Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Reinbach posted:

I just want to point out that devilman was shrugging off those bullets in a cutscene!
Is this going to be a rare occurrence of JRPG guns being less lethal in cutscenes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Ring Soul is one of the best video game characters ever.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Kanfy posted:

Let's see, this time it took... four updates until the first reference to eating children. Not bad at all.

So what like ten updates before the first actual child death? :v:

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Reinbach posted:

I just want to point out that devilman was shrugging off those bullets in a cutscene!

Just wait till later to be REALLY Impressed.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I genuinely would have never expected to see people singing the praises of a game tutorial turned into a.... recurring mentor type character? Is that what's going to happen here? I'm not asking for spoilers, mind, I'm just thinking out loud. Or writing out where I think this goes in a forum post, I guess.

Shadow Hearts is a weird series that makes a person wonder about things they'd never imagined before. In a good way.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 6, 2019

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

GimmickMan posted:

I genuinely would have never expected to see people singing the praises of a game tutorial turned into a.... recurring mentor type character? Is that what's going to happen here? I'm not asking for spoilers, mind, I'm thinking out loud. Or writing out in a forum post, I guess.

Shadow Hearts is a weird series to make me legit wonder about this. In a good way.

Just keep in mind what series this is and who our protagonist is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DukeofCA posted:

Just keep in mind what series this is and who our protagonist is.

Oh?

Ohhh :suspense:.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

GimmickMan posted:

I genuinely would have never expected to see people singing the praises of a game tutorial turned into a.... recurring mentor type character? Is that what's going to happen here? I'm not asking for spoilers, mind, I'm just thinking out loud. Or writing out where I think this goes in a forum post, I guess.

Shadow Hearts is a weird series that makes a person wonder about things they'd never imagined before. In a good way.

I think it’s the only series I’ve encountered that turns a gameplay system into a fully-fledged character and is successful in doing so.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Nohman posted:

So what like ten updates before the first actual child death? :v:
More like next update

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

More like next update

Or the following update at the latest. Either/or.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Okay but how soon before we get multiple dead children poured together to create some kind of magical abomination

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Okay but how soon before we get multiple dead children poured together to create some kind of magical abomination

Been about 10 years since I last played, but I THINK We avoid that this game...

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

StandardVC10 posted:

What do you think Karin is?

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

Is this going to be a rare occurrence of JRPG guns being less lethal in cutscenes?

Mostly unrelated, but remember that first cutscene in Koudelka 2 where Yuri got his arm chopped off and he just put it back on coat sleeve and all? This just reminded me of that.

I like the direct upgrade of the Tekken/Soul Calibur combos to Tekken Tag combos.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

...! posted:

What do you think Karin is?

Kind of a boring space-case who has a well-worn copy of the 1914 equivalent of The Shape of Water?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode V: The Demon of Domremy

Music: Old Smudged Map ~ Europe

Now that our side venture to the Vatican is concluded, we can resume our main mission of sorting out Domremy, France for the German Empire.

Fun fact: Domrémy is a real location in France. It is currently known as Domrémy-la-Pucelle a village in bumbfuck rural France with a population of 126 people according to the 2014 census. The town is noteworthy for being the birthplace of Joan of Arc. Aside from that factoid, Jeanne d'Arc has zero relevance to anything in the plot so don't fret about that part too much. Though don't be surprised if we run into a character named Jeanne in the area. :v:

Before we venture any further, it's worth mentioning that the (still completely pointless) Score system from the first game has returned and been expanded for Shadow Hearts 2. I see they kept Distance Traveled in kilometers this time but it's still completely jacked calculations since Nicolai walked all of around a city block's distance the duration of that tutorial tower.

There are also now per-character stats for Judgment Ring successes and number of battles participated in during the game. I'd be curious to see what those kinds of stats were for the first game. I think Keith Valentine barely ever broke double digits for the number of battles he was active for the whole first game LP playthrough.

I'll probably show off that report card at the beginning of new chapters. But that's going to be a while. Let's stop dawdling and finally get to Domremy before the dang war is over.

NEW Music: In Darkness of a Labyrinth ~ Dungeon
(Very moody.)

These men have been idling without food or water at this position for like half a month now.

Good to see Super Mario had three identical brothers to take up the fight after his unfortunate run-in with the demon. There used to be a fourth brother but... Well, look... The rations and other provisions ran dry five days ago. We don't talk about that time...

A guard, eh. Don't worry, I've made the necessary preparations.
Preparations...?
<nods> Yes.
Are you going to tell me what that entails?
No.

Karin lets that vague remark slide and turns to her men.

Split up and surround the church!

Lt. Koenig has now taken over duties as the lead character in the field. She's dressed somewhat more appropriate for forest combat than the guy in the all-white Jesus pajamas.

Nothing is getting past ol' Johann here up to and including his superior officer. Funny, I don't remember Karin telling anyone to guard the rear like this. But, there is no getting past the wall that is Johann now.

I suppose we'll just have to continue forward. There is assorted loot to be found in chests or hidden in alcoves only indicated by a question mark thought bubble erupting from Karin's head. But they're all the same generic brand consumables we had with us initially, so we'll just skip mentioning any of 'em and continue our stroll through the woods. There is a mini-map now to help us navigate and it often indicates nearby treasure. So that's a helpful new feature.

Just so you know, the demon seemed impervious to bullets. And grenades...
Hmm... What of a bayonet between the ribs?
It stood nearly two meters taller than most men and could fly, so... I cannot say anyone tried.
Aha! There is our chance!
...OK. Maybe just be on the lookout here for now.
Yes, ma'am!

I couldn't say why the game felt a brisk two loading zone hike through the woods was a necessary precursor to reaching the town itself. But soon enough we find ourselves in Domremy proper.

As soon as we enter the town, Samuel here will provide infinite HP/MP restoration. The training wheels are still firmly on the bike at this point. Technically, there were random battles in the woods. But they weren't worth bothering to go over since...

There is this little wrinkle scattered around the village. There are tripwires down nearly every path in Domremy. Unfortunately, Karin was never properly trained in the highly technical art of "jumping" during her time in the military. Indeed, even the concept of stepping over a very obvious trap is a foreign concept to the Deutsches Kaiserreich. So our only recourse is to blunder into it like an idiot. Which results in...

Music: Vicious 1915 ~ Battle in Europe

An ambush by animated wooden children's toys, of course. What else did you expect? A grenade satchel? A spike trap? Pfft! You're thinking too simplemindedly when you could have a Wooden Lion roll up to bite an unsuspecting intruder's knee caps.

Or worse yet, a Ducky Toy banding together for a deadly ice attack. Toy Story goes and gets involved with Kingdom Hearts the one time and now all toys suddenly have knowledge of arcane arts. It's a drat mess, I tell you.

However, since we ARE still firmly in early game with a limited toolset, these magically enhanced toys pose a very little threat to our party and go down in a single physical attack string.

<brushes himself off> They were foolish to face me in combat.

Nicolai says the same sort of thing when smashing an ant he catches crawling on his kitchen counter with a smug sense of satisfaction. He's one of THOSE types.

<places hand on chest> Where is everybody, I wonder?
Not that we have actually checked any of the houses yet, but...
<turns to Karin> They are probably hiding somewhere. I bet that wolf that was howling was warning the villagers.
What?! Demons and wolves protecting a village?
As well as... animated toys? I'm not even sure what to make of that...
Yes, admirable, aren't they? Foolhardy, little volunteers...

Whoever set up these tripwires was clearly not a master of subterfuge. That said I wouldn't be surprised if German casualties are still in the double digits solely from vicious toy surprise attacks. Some poor 18-year-old kid from Hamburg was torn to ribbons by a particularly fierce trio of Ducky Toys. The first World War was a dark page in human history indeed.

Oh, it's you, Commander. I thought I heard some people around, that's all. Is there some other unit besides ours, I wonder?

Nothing suspicious about unnecessary ellipses when an NPC is pondering if a mysterious third party might be present during a military operation. It's probably nothing. Let's just keep heading toward the church and investigate no further.

May be that demon called in his boys.
Stay on your toes, Lieutenant! We lost Private Hans to a particularly barbarous Wooden Lion early this afternoon. There wasn't enough left of him to fit in a lunchbox. Poor boy...
<nods> Thanks for the warning, Sergeant.

The rest of the troops in town wander up to the church.

As we all know, a cleric overrides all structural chain of command when dealing with matters pertaining to a spooky church. That's just plain common sense, people.

Music: Flame of Strain to Blaze ~ Tension

Gunfire and screams immediately spill in from outside. Karin turns around rushes to the door to go help.

Stop! It's dangerous to leave now!

<stops and turns back> But why?!
He has come.
The time has come and so have I!
I... don't know what that means...

I bet the Demon of Domremy sort of regrets its grand entrance smashing through the church stained glass window was wasted on like only one named character and a bunch of nobody NPCs. Now there are multiple primary characters with portraits and everything and the best he can manage is crawling through the same window and doing a superhero pose landing. What a goof.

Show your true self, Demon of Domremy!

The demon strikes a sassy pose and...

<gasp>

Aww, snap! It's your boy -- the Rude Hero himself, Yuri Volte Hyuga! Tune in next time as Shadow Hearts II: Covenant actually begins.

Video: Episode 5 Highlight Reel
(You should watch this if you want to see Nicolai get bopped by children's toys.)

Karin Koenig Uniform Concept Art - Guess the whip didn't make the cut. Or having two female characters with whips was a bit much.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 17, 2019

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What a silly game

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Kurtofan posted:

What a silly game

Yes, yes it is...but not as silly as From The New World.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yuri put the coat back on

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oxxidation posted:

yuri put the coat back on

It's too late, he is (more of) an anime now.

I, too, will miss the coat.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Personally, in Yuri's position I'd just kill the smug rear end in a top hat trying to call me out like that rather than doing as he says.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
There's a reason the coat is gone but I don't think it comes up directly for a very long time. It's a little too busy wrapping up Alice's corpse and buried to be worn anymore. :smith:

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

I could have sworn there were more of those goofy arm dogs in this dungeon... Maybe they're in the next one with the finger spider...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
You may laugh at one cute lil' toy duck, but when you find three of 'em stacked on each other? Well that's when poo poo gets real.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kanfy posted:

You may laugh at one cute lil' toy duck, but when you find three of 'em stacked on each other? Well that's when poo poo gets real.

The fools, they were so preoccupied with whether or not they could stack 3 ducks they didn't stop to think if they should stack 3 ducks.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

With a name like Fafhrd, this guy is definitely going to join our party. Right?

Right? :smith:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DiggleWrath posted:

I could have sworn there were more of those goofy arm dogs in this dungeon... Maybe they're in the next one with the finger spider...
No, armdogs are only in SH1.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

This loving series. The sheer sass Yuri puts off in both his entrances in the games are just wonderful. Though this does lose out a little to reattaching an arm into a smarmy shrug, I think the loving toy ducks and lions even things out.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

that's a perfect "The gently caress ya want?" look from Yuri

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Kanfy posted:

Lay egg equal true!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So... what happens when the ducks make a stack of 5?

Or, God help us, 7?

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Picayune posted:

With a name like Fafhrd, this guy is definitely going to join our party. Right?

Right? :smith:

Please. He doesn't even have a portrait.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
You mean France doesn't have roving bands of killer toys normally?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode VI: Godslayer

Music: Suffocation ~ Grim Atmosphere

<unimpressed grunt>

I've been wanting to meet you, Godslayer.
Meh...That sounds way lamer now that I hear it out of someone else's mouth.
All those dead soldiers outside... Are you the one who killed them?
<nods> That's right.

Wait, what...?
You see, I don't want any witnesses to what is about to happen here.
<gasps> !?

<starts walking toward Nicolai> Give me the girl.

W-what's going on...?!

<draws sword> Come and take her, if you can.

<rolls eyes> Hmph.
Yeah sure, champ. You got this.

You thought Yuri was going to return and punch someone. But then you get a swerve ball and he kicks them instead. Shadow Hearts: Covenant is a game full of twists.

On a different topic, I am... not sure about Yuri's redesign. I miss the big trench coat. Especially when its replacement is a giant fanny pack with big ol' dangling belts because Yuri doesn't know how to tie the thing properly.

...Yikes. Are you OK?
I'm fine! This is fine. Nothing to worry about!

<picks himself up and scowls at Yuri> You!

Give me Jeanne.
N-Nicolai!

Karin isn't quite grasping the fact that Cardinal Conrad is taking a heel turn here and tries to intervene. She gets shoved on her rear end for her trouble. It's going to take a little bit more time before Karin stops being QUITE so oblivious and perpetually confused about everything.

Lenny!!

The church door opens and several people shuffle in.

Oh hey, it's this crew of kidnapping sentai villain jobbers and the man who could not possibly scream "Mid-Boss" any louder.

You're late again!!
Ha ha ha. Relax. I had a stubborn sergeant to deal with.
And like his five identical twins or... clones or... maybe it was all just different guys with the same mustache? I dunno. It was freaky!
Huh?!

<starts marching toward Lenny>
Stop right there! One dumb move and the girl here dies.
Go ahead. Then you'll die next.
Hey. That's not how a hostage negotiation works!
Yep. We're just doin' an if-then statement on the state of your head attached to your shoulders.

I wouldn't expect any less. That's exactly what makes my long search for you worthwhile.
You've been looking for me?
I was ordered by the Lord to destroy a certain... traitor. A man who brought god down from heaven and tried to lay waste to the world.
But before I could, a man with the power of a demon defeated that traitor and the god he had brought down from heaven with him.
<points at Yuri> Yes! It was you who did it!
...Yup. That sounds like me. You gotta point?

I'm glad to finally meet you, the man who stole my prey from me.
Wow... you really sucked at your job. There were like... months we just ignored that old fart and wouldn't have minded if anyone else stepped up. Where the hell were you?
That traitor was a difficult man to track down.
Did you try the floating doom fortress over Wales? It was up in the sky for like two months. It was KINDA hard to miss.
That's beside the point!

But before you grow into a problem for me like that traitor, Albert Simon, I'll root you out like the weed you are!
Who are you guys?

We are Sapientes Gladio (Sages of the Sword). We alone possess the light of new hope to guide us through the 20th century.
Never heard of you.
What are you like a villain start-up or something? Between your pajamas and the gimp squad back there...
H-Hey!
Y'all really need to workshop your uniforms. Albert Simon, now there was a baddie that knew how to dress. This is just embarrassing.

<brushes back hair> Hmph. That's fine. Once we destroy you, Godslayer, the world will learn our name.
Nobody is going to remember a big dumb French name like that.
It's Latin, fool!
Nobody cares.

Nicolai pulls out the Holy Mistletoe.

Your life will be our ticket to renown!
...Huuh?
What you want my autograph now...?

And your soul... will be brought back into God's grace by the power of the Holy Mistletoe!
<snort> OK... Sure, buddy...
Nicolai!!

Would you look at that? Karin finally figured out that maybe her partner is a bad guy. It only took him straight up saying his guys killed all the soldiers outside, said guys taking a child hostage, ranting about belonging to some cult for a few minutes and finally taking out the holy relic that they probably actually just straight up stole from the Vatican to clue her in.

Incidentally, backing up for just a minute. I mentioned in an earlier update that the Profile section of the character status screens is a wee bit spoilery. Karin's doesn't have anything out of the ordinary.

But Cardinal Nicolai Conrad. Well... Maybe this should not be something you can read literally the moment you gain control of the game.

Hey there, is she changing sides on us?!
Was she ON our side to begin with?! You gotta tell me these kinda things, boss!

She's nothing to us. She's merely a tour guide. She'll die here along with the others.
<backs up nervously> Who are you really?!
You really should pay more attention to context clues. The Godslayer and I just had a discussion on this very topic.

It doesn't matter. Thanks for bringing us here. You might have made a fine ally. It's really quite sad.

<looks at Lenny> Let that girl go. Or else...
Yeah. Or else what?! You gonna shoot her too? Huh?

The little girl wakes up and starts struggling in Lenny's arm.

Huh?! You brat!!

Karin decides now, with a wiggling child in his arms, it is time to open fire on the kidnapper.

Hey, what the hell!? I was bluffing before! Do NONE of you know how hostage taking works!?

Lt. Koenig manages to miss with the first shot and hit literally the only armored part on the body of this seven-foot tall hulking man. I think I can now see why she uses a sword as her primary weapon.

You!!

Nicolai rushes Karin with intent to seemingly stab her with the Holy Mistletoe. Apparently, the Lieutenant burned through all of her action points firing on Lenny and is utterly unable to defend herself from a jackass charging from ten meters away. However...

You really shouldn't turn your back on Yuri when he's in a punching mood.

Music: ENDS

On the other hand, this probably isn't great...

W-what the... hell!?

<scowls> ......
<figures out what happened and chuckles>
Ahh... a-all according to plan!

...Is that good?

What... the HELL IS THIS?!

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!

And then Yuri exploded.

Video: Episode 6 Cutscenes
(You should definitely watch this!)

Yuri Volte Hyuga Official Art - Yuri, why do you have like a pirate jacket's giant cuffs?

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 17, 2019

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Dark Id posted:

But Cardinal Nicolai Conrad. Well... Maybe this should not be something you can read literally the moment you gain control of the game.

To be fair, was anyone (not named Karin) fooled by the pretty boy, even for a second?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Well that's a way to depower a protagonist so he doesn't start the sequel with endgame powerups I guess.

I think I preferred the stylized portraits from the previous game more. Yuri's old design too.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Now Yuri and Konrad have to kiss, all according to the holy mistletoe

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 7, 2019

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Welp, Yuri is dead. A whole RPG as Conrad fulfilling his evil plot! The kind of twist you expect from Sacnoth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Oh man, I forgot all about Lenny.

That big lug gets some great moments.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 8, 2019