Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is that panther-shaped gargoyle a reference to something?

The one you see Peter B. lounge on his backstory. It reminded of Black Panther.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is that panther-shaped gargoyle a reference to something?

Context?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sony have uploaded the first 9 minutes to YouTube :3:

https://youtu.be/zzH4rV08TLI

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Its wild to me how much happens in just ten minutes alone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's basically Spider-man being a bit Batman.

Always thought they'd probably get along.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

nerdman42 posted:

Its wild to me how much happens in just ten minutes alone.

Yeah, I watched that clip, and it was INSANE to think about how many plot threads and setups were introduced JUST in scene where Miles is being driven to school by his dad, and none of it feels inorganic or shoved in. You're just smoothly being fed information that pays off down the line.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So in the UK, Cineworld's doing something called IMAX Film Festival tomorrow, so I get to watch this movie in IMAX for super cheap! :toot:

Just a heads up for anyone else in the UK who's interested.

I think I've watched this movie...maybe too many times?

Still psyched for it, though.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Does anyone else feel the extra spider-people were just excess baggage? I would have preferred a bit longer with Miles as Miles rather than the endless gag moments.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Vitamin P posted:

Does anyone else feel the extra spider-people were just excess baggage? I would have preferred a bit longer with Miles as Miles rather than the endless gag moments.

Nah, I mean they didn't even try give the last 3 and much importance as they were just short hand for "there are a lot of dimensions involved here this is bad".

The story is really pretty fast paced considering all that happens in the first 10-15 minutes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Vitamin P posted:

No they were all great.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vitamin P posted:

Yeah, I get that. Miles was great as he was, but his development felt a little too abridged.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

I was expecting to be frustrated with all the extra spiderpeople and for them to give short-shrift to the origin story, but I was extremely impressed with how well they complemented the origin story.

Spiderman is a weird choice for multiple universes and high-strangeness sci-fi, but it's a really tight story that is well-told.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Nah, the minor Spider-People are great. They serve to accentuate the cross-dimensional craziness and are counterparts for the other villains in the final battle. Probably the only plot thread that suffers is the relationship between Gwen and Miles and even then, its not that big of a deal (and is probably going to be the centerpiece of the next movie). The most incongruous thing is the weird amount of time it gives to being sad over Peni's robot being destroyed.

Fun detail I noticed on rewatch: when Miles first looks at the spider suit in Aunt May's basement, his reflection is below it. When he does it again in the What's Up Danger sequence, his reflection is level with it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Copied from the animation thread:

I'd have to watch the movie again with this in mind to think about how it would affect the movie's pacing, but for right now man I wish they'd left it in.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, I get that. Miles was great as he was, but his development felt a little too abridged.

this is very true (Miles is just a little too good at fighting in that final battle after how passive he'd been the entire movie), but also I can't imagine the movie without all those extra Spider-Men. They possibly could have made a movie with just Miles/Gwen and Peter B. but i think that the frantic pace and overstuffed nature do the movie a lot of good.

i watched this again last night and it's still a miracle. Right from the opening seconds with the production company tags it brings you into this world, and there's not a second in the movie where I'm not completely absorbed. It feels like Miles, it feels fresh and exciting and young and cool and full of heart and unabashedly dorky. The soundtrack is perfect, the casting is perfect, the look and feel are perfect, the score is perfect, it just doesn't look or sound like anything else in film.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Miles' development being abridged was part of the point of the story - up until this point in his life everyone had been giving him all the time he needed to grow and telling him he's got endless potential and he's going to do great things but when he's thrust into a situation where he needs to get his head in the game right this goddamned minute it turns out he doesn't actually have what it takes, and his peers had to reluctantly tell him that he didn't make the grade and they had to leave him behind.

It's a reversal of the usual Spider-Man origin where Peter Parker was a loser until he gained super powers and realised he now had the ability to do great things. Miles was always being told he was destined for great things but it wasn't until he gained super powers that he realised that he'd been wasting his potential all along.

Edit: remember that Miles' involvement in the whole superhero situation happened because his teacher forced him to write an essay on Great Expectations and his response to the assignment was to create this:

..... which his uncle not only encouraged but also approved of.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 2, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It sounds like it relates extremely well to the condition of modern young people being told they're gifted and have so much potential to the point where it just comes off as pressure, and the inevitable wall they hit when they actually have to do something difficult because no one thought to prepare them for failure.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'll be upfront dude, that's a little 'old man yells at clouds'-y type of generalization. In any case, I think Miles' personal conflict is in part due to Lord and Miller's fascination with oblivious protagonists who don't realize how much they suck until they have to start not sucking. See: Cloudy, Lego, 21 Jump Street

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

I don't think they detracted from Miles' story, but I do think having three of them subdivided the comic relief in a way that made all of them less than they could have been if they just focused on one comic relief character or a duo that played off each other instead of all of them having their own set of individuated gags.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Miles doesn't suck, it's just that no one appreciates his talents.

It's the same with Emmet from the Lego Movie.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Suck is probably a bad word choice by me. It's more that they're universally characters who are ignorant of their situation and what is necessary of them. Instead they choose to believe their status quo will get them through their extreme circumstances, until the third act revelation where they are faced with the need to change their perspective to be able to overcome their conflict. But until then, they are ignorant of how ill-equipped they are to deal with their situation. Thus: They suck at hero-ing until they come to the realization that their limited view of hero-ing isn't who they need to be. Thus they stop sucking at it.

This could just be a reflection of western storytelling, I don't know, I never read Hero with a Thousand Faces.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I'll be upfront dude, that's a little 'old man yells at clouds'-y type of generalization. In any case, I think Miles' personal conflict is in part due to Lord and Miller's fascination with oblivious protagonists who don't realize how much they suck until they have to start not sucking. See: Cloudy, Lego, 21 Jump Street

I mean... it's kinda six one way, half a dozen the other. What you quoted is something I've seen a lot of millennials and gen-Zers gripe about in relation to themselves, not what the old men yell at clouds; we all kind of see ourselves as that kind of Lord/Miller protagonist.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
It's kind of a knee jerk reaction to the common refrain 'New Generation isn't capable of good things because generalized trait'. Even if it's trying to offload the fault to elders, it's still kind of a gross misinterpretation of a large portion of the world. Not to mention ignoring larger societal and economic forces that is actively trying to artificially create a lost generation. I don't doubt that lack of preparation is a real phenomenon that individuals are facing, but to write off a generation's lack of success to upbringing seems stretching.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
After everyone complained about having Spider-man origin story after origin story on screen after Sam Raimi and Marc Webb, Marvel did the whole "one line and it's explained" thing in Homecoming so we wouldn't have to deal with it again.

Then Spider-Verse leans super-heavy into the origin story - while giving us 6 more origin stories within it - and it's the best Spider-man yet imo. It's amazing and it's a testament to why Spider-man works as a hero.

Also, I am a complete and total IDIOT for not knowing about the after-credits scene. Holy poo poo I was laughing my rear end off.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Does anyone have that comic cover of Aunt May marrying Doc Ock, and the Spiderverse equivalent?

I saw it on twitter but couldn't find it again, maybe the artist deleted it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There’s no need for him to be in the movie at all, but I treasure each of Nicholas Cage’s lines and consider them a gift to cinema.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
The problem with superhero origin stories, particularly Spider-man’s, is that the narrative arc usually follows the trajectory “normal person lives a normal life, until one day powers. Protag spends a lot of time figuring out their own powers and has adventures related to the novelty. Protag has a dilemma on whether or not to act selfishly and chooses to be selfish. Bad guy antagonizes, protag has no choice but to step up. Protag has another dilemma thematically related to the earlier one(s) and this time makes the correct choice, thus fully transforming into a hero.”

It’s solid — so solid that it can be done well an infinite number of times. But it’s dull for Spider-man because not only have we seen it, we’ve seen it with all the specifics, from the powers to the dilemma that proves the story’s theme (“with great power comes great responsibility.”) Spider-verse pulls off the origin story because it has a different theme and the protagonist has a different set of dilemmas - not just different from other Spider-man origins but also from most other superhero origins.

Yeah I do want the combo, and some extra ketchup please.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I saw it on twitter but couldn't find it again, maybe the artist deleted it.

Here's one, maybe not the original, but it's still the same idea
https://twitter.com/mleelunsford/status/1084990686892453888

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

howe_sam posted:

Here's one, maybe not the original, but it's still the same idea
https://twitter.com/mleelunsford/status/1084990686892453888

Peter B in the background with the "Been here, done this" look, just the best.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xibanya posted:

The problem with superhero origin stories, particularly Spider-man’s, is that the narrative arc usually follows the trajectory “normal person lives a normal life, until one day powers. Protag spends a lot of time figuring out their own powers and has adventures related to the novelty. Protag has a dilemma on whether or not to act selfishly and chooses to be selfish. Bad guy antagonizes, protag has no choice but to step up. Protag has another dilemma thematically related to the earlier one(s) and this time makes the correct choice, thus fully transforming into a hero.”

It’s solid — so solid that it can be done well an infinite number of times. But it’s dull for Spider-man because not only have we seen it, we’ve seen it with all the specifics, from the powers to the dilemma that proves the story’s theme (“with great power comes great responsibility.”) Spider-verse pulls off the origin story because it has a different theme and the protagonist has a different set of dilemmas - not just different from other Spider-man origins but also from most other superhero origins.

Yeah I do want the combo, and some extra ketchup please.

Yeah using an origin story helps deal with a bunch of narrative problems movie writers come up against with superheroes: they don't have to include an audience stand-in/idiot sidekick Watson character whose sole purpose is to constantly goad the hero to make exposition dumps, they get to ease the audience into the crazy superhero milieu step by step instead of asking them to just accept flying lasereye weirdos right off the bat, and an origin story is often the only kind of genuine character arc these characters get that doesn't require reams and reams of complicated backstory. Origin stories make it so much easier to write a superhero movie.

Writers get real antsy if their main character is exactly the same at the end of the movie as they were at the start but comicbook superheroes are really resistant to change and were traditionally designed to be static so the comicbooks buyers could drop out for a bit and when they came back they could jump right back in with the latest issue without needing to buy all the issues they missed to understand what's going on. (New writers were often handed a little booklet that explained what the superhero had to be like and laid out the rules of what they weren't allowed to change.) That's a big advantage if your business model is targeted market cheap periodicals but it's a huge disadvantage if you're making a wide release one-and-done (with potential sequels) big budget movie.

The sequels themselves are a whole new problem because the superhero has already used up their origin character arc and the audience just wants to see them confidently kicking rear end instead of doubting themselves and having to rediscover themselves all over again. Quite often the writer will throw in relationship troubles or a new sidekick (a vicarious superhero origin) or do a deep dive on a villain's origin. (The 90s Batman films did all of those over and over.)

The writers on Into The Spider-Verse were clearly really really familiar with all this and obviously turned it to their advantage.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I finally saw this and I don't have much to add because it's a fantastic, beautiful movie.

One thing I did notice is that Gwen only says she, "failed to saved her best friend" and when Peter B. sees the other MJ she tries to dissuade him from talking to her by saying, "Trust me. I've been there. You've got to move on." While the other Spider-persons don't know it. We the viewers do see her best friend was her dimension's Peter Parker. Who died in a fight with her and since she arrived arrived earlier then the others. She watches this dimension's Peter Parker die as well and until Miles shows up thinks Peter B. will die destroying the reactor. That's a lot lowkey trauma happening.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
During the Prowler chase scenes they put in some sort of industrial grinding noise that sounds ominous.

It's bugging me now because I know I've heard that same sound in either a movie or a trailer for movie not that long ago and I just can't place it.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Vakal posted:

During the Prowler chase scenes they put in some sort of industrial grinding noise that sounds ominous.

It's bugging me now because I know I've heard that same sound in either a movie or a trailer for movie not that long ago and I just can't place it.
The Prowler motif I think you're referring to is apparently a distortion of an elephant trumpeting. No idea where else you might've been hearing something like that though.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Drakyn posted:

The Prowler motif I think you're referring to is apparently a distortion of an elephant trumpeting. No idea where else you might've been hearing something like that though.

It finally came back to me after listening to videos you linked.

It's the intro for American Gods that has similar sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBkoG-8E-2w

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just saw it for the second time, but this go around was in IMAX 3D. Still so good, definitely my top film of 2018. I’m so happy it won the Oscar and got this secondary release.

I legit teared up more than once, for various emotions. Aaron in the alley, the leap of faith sequence, the post-credits bit. Pure gold.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I finally saw this, and I really loved it, but it super bummed me out that the first movie with Miles as Spider-Man in it had a decidedly mediocre white guy training him and then gatekeeping him, and later giving his blessing all, "you're not a real Spider-Man. Okay, you're a real Spider-Man."

It's less a problem with the flick and more an indictment of where we are as a society.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

LividLiquid posted:

I finally saw this, and I really loved it, but it super bummed me out that the first movie with Miles as Spider-Man in it had a decidedly mediocre white guy training him and then gatekeeping him, and later giving his blessing all, "you're not a real Spider-Man. Okay, you're a real Spider-Man."

It's less a problem with the flick and more an indictment of where we are as a society.

Peter B. was really actively pushing Miles as equal to the other Spider- People. That was the whole scene in the Aunt May's shed where's he trying to get Miles to show off his powers. Just before the fight in her house, he's insisting to the others that Miles would come back and not let them down. Even in Miles' dorm, he's not forcing him to stay out of gatekeeping, he's doing because he genuinely wants Miles to prove himself and come, but Miles can't. If anything, it was the other Spiders who were gatekeeping by not even wanting to give Miles a chance.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

LividLiquid posted:

Did we see the same movie? Peter B was all about hyping up/building up Miles after the Alchemax escape. Before that, Peter barely even believed in himself.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Like the others mentioned, Peter B’s the only one who really went to bat for Miles just before the climax. He legitimately bent over backwards trying to convince the others that Miles could do it, and only relented because Miles screwed up majorly a couple times in quick succession (leading the baddies to May’s, and largely not being much help in the ensuing fight).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Like the others mentioned, Peter B’s the only one who really went to bat for Miles just before the climax. He legitimately bent over backwards trying to convince the others that Miles could do it, and only relented because Miles screwed up majorly a couple times in quick succession (leading the baddies to May’s, and largely not being much help in the ensuing fight).

Also because Miles' uncle was just killed and he knows firsthand how much that fucks with a person.

That wasn't a decision Peter was making lightly, because he knew doing it was 100% going to result in his death. He was choosing to die so that Miles wouldn't.