Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I sometimes build my own pedals, ensuring that someone terrible has suffered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: double

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wark Say posted:

Wait, Mike Fuller is a psycho?

Basically, if you email Fulltone support a simple question about your OCD or whatever he will personally respond back from his personal email account making fun of you.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/horrible-customer-service-from-fulltone.2016485/

Pretty typical exchange with Mike Fuller. It's really funny/sad he just eyeballs the support inbox all day and makes fun of people who just want to use his expensive doohickeys.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

He's a psychopath for being a turd and belittling his customers?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Color me disappointed, then. I mean, I'm still going to keep my two OCD's. It's just that, when the time comes that I cannot repair them or something, I'm just going to drop some cash for a 2nd EHX Glove.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Someone being rude and providing poor customer service is a plenty good reason to choose not to do business with them, but if that's all it is I don't think it's bad enough that you need to feel ethically conflicted about giving them your money. I'm sure we've all encountered some variation of the "soup nazi" or "Dr. House" archetype, where someone is known to be a jerk but they provide a quality product/service so people choose to put up with it.

All that said, I don't know why you wouldn't just buy used anyway.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Yeah “insufficiently supplicative businessman whose behavior hurts only himself” is a far cry from “soft on racism” or “enthusiastic about antigay church” in my book. A lot of these guys started their own companies specifically so that they “don’t have to take no poo poo from no boss” so you’re gonna run into a lot of that type of attitude once you get away from the Boss/Fender level of distribution.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

gently caress Your Website posted:

Yeah “insufficiently supplicative businessman whose behavior hurts only himself”

Weird flex to be reductive but ok. Seems a little psychotic to sit on your company’s support inbox and wait for people to demean all day everyday when you run a very successful shop like he does.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thermos H Christ posted:

Someone being rude and providing poor customer service is a plenty good reason to choose not to do business with them, but if that's all it is I don't think it's bad enough that you need to feel ethically conflicted about giving them your money. I'm sure we've all encountered some variation of the "soup nazi" or "Dr. House" archetype, where someone is known to be a jerk but they provide a quality product/service so people choose to put up with it.

All that said, I don't know why you wouldn't just buy used anyway.

gently caress Your Website posted:

Yeah “insufficiently supplicative businessman whose behavior hurts only himself” is a far cry from “soft on racism” or “enthusiastic about antigay church” in my book. A lot of these guys started their own companies specifically so that they “don’t have to take no poo poo from no boss” so you’re gonna run into a lot of that type of attitude once you get away from the Boss/Fender level of distribution.
Oh, for sure, you both have a point. And I've met plenty of assholes while buying music equipment. Again, that's not so much the issue.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Seems a little psychotic to sit on your company’s support inbox and wait for people to demean all day everyday when you run a very successful shop like he does.
It's this. That's loving weird. Just let one of the shop guys handle it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hell I sent a nice message to Keeley about my compressor when I bought it and got a reply but I figured that was just a shop employee who reads those and replies

I'd be really weirded out in fact if it was actual Robert Keeley

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

From what I understand Robert does read those. And he is the kindest dude you’ll ever meet. They bend over backwards to make customers happy.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Malaria posted:

Just buy used pedals. It's cheaper, and you can buy lovely people's products without directly supporting them
The stupidest music poo poo is getting convinced to buy a gold-plated Ibanez TS808 over a Joyo or EHX clone because of ~PEDALBOARD AESTHETICS~ :shepspends: also you can totally hear the tone-plating

Shugojin posted:

I'd be really weirded out in fact if it was actual Robert Keeley
IDK I sent a tech support question to Diezel and got a response from Peter Diezel. A lot of the "boutique" people probably benefit from customers feeling like there's some sort of personal connection there. I want to say I had a forum question from Bareknuckle once upon a time and the response from like fuckin Nolly or some poo poo.

Death Panel Czar fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 6, 2019

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Wark Say posted:

It's this. That's loving weird. Just let one of the shop guys handle it.
I agree it’s dumb and weird and a poor use of time for sure, it’s just not enough of a reason for me not to buy something from the company. The issues surrounding Wampler and JHS are, in my case.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yeah I called Fractal Audio once because of an Axe-Fx II setup issue and Cliff Chase, the head dude who founded the company, answered the phone and walked me through a customer support issue. I asked him why he was answering customer support calls and he said "everybody else is out to lunch at the moment" lol.

Small guitar companies tend to actually be a bit smaller than you might think.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Death Panel Czar posted:

The stupidest music poo poo is getting convinced to buy a gold-plated Ibanez TS808 over a Joyo or EHX clone because of ~PEDALBOARD AESTHETICS~ :shepspends: also you can totally hear the tone-plating

IDK I sent a tech support question to Diezel and got a response from Peter Diezel. A lot of the "boutique" people probably benefit from customers feeling like there's some sort of personal connection there. I want to say I had a forum question from Bareknuckle once upon a time and the response from like fuckin Nolly or some poo poo.

a) I mean if you really liked the shiny gold pedal and knew it then ehhh w/e you're bad with money but

b) Maybe they do? I was just told that it's their favorite kind of email to receive because I was real happy with what I bought. Also high 5 bareknuckle service, they fixed my (neck? i forget) sinner that was not working for free

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Most guitar companies are pretty tiny. The entire Hiwatt UK operation is basically two guys soldering and someone doing books - don't think the US side is much bigger as they flew them all out for NAMM this year. Fuzzrocious is a couple and their kids as far as I know. Zvex was Zack, his partner, and an assistant for a long time hence the move to Zvexter production. Most boutiques start as someone in their garage who either ends up with an assistant or goes crazy from the workload and runs away with the money...

Profits can be pretty slim anyway, so the less people in the operation the better.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you ever get to hit up a NAMM take the chance, you realize that you could fit most of the boutique music industry into a single bar.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Well I placed a trunk call to Big Briar in the 90's and Bob Moog answered the phone, how bout that

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Chrpno posted:

Well I placed a trunk call to Big Briar in the 90's and Bob Moog answered the phone, how bout that

look, when the secretary is at lunch someone's gotta cover for her.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chrpno posted:

:eyepop:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can someone explain the stupid music poo poo that is the Misfits discography to me? I'm looking to purchase basically all of the Danzig era stuff digitally it looks like there's a bunch of god drat overlap when it comes to songs or rerecordings or something? Then one Danzig featured album is after the first Graves album or something?

From what I've heard Collection I and II get you it all but I want to double check.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Welp. Snap these fuckers up now because Peavey just served my friend a C/D finally lol:

https://reverb.com/item/16867344-pepers-pedals-pv-fury-158-rage-in-a-box

Frankly shocked it took so long.

edit: he asked Ola, Fluff and some others to make their video demos private. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v-ljnmMfOo

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 6, 2019

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Welp. Snap these fuckers up now because Peavey just served my friend a C/D finally lol:

https://reverb.com/item/16867344-pepers-pedals-pv-fury-158-rage-in-a-box

Frankly shocked it took so long.

edit: he asked Ola, Fluff and some others to make their video demos private. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v-ljnmMfOo

So coming next year: bedroom screamer

Pretty sure you can't copyright a tone, and it sounds like the circuit is all original. Lose the PV logo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Nox posted:

Pretty sure you can't copyright a tone, and it sounds like the circuit is all original. Lose the PV logo.
Not gonna stop Dumble from trying, though! :mmmhmm:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

Can someone explain the stupid music poo poo that is the Misfits discography to me? I'm looking to purchase basically all of the Danzig era stuff digitally it looks like there's a bunch of god drat overlap when it comes to songs or rerecordings or something? Then one Danzig featured album is after the first Graves album or something?

From what I've heard Collection I and II get you it all but I want to double check.

yeah basically the original band was a mess when it came to recording and putting stuff out, and unless you're some weirdo vinyl collector there's no reason to bother with anything other than compilations

collection 1&2 cover about 2/3 of the danzig-era stuff. if you want all of it, you'll need to track down the 4cd box set, though it uses different recordings/mixes for the walk among us tracks

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I guess I'll go the Collections route since I doubt that box set is available digitally on Amazon and I'm not one to do physical media.

So is the 1/3rd of the Danzig stuff that isn't on the collections just alternated recordings and no new songs?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
nah there's a bunch of songs on there that aren't on the collection albums, like most of legacy of brutality/static age (and those are their best songs imho)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

CheesyDog posted:

If you ever get to hit up a NAMM take the chance, you realize that you could fit most of the boutique music industry into a single bar.

Yeah, it’s funny because “boutique” has come to kind of lose its meaning and just mean “something good” in tone land but it’s easy to lose sight that inherently that’s what it is, a tiny operation.

I had this argument with an (ex, because he’s a twerp) musician friend who wanted to get his first synthesiser to make his ambient drone masterpieces and was adamant that it had to be “boutique” and I was trying to explain to him dude, just make music with whatever comes to hand and learn to work a synth before you start worrying if it was made in limited runs in some guys basement and oh god I hate that hipster prick

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 6, 2019

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I have a friend who has made killer ambient drone sounds with a $300 Yamaha Reface YC and a $100 reverb pedal. Learn what ya got ya dingus

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/ay062s/aita_for_buying_my_dream_guitar_my_fiance_is/

lol

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Yes you are.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

massive spider posted:

Yeah, it’s funny because “boutique” has come to kind of lose its meaning and just mean “something good” in tone land but it’s easy to lose sight that inherently that’s what it is, a tiny operation.

I had this argument with an (ex, because he’s a twerp) musician friend who wanted to get his first synthesiser to make his ambient drone masterpieces and was adamant that it had to be “boutique” and I was trying to explain to him dude, just make music with whatever comes to hand and learn to work a synth before you start worrying if it was made in limited runs in some guys basement and oh god I hate that hipster prick

Dave loving Smith has like a dozen employees. I know this because I met most of them when I dropped by their office when I visited San Francisco.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

some loving 22 year old dingus posted:

Edit: guitar is loving fake. I called them when the dude on here shared the link tp see if I could get an appraiser and they said they’ve been trying to call me for a few days. I just talked with the music store that sold it to me and they say an employee mislabeled it and put it online when they shouldn’t have, they are refunding my money including shipping. That was a roller coaster of a day. Wow. Nothing lost I guess

lol

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Anime Reference posted:

I have a friend who has made killer ambient drone sounds with a $300 Yamaha Reface YC and a $100 reverb pedal. Learn what ya got ya dingus

those are way too expensive, he needs to go cheaper

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I love everything about this

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

https://www.rondomusic.com/product10063.html

If you lean in closely you’ll hear it wheeze “kill me! Kill... me!”

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
it's the shannon doherty of guitars

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Concatenation posted:

:drat:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Concatenation posted:

harsh but fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Concatenation posted:

I kinda feel like there's something really loving funny about this, but alas, you lost me here. :shobon: