Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Eltoasto posted:

And if you are a very, very good boy, you get to touch the orb.

Oh my god remember that entire performance? Remember the stadium sized “counter terrorist” room that was clearly a loving movie set? That was like 2 years ago now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Every state trip to KSA, every official finds a fat envelope full of cash and jewels in their hotel room. I'm 100% serious

i swear i read that article or whatever too but i can't find it

fake edit: this might be it? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/04/saudi-arabia-jewels-white-house-obama-ben-rhodes

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

rkajdi posted:

I understand it too. Doing it makes you a loving trash person, same as all the slut-shamers that I'd hope we all mock. Either victims deserve sympathy, or they don't. No loving exceptions.

The fact that nobody comes down on this kind of stuff like a ton of bricks just means it happens ever cycle that a victim or minority steps out of line with the tankie-light brigade. Nobody else is even telling this guy to gently caress off back to whatever poo poo-hole he crawled out of, so the next sick rape apologist feel brave and gets to say something next time to a bunch of knowing silence or high fives.

I am sure the strawman you are eviscerating feels very owned right now, but you are conflating/misreading all kinds of poo poo and it makes responding you a completely pointless endeavor. Godspeed.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
had to flip through a page or three of search results to find it because of all the stories about the Saudis bribing Donald Trump and Jared Kushner :saddowns:

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Nice. Due to his age and length of service in government I was very worried he would join in on condemning her. Glad to see he did not.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

incoming character assassination of Bernie a la Corben in 5...4...3...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Oh my god remember that entire performance? Remember the stadium sized “counter terrorist” room that was clearly a loving movie set? That was like 2 years ago now.

:orb:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Every state trip to KSA, every official finds a fat envelope full of cash and jewels in their hotel room. I'm 100% serious

The KSA are paying Vice McMahon (husband of Cabinet member Linda McMahon) millions of dollars a year in a 10 year contract to do propaganda for them to the US lower classes.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

For the Dem frontrunner, who is Jewish, to stand with Omar while the party is collectively losing their heads speaks volumes.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Chilichimp posted:

incoming character assassination of Bernie a la Corben in 5...4...3...

He's jewish so that doesn't really work. They can try the ol' "self-loathing jew" routine but he'll just tell them to blow it up their rear end.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VH4Ever posted:

Nice. Due to his age and length of service in government I was very worried he would join in on condemning her. Glad to see he did not.

Bernie . . . good?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Deified Data posted:

For the Dem frontrunner, who is Jewish, to stand with Omar while the party is collectively losing their heads speaks volumes.

Since he's not a Dem (though he'll run as one) it kind of muddles that

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

starting to think this bernard fellow might be good

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

WampaLord posted:

How do you think GoFundMe makes money?

People give GoFundMe money voluntarily when giving a campaign money. I'm not suggesting they don't wind up getting revenue as a result of medical funding campaigns, which is why I said there's obviously a relationship there. That doesn't tell me it's where they get a third of their revenue. For all I know, it's more!

TheScott2K posted:

The PSA Boys started some side thing with Trent loving Lott
I can't find anything describing what you're talking about. Do you mean the United States of Care ties with Bill Frist?

selec posted:

If you make money off those medical go fund mes, every dollar is a reason to oppose health care reform.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/pod-save-us-from-these-liberal-wonks/
Yeah, I read that when it came out too, and this is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. You wanna yell at them for working with the enemy or favoring half measures, or trying to defend the situation the ACA left us with, go ahead. But when I go digging and find the people in question are defending themselves by saying things like
https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/961026171948302336
https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/961125062970609666
https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/961014147440828418
I'm gonna stick with it being pretty disingenuous to roll that into "opposed to M4A".

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 6, 2019

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Brian Schatz said something similar to Bernie

https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1102744587335073792

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Feels like a decade.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

TheScott2K posted:

The thing about tropes is, they're not supposed to be a means of declaring subject matters off limits. If a statement fits a trope, what it means is that the listener should be more vigilant than usual about it being a lie. "Drunk Irishman" is a trope, but that doesn't get me out of a DUI just for being Irish if I am in fact drunk.

When someone is making a case that "a Jewish-identifying group are using money to influence policy," that absolutely fits a trope but that doesn't mean it's not true. It means, before going any deeper into it, it's incumbent on people to make extra effort to be sure it isn't a lie, because that type of lie has hurt and killed people. In the case of AIPAC, they'd be the first ones to tell you it's true (or at least would have a month ago).

This whole discourse irritates the gently caress out of me because a lot of people who do indeed know better are using tropes as tripwires to shut down discussion of how we're enabling what's being done to Palestinians, and they're doing it because they have an agenda that discussion of that works against.

Sometimes referencing a trope is a racist and discriminatory act all by itself. For example, if your boss calls you an “angry black woman”, or else references the trope of the angry black person, that is itself a harmful thing and an act of racial discrimination. If he then fires you, or fails to promote you, or gives you worse assignments than you were getting before, or takes any other adverse action, you can and should sue him for employment discrimination.

(IANAL, I am not practicing law, nothing in this post is legal advice).

Similarly, Omar’s tweet plays into the harmful trope that Jewish people work behind the scenes to manipulate global affairs. It may indeed be true that AIPAC uses money and political influence to support a pro-Israel political interest (it is true, and as you point out they would agree that is the point of their organization) but it is possible to point that out without sounding like something from the Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Omar did not pay enough attention to her words, and she crossed the line. She apologized.

Now, it’s nuts that we’re still talking about it now , and that’s thanks to the Dem leadership. And they certainly deserve some criticism. But there’s no need to turn on good people going a good job like AOC and Pelosi so viciously over this. It only hurts the party.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

stupid question, isn't bibi possibly hosed, like he is reduced to siding with the most insane right wing psychos to try to save himself. if he gets kicked and likud fractures, then maybe better parties can take over.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Levitate posted:

Since he's not a Dem (though he'll run as one) it kind of muddles that

He signed a DNC loyalty pledge or something yesterday he's basically a dem

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the tide is turning in this story. With any luck, Dem leadership will see that opposing Likud policy is actually a major part of the coalition and use it as a way to define themselves against the GOP. I'm not particularly optimistic that that's what's going to happen, but it's not inconceivable. The GOP is definitely going to try to extort the Dems into punishing Omar again, and they'll still have Dem allies.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ogmius815 posted:

Similarly, Omar’s tweet plays into the harmful trope that Jewish people work behind the scenes to manipulate global affairs.

:lol: what

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

What part of that is confusing you?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Ogmius815 posted:

What part of that is confusing you?

Probably the part where you perpetuated the smear campaign.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ogmius815 posted:

Now, it’s nuts that we’re still talking about it now , and that’s thanks to the Dem leadership. And they certainly deserve some criticism. But there’s no need to turn on good people going a good job like AOC and Pelosi so viciously over this. It only hurts the party.

Some mean posts on Something Awful do not "hurt the party" you lunatic.

Criticising politicians is good, it's how they get better.

Ogmius815 posted:

It may indeed be true that AIPAC uses money and political influence to support a pro-Israel political interest (it is true, and as you point out they would agree that is the point of their organization) but

loving lmao

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ogmius815 posted:

but it is possible to point that out without sounding like something from the Protocols of the Elders of Zion possibly antisemitic

How?

Ignoring your exaggeration since that is a very specific kind of statement to make and misrepresents (intentionally?) what the rules and the stakes of this debate really are. There is in fact no "right way" to do it and those pretending there is are being disingenuous. How does one criticize the lobbying efforts of AIPAC, or any instrument of the state of Israel, without opening themselves to accusations of antisemitism? Because if I can imagine an uncharitable interpretation of literally any take on the subject, I guarantee you the brokebrains can do better.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Look I know the whole "middle of the road both sides are wrong" approach can be appealing but Ilhan Omar said the truth about AIPAC and claiming that it "plays into harmful tropes" is bull.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This is a pretty dumb take.

You can believe that and I will just be over here, Not Munching Piss.

KillerQueen posted:

Look I know the whole "middle of the road both sides are wrong" approach can be appealing but Ilhan Omar said what is literally the truth about AIPAC and claiming that it "plays into harmful tropes" is bull.

Here's the thing, if you apply no context to it and hear it sort of edited, it does sound antisemitic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ogmius815 posted:

Similarly, Omar’s tweet plays into the harmful trope that Jewish people work behind the scenes to manipulate global affairs.

hmmm tell me more about your weird nazi brain associations

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Push El Burrito posted:

Here's the thing, if you apply no context to it and hear it sort of edited, it does sound antisemitic.

Everything that criticizes Israel is anti-Semitic per ADL and AIPAC. So something wrong: Either its targeted to suppress any criticism (its this) or its actually anti-Semitic.

Choose one.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

KillerQueen posted:

Look I know the whole "middle of the road both sides are wrong" approach can be appealing but Ilhan Omar said the truth about AIPAC and claiming that it "plays into harmful tropes" is bull.

It was how she phrased it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The context is a brown, visibly Muslim woman is saying it and that's why it sounds antisemitic to a lot of people - because those people have an unreasonable bias that Muslims are antisemitic and color the statements with that. These people might not mean it, and may not be truly Islamophobic in their hearts, but they need to be cautious in their language so as not to perpetuate harmful stereotypes about Muslim people.

See how easy this poo poo is

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"AIPAC lobbies."

"Hrm so you're saying the Jews secretly run the world, that thing we all assume people are saying?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Man, I can't wait for the day that the ADL and AIPAC call out Bibi for shaking hands and siding with Anti-Semitic organizations.

Oh wait, he's the Israeli prime minister, and that makes him exempt? drat.

sexpig by night posted:

"AIPAC lobbies."

"Hrm so you're saying the Jews secretly run the world, that thing we all assume people are saying?"

Is Israeli exclusively a Jewish entity? Sounds like the problem lies with them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

eviltastic posted:

People give GoFundMe money voluntarily when giving a campaign money. I'm not suggesting they don't wind up getting revenue as a result of medical funding campaigns, which is why I said there's obviously a relationship there. That doesn't tell me it's where they get a third of their revenue. For all I know, it's more!

I can't find anything describing what you're talking about. Do you mean the United States of Care ties with Bill Frist?

Yeah, I read that when it came out too, and this is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. You wanna yell at them for working with the enemy or favoring half measures, or trying to defend the situation the ACA left us with, go ahead. But when I go digging and find the people in question are defending themselves by saying things like
https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/961026171948302336
https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/961125062970609666
https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/961014147440828418
I'm gonna stick with it being pretty disingenuous to roll that into "opposed to M4A".

The fucker is still on the board of USofC. If he actually gave a drat he would resign and join one of the god damned m4a groups.

Bullshit it wasn't established to be so.e middle of the road another insurance industry surrogate think tank that was used to derail M4A.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Doctor Butts posted:

She actually phrased it 100% accurately and honestly!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1103382044401418243

Even the Republicans admit this is just a cynical strategy to divide the left lol

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Look she said that people shouldn't have an allegiance to Israel over America. It's not like Arkansas passed a law stating that your company can't work with them if you boycott Israel or anything.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Doctor Butts posted:

How would you phrase it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Push El Burrito posted:

Look she said that people shouldn't have an allegiance to Israel over America. It's not like Arkansas passed a law stating that your company can't work with them if you boycott Israel or anything.

She was talking about legislators, who are AIPACs target. C'mon now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Steve King is a wailing shitgibbon, and any day that goes by with him still in office is an affront to all decent Americans.