Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Australia's ABC had a hell of a grab bag of cartoons. Roger Ramjet, Daria, Lil' Elvis Jones...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

For the longest damned time I started wondering if I dreamed about The Cat Came Back or imagined it or something. I remembered watching it as a kid like once but never saw it again. I tried to find it on YouTube a few times but it apparently hadn't been uploaded or something until I found it relatively recently.

It was weirdly vindicating as I was like "I loving KNEW THIS ACTUALLY EXISTED."

I had a similar experience with that. It aired on Nickelodeon in the late-1980s at least once or twice. It stuck with me for another couple of decades. I knew it was real because my dad saw it, too. It'd come up every now and then, half-remembered tales of what this guy went through to get rid of the cat. Then one day I found it on the internet, likely in the early days of YouTube.

My fever dream cartoon from childhood was Pipe Dreams, which I'm fairly sure I saw on a Tom & Jerry cartoon block on TBS. You'd see a couple of Tom & Jerry, then stuff like Cool Cat, Popeye, a Three Stooges short and occasionally something out of the 1930s.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My fever dream cartoon from childhood was Pipe Dreams, which I'm fairly sure I saw on a Tom & Jerry cartoon block on TBS. You'd see a couple of Tom & Jerry, then stuff like Cool Cat, Popeye, a Three Stooges short and occasionally something out of the 1930s.

I don't think I've seen Pipe Dreams before, but it's very similar to the Porky Pig cartoon Wholly Smoke, which came out the same year.

My fever dream cartoon was the version of Hare Ribbin' where Bugs shoots the dog at the end, which I found really disturbing. This cut was supposedly never aired, and there's no record of it having been released on VHS. It apparently was released on a laserdisc collection, and while I have no recollection of anyone I knew owning a laserdisc player, I guess it's possible I saw it at a friend's house, or else I saw the released version (in which the dog shoots himself) and happened to misinterpret/misremember it as Bugs shooting the dog anyway. But it's weird that I would've done that when the version I remembered actually exists!

I was going to say this was the first cartoon I saw where the violence bothered me, but that honor goes to The Cat Came Back, of all things. Because of the bug on the train tracks. I was a sensitive kid, I guess.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Australia's ABC had a hell of a grab bag of cartoons. Roger Ramjet, Daria, Lil' Elvis Jones...

Holy poo poo Roger Ramjet's flooding back to me. I also just remembered that Cartoon Network (I think) down here aired totally scattered episodes of Batfink in the late 90s-early 00s, for some reason.

You could get some really weirdly scattered stuff on Australian TV, especially once you took into account Foxtel (Australian cable) channels. I remember that middle of the weekday on the Comedy Channel was a goddamn graveyard of short-lived American sitcoms that I presume they got cheap broadcast rights to.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 09:15 on Mar 6, 2019

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

His wings are his protection, like a shield of steel!

My god. Why is this in my brain forever?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Rollersnake posted:

I was going to say this was the first cartoon I saw where the violence bothered me, but that honor goes to The Cat Came Back, of all things. Because of the bug on the train tracks. I was a sensitive kid, I guess.

Holy poo poo, I thought I'd never heard of The Cat Came Back but as soon as I saw this post I had a flashback to that awful bug on the train tracks scene. Stuck with me for years, although I remembered it being a lot grimmer (and without the cheerful music.)

The way he just splits in half. :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Cat Came Back, The Big Snit, and virtually all other Canadian shorts, animated or otherwise, are all available from the National Film Board, I believe for free and a lot of them are also on youtube.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/the-cat-came-back/

So proud right now. :canada:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Speaking of 70s cartoons:

I recently saw a Ralph Bakshi film that presented the Br'er Rabbit stories in Harlem, and it was astoundingly racist and homophobic. Even for the time. I forget the name.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

Speaking of 70s cartoons:

I recently saw a Ralph Bakshi film that presented the Br'er Rabbit stories in Harlem, and it was astoundingly racist and homophobic. Even for the time. I forget the name.

It's called coonskin. It's a direct response to how the Godfather glorified white organized crime and pretty much the only white man who worked on the film was a Palestinian Jew who grew up in Harlem.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Coonskin, which is a really ugly satire of Song of the South and blacksploitation films. Ralph Bakshi has that deeply problematic thing going on where he means well but seems to think that having grown up around black people and being sympathetic toward them makes him qualified to speak for them.

He's a fascinating filmmaker, but egotistical to a fault, and his casual sexism and careless use of racial stereotypes put me off a lot of his work.

Despite this, I'll defend his Fritz the Cat as having held up amazingly well as a condemnation of white male privilege. A cynical "hero's journey" starring a self-centered but intelligent protagonist who seems like he's always on the verge of doing the right thing, but never does, because he doesn't actually NEED to in order to succeed, and it's everyone else who suffers the consequences of his actions. It is absolutely brutal, the closest he ever came to a masterpiece, and unironically one of my favorite movies of all time.

Edit: I haven't read the original comics, so apologies if I'm praising Bakshi here for things that R. Crumb deserves credit for.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 12:45 on Mar 6, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

Edit: I haven't read the original comics, so apologies if I'm praising Bakshi here for things that R. Crumb deserves credit for.

Crumb loving hated the movie and actually killed Fritz the Cat right after the movie was released.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CelticPredator posted:

That whole bit is the best part of the movie

There are no jokes.

It's just a bunch of semi-famous people gurning and making loud noises.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

sassassin posted:

There are no jokes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

sassassin posted:

There are no jokes.

Have you seen the real TMZ?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

Crumb loving hated the movie and actually killed Fritz the Cat right after the movie was released.

Probably because it wasn't racist enough.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

grittyreboot posted:

How is it that no one in the 70's realized how aggressively ugly their cartoons were?

It was the 70s, everything was ugly as sin.

Source: I was born in the 70s and remember a little of it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Groke posted:

It was the 70s, everything was ugly as sin.

Source: I was born in the 70s and remember a little of it.

Nana? Are you lost?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the 70s looked cool

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

the 70s looked cool

If you like brown earth tones the 70's were awesome.

The animation was terrible though. I think people forget just how awful cartoons were from about the mid-70's until 1989 when the Little Mermaid kicked off the new Disney era.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 00:55 on Mar 7, 2019

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Oh, that ending where Bugs shoots the dog aired all right. As a wee goonling I saw a lot of those "banned" cartoons aired. Not on the official Bugs Bunny Saturday morning show, bit back in the day local stations would have a half hour to hour of cartoons on in the afternoon to catch the just out of school crowd. They were uncut, so we got to see "Well, now I've seen everything...." BANG! in multiple instances, Inky and the crow, the Bugs vs. the Japanese troops one, and lots of Africans with plate lips and nose bones.

So many of those got aired up to at least the seventies, and I'm pretty sure I saw some up to around 80. By then I was more able to go "Uh, wow - that's pretty racist " and be surprised that they were shown.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Have you seen the real TMZ?

No.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Krispy Wafer posted:

If you like brown earth tones the 70's were awesome.

The animation was terrible though. I think people forget just how awful cartoons were from about the mid-70's until 1989 when the Little Mermaid kicked off the new Disney era.

People from after that sure don’t forget. I remember seeing garbage reruns of the “good” shows like Transformers and He-man and loving loathing them compared to my Doug and Rugrats. And I remember being baffled online a few years later when the first wage of 80s nostalgia kicked in and the then-20 goons were reminiscing about how great cartoons were back in the 80s.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Transformers is loving incomprehensible. I tried watching an episode a few years ago and I had to turn it off because it was giving me a headache.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Kids animation is probably better now that the cartoons aren't literally toy commercials.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OgO78zybaA

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
GIJoe was the only 80s cartoon I could really get into, and between it and Wolfenstein 3D I had a pretty good handle on what to think about fascism even as a kid

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Danaru posted:

GIJoe was the only 80s cartoon I could really get into, and between it and Wolfenstein 3D I had a pretty good handle on what to think about fascism even as a kid

There’s an episode of GI Joe where a diplomat comes and tries to negotiate with Cobra, and he’s obviously a moronic dipshit and the G.I. Joes all try to tell him that you can’t negotiate with Cobra, and then Cobra betrays him and the GI Joe guys all show how good they are because they come and rescue him even though he was mean to them.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Kids animation is probably better now that the cartoons aren't literally toy commercials.

it really is, kids animation is leagues better now that it's trying to teach real lessons and explore moral issues jr. rather than just sell toys

you do still get toy franchise bullshit though, like paw patrol or pj masks or frenetic nonsense like that. britain has a lot of great shows though, ben and holly's little kingdom is great and sarah and duck is like televised valium

(source: i have a toddler)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The difference between the 1980s She-Ra and the current one is night and day.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Sofia the First, however, is to the guillotine.

E: Chris Pratt as a fat loser has also aged poorly in early Parks and Rec, but not in the way Tom did

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Mar 7, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Caillou is the most pure cartoon because there are absolutely no merchandising opportunities at all.

Arthur is the best cartoon if only because they snuck in a Glengarry Glen Ross joke.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
I'm watching an episode of Seinfeld, "The Shoes", and a major plot point involves Jerry and George looking at a 15 year old girl's cleavage. She's played by a 22 year old Denise Richards, but nonetheless... :pedo:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

I sort of caught on to this when I was a kid, but only in the specific case of Transformers—because my older brother collected them, and I didn't know the cartoon existed until some time later.

I loved She-Ra, Real Ghostbusters, Ninja Turtles, Power Rangers, etc, but Transformers? They're just toys. Why would I want to watch some dumb show about toys?

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

MachineryNoise posted:

I'm watching an episode of Seinfeld, "The Shoes", and a major plot point involves Jerry and George looking at a 15 year old girl's cleavage. She's played by a 22 year old Denise Richards, but nonetheless... :pedo:
Your reasonable revulsion to this made me laugh because you seem to not know that Jerry Seinfeld actually dated a 17 year old high schooler when he was 39

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Breakfast Club holds up about as well as it ever did, except for the makeover at the end.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What's wrong with the makeover? I haven't seen it in forever. Is it just super 80's makeup?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

What's wrong with the makeover? I haven't seen it in forever. Is it just super 80's makeup?

It's the 80's thing where she looks better before the makeover, and definitely more fashionable in todays terms.

The movie also drops the bad f word twice but it's not really treated as a joke or anything.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I always forget Breakfast Club is R while loving Poltergeist is PG

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Len posted:

I always forget Breakfast Club is R while loving Poltergeist is PG

Wait, why is it R?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Breakfast Club holds up about as well as it ever did, except for the makeover at the end.
Bender has aged really poorly, just because the movie tries to have him come across as a misunderstood outcast when nowadays he seems more like a school shooter in the making.