Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

As long as you have threat on them at least, you can just hit L1+up and down on the dpad to scroll through the threat list which is your best tool for controller tanking. The only time you have to use target forward/left/right is to pick up adds, which is definitely an acquired skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Kashuno posted:

Been a long while since I played, just getting back into it and leveling my gatherers past 50. I’m level 55 miner right now, should I be focusing on these red scrips or just leve grinding?

at 55 gatherer you should bave the ability to eke out just enough gp via gear upgrades for a 400(?) gp rotation at which point spam collectables if you feel like watching timers for a couple hours.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

i might be an idiot, can you explain this again

You aren't an idiot at all, this is kinda complicated. You can "save" and "load" what you have stored on a hotbar using macros. For example, if you switch to gladiator, fill your first hotbar up with dancing emotes, you can create a macro that will replace the contents of any hotbar you want with your dance emote bar. If you wanted to make the second hotbar on your botanist your new dancing hotbar (and you still have all the contents saved on your GLD hotbar), all you have to do is use this macro:

/hotbar copy GLD 1 BTN 2

The "/hotbar" command is what lets you use macros to change stuff related to hotbars. The "copy" subcommand tells the game that you want to copy the contents of one hotbar to another. The "GLD 1" portion specifies the contents that you want to copy to the second hotbar. In this case, the game is pulling the contents of hotbar 1 for your gladiator class. "BTN 2" designates what hotbar will receive the contents, which is the second botanist hotbar in this case.

Here's a more useful application. When a player unlocks their job and equips their jobstone, they have to remake the hotbars they were using on their base class. You can do that automatically with macros like this:

/hotbar copy gld 1 pld 1
/hotbar copy gld 2 pld 2

This will copy the first and second hotbar that you setup for gladiator and transfer the content to paladin's hotbars. Since there is never any reason to switch back to your base class, you can essentially use it as a place to store hotbars that you want to load using macros. Something that a player could do is make a stance macro that swaps the contents of a hotbar whenever they switch between their tank and DPS stances. Keep the skills you want for tanking on hotbar X on your base class and the skills you want for DPSing on hotbar Y, and switch the contents of hotbar Z on your job with a macro that copies the contents from X and Y. This is just an example of how someone could use this command. Please don't actually do this, because macros are finicky and shouldn't be used in combat like this.

An additional complication you can add to this is using "shared" hotbars. These hotbars keep the same content across all classes, and replace what you normally see for a hotbar on a class/job. This means that, if a BLM does not have sharing enabled for hotbar 10, the contents they are seeing are part of the hotbar BLM 10. If they do have sharing enabled, they will be seeing shared hotbar 10, while the game still keeps track of the contents of BLM 10 in the background, just like it does for THM 10. If you want to get really fancy with macros, you can take advantage of these hidden layers. The example I used when replying to Mittens earlier used this. If you have a blank hotbar saved as THM 10, and a hotbar full of macros for Aetherial Manipulation on BLM 10, and you enable sharing on hotbar 10 to hide the contents of both BLM 10 and THM 10, then you can use these two macros to do what Mittens wanted:

/hotbar copy THM 10 share 10
/hotbar copy BLM 10 share 10

The first macro will copy the contents of THM 10 onto shared hotbar 10, while the second will copy BLM 10 onto shared 10. Here comes the really unintuitive part. If you want to be able toggle between the contents of these two hotbars, you need to place the macro for loading a class onto the opposite classes hotbar. In other words, if you want to be able to load the contents of what you have stored on THM 10 while you are viewing the contents of BLM 10, you need to have the first macro (the one that loads THM 10) on your BLM 10 bar. Conversely, if you want to be able to load the contents of BLM 10 while looking at the contents of THM 10, you need to have the second macro on your THM bars. This means that, while you are looking at the shared hotbar, you can use the first macro to load the contents of THM 10 onto shared 10, then use the macro on it to load the contents of BLM 10 onto shared 10.

If you want to be an idiot like me, you can combine multiple macros like that to create a "scrolling" hotbar with an extendable hotbar that pops up along side it. The gif above shows what I use. The hotbar on the right cycles between three different hotbar arrangements. Those hotbars have their own macros on them that make the hotbar to the left pop up, and loads content onto it. I mostly use that to access/hide my stupid list of class change macros that change my job, my title, minion, and occasionally my HUD layout. Those class change macros also reset the hotbars to their base, condensed state.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 18, 2019

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Leraika posted:

the only thing better than that is when the healer follows behind casting regen every three steps

my favorite part of tanking is when i’m doing a pull and see a regen slapped on my rear end, i click it off, and then the healer putting it back on :mad:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kaubocks posted:

my favorite part of tanking is when i’m doing a pull and see a regen slapped on my rear end, i click it off, and then the healer putting it back on :mad:

I annoyed a healer that insisted on putting Regen on me by clicking it off.
When we weren't fighting anything. And I was at full health.

It was the 9th time before they asked me to stop clicking off and I explained why I was doing so. One of the DPS's backed me up and that healer wisened up afterwards.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Put regen on the tank and sit on the tank's butt until they can use their AoE thing, hope you're not dead by then :v:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Hey guys I need some macro help. I have this set up for when I play BLM:

currently all eight slots are there which is mostly useless but especially useless if i'm in a party or solo.

I know you can do things like /hotbar action "Skill Name" #10 #2 to replace slot 2 in hotbar 10 with Skill, but afaik that doesn't work with macros? i could be wrong about that but it wasn't working when I tried it.

I think the best way to do it is make three macros and let it cycle through all three states: solo, party, raid. If I do that and just replace or remove hotbar actions and the switching macro (the ! in the picture) i suspect it would work, but I can't seem to swap hotbar actions with macros. Any idea how to make this work?

I have my party bars as 2 4x3 bars, and have 2 buttons to show/hide part of them.

1 shows/hides the top (for 4 man content)
1 shows/hides both (for 8 man)

3 columns allows me stuff like:
Shadewalker
Smokescreen
Goad

For each party member

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Edging closer to 50. Having caved and bought Stormblood to be a lizard, I'm gonna need a full Dunban macro for Samurai.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

homeless snail posted:

As long as you have threat on them at least, you can just hit L1+up and down on the dpad to scroll through the threat list which is your best tool for controller tanking. The only time you have to use target forward/left/right is to pick up adds, which is definitely an acquired skill.

To pick up adds, press the clemency button. They'll bolt to you immediately where you can flashbang them :v:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Bishop > Hypercharge > get mad at tank for pulling mobs out of bishop > press whatever oGCDs you feel like > Spread Shot spam > Turret Overcharge
I never place Bishop until the tank has stopped moving around.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

You'd be surprised at how difficult it can be to tell if a rando tank has decided to actually stop moving and start aoeing or if they just decided to stop for 20s for no reason then continue pulling.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ibblebibble posted:

You'd be surprised at how difficult it can be to tell if a rando tank has decided to actually stop moving and start aoeing or if they just decided to stop for 20s for no reason then continue pulling.

Happened to me last night in the ultimate weapon mission/dungeon, which I had never done before. I started AEing and then the tank sprinted and used a terminal to warp away and the mobs turned around and squashed me.

As an aside, I made the mistake of joining that dungeon towards the end of the night... not realizing that there was like an hour worth of cutscenes. Holy poo poo.

Also, I got lost and had to keep watching cutscenes of my dude doing important stuff while I was still actually back near the beginning. It was basically 'oh, you were supposed to use a terminal way back there and didn't, so go back and do it while everyone else keeps going forward'. After that I took a shortcut that somehow made me go backwards until I said screw it and just stood around until it asked me if I wanted to teleport to the boss battle.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Ibblebibble posted:

Ah, the good ol' first pull of Bardam's Mettle gambit.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Happened to me last night in the ultimate weapon mission/dungeon, which I had never done before. I started AEing and then the tank sprinted and used a terminal to warp away and the mobs turned around and squashed me.

As an aside, I made the mistake of joining that dungeon towards the end of the night... not realizing that there was like an hour worth of cutscenes. Holy poo poo.

Yeah, they figured out that tons of mid instance cutscenes was a bad idea after the Praetorium and Castrum Meridianum. Which is unfortunate when you run the Praetorium or Castrum Meridianum.

Used to be that you could in fact skip the cutscenes in those, which meant I actually got kicked from Praetorium 30 minutes into the run the first time I did it because I watched them instead of helping with the bosses. Squeenix fortunately realized that was dumb, so now the cutscenes are unskippable for everyone and the two instances are locked in their own little Main Story Quest Roulette -- they used to be in the generic leveling roulette equivalent, I think -- so from here on you only get them if you really want them and know you have an hour to spare. The daily bonus XP in MSQ roulette is very good, which is why people run them, but you definitely need to have a TV show or something on while the cutscenes play.

Anyhow, there are two points in Praetorium where you're not expected to fight things and are should run ahead and take an elevator. One is at the start, one is after the first door, and you'll figure it out on any reruns. Generally one tank will suicide at the second teleport while everyone runs past, but if you stick around then chances are they'll be happy to let you take one for the team instead.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Xerophyte posted:

Yeah, they figured out that tons of mid instance cutscenes was a bad idea after the Praetorium and Castrum Meridianum. Which is unfortunate when you run the Praetorium or Castrum Meridianum.

Used to be that you could in fact skip the cutscenes in those, which meant I actually got kicked from Praetorium 30 minutes into the run the first time I did it because I watched them instead of helping with the bosses. Squeenix fortunately realized that was dumb, so now the cutscenes are unskippable for everyone and the two instances are locked in their own little Main Story Quest Roulette -- they used to be in the generic leveling roulette equivalent, I think -- so from here on you only get them if you really want them and know you have an hour to spare. The daily bonus XP in MSQ roulette is very good, which is why people run them, but you definitely need to have a TV show or something on while the cutscenes play.
:laffo:

But no, it was MSQ roulette before, it just had different rewards.

The main issue in Castrum/Praetorium was never really "people get kicked for watching cutscenes" (I have never seen this happen and I ran MSQ roulette a ton before they turned it into Netflix roulette), it was how confusing the place becomes when your group cleared half the dungeon and is past four teleport points by the time those super verbose cutscenes of people talking a lot about nothing take a break for a minute to let you do ~gameplay~.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
yeah, I'd never seen people get kicked for watching the cutscenes, the rest of the group would just shrug and blaze through the dungeon because it's super easy and who care.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
During ARR I did get screamed at by a tank for not knowing which mobs to sleep the first time I did it. I was already kinda burnt on the game at relaunch for other reasons so I just bailed on the dungeon and the game for like a year after that.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

There's mobs you sleep???

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I've seen people get kicked for watching the cutscenes, and also mentors in NN saying it was their right to kick newbies who wanted to watch the cutscenes because they were disruptive to other people's gameplay experience.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
There was a dark time in the game's youth when even less people would AoE. Tanks would single pull, mark a kill order, and have you put higher-numbered mobs to sleep in order to mitigate damage.

I haven't seen a tank mark targets since Temple of the Fist came out, thank god.

E: the last sleep user I saw was back in HW, during Fractal's heyday.

Rainuwastaken fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 6, 2019

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leraika posted:

I've seen people get kicked for watching the cutscenes, and also mentors in NN saying it was their right to kick newbies who wanted to watch the cutscenes because they were disruptive to other people's gameplay experience.

The Mentors are honestly some of the most toxic people I've encountered to date. Outside of the various goons with crowns, never talk to a mentor.

Rainuwastaken posted:

There was a dark time in the game's youth when even less people would AoE. Tanks would single pull, mark a kill order, and have you put higher-numbered mobs to sleep in order to mitigate damage.

I haven't seen a tank mark targets since Temple of the Fist came out, thank god.

Do it occasionally in Quarn for the bees.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is why I like DRK or PLD tanks when I'm DPSing. I know once the bubble or Circle of Scorn goes out, they're done running.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Rainuwastaken posted:

There was a point in time where even the leveling dungeons weren't pushovers. That point didn't last especially long, but doing Satasha near 2.0's launch when everyone's highest class was 17 and your gear was all leveling whites took more thought than it does now.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Yeah no one used AOE in 2.0 but it was also when tanks would tell you to 'slow down' because you were doing too much dps and pulling mobs. It's mostly gone away but I remember many online posts saying that it was the dps job to throttle themselves so they didn't pull aggro.

I also had at least one group give up and disband on the final boss of stone vigil because they just couldn't dodge the square AOEs.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

How soon we forget the Neverreaps of our past.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Relax Or DIE posted:

Yeah no one used AOE in 2.0 but it was also when tanks would tell you to 'slow down' because you were doing too much dps and pulling mobs. It's mostly gone away but I remember many online posts saying that it was the dps job to throttle themselves so they didn't pull aggro.

I remember when this was literally how it worked for the entirety of Vanilla WoW. Didn't matter if it was early dungeons or last raid with everyone in epics, if the DPS went too hard it could cause a wipe.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Glagha posted:

There's mobs you sleep???

I only find Sleep useful if the Tank eats poo poo and the adds decide to go ham on the rest of the party.

Of course, you'll never get commendations for that kind of save!

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Holy poo poo - I managed to block this from my memory but it’s all coming back. People had macros that would auto mark a whole group and shout instructions every single pull.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I thought they started making dungeon trash immune to sleep and other cc in the middle of ARR.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
In ARR, getting synced down meant your gear got synced down to normal quality. This led to tanks being fairly squishy, so most would do single pulls in leveling dungeons, unless they *really* trusted the healer. I still have the macro probably, that marks 1 and 2 targets in a trash pull, because doing that and having the healer have time to throw something was quicker than aoe pulling. Also many classes simply lack aoe up to level 30.

After they patched the level sync to sync your gear to HQ levels though, people got real sturdy, though. Now they just need to patch which levels classes get aoe at.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Relax Or DIE posted:

I also had at least one group give up and disband on the final boss of stone vigil because they just couldn't dodge the square AOEs.

To be fair, those square AOEs are actually a problem for color blind people. Or were at the time. Ditto for Shiva.

Pale ice on snow flooring was not great.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
The need for CC is something I struggle with honestly. I know a lot of people prefer just bulldozing and AoE'ing everything, and that can be / often is enjoyable. I think it works for story and optional dungeons, because a lot of folks just want their tomes as fast as possible.

That said, and I think some others have posited something like this in the past, I kind of wish we had (Extreme) 4 man dungeons where full pack pulling wasn't an option and where CC needed to be utilized in order to break up packs. It's slower, true, and not everyone likes that, but there was a tactical sort of thinking that went into tackling those kinds of situations in Vanilla WoW that I found kind of enjoyable. Many non-tank classes have some sort of CC (BLM, WHM, RDM, BRD, MCH, SMN), though certain classes do have rather limited (AST) or no options (SCH, most of the melee DPS).

I guess what I'm saying is some variety would be nice, rather than just murdertraining every 4 man. Also bring back dungeons that aren't just long hallways (loved BRD back in the day)(this will never happen).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
We had a guy in DGKK that could never survive titan, because he couldn't see the weight puddles. :rip:

Most new markers are a lot more contrasty.

e: CC is great, but yeah, you'd need extreme/savage dungeons for that to matter.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Marathanes posted:

Also bring back dungeons that aren't just long hallways (loved BRD back in the day)(this will never happen).

sup fellow blackrock depths-loving brokebrain

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marathanes posted:

The need for CC is something I struggle with honestly. I know a lot of people prefer just bulldozing and AoE'ing everything, and that can be / often is enjoyable. I think it works for story and optional dungeons, because a lot of folks just want their tomes as fast as possible.

That said, and I think some others have posited something like this in the past, I kind of wish we had (Extreme) 4 man dungeons where full pack pulling wasn't an option and where CC needed to be utilized in order to break up packs. It's slower, true, and not everyone likes that, but there was a tactical sort of thinking that went into tackling those kinds of situations in Vanilla WoW that I found kind of enjoyable. Many non-tank classes have some sort of CC (BLM, WHM, RDM, BRD, MCH, SMN), though certain classes do have rather limited (AST) or no options (SCH, most of the melee DPS).

I guess what I'm saying is some variety would be nice, rather than just murdertraining every 4 man. Also bring back dungeons that aren't just long hallways (loved BRD back in the day)(this will never happen).

I would 100% be on board for that.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

A lot of mobs in BA are susceptible to some form of CC, but it's mostly used to interrupt things like centaurs casting Berserk.

It's not what you're looking for since it's a 40+ person clusterfuck, but it makes me think that kind of stuff is on their mind.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Wacky Delly posted:

There was a point in time where even the leveling dungeons weren't pushovers. That point didn't last especially long, but doing Satasha near 2.0's launch when everyone's highest class was 17 and your gear was all leveling whites took more thought than it does now.

To be fair, a tank deciding to bigpull in a sub-50 dungeon can still be pretty rough considering how the item sync goes from "reasonably strict" to "unbelievably lax" the moment you get into level 50 duties. Every now and then I'll see a tank who thinks he can pull wall to wall in Brayflox or something and just kinda sigh as he immediately implodes.

I kinda wish that they'd throttle the item sync on old content a bit more, but at this point I've given up actually ever seeing Syrcus Tower mechanics again.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
OTOH, CC being relevant in 4mans would meant that all enemies must survive long enough to be dangerous, and be dangerous enough individually to warrant CC.

So, basically, eureka hp sponge chain grind, but the whm has to sleep between healing. Sounds bad to me idk

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah, extreme 4 mans wouldn't be for everyone, but I think it'd be more popular than most might think. Especially because you know they'll gate some content/reward behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 8, 2006

Speaking of difficulty, with the casual stuff taking a step up in challenge the last couple of patches I hope they keep it up for SB. I know it'll probably dip for leveling stuff but once you hit 80 I'd like it to start closer to where it is now than where the first level 70 stuff is at.

Also, how hard is it to do Susano/Lakshmi ex with randoms now? I haven't done them since SB launch and I figure I might try to pick up a dog or two before SB comes out.