Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Just Cause 4 has been added to Game Pass.

And there's a new digital-only box coming out in May, but the mysterious thread title changer beat me to it. :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Fanatic posted:

Just Cause 4 has been added to Game Pass.

And there's a new digital-only box coming out in May, but the mysterious thread title changer beat me to it. :sad:

3 turned out to be unplayable on my OG Bone. Does 4 run any better?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

3 turned out to be unplayable on my OG Bone. Does 4 run any better?

My understanding is JC4 looks like poo poo specifically to prevent the performance issues this time around. Still, happy to get to play the game and check it out.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Isn’t just cause 4 the one that just came out?

And people are tripping about the discless One being a One S but I’m not sure why? It’s going to be positioned as a box to play all your current and past Xbox titles and to stream next gen titles. They don’t need new hardware for that

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

trash person posted:

Isn’t just cause 4 the one that just came out?

And people are tripping about the discless One being a One S but I’m not sure why? It’s going to be positioned as a box to play all your current and past Xbox titles and to stream next gen titles. They don’t need new hardware for that

MS is excited for it because getting the drive out of there and not having to pay for Blu-ray licenses makes it cheaper to build. Honestly, no idea why any consumer would be like "oh, cool! I want that!"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

MS is excited for it because getting the drive out of there and not having to pay for Blu-ray licenses makes it cheaper to build. Honestly, no idea why any consumer would be like "oh, cool! I want that!"

If its like $150 bucks and comes with gamepass I can see it.

If its like $200+ dollars no, no I don't.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah. It's "my kid wants an xbox, which is the cheapest one?" and now they can make it a little bit cheaper.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It might be interesting if it was very small and also relatively cheap (like $129 kind-of price), although even the current Xbox Ones are something of a non-starter for my dad's place with super-poo poo DSL, this would definitely be "haha nope" for a lot of people.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Monday_ posted:

Yeah. It's "my kid wants an xbox, which is the cheapest one?" and now they can make it a little bit cheaper.

xboxes only molested children owned

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

univbee posted:

It might be interesting if it was very small and also relatively cheap (like $129 kind-of price), although even the current Xbox Ones are something of a non-starter for my dad's place with super-poo poo DSL, this would definitely be "haha nope" for a lot of people.

I think people (not specifically you, just running with the subject a bit) are really underestimating the tech industry's willingness to take money from people with good internet connections and just kinda shrug at people who don't.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

A good amount of households won't care about discs and have good enough internet that a sub $200 box for a teen's bedroom or something like that for Fortnite would probably sell.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

I think people (not specifically you, just running with the subject a bit) are really underestimating the tech industry's willingness to take money from people with good internet connections and just kinda shrug at people who don't.

I guess to be fair it's not like they're discontinuing the existing models with drives. This is probably a test bed for them to see how well it pans out for them going forward.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I think the issue could be worked around by putting download kiosks in retailers in exchange for them getting a cut or fee or something whenever the transaction happens at the kiosk. Or, again, they could just be like "oh well."

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I can think of a ton of suburban households where an Xbox One for cheap + game pass would be a hell of deal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just want to know what the restrictions of converting from physical to digital are

TheScott2K posted:

I think the issue could be worked around by putting download kiosks in retailers in exchange for them getting a cut or fee or something whenever the transaction happens at the kiosk. Or, again, they could just be like "oh well."

Bring a thumb drive to the retailer, get a copy of the game on the drive with license, go home?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Barudak posted:

Bring a thumb drive to the retailer, get a copy of the game on the drive with license, go home?

Yeah, pretty much. You can already store games on an external drive so they've clearly figured out how to secure it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It would just transfer the license to your Xbox account and you'd go home and download it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Maybe I’m missing something here but why wouldn’t retailers just continue to sell the cards with download codes?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Maybe I’m missing something here but why wouldn’t retailers just continue to sell the cards with download codes?

The idea is to solve the problem of not everyone being able to regularly download 50 gigs of game+updates.

I was just spitballing ways to address that while still giving brick and mortar retailers a reason to have a video game section in the all-digital future.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

The idea is to solve the problem of not everyone being able to regularly download 50 gigs of game+updates.

I was just spitballing ways to address that while still giving brick and mortar retailers a reason to have a video game section in the all-digital future.

Ahhhh, I see. I was definitely missing that part.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

They would eventually do what Microsoft originally envisioned for the Xbox One funnily enough.

Discs have the game and come with a one time use code in the box. You put the disc in, it installs the game, you use the code, then toss the disc since it's useless without the box.

Essentially like PC gaming did forever.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

But what about an xbox that my kid can pick up and use as a tablet? Like for car rides and other times when they absolutely have to leave the house.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FunOne posted:

I can think of a ton of suburban households where an Xbox One for cheap + game pass would be a hell of deal.

By plus do you mean paying for a sub or like getting a free year or something like that?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Blind Rasputin posted:

But what about an xbox that my kid can pick up and use as a tablet? Like for car rides and other times when they absolutely have to leave the house.

Uhhh... Nintendo Switch?

I think the SAD might actually be good if they can get a really big hard drive into it, like 1 or 2TB minimum.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Anime_Otaku posted:

Uhhh... Nintendo Switch?

I think the SAD might actually be good if they can get a really big hard drive into it, like 1 or 2TB minimum.

That defeats their cheapness

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I hope MS is scrambling to change the name and all the first-run boxes have a sticker covering it. Kinda like how my Xbone came with a slipcover over the box adding that Assassin's Creed IV was also included because Unity turned out to be garbage.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Put the hard drive in the cloud.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

One of the YouTube videos I saw on the subject said that the blu ray drive was one of the most expensive parts, admittedly I’m not sure how it compares to a decent sized HDD/SSD but for right now 500GB feels like it’s on the small side.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Real hurthling! posted:

Those sizes are cheap as hell these days, there's a reason all the trash 250 buck laptops out there come with em.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
A 1TB 5400rpm drive (because lol you know that's what's gonna be in there) is like $20 for a normal citizen, which means it would probably cost Microsoft about $3.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

By plus do you mean paying for a sub or like getting a free year or something like that?

I think you throw in a 6mo game pass code and that's enough to hook the kids and force mom to keep the subscription.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

FunOne posted:

I think you throw in a 6mo game pass code and that's enough to hook the kids and force mom to keep the subscription.

You know it'll be a one month code. Come on.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Full Game Pass additions:
  • Just Cause 4
  • LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (March 6th)
  • F1 2018 (March 14th)
  • Fallout 4 (March 14th)

And on the topic of digital, Microsoft is rumoured to in the future allow you to trade in discs for a digital copy of the game at participating retailers.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fanatic posted:

And on the topic of digital, Microsoft is rumoured to in the future allow you to trade in discs for a digital copy of the game at participating retailers.

I have to assume it will require the purchase of a Sad Bone because otherwise every single person is going to be slamming the used games section of their local store.

Except me, because lmao at the idea of their being a single Xbox anything in Japan.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Fanatic posted:

Full Game Pass additions:
  • Just Cause 4
  • LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (March 6th)
  • F1 2018 (March 14th)
  • Fallout 4 (March 14th)

Gonna run and get as many used games as I can the second that disc to digital thing happens

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Barudak posted:

I have to assume it will require the purchase of a Sad Bone because otherwise every single person is going to be slamming the used games section of their local store.

So GameStop sells a fuckload of used games that are otherwise taking up space and Microsoft gets a pile of ~engagement~

Whose day is ruined by this, again?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Barudak posted:

What? You can already do this with Xbox backwards compatibility.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

What? You can already do this with Xbox backwards compatibility.

You still need the disc, though, the game won't launch without either the disc or a digital license. But it would be nice since the majority of people can get games physically cheaper than digital, so this would workaround let you get these same prices for digital, assuming a 1:1 trade.

Also unlikely, but it would be cool if they let you do this for games which aren't available digitally anymore.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If they introduced a way to sell your digital copies (which they loving should have had) I'd be more excited.

TheScott2K posted:

So GameStop sells a fuckload of used games that are otherwise taking up space and Microsoft gets a pile of ~engagement~

Whose day is ruined by this, again?

Devs who wanted to sell a digital copy. Not that they weren't getting hosed anyway, mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Barudak posted:

Devs who wanted to sell a digital copy. Not that they weren't getting hosed anyway, mind.

If it's on a GameStop shelf for $15 they've been laid off by now