Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

fyallm posted:

Really? Hummmm, i thought it had happened a couple times.. I guess it was a dumb question then... rip

not in modern us political history. the closest thing we got was ford almost getting primaried by reagan, and ford was a)not an elected president, b) not an elected vice president, and c) had a liberated wife who talked about how much she loved to gently caress, and reagan was already on his path to becoming the patron saint of the republican party

and even then the insurgent didn't come out on top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cinci zoo sniper posted:

*in berke voice* and i am the republic

kals, can you explain why there is an extensive wikipedia page dedicated to russian jokes?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

kals, can you explain why there is an extensive wikipedia page dedicated to russian jokes?

no

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Volkerball posted:

I don't think a sitting president has ever had that happen to them.

there's franklin pierce but that's well before the creation of the primary system

also a few other guys in the 19th century, before the modern primary system, but none of them had properly won a presidential election

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i thought about this the other day, glad it's still there

http://industrialpainter.com/

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
kinda sad the era of insane flash websites has passed us by... or has it???

https://babalooney.com/

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

then this page will haunt me to my grave

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

russian political jokes were a big part of the informal opposition identity, and many were forbidden

it's a fascinating genre, because it doesn't surrender the political to the humor but rather enhances it - the system being funny is exactly the problem!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

russian political jokes were a big part of the informal opposition identity, and many were forbidden

it's a fascinating genre, because it doesn't surrender the political to the humor but rather enhances it - the system being funny is exactly the problem!

Yeah, basically half of my Russian 201 class in college was learning political jokes, and some of them are pretty drat funny. (but only in Russian, of course)

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Majorian posted:

Yeah, basically half of my Russian 201 class in college was learning political jokes, and some of them are pretty drat funny. (but only in Russian, of course)

How did those jokes look like?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pravda of Moscow recently announced a travel-themed competition for its readers. The prizes were:

1st prize one week vacation in Albania.

2nd prize two weeks vacation in Albania.

3rd prize biro.

---

On an inspection tour, Nikita Hrustsev stopped next to kolkhoz peasant Ivan Ivanovitsh.

- How's it going, asked the premier jokingly.

- It's going great, answered Ivan Ivanovitsh. Jokingly.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 6, 2019

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

this is like a 2004 meme someone tried to faithfully remake with 2019 tech

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The fuckers removed an entire character from the US edition of Archer's "First among Equals" because they thought American readers simply wouldn't grasp the concept of a democratic system (I.e. having multiple parties) :eyepop:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this is like a 2004 meme someone tried to faithfully remake with 2019 tech
I can has suicide?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pangstrom posted:

I can has suicide?

yooo doood
i [am]
catgurl
although not yooo
and in principle
gently caress off

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

finally some good news. my distant cousin in america runs the "babas and borsch ukrainian culture festival"

e: i have just discovered there are multiple babas and borsch ukrainian culture festivals. i don't know which one is ours lol

avshalemon fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 6, 2019

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i also thought i'd found some terrible, terrible news, but it turns out "raper" is polish for "rapper"

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Captain Marvel is okay

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

Captain Marvel is okay

The Death of Captain Marvel was literally Gamesmaster Anthony's birthday only it was Captain Marvel's deathday.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

American "justice"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
had a federal official give me a wink wink nudge nudge about how to circumvent reporting requirements

i mean, it's nice not to waste time, but something feels a little off...

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

had a federal official give me a wink wink nudge nudge about how to circumvent reporting requirements

i mean, it's nice not to waste time, but something feels a little off...
like half my course so far has been "this is how many hours of paperwork / independent contracting this law will cost you, unless you pay precisely this much money, in which case it magically disappears"

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/WAForeskins/status/1103511805597491200

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pirate Radar posted:

Captain Marvel is okay

This is a better review than I was expecting tbh. The trailers don’t look great.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Lightning Knight posted:

This is a better review than I was expecting tbh. The trailers don’t look great.

It’s not bad, though it groans slightly under the weight of being a prequel to the other movies—there’s lots of “oh that’s why [X]” or “yeah that’s how [Y happens”

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

idgi

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Libertarians don’t want safety laws to exist and are also pedophiles

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZITP93pqtdQ

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Pirate Radar posted:

ah

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
letter box hd has to have some of the worst writing on the internet, good lord.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

So what do you call the... normal seats in a car?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jerry Cotton posted:

So what do you call the... normal seats in a car?

Oh, I totally hadn’t realized this was why it was confusing. Yeah, English is stupid.

You just call them seats. Normally this isn’t confusing because context makes it clear you mean the seat in a car.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh, I totally hadn’t realized this was why it was confusing. Yeah, English is stupid.

You just call them seats. Normally this isn’t confusing because context makes it clear you mean the seat in a car.

So the tweet was about him being annoyed by the concept of car specific seats due to government safety laws which he finds dumb? I feel like I'm lacking Americanism to get what he's annoyed about.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Goons Are Great posted:

So the tweet was about him being annoyed by the concept of car specific seats due to government safety laws which he finds dumb? I feel like I'm lacking Americanism to get what he's annoyed about.

The joke is that libertarians don’t want the government to require people to put children in special child-safety car seats (usually just called “car seats” in both US and UK English, as far as I’m aware, though I’m sure there’s some obscure regionalism from New England or somewhere in the UK that’s different) and also that they’re pedophiles and want to gently caress the children

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
jesus h christ y'all

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Pirate Radar posted:

The joke is that libertarians don’t want the government to require people to put children in special child-safety car seats (usually just called “car seats” in both US and UK English, as far as I’m aware, though I’m sure there’s some obscure regionalism from New England or somewhere in the UK that’s different) and also that they’re pedophiles and want to gently caress the children

Oh oh I see, I only know those as special children car seats, didn't know car seats is the regular term there.
In that case :lol:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I love this clip and I had forgotten about it. OWN drat TOASTER *petulant spazface*

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So today's the day I realized you can block promoted tweets and ad tweets, I thought giving Twitter money would make them make your tweet unbreakable