Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

sebmojo posted:

U know what 2 do

Simultaneously the most tame and awesome bachelor party ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Go to shake his hand and then armwrestle him like Arnie.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Drunken Baker posted:

My little sister and her fiance are 33 and her fiance hasn't seen Aliens or Predator and I don't approve of their upcoming marriage one bit.
You know that scene in A Clockwork Orange? That. For the full running time of both movies.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Vietnamwees posted:

Wouldn't people already know about which cyborg was good and evil from the commercials? Isn't that a huge point of its advertising?

There's scary badguy music whenever the Robert Patrick Terminator is onscreen and Arnie gets rock n roll, it's a bullshit idea nerds made up

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 6, 2019

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Code Jockey posted:

welp just had my first death in Isolation waited a bit too long in the transit car looking around. That scared the poo poo out of me and this owns

I was like why is the music getting all tense? Is there going to be something scary in the transit car? It got there and nope, empty, so I think oh lol the game was faking me out, I'll just look at the magazines wait what is that souOH gently caress OH GOD

Please continue to update this thread with your experiences as I am reliving my first time through Isolation through you and it owns.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

There's scary badguy music whenever the Robert Patrick Terminator is onscreen and Arnie gets rock n roll, it's a bullshit idea nerds made up

Really though it wouldn't change much if they'd filmed and marketed it that way, woulda been a star wars level wtf moment, what a waste.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

so the villain of the last film is self evidently the hero of this one because of a five second music cue?

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Drunken Baker posted:

My little sister and her fiance are 33 and her fiance hasn't seen Aliens or Predator and I don't approve of their upcoming marriage one bit.

That would make a manly bachelor party. Strippers and Aliens and Predator. Maybe the manliest. Unless he hasn’t seen The Thing yet either. Then it’s no question.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Surely there’s gotta be an Alien vs Thing comic somewhere right

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

feelix posted:

Aliens is a really bad movie, OP. Alien was a wonderful, unique, rich film with interesting characters, while Aliens is a lovely action movie full of cardboard cutout cliches. It's loving rear end.

Before I joined the Marines I thought the grunts in Aliens were ridiculous caricatures.

After a few years in the Marines I wondered why they had made the grunts so bland and washed out.

Edit: You can tell I was a Marine because I misspelled "caricatures" and had to go back and fix it.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 6, 2019

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Really though it wouldn't change much if they'd filmed and marketed it that way, woulda been a star wars level wtf moment, what a waste.

it woulda been sweet but the movie's pretty explicitly structured around "the Terminator's back, and he's fun now!", probably they thought about it at some point and then figured the whiplash from having the same movie tell people the Terminator really is a terrifying murder robot and also he's a sympathetic protagonist would hurt the film more than the twist being actually surprising woulda helped it

sebmojo posted:

so the villain of the last film is self evidently the hero of this one because of a five second music cue?

I mean I could get into all of the many extremely obvious ways this scene differs from this scene that everyone but you and a handful of youtube nostalgia critic guys picked up on, but sure the music.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 6, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Durzel posted:

What about Hicks eh? What does Hicks do???

Hicks gets out of the Corps and goes back to school on the Space GI Bill. He majors in business, but his GPA is pretty crappy because he doesn't study and doesn't go to class much. He has ideas about starting a veteran-owned T-shirt business selling shirts with pictures of Xenomorphs on them with the saying "Game over, man, Game over!" printed on the back, but never manages to scrape up enough money to launch the website.

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
fuckin love that bit in t2 when sarah conner is magdumping the turbo nerd's house with a suppressed m4

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's a neat little gun alright.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

It's a neat little gun alright.

I loved the movies - Alien, Aliens, hell, I even liked Alien 3.

That machinegun bugs me. The whole thing with a machinegun is that when you're getting shot at you drop prone, then return fire. You don't just stand there and shoot from the hip, and that whole rig looks like it would be really hard to use lying down.

One way I can rationalize this is to think that these Marines haven't been in a real war in decades, they've only been in "bug hunts" where they didn't have to deal with someone who shoots back.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

After the Cola Wars devastated most centers of industry the only remaining building capable of producing on a mass mobilization scale was the steadicam factory

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 6, 2019

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cessna posted:

That machinegun bugs me. The whole thing with a machinegun is that when you're getting shot at you drop prone, then return fire. You don't just stand there and shoot from the hip, and that whole rig looks like it would be really hard to use lying down.

One way I can rationalize this is to think that these Marines haven't been in a real war in decades, they've only been in "bug hunts" where they didn't have to deal with someone who shoots back.

"Looking badass" is very important to the military. The YF-23 and the X-32 planes lost the competition to the F-22 and F-35 because they were goofy looking.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

FogHelmut posted:

goofy looking

Why would you say that?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Cessna posted:

Its called a smart gun cause it's supposed to target and aim for you. You can crouch or use it prone according to the sick rear end tech manual.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Cessna posted:

I thought that was deliberate: at the beginning, they are utterly confident in their skills and badassery and pretty much as soon as they hit the planet's surface, they are shown to be utterly incompetent soliders and get their poo poo completely pushed in.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

I thought that was deliberate: at the beginning, they are utterly confident in their skills and badassery and pretty much as soon as they hit the planet's surface, they are shown to be utterly incompetent soliders and get their poo poo completely pushed in.

I'm not sure that's fair, they were handicapped with no live ammo at first, had a tactical doofus calling the shots, combined with poor intel.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Alien 3 is good.

What the hell is people’s problems with it?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cessna posted:

Why would you say that?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Robokomodo posted:

Alien 3 is good.

What the hell is people’s problems with it?

skasion posted:

3 is an okay sequel to Alien, but a terrible sequel to Aliens

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

I'm not sure that's fair, they were handicapped with no live ammo at first, had a tactical doofus calling the shots, combined with poor intel.

Yeah they had a ton of firepower at their disposal which they don't get to use because of poo poo leadership.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

But why?

The immediate dismissal of Newt and Hicks was unfortunate, but if you can get past that, it’s a good film.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Robokomodo posted:

But why?

The immediate dismissal of Newt and Hicks was unfortunate, but if you can get past that, it’s a good film.

it starts out with a really bold NOPE gently caress THE HAPPY ENDING YOU JUST SAW WE'RE DOIN THIS NOW and then fails to do anything at all with the idea of the aliens except mush the previous two movies together, badly. There's a hundred early-90s direct-to-video space monster knockoffs that never got the name but manage to be better Alien movies.

At least Resurrection took the premise and made its own thing out of it, we've done the horror of sex now here's the horror of Ripley meeting her child. It's badly executed but there's a point to its existence. Alien 3 is like, Alien vs. Predator vs. The Terminator-grade.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 6, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Robokomodo posted:

But why?

The basic appeal of Aliens is that it’s a movie about Ripley, an average working stiff who nobody really respects, getting sneered at by bad rear end marines two hours before they all get wrecked, and then she suits up and kicks every alien’s rear end. She wins the respect of Manly Man Hicks, spits in the eye of evil megacorporation, and protects a surrogate daughter like she never could protect her own. It’s a story of an underdog getting empowered and kicking her enemies to the curb, and that’s the key to why people like the movie.

Alien 3 decides it doesn’t want to do that. Killing off Hicks and Newt is just a symptom of how it basically resets her from having morphed into a kickass action hero, to being an average working stiff like in the first movie/start of the second again. It’s a story about a woman deciding her life is basically irrevocably hosed, evil is inside her, and she must destroy herself. It’s not an indefensible choice and like I’ve said, I think Alien 3 is an ok movie despite having serious problems, but it’s not satisfying as a follow-up to Aliens.

There's a hundred early-90s direct-to-video space monster knockoffs that never got the name but manage to be better Alien movies.

Exaggeration. Forbidden World and maybe Galaxy of Terror are the only two I can think of that are even close.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

One of my favourite scenes is when they first start treating her with respect,

https://youtu.be/kXs1lB0y6bM

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

skasion posted:

The basic appeal of Aliens is that it’s a movie about Ripley, an average working stiff who nobody really respects, getting sneered at by bad rear end marines two hours before they all get wrecked, and then she suits up and kicks every alien’s rear end. She wins the respect of Manly Man Hicks, spits in the eye of evil megacorporation, and protects a surrogate daughter like she never could protect her own. It’s a story of an underdog getting empowered and kicking her enemies to the curb, and that’s the key to why people like the movie.

Alien 3 decides it doesn’t want to do that. Killing off Hicks and Newt is just a symptom of how it basically resets her from having morphed into a kickass action hero, to being an average working stiff like in the first movie/start of the second again. It’s a story about a woman deciding her life is basically irrevocably hosed, evil is inside her, and she must destroy herself. It’s not an indefensible choice and like I’ve said, I think Alien 3 is an ok movie despite having serious problems, but it’s not satisfying as a follow-up to Aliens.

Exaggeration. Forbidden World and maybe Galaxy of Terror are the only two I can think of that are even close.

I get that it’s certainly not as good as 1 or 2, but there is so much venom behind what most people say about it. You’re calmer and more rational than most.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Alien was a bitch of an act to follow, the fact Aliens managed it set up 3 for failure, and even if you don't hate it most of those people wouldn't say it's even good.

I remember how disgusted my dad was at the drive in, haha, he loving loved the first 2.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 6, 2019

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Aliens is so loving good. I see it every time it shows up in theaters here.

Alien and Aliens are such a fantastic, complete story for Ripley that everything about 3 feels like bad fanfiction.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 6, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

it woulda been sweet but the movie's pretty explicitly structured around "the Terminator's back, and he's fun now!", probably they thought about it at some point and then figured the whiplash from having the same movie tell people the Terminator really is a terrifying murder robot and also he's a sympathetic protagonist would hurt the film more than the twist being actually surprising woulda helped it

I mean I could get into all of the many extremely obvious ways this scene differs from this scene that everyone but you and a handful of youtube nostalgia critic guys picked up on, but sure the music.

It seemed obvious when i saw it back in 1992 that there was an intended element of tension about arnie in the beginning of the movie e.g. when he comes round the corner with a shotgun in slow motion and the kid scrabbles away in sweaty terror but I guess if you're convinced otherwise then that's cool

The Terminator was called The Electric Murderer in Poland and I'm blown away by how much better that name is

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sebmojo posted:

It seemed obvious when i saw it back in 1992 that there was an intended element of tension about arnie in the beginning of the movie e.g. when he comes round the corner with a shotgun in slow motion and the kid scrabbles away in sweaty terror but I guess if you're convinced otherwise then that's cool

The Terminator was called The Electric Murderer in Poland and I'm blown away by how much better that name is

Yes, the tension comes from sympathizing with Connor who's suddenly seeing all his mom's paranoid fantasies come to life, as well as the knowledge that the real threat is right behind him and he's about to run to it in terror.

skasion posted:

Hardware had Iggy Pop and pretty much completes the thought of what Weyland-Yutani would do with the aliens

I guess Species wasn't technically DTV, and I'm definitely not going to defend it as being a good movie but it's better

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 6, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Hardware had Iggy Pop, man

We all walk the wibbly wobbly walk

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Hardware rocks but it’s surely Terminator-based, not Alien.

Does Lifeforce count? I like that one.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

IDK everything that happens revolving around one specific protagonist and the setting's relationship to the apocalypse as like a concrete place you can travel from rather than a vague looming doom are so integral to Terminator movies. Hardware's got a robot but underneath that it's just another big primal id monster some random schmoes turn up that starts systematically murdering them all cause that's what it does, the big difference being it's doing it for not-Raytheon instead of sex.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 6, 2019

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
alien 3 was totally gimped from the very beginning by the execs repeatedly changing their minds and interfering with the script while the film was in production. It was Fincher's first movie and had he been left alone then I don't doubt it would have been a classic. Apparently the experience was so bad that he went back to directing music videos and adverts for years afterwards. It's quite amazing that a half-decent film eventually came out of that nightmare. There's a good documentary on the subject I can't find. So here's another one instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYeoyC0QV1w

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

VikingSkull posted:

Colette Hiller as Corporal Ferro, the dropship pilot, is probably the best character of all the Marines and no one remembers her

we're in the pipe, 5 by 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vESxCZe0HA

Corporal Ferro was such a badass that my gaming group all fought over who got to roll her for their newly-conceived Mechwarrior LAM pilot in my BattleTech campaign.

Similarly we had a Drake and a Vasquez appear in our Twilight:2000 campaign.

I do remember reading the Alan Dean Foster Aliens novelization after the movie came out. The book contained Hudson’s “knives, sharp sticks” monologue, the Newt family prelude and the sentry fun scenes and I was always bummed that the movie didn’t include them.

Imagine my surprise and delight when the director’s cut came out. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I am enjoying this thread and I agree that the first two Alien, the first two Terminator, and yes, even the first two Predator movies were amazing and I wish I could go back and watch them all again for the first time.
And I'm happy to see that there are so many other people that enjoyed them as much as me.

Carry on.