Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also because Miles' uncle was just killed and he knows firsthand how much that fucks with a person.

That wasn't a decision Peter was making lightly, because he knew doing it was 100% going to result in his death. He was choosing to die so that Miles wouldn't.

Also he was giving in to his death wish as a way of avoiding dealing with his own problems. And Miles teaches him that he needs to face his problems and go on living.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LividLiquid posted:

I finally saw this, and I really loved it, but it super bummed me out that the first movie with Miles as Spider-Man in it had a decidedly mediocre white guy training him
Some of what you say just is a flaw/aspect of a hero journey like this.

But I'd like to see how you make this play out differently? Does he come across Spider-Man India as a mentor? Do we cast a Donald Glover as alpha spider man in a way that allows Miles the chance to adequately define himself in the movie?

Hell, most of Peter B's reluctance is just his terminal fear of loving it Up so he's not keeping Miles down until the scene where they all split on him.

Heck, during the big May Backyard Shed scene, the other Spiders are basically peppering Miles with Prove Yourself scenarios (Hyper hacking! Super fisticuffs!) making it seem like he had to conform to these things to be considered an equal.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I do think Miles' parents will be pissed when they find out. Peter Parker was perfect, and yet he died by having the bad luck of a hadron-collider exploding on him, and he leaves behind a young widow and a lone mother-figure. Miles' parents won't be impressed by his super-strength, agility, or that that he's Spider-man since Spider-man has died once already.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 7, 2019

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The last few posts exemplify why this movie is so good.

So much depth and nuance with so few words and scenes

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To me, it felt clear that the main onus on Miles' life is everyone - family, teachers, and the Spiders - having such high expectations and hopes for him and constantly pressuring him to live up to what they know he's capable of. But while he certainly is capable of meeting and exceeding those standards, he isn't comfortable or happy being rushed and pressured into everything. He needs to take things at a pace he's comfortable with, on his terms. I thought that was clearly his bond with his uncle, his uncle was the one person who just treated Miles as Miles for who he is, not who he hopes Miles will be.

Miles only becomes Spiderman when he is ready, not when people expect or demand him to step up.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cythereal posted:

I thought that was clearly his bond with his uncle, his uncle was the one person who just treated Miles as Miles for who he is, not who he hopes Miles will be.

Miles only becomes Spiderman when he is ready, not when people expect or demand him to step up.

Yeah he never tries to push Miles or pile expectations on him and at the every end he tells him to just keep being himself: "You're the best of all of us, Miles. You're on your way. Just keep going."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miAwNu2IdlI

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I love Aaron’s quiet ‘No no no no’ as everything suddenly unravels right in front of him.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love how well they did at characterising Aaron and establishing the importance of his bond with Miles with actually a pretty small amount of screentime.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Aaron and Miles have only one scene together before Aaron goes to "work", but you wouldn't notice that fact.

I do wish the MCU would stop undercutting dramatic scenes with a joke. Here they cut out Peter Porker's line about his electrocuted uncle smelling good and it gave us a far touching moment then you'd expect from a cartoon pig.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 7, 2019

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
That joke was amazing, but I'm also glad they cut it. I'm just hoping it shows up in the bonus features.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I bet they could fill bonus features with Peter Porker jokes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I do wish the MCU would stop undercutting dramatic scenes with a joke. Here they cut out Peter Porker's line about his electrocuted uncle smelling good and it gave us a far touching moment then you'd expect from a cartoon pig.

Wait, what scene was this supposed to be in?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Probably the one where the Spider-People console Miles after Aaron's death and everyone but Ham shares who they'd lost, with Ham saying that the hardest part of the job is that you can't save everyone.

Though I did still appreciate the little bit in that scene that Peter B. lost his uncle Ben and Peter Noir lost his uncle Benjamin

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I bet they could fill bonus features with Peter Porker jokes.

Please! An entire reel of outtakes of Mulaney swearing. "I've been Spider-Ham 30 loving years!!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mameluke posted:

Probably the one where the Spider-People console Miles after Aaron's death and everyone but Ham shares who they'd lost

Yeah that was it exactly
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/01/into-the-spider-verse-cut-a-popular-spider-ham-joke-for-a-very-good-reason/

Apparently it got big laughs in the test screenings but that undercut the tone of the scene so they had to reluctantly cut it

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The_Doctor posted:

I love Aaron’s quiet ‘No no no no’ as everything suddenly unravels right in front of him.

Mahershala Ali did a hell of a lot with very little time as Aaron. All the voice actors were great, but yeah that "no no no no no" just pushed the tragedy of the entire scenario over the edge.

Probably been mentioned already, but I loved all the villain designs. I hope they bring back Doc Ock at least.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Her VA was pretty excellent. I loved the quiet "our collider".

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So the full Spider-Ham short has made it onto the web and it is wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6yAyhgcEk

mods change my name to 'Nuclear Boarhead' tia

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So the full Spider-Ham short has made it onto the web and it is wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh6yAyhgcEk

mods change my name to 'Nuclear Boarhead' tia

I want comics of every single villain listed here but especially WMBees

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So I might be overthinking it but depending on how you interpret the scene in the collider at the end Kingpin not only failed to bring back a copy of his family but he ruined his chance to ever do it against because he managed to drive away every single version of his family in the multiverse at once by beating up Spider-man in front of them. I have a hard time thinking of any villain who owned themselves so completely and thoroughly, let alone in a way that didn't kill them as pretty much every other superhero movie and animated family film is wont to do.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If you think about it, the collider opened up the same dimensions each time, so you have to assume that the Matt Murdock Richard Fisk was from either Gwen or Peter B.'s universe, and that there was a Vanessoink and Richog Fisk left on the cutting room floor

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Mann posted:

So I might be overthinking it but depending on how you interpret the scene in the collider at the end Kingpin not only failed to bring back a copy of his family but he ruined his chance to ever do it against because he managed to drive away every single version of his family in the multiverse at once by beating up Spider-man in front of them. I have a hard time thinking of any villain who owned themselves so completely and thoroughly, let alone in a way that didn't kill them as pretty much every other superhero movie and animated family film is wont to do.
You're not overthinking it, I'm pretty sure that's exactly how you're supposed to interpret it.

I read somewhere (maybe here?) that the sequel could be an alternate universe Kingpin busting into Miles' universe to destroy everything because Miles' Kingpin messed things up with his wife and son and I think that could work pretty well.

Mameluke posted:

If you think about it, the collider opened up the same dimensions each time, so you have to assume that the Matt Murdock Richard Fisk was from either Gwen or Peter B.'s universe, and that there was a Vanessoink and Richog Fisk left on the cutting room floor
Oh maaaaaaan that's a missed opportunity.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mameluke posted:

so you have to assume that the Matt Murdock Richard Fisk was from either Gwen or Peter B.'s universe,
Its Gwen's, Kingpin Matt Murdock was the main antagonist for the majority of her comic.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

asecondduck posted:

I read somewhere (maybe here?) that the sequel could be an alternate universe Kingpin busting into Miles' universe to destroy everything because Miles' Kingpin messed things up with his wife and son and I think that could work pretty well.
Maybe if that universe's kingpin was, like, Miles' uncle or some unassuming dude Miles becomes friends with (the anti-Gwanda. Basically).
Though reusing Kingpin is kind of... iono.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Guy Mann posted:

I don't think the collider is powerful enough to connect every universe ever, but he absolutely ruined some Fisk(s)'s marriage(s).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think the point is that in every universe where the Kingpin is the Kingpin in any sense that matters, he ends up driving away his family sooner or later.

Also, Peter Porker is striding the rather thin line between Spider-man and Deadpool.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I know it’s not exactly age-appropriate, but I have to share that my 2yo loves this movie. He chooses it over Elmo, and he always asks if Spider-Man is okay after the first collider explosion and after Miles falls off the building.

Yesterday he started doing “the shoulder touch” :3:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think the point is that in every universe where the Kingpin is the Kingpin in any sense that matters, he ends up driving away his family sooner or later.

Also, Peter Porker is striding the rather thin line between Spider-man and Deadpool.

It's really more old-school Looney Tunes in Spider-Ham (wait, am I allowed to say that? Like, legally?).

Deadpool does a lot of the same manic "anything for a laugh" humor and physical comedy that Looney Tunes did, but R-rated.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 13, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

asecondduck posted:

It's really more old-school Looney Tunes in Spider-Ham (wait, am I allowed to say that? Like, legally?).

The original mid-80s Spider-Ham comicbooks were wall-to-wall slapstick and crazy exaggerated expressions and poses, they obviously had a strong Tex Avery/Looney Tunes influence

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's quite a lot of pink in those pages. And I presume that Daily Beagle employee is a cat that is supposed to be very 'cool'.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Something I noticed having watched the "Leap of Faith" scene a million times (and watched the deleted scenes)

The voice clip where Miles says "When will I know..." isn't from the actual movie, but from a deleted scene where him and Peter are talking on top of a billboard.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I enjoyed that peter porker was a spider who got bitten by a radioactive pig

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

QuarkJets posted:

I enjoyed that peter porker was a spider who got bitten by a radioactive pig

I was so glad that they kept his original 80s origin. :haw:

I used to read those comics as they were published when I was a kid.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda cute that Peter Porker basically adopts Aunt May.

I've always felt that Peter being raised by his aunt and uncle who are for all intents and purposes his parents highlights the preciousness of his family bond, that they've taken him in as their own unquestioningly and he has that tight a bond without direct connections of blood.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Can I just say I really appreciate that Peter B. actually said "thwip?"

"You just thwip it out, then double tap to release. Thwip it out..."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainCrunch posted:

Can I just say I really appreciate that Peter B. actually said "thwip?"

"You just thwip it out, then double tap to release. Thwip it out..."

I loved this movie from the second the comics code stamp came up but this was one of the parts that just made me beam.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I loved this movie from the second the comics code stamp came up but this was one of the parts that just made me beam.

I saw it 3 times on the biggest, best screens I could and I was grinning like a jackass from lights down to lights up every drat time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There was a great AskReddit post recently about ‘What film has given you a movie high?’ and OP sited Spider-verse. I can definitely concur with that.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The glitching logos and rising, glitching noise that came with them was a pretty great way to set the stage but yeah, all it took for me to know I as in for a good time was the CCA stamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Legit. In the theatre, watching it for the first time, I was constantly commentating under my breath 'This Movie is so goddamn cool' and 'This Movie is so goddamn good'.

Also, I may never feel the same level of joy as I did when I saw the Spider-Buggy and the post-credits.