:

Was there ever any update from seaside loafer?
Not heard back yet :( I hope he's just having a well deserved rest.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
how longs it take to fill a 2000-home development in a 5000-home town anyway? my instinct is it'll be ten years or more before it's done

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

:perfect:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Some good news on fracking

https://twitter.com/alextomo/status/1103274219507539969?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really do enjoy that we as a species invented an earthquake machine but the earthquakes are a side effect.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

coffeetable posted:

you got all nimby. this is how every expansion in history has gone: you get people in first, then you start building poo poo as and when those people complain

e: where'd you live exactly?

i agree. also fewer cars on the roads what with self driving cars and hyperloops and so on mean isle of dogs should absolutely be more densely populated

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.

coffeetable posted:

how longs it take to fill a 2000-home development in a 5000-home town anyway? my instinct is it'll be ten years or more before it's done

I live up north. About as specific as I wanna get.

They've built 250~ houses over the past 2 years and each has sold as it came on the market. But these were across multiple developers on smaller plots of land. Its a commuter town so it will fill easily.

I don't see why the timeline even matters, if its 10 years to build the houses, and then we have to wait until they're filling up for the services to start being built, how long then to build a primary school or 2, a high school, new roads etc? Another 10 years? And how to do handle the 10 year gap between having a town with 20k people that can't handle the 12k it's got?

Ive got no problem with extra houses, in fact I think it would be really good if they did it properly. But when it takes 30 minutes to drive a mile into or out town during rush hour, when you have more kids than school places, more patients than slots at GPs etc, more people will push it beyond breaking point.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Chubby Henparty posted:

Chiming in to say :same: great grades at the end but my transcript is overall poo poo.

In 2nd year a course ran off only one text book, and there was a major plagiarism 'scandal' as many many students failed to write an essay demonstrating understanding of that one book without rehashing it wholesale. I think they realised that was unfair, they were probably all better presented than my lovely paraphrasing.

still dont get how a levels can be blamed for someone getting bad results for two years at uni. especially when the first year pass rate is 40% and the expected standard outside oxbridge is lower than a levels

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

We need another raft of "new towns"

Cumbernauld and East Kilbride are both kinda shitholes, but Cumbernauld was impressive in what it aimed for (you can go pretty much anywhere in the town without having to wait on a light signal to stop cars) and EK has great commercial stuff, the town was just ruined by building more and more houses out and out and out, without including local shops, or even bus routes in a lot of them now.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Am I the only who's never seen any significant plagiarism at uni? And I knew a whole bunch of people on my course.

Though we did have aaa expected for admission, so I suppose it's not that representative.

I've never been one to call for fewer people going to university, but I dunno maybe the traditional university model really isn't working for some people or more needs to be done so people are prepared for it.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 6, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kecske posted:

Down where my parents live a huge development went up a year or so ago with no consideration given to developing local infrastructure. They even built on a floodplain lol.

houses are still a commodity so they'll get built regardless if the developer knows that demand exists, while roads and poo poo are the council's responsibility and they've got less than zero money to build anything with.

e:although roads won't matter once the sea level rises enough and we can commute via gondola.

Same in a small town near me here in Toryshire. Over 300 new houses built on a floodplain on the site of a former lake (after already building a new estate a mile or so away) with no new schools, clinics, roads....

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Breath Ray posted:

still dont get how a levels can be blamed for someone getting bad results for two years at uni. especially when the first year pass rate is 40% and the expected standard outside oxbridge is lower than a levels
I teach a core first year module, and the absolute state of what schools are sending us is poo poo. Students genuinely have no idea how to plan and structure an essay, they've just had it spoon fed to them all through school, meaning that we have to spend our time teaching them basic skills like "how to write" rather than, y'know, actual higher education.

I actually wrote a kind of irate response to the initial post you replied to, pointing out that we actually barely stop telling students that they need to be doing a bunch of work outside of lectures - they have a series of talks on it before teaching starts, a lot of us give them a stern talking to about it at the start of the course, we spend the entire year emphasising what's expected of them in seminars, and there's a bunch of optional courses on research, referencing &c that nobody uses, and we still get kids saying things like "I didn't know that I had to start coming to lectures again after the exams ended because nobody told me" (yes this really happened a few weeks ago) - but deleted it, because it came across a lot like a "kids these days don't know they're born, they should stand on their own two feet like we did back in my day and should also get off my lawn, I blame the parents and definitely not the society that produced them". It's a poo poo state that schools spend the entire time saying "you need to do exactly this thing at exactly this time and in exams you write these exact things down in this exact order", rather than actually teaching them how to stand on their own two feet like adult human goddamn beings.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

coffeetable posted:

Or the developers will build and sell all the new houses with the promise of the required infrastructure to come, then once they have sold the houses piss off and not bother. Then if anyone tries to force them to do it they can just shut down and reform the company, why build stuff that won't make them as much of a profit?

I know people who've bought houses in some of these new housing estates and the promised shops and services are still just promises. People are already living there but they have to drive to go and do anything. Big developers are only out to make a profit and will do anything they can to make as big a profit as they can, even if it's to the detriment of the people they are selling the houses to.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

mehall posted:

We need another raft of "new towns"

Cumbernauld and East Kilbride are both kinda shitholes, but Cumbernauld was impressive in what it aimed for (you can go pretty much anywhere in the town without having to wait on a light signal to stop cars) and EK has great commercial stuff, the town was just ruined by building more and more houses out and out and out, without including local shops, or even bus routes in a lot of them now.

I don't think you need to qualify shitholes with a 'kinda' there. A town which has this at the centre of it

The layout's which enable the free flow of traffic is part of the thing that makes them so awful as well, the days when a dual carriageway running through your town centre was seen as a desirable thing and no need for shops, people will just drive to them!

I agree we need more housing, but not new towns in the model of Cumbernauld which was a place to dump poor people. I woke up the other night thinking about this, we need councils to build housing estates of affordable housing. Not for council tenants but to sell to people living in council houses who want to buy houses and use the profits to buy back and renovate existing council houses. Right now the estates going up around Edinburgh are cheap looking houses, cheaply made except they cost 300-400K. Oh and we should compulsory purchase all these loving student accommodations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Am I the only who's never seen any significant plagiarism at uni? And I knew a whole bunch of people on my course.

Though we did have aaa expected for admission, so I suppose it's not that representative.

I've never been one to call for fewer people going to university, but I dunno maybe the traditional university model really isn't working for some people or more needs to be done so people are prepared for it.

We had very little plagiarism after first year, mainly because half the year got expelled for plagiarism in the first year.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/BBCNewsNI/status/1103278159280173056

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sounds more like Tory orthodoxy than any kind of gaffe tbh. The real surprise was when Cameron broke ranks on this in the slightest

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Picture me whistling at a level high enough for dogs, then descending sequentially to bone-shaking lowness^^^

Does anyone have another way to contact Seaside L in case they don't drop in in a few more days?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

A summary that's been relevant for a distressingly long time, and still is: compulsory education in this country consists of some 14 years of teaching kids they need to ask permission before they can so much as take a piss, then suddenly expecting them to behave like fully fledged independent adults at university.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 6, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Private Speech posted:

Yeah, the idea that everyone should go to uni and also it should cost money is some bullshit that's more about creating artificial debt and private profit.

We need to stop pretending that vocational and trade qualifications and apprenticeships are the scrub tier qualifications for people who couldn't get in to uni, and have a wide variety of life long learning routes.

And fund it with a tax on income over the median, because the chances are that anyone on over the median has benefited in their life from university, college, trade schools or apprenticeships. Or from family connections but I'm not going to cry over them getting a touch more tax.

Student loans are bad, graduate taxes are a bit better, but that's how most student loans work in practice, but the best option is one that makes everyone realize that there's an educational framework that they pay into and can benefit from.

Like Corbyn's National Education Service.

e: ^^^ gently caress yes also this

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Samovar posted:

Picture me whistling at a level high enough for dogs, then descending sequentially to bone-shaking lowness^^^

Does anyone have another way to contact Seaside L in case they don't drop in in a few more days?

Only PMs, at least on my part. He does sometimes neglect to post in the UKMT for months on end, though - he can be found more often in games (as I recall from when we were last worried about him).

I hope he's alright :smith:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Plagiarism chat:

One time having chucked in a job I hated and started temping in the works department of a branch of a national organisation, a lot of the chaps were doing day release degrees in surveying or hnc/hnd in construction-related subjects. As a £ sideline I would type their work up for them during my lunch hours or after work. Quite frequently there would be literally photocopies of pages from text books just plonked in the middle which I was supposed to just type into their work as if it was their own. I had to explain that you can't do that but they were 'why'? I said 'at least put quotation marks around it and a reference!'

Friends in the Middle East who teach English privately to adults frequently get asked to help check the English for work to be submitted not just for degrees but to (the more obscure) international journals and sometimes it's the same, either that or it's so bad you end up completely rewriting their work.
When I was there I would only work through an adult education college with classes for that reason. I did get caught out one time when someone who had a small agency asked me to do a synopsis of a bunch of Arabic philosophy (which was in bad English - she wanted me to smooth out the English - translation there is often a two stage process there with a native-speaker Arab with reasonable English doing the initial translation and then a native-speaker of English going over it again) and later I found out the person was presenting it as the literature review chapter of a thesis. I refused all work from that source after that.

I did my PhD as a semi-old. My prof said to me that I was the first student he'd had for years who knew how to do references and whose first draft (that he saw anyway!) was actually readable. But as a STEM student, I was never taught how to write essays at school and 500 words was a long essay.

I thought everything had to be your own thoughts. Submitting my first 6000 word essay (which believe me, finding 6000 words of my own thoughts on some boring topic was very tough!) at uni for a non-science course and having it thrown back in my face with a big line through all the pages with the comment "I don't want to know what you think, where are your references" was a horrible shock. To me, paraphrasing, quoting and so on had always seemed like cheating, copying. As my dear old dad used to say 'copying out of one book is plagiarism, copying out of 3 is indepth research'. How to write essays is definitely a skill that needs teaching.

Doing extra-lecture work at uni:
Back on my lawn, whatever we did in a lecture was a complete surprise to me, I never had a clue what was coming. When 20 years later I went back to do my PhD and undergrads were given a syllabus, key notes as to 'mug this up and get 40% and you'll pass" etc, the youth of today - so much spoon feeding.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 6, 2019

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Aramoro posted:

I don't think you need to qualify shitholes with a 'kinda' there. A town which has this at the centre of it

The layout's which enable the free flow of traffic is part of the thing that makes them so awful as well, the days when a dual carriageway running through your town centre was seen as a desirable thing and no need for shops, people will just drive to them!

I agree we need more housing, but not new towns in the model of Cumbernauld which was a place to dump poor people. I woke up the other night thinking about this, we need councils to build housing estates of affordable housing. Not for council tenants but to sell to people living in council houses who want to buy houses and use the profits to buy back and renovate existing council houses. Right now the estates going up around Edinburgh are cheap looking houses, cheaply made except they cost 300-400K. Oh and we should compulsory purchase all these loving student accommodations.

The shops over the dual carriageway is loving dumb, but they easily could have put a pedestrian underpass or overpass to two separate shopping centres, which is basically what hat acts as nowadays.

And whilst the average wage of the new towns is still likely well below average compared to, say, Hamilton, they largely achieved reasonable goals, and have a good mix of council and private residents, of varying means.

The design problems with Cumbernauld specifically were seen to be desirable at the time, as you said. Modern versions wouldn't repeat these mistakes.

They would likely make their own mistakes, yes, but it's better than what we're doing now, which is just building more and more houses next to existing towns, with no real thoughts as to shops, community centres, bus routes, libraries, any of that poo poo.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

Don't know about A levels, but I think in my case it was basic immaturity, and failure to be aware of / engage with useful services and what OP above said. I remember the basic essay advice about referencing and point-example-comment etc but not much about making a proper argument and a good essay until I figured it out later on.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, the idea that everyone should go to uni and also it should cost money is some bullshit that's more about creating artificial debt and private profit.

We need to stop pretending that vocational and trade qualifications and apprenticeships are the scrub tier qualifications for people who couldn't get in to uni, and have a wide variety of life long learning routes.

And fund it with a tax on income over the median, because the chances are that anyone on over the median has benefited in their life from university, college, trade schools or apprenticeships. Or from family connections but I'm not going to cry over them getting a touch more tax.

Student loans are bad, graduate taxes are a bit better, but that's how most student loans work in practice, but the best option is one that makes everyone realize that there's an educational framework that they pay into and can benefit from.

Like Corbyn's National Education Service.

e: ^^^ gently caress yes also this

who is pretending vocational etc stuff is scrub tier? theres been a lot of work recently into making apprenticeships mean something. but for now people are stubbornly continuing to apply to unis - more than ever this year in fact. which is fine by me and as you say most wont pay back their tuition. for those that do earn enough it seems right they should pay as they have benefited IMO

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

coffeetable posted:

Yeah but you also have a boner for endless expansion in what is possible the last couple of decades of stability due to global environmental collapse. Stick to counting your 'greenbacks'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Breath Ray posted:

who is pretending vocational etc stuff is scrub tier?
Universities and people that believe them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure that "stop building houses" is really the solution to house building being poo poo and commodified.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The field of house building is ripe to be automated. As is the field of living in houses.

Bunch of Boston Dynamics robots falling over boxes in a 3D printed giant Monopoly house is my utopia.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

The field of house building is ripe to be automated.

*posts Dahir Insaat video of house being assembled from drone-delivered bricks*

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Borrovan posted:

I teach a core first year module, and the absolute state of what schools are sending us is poo poo. Students genuinely have no idea how to plan and structure an essay, they've just had it spoon fed to them all through school, meaning that we have to spend our time teaching them basic skills like "how to write" rather than, y'know, actual higher education.

I actually wrote a kind of irate response to the initial post you replied to, pointing out that we actually barely stop telling students that they need to be doing a bunch of work outside of lectures - they have a series of talks on it before teaching starts, a lot of us give them a stern talking to about it at the start of the course, we spend the entire year emphasising what's expected of them in seminars, and there's a bunch of optional courses on research, referencing &c that nobody uses, and we still get kids saying things like "I didn't know that I had to start coming to lectures again after the exams ended because nobody told me" (yes this really happened a few weeks ago) - but deleted it, because it came across a lot like a "kids these days don't know they're born, they should stand on their own two feet like we did back in my day and should also get off my lawn, I blame the parents and definitely not the society that produced them". It's a poo poo state that schools spend the entire time saying "you need to do exactly this thing at exactly this time and in exams you write these exact things down in this exact order", rather than actually teaching them how to stand on their own two feet like adult human goddamn beings.

id love to read that response. surely the fact that you get a reading list at the start of term for every subject is a tip-off that you have to do work outside lectures! also, we often hear how students these days are realy committed to working as they think they are paying loads of money for it. so maybe there have always been useless people at unis.

still, in fairness teaching someone to plan and structure an essay is.......... not too hard. and arguably given the money unis are making they should be prepard to spend a bit on orientation and expectations which im sure they do do. YES it would be nice if that were done at school but the idea that because in school you have to ask permission to go to the loo (you should also do this in seminars at uni) you will be powerless to spend a bit of time in the library is a bit nuts to me.

as you say its not the school's role to make someone stand on their own two feet. that s really the parents' job i feel. can we blame society for that? course we can, after all if i were in charge you can bet society would be miles better. but id also like to see a little more personal responsibility from parents and children

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Universities and people that believe them.

ha ok. it is strange that numbers are up. i know 21yo people who opted out to do accountancy or w./e. but on the other hand uni is fun and living with your parents isnt, not always

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

The field of house building is ripe to be automated. As is the field of living in houses.

Bunch of Boston Dynamics robots falling over boxes in a 3D printed giant Monopoly house is my utopia.

thats a lovely image. i love the gifs of the darpa games or w/e that was. the robot opening the door. the robot falling out of the car. the robot climbing the stairs..really good.

and you are right: councils should be allowed to borrow to build council housing and it should all be factory built and indeed we have the factories - they just need a pipeline of orders. insurance is a big reason moderne methods of construction havent taken off here but counculs should be abke to underwrite that and put up housing quick as a flash. some day...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Breath Ray posted:

ha ok. it is strange that numbers are up. i know 21yo people who opted out to do accountancy or w./e. but on the other hand uni is fun and living with your parents isnt, not always
Sounds like more people are believing them then.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
yeah! incredible isnt it. 30k plus living expenses! but the good news is it's not stopping middle class people going to uni. would it be great if more working class people went? no imo becuase its often a complete waste of time

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Karen Bradley has to resign. loving vile thing to say.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
well, she is a west ham fan

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
has anyone here read Milkman the bookere winner? it was hard going in places but i got through it thanks to reading it on my phone. seems like northern ireland was a bloody awful place to live really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Breath Ray posted:

yeah! incredible isnt it. 30k plus living expenses! but the good news is it's not stopping middle class people going to uni. would it be great if more working class people went? no imo becuase its often a complete waste of time
So it's fine for middle class kids to do something that's often a complete waste of time, but working class kids shouldn't?

Wouldn't it be better to get more middle class kids onto vocational or trade courses and more working class kids into academia if they want, while stressing that neither is 'better'?

Otherwise you're just perpetuating exactly that non-university further ed is 'lower tier'.