Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Are they the self declared heads of government though?

no, but they should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I think I have seen these fan games encrypt their image folders. Reborn doesn't. It also didn't matter if it did, I'd get in anyway.

Ame's sprite from the old intro, which was much more like the official games, is still in the folder.

The full panorama of Apophyll behind Mt. Pyrorus is done fairly well and you barely see most of it. There's 4 versions, day/night for pre/post restoration.

There's a field unused in the single player game called Flower Garden, that starts barren but grows and blooms after certain moves. It has five stages:

It gets incredibly silly at stage 5, like, Sweet Scent will inflict -3 stages to both defenses and evasion and grass moves are tripled in power and Overgrow is always active and also tripled and Petal Dance is given another 50% boost.

That's "OHKO Celesteela with a grass move" levels of multiplier.

Lyumia
Nov 7, 2018

Glutton for Punishment

I think I have seen these fan games encrypt their image folders. Reborn doesn't. It also didn't matter if it did, I'd get in anyway.

Ame's sprite from the old intro, which was much more like the official games, is still in the folder.

The full panorama of Apophyll behind Mt. Pyrorus is done fairly well and you barely see most of it. There's 4 versions, day/night for pre/post restoration.

There's a field unused in the single player game called Flower Garden, that starts barren but grows and blooms after certain moves. It has five stages:

It gets incredibly silly at stage 5, like, Sweet Scent will inflict -3 stages to both defenses and evasion and grass moves are tripled in power and Overgrow is always active and also tripled and Petal Dance is given another 50% boost.

That's "OHKO Celesteela with a grass move" levels of multiplier.

I could be wrong, but I think that's one of the fields Ame was saying to just set on fire because of the levels of bullshit in it in a post. It was probably another grass related one I'm thinking of

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I mean, setting Flower Garden is probably worth it, but nothing uses it so it's all abstract for now.

EDIT: To give you an idea how much of a Petal Dance that is:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Venusaur Petal Dance vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ho-Oh: 477-562 (114.6 - 135%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ho-Oh is the single most resilient-to-special-grass-moves Pokemon in the game.

Not even it makes it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 3, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Flower Garden seems like something used for a Shaymin fight but there's already a field designed for those anyway
Maybe it'll be used in the e4

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

serefin99 posted:

Salt is a fairly common item used for warding off demons/evil spirits, though, so that actually makes some small amount of sense.

Well the Bakemon in question was using a giant saltshaker to season the kids so "Maybe I should cut back on the salt" was just a gag. But you aren't wrong either, in the original they beat Bakemon by literally chanting an exorcism sutra to weaken it.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

What the gently caress is a Bakemon?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

What the gently caress is a Bakemon?
One of the "failure" digimon

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

It's not that failure-based, since the pendulums don't have full on failstate mons, but you certainly don't get one by taking great care of your rookie, that's for sure.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Wasn't the flower garden field the one used in that gym battle in front of the orphans' house?

Iceblocks
Jan 5, 2013
Taco Defender

Dragonwagon posted:

Wasn't the flower garden field the one used in that gym battle in front of the orphans' house?

No, that was just normal Grassy Terrain.

masam
May 27, 2010
So I started following this waaayyyy back when OFS started the thread. When we got to the multiple instances of terrible poo poo happening, i had to take a break. I come back and marathon the now 300 page monstrosity and see the highs and lows of musicals and art. This has been one hell of a ride.

masam fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 4, 2019

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Every ticket out of this hellhole is sold out, and will be for an indeterminite amount of time. We only get to go to the desert.

Still, for how the game started, it's beautiful to see Raven boarding a train that's leaving Grandview Station.

The name, music, and sandstorm load. The screen is black because the map hasn't loaded.

This is because it is incomprehensibly gigantic.

The white dot in that gray spot in the middle is the highlighted tile that Raven starts on.

Welcome to Tourmaline Desert, the main setpiece of Episode 17: Rust Thicker Than Water.

OST: Atmosphere- Tourmaline

Taka is hidden behind a tree.

"I-- have to stop you here. If I don't... They're gonna say something like, there's no reason for me to stay, right? They're probably already-- Or she's probably lready... ...watching us from somewhere. I don't-- have a choice anymore. As if I ever did."

His aloofness has turned into full on hesitation.

We didn't get to prevent a full battle with Taka, only postpone it.

This Klefki is one of three big reasons I took this path. It has Foul Play/Thunder Wave/Swagger/Substitute @Leftovers. It's a Swagplay Klefki. This messed up set that reduces Pokemon to pure random chance, do you hit yourself from Swagger... or not? Smogon banned the move Swagger in singles, not only because this Klefki is a menace, it was a completely random menace that could just fall flat on its own stupid face and just empower a sweep for you and neither player had much of a say in how it went down.

Amethyst saw this and thought this coin flip simulator was a good thing to put in her fan game.

The AI can't really handle swagplay strategies. They're pretty involved.

Of course his Minior is the same whether it's here or at the Water Treatment Center. It Shell Smashes.

Metazord has an Air Balloon so it's forced to use Acrobatics which even at +2 is not downing a loving Metagross.

Teehee, the shiny just gives Komala an actual pillow.

He also has an Exeggutor-A and a Gliscor but anyway.

His Chatot has a Normalium-Z so it goes beyond Boomburst into a 200-power Breakneck Blitz.

The use of a Z-move implies Taka is doing the poses while he's on the verge of tears.

"So I guess that's it. This'll probably be the last time you have to deal with me."

Taka begins to leave.

"You've always been standing up to us. And you've always been winning."

It's the one thing I can do, win Pokemon battles.

"Yeah. You always do, huh. Did you ever even think to do anything else? Cuz I don't think I have. I never thought anything could change, but here you are. You rocked the boat and I've fallen right out of it. Splash. But where does that leave me? When I go back a failure again, I won't get another chance. And you... ...will keep fighting."

Yeah sure why the hell not.

"Really?"

"So I'm just gonna follow you for now, okay? I'll try not to get in your way. If I can find somewhere safe to hide, I think I'll lay low there for a while. Maybe long enough that I'll get off of that woman's radar. After that... let's beat Team Meteor together. I'll follow your lead, Raven."

Reason two of three for going Reshiram path: Taka is our partner for the Tourmaline Desert, which means not only free healing after every battle, but more text to transcribe!

"Meteor's drama, that's for sure. Most of the people around there are the opposite of fun. Well, I guess Blake was pretty funny. He's been with us a while, and used to look after me when I was younger sometimes. He'd die before he'd admit it but I think he actually likes kids."

The dunes look pretty nice in that big shot of the map but they're flat and the best Amethyst can do to convey trekking up and down them is to... slow down movement.

Tourmaline Desert is a nightmare.

There are a lot of palm trees. Some are darker.

The darker ones don't like being disturbed.

"red-haired menace back at the Water Treatment Center. Thanks for dealing with me all this time."

Taka has a lot of things to say.

Every step on the sands has a small chance to trigger an encounter. Thankfully we aren't dealing with the menacing beasts of the desert alone.

Taka leads with his Chatot which just flings Heat Wave and Hyper Voice constantly. On the rare occasion something survives the opening salvo and KOs it, he still has the entire rest of his team.

Amethyst, you're making your own Pokemon game, do you have to saddle me with Wind Charge.

"And more importantly, can I do the same? Uh, not this move though. Too much energy."

The array of high-level evolved Pokemon makes the desert pretty good for EXP, especially since we have a partner making every battle have two opponents and free heals after every one.

To give you scale, Fly-Gon Jinn only needs 1,059,862 EXP to hit level 100 and become a jedi master.

There's... a regular Pokeball.

Six of them in total.

Do you remember?

These are Corey's.

"I guess that's why I'm here too, haha."

His self-depreciation streak gets a little annoying, but since it's a reborn character admitting they're awful I can live with it.

Cave.

"I'm not sure how this place doesn't just cave in on itself, but I could say the same about myself. Seems good. I guess we'll be less likely to be found in here."

"Originally we just looked after the Citadel. My dad said that his parents were more like shrinekeepers than anything."

Sugiline Cave is explored by falling in pits. I don't wanna just yet. Tourmaline Desert has 3 optional dungeons and I don't want to just run into them.

There are two trainers in the desert. They don't matter.

(The skulls)

"I guess the sands will give them a proper burial in time. That's probably all I can ask for too."

"But they're still the only family I've ever had."

He's trying really hard to humanize the antagonists.

A slab. Mysterious!

"The champion of the Reborn, who created the league and advertised it across the world like some kind of fairground. She closed up the old city's wounds, hiding the Citadel again.Regardless of anyone's ideals, why bother just building over a ruin instead of preserving it? That sounds like something I'd pull."

Ah, finally, I can use physical normal Pokemon again.

Did you really need to make this so late? Joe BIdoon's been benched for ages thanks to you putting this here!

"This water probably isnt even drinkable... I guess I'd try in a pinch though."

"Lin's been moving everything into Labradorra. Before that we mostly stuck around the Devon Building, the Subterrane, and the Sanctum. Most of my childhood memories are around those places."

I think he means the subway tunnels but I want to believe he means the Luanr Subterrane, the final dungeon of Final Fantasy 4.

Based Sturdy.

Yeah. I hate her.

"She was one of my only friends growing up. Then she ran away... Just like me now, I guess. I think about her a lot."

If you needed proof after all this time she actually is Elias's daughter.

"You've seen how my father is. And my mother-- was just that. She was hired to have me, and then she went on her way. But that's not normal... right?"

haha holy poo poo his mother was literally disposable.

The 1R253 Scrapyard is a near incomprehensible train graveyard.

We can even ride in a few to move them around. This gif is a piece of poo poo because of the sandstorm.

The random encounters are oddly intense. Hey, wild Probopass.

The rock smash rock is in the way. We can't actually round that corner, and getting to the other side of the train is incredibly complex and difficult.

Amethyst starts with the most complex execution of the idea, you see.

Journeying through the Scrapyard is the mandatory path so I leave it for last.

"That woman is chaos inside and out. Did you know she's narcoleptic? I can't tell you how many times we've found her collapsed in some random place. And no matter what we do, she won't wake up except on her own."

Too late to humanize the main antagonist, she's too edgy for that.

These are the tracks the current train uses. They go out. Out of Reborn city, to somewhere unknown.

The edginess chases us runaways, trying to drag us back.

"That sandstorm out there looks like a bad time waiting to happen, and I don't think it's gonna blow over soon. Let's go back for now."

But we can't leave. We can't leave. We're here. Here. Reborn. Stuck.

We were always stuck. They fixed the trains, they let us out, but from one cage to another. The trains are running but the trainwreck is endless.

We're stuck in the trainwreck.

If we fought Taka at the WTC, he'd not show up here at all. No boss fight, no partner. We'd be forced to trek the desert sands alone. We'd still be stuck.

TODAY'S RANDOM SHINY:

I feel like, back in update 3, when I said there were an oddly large number of blue shinies, I should've demonstrated it. So, for E17 I am going to post only the blue shinies.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
God the desert sucks so much. OFS showed that massive map, but it feels so much worse to actually try to figure out where the hell you're supposed to go, Taka or no Taka. The only "good" thing I have to say about it are the random encounters, since they're pretty good grinding and a few of the things are quite nice to have. Though even those can be cave level obnoxious if you dont have a mass of Repels. Well, those and the Exeggutors actually being trees, Reborn did that right.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Big, featureless maps are bad and that desert absolutely looks like that. Taka's text could be good in a game that made you care about its cast but this is not it, so I couldn't care less, and plus I'm guessing that it's constantly stopping you since Pokemon uses textboxes that stop gameplay, so this isn't even the right game style to do this in. Something you'd think someone that hates said style would understand, but nope.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

"The champion of the Reborn, who created the league and advertised it across the world like some kind of fairground. She closed up the old city's wounds, hiding the Citadel again.Regardless of anyone's ideals, why bother just building over a ruin instead of preserving it? That sounds like something I'd pull."

Wait so,

Does this mean all of this is Ame's fault both in-universe and in real life?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Blaze Dragon posted:

Big, featureless maps are bad and that desert absolutely looks like that. Taka's text could be good in a game that made you care about its cast but this is not it, so I couldn't care less, and plus I'm guessing that it's constantly stopping you since Pokemon uses textboxes that stop gameplay, so this isn't even the right game style to do this in. Something you'd think someone that hates said style would understand, but nope.

He speaks up after doing something like finding an item or entering a place or if we manually turn around and talk to him.

I'm doing a lot of both, doing things and talking to him.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm not surprised the train tickets are sold out, I'm just surprised there wasn't a dogpile at the station of NPCs clawing at each other to be the first to leave. I know the city's mostly been rebuilt but there's still no employment or anything sustainable and it's still full of lovely people.

As for Taka, I have no idea why he's suddenly super important or why that's only true in this branch of the story. I don't know why there needs to be a branching story anyway but if it's to encourage replayability you don't want to make one path a lot worse than the other one, and an endless, ridiculously huge sandstorm-desert dungeon with no healing is so much worse than Mr Bland's generic boring angst.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

"That woman is chaos inside and out. Did you know she's narcoleptic? I can't tell you how many times we've found her collapsed in some random place. And no matter what we do, she won't wake up except on her own."

Too late to humanize the main antagonist, she's too edgy for that.

Calling it now: You'll never be able to "legitimately" stop Lin, and will have to resort to either murdering her in her sleep or getting a Darkrai to do it for you.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

KataraniSword posted:

Calling it now: You'll never be able to "legitimately" stop Lin, and will have to resort to either murdering her in her sleep or getting a Darkrai to do it for you.

We could just borrow that Komala's pillow.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

KataraniSword posted:

No, because that would be slightly interesting and possibly even vaguely funny. Instead I'm guessing her narcolepsy will never be mentioned or relevant to anything again. I bet you never find out about it on the other path.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If they had another engine available why the heck are they scheduling trains to a useless desert and not running another reborn exodus service?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The fact that people are trapped in Reborn City despite having Pokemon just goes to show that only the OCs actually get to use them to actually do anything. You could probably take a train of people out of her with two Machokes carrying train cars if it was as dire as the intro wanted us to believe.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

I saw this image and for the 3 seconds it took to completely register what I was looking at I was worried you somehow encountered that backhoe pokemon from Uranium.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I saw this image and for the 3 seconds it took to completely register what I was looking at I was worried you somehow encountered that backhoe pokemon from Uranium.

This game doesn't deserve MEGAWEAPON. :colbert:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

KataraniSword posted:

Not eating her dreams?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m betting that we’re supposed to be “””glad””” we didn’t get the chance to take the first train we could get out of the region, because it turns out Meteor is bombing all of them as soon as they’re far enough away from the city.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

Regalingualius posted:

I’m betting that we’re supposed to be “””glad””” we didn’t get the chance to take the first train we could get out of the region, because it turns out Meteor is bombing all of them as soon as they’re far enough away from the city.

Wouldn't that be completely against Team Meteor's goals since they want everyone to leave, not to frighten them into staying in the city?

...Ah, right, Reborn. That's definitely happening.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Can’t bring anyone else into the region if there’s no trains coming back.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

This is because it is incomprehensibly gigantic.

The white dot in that gray spot in the middle is the highlighted tile that Raven starts on.

Welcome to Tourmaline Desert, the main setpiece of Episode 17: Rust Thicker Than Water.
why?!

quote:

Sugiline Cave is explored by falling in pits. I don't wanna just yet. Tourmaline Desert has 3 optional dungeons and I don't want to just run into them.

WHY :psypop:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
please tell me Taka at one point just says "I hate sand"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Doobeedoo posted:

Wouldn't that be completely against Team Meteor's goals since they want everyone to leave, not to frighten them into staying in the city?

That's what Solaris wants, and unfortunately for him we've defeated his plans too many times and now Team Meteor leans towards Sirius and Lin. Hence why Team Meteor has holed up in Labradorra, all the effort to destroy the city has been not only halted, but actively undone, but there's still God.

This is an ideological split in Team Meteor, between the original mission of protecting the holy land and a new mission of using its power to control the world. It's been a thing as far back as episode 8, when PULSE Abra, a project to bypass the seal via teleportation, was active, but no one's expressed it clearly because Amethyst is a bad writer who stuffed the person about to explain it, Eclipse, in a fridge before she could.

And it still won't be because the people who champion the new idea, Sirius and Lin, cannot loving talk like normal people for being too edgy.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How can you people follow what's happening?

Who the gently caress is Sirius?

I barely know who Lin is!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...Yeah, I completely missed all of that. Attempting to hide the plot of a game from the person playing it can be done but it's rarely a good idea and in this case I don't even know what it is.

edit: Sirius is the Meteor dude everyone keeps getting mixed up with Solaris. I... think he's the one who's so scared of Lin that he told us to pretend to be a Meteor grunt the one time we saw her so she wouldn't kill them all? Maybe?

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Waffleman_ posted:

He's the edgy Meteor guy with an eyepatch and a Chandelure that 1. burned down Charlotte, Laura, and Saphira's childhood house, killing their parents 2. soul murdered Eclipse(the grunt with a male partner that isn't dripping with incest) 3. tried to burn down the suicide lesbian house.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Waffleman_ posted:

Sirius is edgy techno-eyepatch Meteor admin who was overly concerned with orphans.

Lin is the true leader of team meteor who killed Ame.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.

The Reborn? I hope this refers to a 'let's make the region suck slightly less' movement. Otherwise we're discovering new ~Proper Nouns~ 200 hours in like it's Xenogears.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Mordecai posted:

The Reborn? I hope this refers to a 'let's make the region suck slightly less' movement. Otherwise we're discovering new ~Proper Nouns~ 200 hours in like it's Xenogears.

Probably just a typoe and it was meant to be "the Reborn region"

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Maybe meteor freaks consider reborn to be just a province of their wider territory, dubbing it "the reborn".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mordecai posted:

It's a typo. It's not in E18.

Waffleman_ posted:

In all sincerity 90% of the stuff about the story are only things I've figured out from having to present this game, reconstructing the clues from hindsight and just simply knowing what the gently caress they're talking about because I've seen what the gently caress they're talking about.