Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

R/Seablock has been whipping up a 0.16 seablock server for the past couple days. It is fuckin wild.

Like the level of complexity in bobs/angela means nobody can claim expertise or a "one true build". But the resource scarcity is so extreme teamwork is heartwarming and desperate. Since all things come from the sea, you can just build a positive loop somewhere and it is a positive contribution to the meager resources.

Also the discord dude running the server and been adapting redmew's softmods for a whole bunch of differnt ascii art surprises. There has been 3 server wipes. I was able to witness mindblowingly different approaches.

Angelbobs has a whole system for distilling resources from seawater, basically, so building a gigantic desalinization plant and mineral slurry reprocessor is a good way to make stuff. Especially cos you can automate it to only produce the resources you actually need and it can produce extremely rare resources as easily as common ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Angelbobs has a whole system for distilling resources from seawater, basically, so building a gigantic desalinization plant and mineral slurry reprocessor is a good way to make stuff. Especially cos you can automate it to only produce the resources you actually need and it can produce extremely rare resources as easily as common ones.

"as easily as common ones"

Kind of wrong on two counts. Rarer resources require more complex processes that require more research, and common ones aren't easy at all in sea block.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless they changed it, last time I tried it, slurry condesning to ore produces quite comparable levels of both iron and crazy stuff like uranium and fluorite or whatever. You just feed goop into one of the machines and it randomly spits out chunks of ore, and you can tell it what types you want. I haven't played seablock though yes I would assume you can't just mine stuff. But the slurry refining process was pretty result agnostic, I think some of the rarer ores had slightly less chance to appear per cycle, but still orders of magnitude easier than most methods of acquiring them.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Pyanadons stuff is out for 0.17 now so I grabbed it all (it's got it's own ore stuff now so no Bobs used) and I must say, it is easily the most boring start of them at the moment. Almost 3 hours in I have made 50 red science packs (by hand of course). Iron/copper plates are 8 ore to 1 plate, you need a good 1000 to 1200 iron just to make all the requirements for red packs, tin needs steam to mine so more iron to run pipes to it, quartz needs a special expensive building to mine.
"Most boring" probably isn't an accolade a mod set wants but by god, his sure has it. Give it a try if you're having trouble getting to sleep.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ratzap posted:

Pyanadons stuff is out for 0.17 now so I grabbed it all (it's got it's own ore stuff now so no Bobs used) and I must say, it is easily the most boring start of them at the moment. Almost 3 hours in I have made 50 red science packs (by hand of course). Iron/copper plates are 8 ore to 1 plate, you need a good 1000 to 1200 iron just to make all the requirements for red packs, tin needs steam to mine so more iron to run pipes to it, quartz needs a special expensive building to mine.
"Most boring" probably isn't an accolade a mod set wants but by god, his sure has it. Give it a try if you're having trouble getting to sleep.
Yeah it's crazy slow starting. Also until recently you needed lead to make bullets, which is locked behind research and a decently complex supply chain, so if you had biters turned on you spent a whole lot of time clubbing them to death once your initial 10 bullets ran out. There's an iron-based recipe now though.

Playing 2p multi, it took us almost 20 hours to get circuits1 fully automated, with a base larger and more complicated than you need to launch a rocket in vanilla. Circuits2 are several times more complex, like holy poo poo so much stuff required. AngelBob's felt like good complexity, Pyanodons kinda feels just a little too far on the tedious side. Still wanna finish it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Hello, not Factorio content, but Satisfactory just announced their early access arrival date and went up for presale on the Epic Games Store. I can't really say anything else because I'm pretty sure there's still an NDA, but that was definitely a public announcement.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Unless they changed it, last time I tried it, slurry condesning to ore produces quite comparable levels of both iron and crazy stuff like uranium and fluorite or whatever. You just feed goop into one of the machines and it randomly spits out chunks of ore, and you can tell it what types you want. I haven't played seablock though yes I would assume you can't just mine stuff. But the slurry refining process was pretty result agnostic, I think some of the rarer ores had slightly less chance to appear per cycle, but still orders of magnitude easier than most methods of acquiring them.

The issue for very early game Seablock is that the primary source of Slag is through electrolysis. Those fuckin things are crazy expensive power wise.

I suspecy the mod keeps spawning in Desert Trees cuz "ew algae", but I tell you what it doesnt matter if the drat thing consumes half of its charcoal to power itself, the algae chain is still a positive loop and I gotta do something with the 24 electolysis machines someone put down before I spawned in.

It is fascinating inspecting an unfamiliar build and then introducing your own "gentle" optimizations.

gently caress you, Ill keep rerouting the slag to landfill until you get your crystalizing smelter. Now let us all huddle around the brown algae machine and handcraft paper because we all thought someone else would do the basic circuit build.

When the server gets finalized I cannot wait for the first Lord of the Flies scenario.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

17.7 breaks mods on servers. Don't upgrade if you're doing a modded server. Rip. 17.8 is going to fix it tomorrow.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

Hello, not Factorio content, but Satisfactory just announced their early access arrival date and went up for presale on the Epic Games Store. I can't really say anything else because I'm pretty sure there's still an NDA, but that was definitely a public announcement.

Please tell me it will be somewhere other then the Epic Games Store as well.
e:

quote:

Satisfactory will be available exclusively on the Epic Store, where it can currently be preordered for $30.
loving dammit.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I got my spaghetti factory to the point where I need blue tech, and the oil is a long drat way off. Working on figuring out the blue-tech stuff and how to get it all together now.

I built a train but haven't even begun to figure out how to make it go somewhere and how to use the signal stuff/circuits yet.

How do you share your spaghetti factories? I'm perfectly willing to share my disaster, just not sure what the method used is.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

The Locator posted:

How do you share your spaghetti factories? I'm perfectly willing to share my disaster, just not sure what the method used is.

/screenshot command:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Console#Normal_commands

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Oxyclean posted:

Please tell me it will be somewhere other then the Epic Games Store as well.
e:

loving dammit.

It's a time exclusive of 6 months, after which it will presumably be released elsewhere.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Friends! Ohhhhh, friends...

The Tank. The TANK!!!

The tank is so good. I find it hard to imagine what it was like before it was nerfed. I just got over the blue science hurdle for the first time and some of the tech I’ve been unlocking is wonderful. Biters are simply not a problem anymore. Man this is a really good game.

Also, Robots are nice, but I sure hope they get faster.

quote:

Satisfactory will be available exclusively on the Epic Store, where it can currently be preordered for $30.

Welp. I was interested, but I decided a long time ago that arbitrary exclusivity in software is evil and so this is a game that I will never play. I hope the Epic Store dies. I hope all developers who sign exclusivity deals go under.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That seems a little extreme

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

ninjewtsu posted:

That seems a little extreme

There's been some particularly lovely decisions made recently either by Epic or publishers on Epic, like Metro Exodus being changed to an Epic exclusive after preorders had begun selling on Steam.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
They signed time limited deals that give them cash they needed to make the game. I don’t begrudge them it. I’m just not going to be buying it until it’s on steam if it hasn’t already starved itself of users and bad reviews.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Lordshmee posted:

Friends! Ohhhhh, friends...

The Tank. The TANK!!!

The tank is so good. I find it hard to imagine what it was like before it was nerfed.

It's still really good but I'm definitely noticing the turret nerf. I haven't set up cannon shell production yet and big worms are much more difficult now.

Still an amazing tool to get ASAP.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to have 2 or more train stops inline on the same track, but have the trains path to the farthest available station first? I want trains to line up behind one another and unload simultaneously, instead of just bumming around waiting for a stop to open up. I can kinda make it work with 2 stops but the solution for 3+ is eluding me.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Is there a way to have 2 or more train stops inline on the same track, but have the trains path to the farthest available station first? I want trains to line up behind one another and unload simultaneously, instead of just bumming around waiting for a stop to open up. I can kinda make it work with 2 stops but the solution for 3+ is eluding me.

The best way I can think of is to tell the trains to go to 1-2-3 in order, but then disable 2 with circuit conditions until 3 is occupied, and then disable 1 until 2 and 3 are occupied.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Just have one stop and put extra unloaders along the waiting blocks behind it. Trains will get emptied out while they wait for the station to clear, and will move forward as they are able to.

My preferred bulk unloading solution is to put the stops in parallel and give them identical names.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Not without circuits turning stations on/off and other complicated solutions. Trains will always go shortest route if possible, even if it blocks someone else.

Better to make them parallel like BrainMeats' method

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

necrotic posted:

It's still really good but I'm definitely noticing the turret nerf. I haven't set up cannon shell production yet and big worms are much more difficult now.

Still an amazing tool to get ASAP.

Full disclosure: I waited until I had explosive shell production going before I even built my first tank. I wanted to be wowed. I was wowed.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

BrainMeats posted:

Just have one stop and put extra unloaders along the waiting blocks behind it. Trains will get emptied out while they wait for the station to clear, and will move forward as they are able to.

My preferred bulk unloading solution is to put the stops in parallel and give them identical names.

Normally I do that too but this particular application is space constrained. I love your answer though, it's so simple I overlooked it completely.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

M_Gargantua posted:

They signed time limited deals that give them cash they needed to make the game. I don’t begrudge them it. I’m just not going to be buying it until it’s on steam if it hasn’t already starved itself of users and bad reviews.

There will be plenty of bad reviews from people who color their opinion based on what storefront you use to buy it. See the poster raging about it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I realized after I got my blue tech production all set up that I think I was supposed to do that grey tech first.. lol... Will see about getting a picture of the mess.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Powers posted:

There will be plenty of bad reviews from people who color their opinion based on what storefront you use to buy it. See the poster raging about it.

They won't be reviewing it because the Epic store doesn't have any user reviews. :v:

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I played around with a number of different ways of loading and unloading the trains but ultimately nothing compares to how well the Logistics Train Network handles things. Because it handles the stops from a problem of supply and demand, and only schedules trains for a specific task (so your rolling stock is never just going through the motions) it makes everything so much easier to handle.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mr. Powers posted:

See the poster raging about it.

Who? If you mean Lordshmee I'm pretty sure they were complaining about exclusivity in general, not about exclusivity to any particular store.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So here is the first base (after the tutorial) as it currently sits.

Way off to the upper left is an oil field from where I am piping in oil of some kind and transporting solid fuel to make the plastic and blue research.

Way down to the lower right is an iron ore field, as the ore in the original base is rapidly running out and I had to split up the smelting because too many miners are no longer in service there.

I did cheat slightly on this start and set the bugs to start at a distance of 150%, so I've only had to clean out 3 nests so far (and drat near died doing it even with my car allowing me to strafe them).

First shot is the top half of the main base which is pretty much just research stuff. The road and railway were both just experimenting and the railroad is not in use even though I've built a locomotive and some cars.

Main base where it all began and the belts are all convoluted and it's pretty hard to run through now!

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Check out the "main bus" concept. It's a logical and structured way to get products where they need to go. I use a main bus up to blue science and then I shift over to dedicated production centers connected by rail.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Check out the "main bus" concept. It's a logical and structured way to get products where they need to go. I use a main bus up to blue science and then I shift over to dedicated production centers connected by rail.

Yep, I've read the wiki about the main bus, but this base was pretty much winging it so I can sort of see how all the pieces fit together. Kind of hard to plan when I don't really have a feel for how it progresses and how many of what sort of thing I'll need, but I've learned a lot doing this. It all works surprisingly well, but scaling any of the core production stuff it interesting to say the least now. Since that central base will soon be running out of all kinds of raw materials, I'll probably have to rebuild a lot of it anyway to continue at some point. Game is addictive :)

Edit: I wish diagonal belts was a thing!

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 7, 2019

REDjackeT
Sep 2, 2009

The Locator posted:

Yep, I've read the wiki about the main bus, but this base was pretty much winging it so I can sort of see how all the pieces fit together. Kind of hard to plan when I don't really have a feel for how it progresses and how many of what sort of thing I'll need, but I've learned a lot doing this. It all works surprisingly well, but scaling any of the core production stuff it interesting to say the least now. Since that central base will soon be running out of all kinds of raw materials, I'll probably have to rebuild a lot of it anyway to continue at some point. Game is addictive :)

Embrace the mess, enjoy the mess, replay the mess.

Your base is adorable.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Few things are more satisfying than making a big ol plate of spaghetti work somehow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I keep sort of trying to route all my stuff in one place but I invariably end up branching it off so many times and in so many directions it ends up as spaghetti anyway.

The coal line is especially bad for this because you need little bits of it all over the place so it ends up going through half the base. And don't get me started on angelbobs having like three or four different coal variants you need. Eventually I just decided it was easier to route raw coal and duplicate the production for the coal products wherever I needed them.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m pretty sure I know exactly how it got there, but that one lone copper coil assembler that got booted out and has to watch the action from the shoreline is making me giggle.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Re: Satisfactory

Since Factorio runs on the computer science equivalent of black magic in order to get the thousands of things moving seamlessly at high FPS, in 2D without physics calculations, I seriously cannot believe that SF will be as good at factory-ing. It's going to have to compromise on at least one aspect (combat, depth, UI, ease-of-use, progression, toys/buildings, smooth play, scale) in order to work well, and that compromise will set Factorio ahead.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Should have a security camera building so when you get attacked it pops up a picture in picture of the attack so you can see if you should care or not.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

socialsecurity posted:

Should have a security camera building so when you get attacked it pops up a picture in picture of the attack so you can see if you should care or not.

Radar

Click on the alert popup, then zoom in enough to see if there's bugs in places that should not have bugs

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’m pretty sure I know exactly how it got there, but that one lone copper coil assembler that got booted out and has to watch the action from the shoreline is making me giggle.

You probably already guessed, but the demands of the engine factories for the blue research up top were out-stripping the existing copper coil assembly production, and right there on the shore was just the easiest way to add to the production and use the already existing delivery to where it needed to go!

A lot of my base was built that way, by observing what item was the bottleneck after production had been going on long enough to observe it, and then figuring out how to patch up that weak point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Locator posted:

You probably already guessed, but the demands of the engine factories for the blue research up top were out-stripping the existing copper coil assembly production, and right there on the shore was just the easiest way to add to the production and use the already existing delivery to where it needed to go!

A lot of my base was built that way, by observing what item was the bottleneck after production had been going on long enough to observe it, and then figuring out how to patch up that weak point.

Factorio: An series of escalating temporary fixes

The Locator posted:

First shot is the top half of the main base which is pretty much just research stuff. The road and railway were both just experimenting and the railroad is not in use even though I've built a locomotive and some cars.

Im the lovingly crafted diagonal road next to the "fuckit it goes up some then left some" belt.