Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

This guy legit believes that a restaurant having a couple of vegetarian options is part of some subversive liberal agenda

When your primary drink of choice is wood varnish, everything looks like a conspiracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why is this specific case AOC's specific responsibility? Why this specifically and why her specifically? Demanding her fix this is totally unreasonable. It's obvious no matter what she does or said there will just be a next bigger demand on what she has to do.

Solidarity is the idea that defending each other is everyone's responsibility. You're basically asking "why should our elected officials show solidarity with anyone, can't someone else do it"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

catspleen posted:

Yeah taking the pic was the absolute most I would have been interested in b/c work trip.

When I go on work trips I usually don't spend the time taking creepshots for a deadgay cat forum, that's time could be spent expensing drinks on the company card

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Slowpoke! posted:

This guy legit believes that a restaurant having a couple of vegetarian options is part of some subversive liberal agenda

Does he? Or is he like every other huckster and grifter conservative social media bunghole who ran out of things to talk about long ago and makes poo poo up to be offended about for likes?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

catspleen posted:

::Removed sorry i dumb::

That’s not him is it?

Delete it off imgur too.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Failed Imagineer posted:

When I go on work trips I usually don't spend the time taking creepshots for a deadgay cat forum, that's time could be spent expensing drinks on the company card

I'm now thinking about what I'd do if Wohl were actually in my vicinity. I think I wouldn't be able to resist serving him with a sworn affidavit.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If I were dying I’d pretend to be a CHUD and try to get a phone call with Trump so I could then personally call him a piss baby fuckboy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

AOC has repeatedly said she's heard from progressive jews in her community that are critical of Israel that were still offended by Omar's comments. She can't just go on twitter and tell those constituents they're wrong to be offended.

She can in fact call out people who are lying for lying. She may not want to because they might attack her just like they did last year when she said the most mildest criticism of Israel ever, but it is in fact physically possible for her to do it.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Failed Imagineer posted:

4.5 hour layover and I already bought a cherry coke (which is the strongest I can expense before 5pm), the mind wanders ok, but I shouldn’t have done it. upwards of 8 people saw the creeper post and for that I am sorry.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

VitalSigns posted:

She can in fact call out people who are lying for lying. She may not want to because they might attack her just like they did last year when she said the most mildest criticism of Israel ever, but it is in fact physically possible for her to do it.

She won't because she wants to be re elected. Welcome to politics.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If I were dying I’d pretend to be a CHUD and try to get a phone call with Trump so I could then personally call him a piss baby fuckboy.

"M...Mr. President...before I die...I just...want to ask...one question..."

"Go ahead, sir, anything."

"DO YOU LIKE HOWARD STERN'S BUTTCHEESE?!"

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Why is this specific case AOC's specific responsibility? Why this specifically and why her specifically? Demanding her fix this is totally unreasonable. It's obvious no matter what she does or said there will just be a next bigger demand on what she has to do.

People basically are pinning all of their hopes and dreams on AOC because she's vocal, she's loud, and she represents everything that people have wanted from a party of old Dinosaurs who call horrible human beings "decent folk" and continue to attempt to sponge up liberal votes by going "well, we aren't the GOP!" There's gonna be close eyes on everything she does as a result, justified or not.

That said, I think immediate solidarity would have been great in this case, but this is pretty much a no-win situation for someone who has to balance all of these hopes and dreams of being the ideal new age democrat whilst also juggling the realities of the current political climate, and under that context I think her answer was about as fine as you're going to get.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Shammypants posted:

Does he? Or is he like every other huckster and grifter conservative social media bunghole who ran out of things to talk about long ago and makes poo poo up to be offended about for likes?

Yeah that should be an ironic “legit” because at 1M followers, he probably is playing up a persona to appeal to chuds.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Lemming posted:

There's nothing wrong with people pointing out what's wrong with her response and how she could be better

Acting like she's poo poo like every other politician is stupid insane garbage, which of course plenty of people are doing as well

The problem is twofold. I think she's legitimately trying to do the right thing, it's just that the system as it is and the country as it is makes doing the 100% right thing politically impossible. On one hand you have a political climate in Congress that makes steadfastly opposing Israel's policies specifically and by name radioactive, as the leadership is still controlled by neolib dinosaurs who know their bread has always been buttered with AIPAC's help and have fully caved to the right wing messaging on Israel. On the other hand you have constituents who either by intent or not, bad faith or good, have also swallowed the "poo poo talk Israel means you poo poo talk all Jews everywhere" line and are indeed expressing this to her. It doesn't invalidate that they feel this way, it's just that they feel this way because that's always been the storyline presented through mainstream media and culture, and it belies how we've now had 10 years of Bibi being the Trump of Israel and killing kids playing soccer and etc, a fact younger, progressive AOC fans recognize and now are dragging her for. They're ignoring the facts, quite simply, either intentionally or not, but there it is. Honestly it's an untenable political situation until more of the old neolibs pushing the old, flawed and inaccurate party line on Israel die or retire and more of an accounting is done of Israel's actions as a nation and Likud's actions as a political force.

EDIT

nyttyn posted:

That said, I think immediate solidarity would have been great in this case, but this is pretty much a no-win situation for someone who has to balance all of these hopes and dreams of being the ideal new age democrat whilst also juggling the realities of the current political climate, and under that context I think her answer was about as fine as you're going to get.

And of course while I'm dicking around, this poster said it better. And shorter. This.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

theblackw0lf posted:

AOC has repeatedly said she's heard from progressive jews in her community that are critical of Israel that were still offended by Omar's comments. She can't just go on twitter and tell those constituents they're wrong to be offended.
I would guess that progressive-but-Orthodox Jews are overrepresented in her constituency. Those are probably the ones most likely to have that take, yeah.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

Typos on twitter dot com: serious career-ending blunder.

Still not a typo but if you say it 65 more times it might become true. Also no one called it a career-ending blunder.

VitalSigns posted:

Out of curiosity, which minority groups are allowed to claim offense and which are to be called liars?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Well of course. It's a political calculation with pros and cons, and one of the cons is getting dragged by people who care more about human rights than about the career prospects of a specific politician.

Every political act has a cost, it's weird that there's so much complaining about the cost being incurred by a politician making a deliberate decision to sacrifice principle for electability.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Still not a typo but if you say it 65 more times it might become true. Also no one called it a career-ending blunder.

Shut. The gently caress. Up. About this. One day of this poo poo was enough. Good God.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

Are you saying she should accuse those people of lying about being offended? Why are you, or is she, more aware of whether or not somebody else is offended than the person in question? Questioning why the people might be offended and trying to get them to understand why they don't have any real reason to be offended, and they're jumping to conclusions it making assumptions that are invalid that lead to then being offended, but saying "your lying you aren't really offended" accomplishes nothing.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VH4Ever posted:

Shut. The gently caress. Up. About this. One day of this poo poo was enough. Good God.

Why. Don't. You. Type. Like. A. loving. Moron. At. The. Guy. Continuing. This?

Just ignore me, all you do is whine about posts. Jesus gently caress

pseudanonymous posted:

Jews, Muslims. hth

This poster gets it

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Out of curiosity, which minority groups are allowed to claim offense and which are to be called liars?

Jews, Muslims. hth

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

He's just never been to an adult restaurant before. It's nearly cute. He doesn't understand what courses are. I bet he was blown away that his plate had a garnish on it and that he had more than one fork too.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I think it was a nice thing for trump to reach out to a dying man.

Wait until next month when he sends his estate the bill.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

WoodrowSkillson posted:

There are a lot of jewish folks in her district but from what I can gather American jews are basically with Omar on this one. If anything she is risking re-election by being wishy washy on it.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

InsertPotPun posted:

I think it was a nice thing for trump to reach out to a dying man.

Wait until next month when he sends his estate the bill.

You joke but if I'm his family I'm girding up for just this! I wouldn't be surprised.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

holy poo poo dude does she split her rent-free vacations between your head and Ben Shapiro's. You've been mad about a typo for 24 hours

Anyone who defends war crimes and crimes against humanity by likening any criticism of those things to bigotry are to be called liars, regardless of what minority group they are.

Simple exercise: switch out the ethnic group. Pretend someone criticized politicians taking money from Saudi-aligned PACs or criticized US military aid to Saudi Arabia's genocidal Yemen campaign, and ask yourself whether someone claiming to be "offended" that these things were even questioned is acting in good faith.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

theblackw0lf posted:

As she said, and I agree "It’s not my position to tell people how to feel, or that their hurt is invalid."

I know people just want her to go on twitter and point out that Omar is being misunderstood, but that could be seen as invalidating and challenging the hurt expressed by her constituents.

However, she's criticized the resolution, pointed out the hypocrisy of Omar being held to a standard that other members aren't., and has said that Omar is listening to the concerns of others and is learning.

Howard Schultz was genuinely hurt that people are talking poo poo about billionaires. You can't stop addressing systemic issues like billionaires ruining this country or Israel being an apartheid state just because it hurts some people's feelings.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Are you saying she should accuse those people of lying about being offended? Why are you, or is she, more aware of whether or not somebody else is offended than the person in question? Questioning why the people might be offended and trying to get them to understand why they don't have any real reason to be offended, and they're jumping to conclusions it making assumptions that are invalid that lead to then being offended, but saying "your lying you aren't really offended" accomplishes nothing.

Is she actually doing the bolded, because it seems like the thing I bolded is itself being portrayed as "accusing people of lying about being offended" or "deeming their offense invalid".

If you can show me her actually doing that awesome I'll feel better.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

Solidarity is the idea that defending each other is everyone's responsibility. You're basically asking "why should our elected officials show solidarity with anyone, can't someone else do it"

Till what? When do you get satisfied she did enough? Why does she have assurance that when you jump through her hoop you are going to say "good job" and not just tell her the next hoop you have for her?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

The Sean posted:

[url]https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1103115557086396416[/url

What a loving idiot. This food sounds great. On top of being an rear end in a top hat, gently caress him for making fun of the bourbon glazed cauliflower. It's almost my lunch break and I'd kill for that right now.

Also lol @ "I ordered the “king candy bar” to troll them"

Ordering and paying for food to own the libs.

I was sleeping on this at first but wait a second, THIS to him is "Austin food?" He actually thinks this, by all accounts pretty new place in a super touristy area is "the place Austinite hipsters go to eat?" There's a bbq joint like 15 minutes away from there I could take him where you'll be so full of the most delicious brisket you've ever eaten, you'll have meat sweats before you finish your portion of food. What a loving tool. This has as much to do with "Austin people food" as a loving Chipotle has to do with "real" San Diego Mexican food.

EDIT

Jesus THIS place is two blocks away: https://ironworksbbq.com/menu/

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 6, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

holy poo poo dude does she split her rent-free vacations between your head and Ben Shapiro's. You've been mad about a typo for 24 hours

I let her stay for free in my head because she rules actually. But you win, you accused me of being MAD! On the INTERNET!

quote:

Anyone who defends war crimes and crimes against humanity by likening any criticism of those things to bigotry are to be called liars, regardless of what minority group they are.

Simple exercise: switch out the ethnic group. Pretend someone criticized politicians taking money from Saudi-aligned PACs or criticized US military aid to Saudi Arabia's genocidal Yemen campaign, and ask yourself whether someone claiming to be "offended" that these things were even questioned is acting in good faith.

Is it a stereotype that Saudis control the banks

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Magic BeansRockefeller posted:

Howard Schultz was genuinely hurt that people are talking poo poo about billionaires. You can't stop addressing systemic issues like billionaires ruining this country or Israel being an apartheid state just because it hurts some people's feelings.

the idea of a politics with enemies, whose pain is not to be avoided, is just totally loving anathema to some people

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

I just felt a disturbance in the force, like the sound of millions of Republicans crying out at a black man kneeling for the anthem.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

You can if you want to get reelected. AOC does not represent you unless you live in her district. At the end of the day, she could give a poo poo about you. Same goes for the rest of them.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VitalSigns posted:

can either of you two just like stop and move on to something else like the hearing or the weird spew of poo poo that came out last night or anything outside of this real dumb slap fight

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Till what? When do you get satisfied she did enough? Why does she have assurance that when you jump through her hoop you are going to say "good job" and not just tell her the next hoop you have for her?

Wow it's almost like social and economic justice is a long arduous struggle of slow centuries-long progress interspersed with halts and backlash and setbacks, and there is always more to do until the systems of oppression are completely dismantled

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/RepKatieHill/status/1103365808271622145

This also happened today, which is cool and good.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Reminder of the ~1300 or so most polluted places in the US, 900 are current or former military installations.

heck they're looking at the air force base near me as another site since there's cancer clusters on the housing there

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Edit: dropping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

Reminder of the ~1300 or so most polluted places in the US, 900 are current or former military installations.

heck they're looking at the air force base near me as another site since there's cancer clusters on the housing there

Yep. The El Toro military base in California is a ghost town because of the sheer amount of pollution.

El Toro was the base destroyed in Independence Day btw