Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I think The Dark Id would be pleasantly surprised we're killing child abominations in combat, that guy Lets plays WAY too many games that involve child murder in some way, shape or form.

Also, little grammar/spelling thing. You're is typically read is "You Are" as a contraction, if you refer to someone (Or in a couple instances, a group) in the singular sense, you wanna use "Your" like "Your Buddies", just something I've noticed in your updates here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Satchel Charges are the devil. I never had much trouble with Dead Money's traps but satchel charges got me so many times. One time I tried leading deathclaws up through that hellish little pass and they avoided them all like ninjas.

I love how hilariously dopey High Road can be.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Holy poo poo that guy talks a lot. I never played this DLC and now I'm kinda glad.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Oblique Angle posted:

Holy poo poo that guy talks a lot. I never played this DLC and now I'm kinda glad.

Chris Avellone makes good characters or really, really annoying characters. There isn't much in-between.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oblique Angle posted:

Hey, at least you can shoot him in the face at the end. Or punch in Sun's case.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Oblique Angle posted:

Frankly I am having a hard time understanding the story for this DLC mostly due to how long and the way he talks. I'm going to need a TLDR at some point or I'll have to check a wiki to understand what the hell is going on.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
But he's a Legacy! Danger is his DUMP STAT!

I like the atmospherics of the Divide. It's... wrong, in a way that a few more places should be in the post-apocalypse.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I do like this DLC quite a bit. New Vegas is pretty flourishing by Fallout standards, and most of its dangers stem from other people whose interests are at odd with yours in some way. The Divide is just a hostile post-Apocalyptic hellscape where nobody lives, and Ulysses comes off as more of a rival type than someone opposing you or using you for their own ends.

Heir03 posted:

Frankly I am having a hard time understanding the story for this DLC mostly due to how long and the way he talks. I'm going to need a TLDR at some point or I'll have to check a wiki to understand what the hell is going on.

He's kind of building up to a point that he has yet to bring up, but I think the next chat session is when he drops it. You're not supposed to understand what he's going for yet.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm reading through Ulysses' (meandering) dialogue and it was really starting to sound like a re-hash of the plot stuff from KOTOR 2

You're special because of how you manage to affect those around you. You don't explore the wasteland/force so much as you influence everything around you. You're not special because you're the PC, your're the PC because you're special. Everything you've done up to this point means something. What you have done here will have consequences.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Ulysses confirmed for being that one character from the Simpsons who gets freaked out about how perfect the life of bumbling oaf Homer Simpson is.

"I KNOW! I'LL HUG AND KISS THIS DEATHCLAW, BECAUSE I'M SUN VULT-" :gibs:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh man, Ulysses is totally the Frank Grimes to your Homer. I hadn't even thought of that!

"You have safehouses all over the Mojave, a high-tech personal suite in the Big MT and how many penthouse apartments on the Strip? I live in an irradiated bunker above an active nuclear warhead, and below another warhead! I have worked every day of my life for the Legion, and what do I have to show for it? This breathing mask and these dreadlocks!"

"If you had lived in any other time, you would have starved to death long ago. You're a fraud, a total fraud. *turns to ED-E* It was nice meeting you."

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 7, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

CzarChasm posted:

I'm reading through Ulysses' (meandering) dialogue and it was really starting to sound like a re-hash of the plot stuff from KOTOR 2

You're special because of how you manage to affect those around you. You don't explore the wasteland/force so much as you influence everything around you. You're not special because you're the PC, your're the PC because you're special. Everything you've done up to this point means something. What you have done here will have consequences.

Welcome to Obsidian. They've rehashed the same story beats in almost everything they've done, and most of those story beats they've inherited from Black Isle, to boot.

Ulysses is doubly intolerable because of that.

Also Lonesome Road commits the sin of just being really dull and linear, and suffering from really poor understanding of gameplay difficulty. You're basically just walking down a brown corridor while zombies and deathclaws scream and charge at you, and then sometimes Ulysses rambles at you incoherently because he's a pretentious loving idiot. Dead Money was similarly linear, but you did a lot of things there which weren't just "shoot at man/lizard."

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Dean Domino is a pretentious loving idiot, but with style.
And you can lock the guy bossing you around to die alone in a metal tomb, which is a noticeably absent option here.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

It seems that Dead Money was going to lean on the fourth wall, so to speak, with the former Elder mocking you for blindly following the quests on your Pip-Boy and the compass in the corner of the screen - there are some cut but findable sound files to that effect.

Perhaps that was pulled back for Ulysees to throw a strop about how the Courier is like... A protagonist or something!

There are other interesting bits about Ulysees and his motive, though, so I don't want to be seen as completely pooping on the character.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It's one thing to have NPCs yelling at you for things you, the player, have done (like joining the Legion). It's another to have one rant at you for things you couldn't have done.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I need to play the rest of my current NV playthrough to refresh myself on exactly why Ulysses is so batshit about you. It might have already been covered by Sun, but it's honestly enough for me to just write him off as another delusional person trying to fabricate meaning in a world that doesn't have anything like that anymore.

"You're telling me I did all of this stuff and that I'm some personification of change? Buddy, you need a shrink. poo poo happens. You either deal or get dealt."

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

McTimmy posted:

It's one thing to have NPCs yelling at you for things you, the player, have done (like joining the Legion). It's another to have one rant at you for things you couldn't have done.

That's one of the biggest problems of this DLC; Ulysses is big on 'tell, don't show.'

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Ulysses’ back-story is that he grew up in a vault which entire library was endless copies of Hemingway.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
For those new to this DLC (or don't remember all of it), Ulysses does explain why he's so fixated on you and why there's nothing you could've done to prevent it.

Not spoiling anything, but I will do a deep dive on it when we confront him face-to-face. As well as provide my own commentary on it.

Won't be defending him or anything, just an explanation and opinionated piece.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

inscrutable horse posted:

Ulysses’ back-story is that he grew up in a vault which entire library was endless copies of Hemingway.

Wow these Vault Tec social experiments are really hosed up

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Except Hemingway is usually pretty concise so I don't get that criticism.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm pretty sure Ulysses grew up in a vault where the only available literature was angsty fanfiction.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Wouldn't it make more sense that if Ulysses grew up in a vault with only the works of a rambling fart huffer that if would be James Joyce? I mean, it's right there. Unless that's the joke.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Nothing but recordings of a Fallout universe Infowars-analogue. Video recordings.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Ulysses' vault was stocked with copies of Fallout 76. It's all overcompensation.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Ulysses is just begging for a dumb character dialogue build.

:v:"The gently caress you talk about rad-breath?"
:bahgawd: "For the last time, all you have to do is get the robot to zap that panel, just tell it to! Please."
:v: "Did ya catch any of that ED-EE?"
:awesomelon: "exasperated beep"

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Except Hemingway is usually pretty concise so I don't get that criticism.

I was thinking more in the lines of the International Imitation Hemingway Competition. :)

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Ok that's actually pretty funny.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

Chapter 78: Sun Vulture and the Why Of It

Try to guess what movie I saw last weekend.

ApeHawk fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 10, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I love how Ulysses has all those long monologues and then "I'm going to lobotomize this thing rather than kill it just so it can suffer more, HA HA HA." pointless heel turn.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I love how Ulysses has all those long monologues and then "I'm going to lobotomize this thing rather than kill it just so it can suffer more, HA HA HA." pointless heel turn.

Sounds like Kreia to be honest.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Come to think of it it's way past time that we get a character who's both stupid and insane. Good on you lonesome road.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'll be honest, I like Ulysses. The whole pondering on the purpose of a courier, the horror of realizing that the Legion doesn't just dehumanize its victims but also its own agents, and "who are you, that do not know your history" standard of defining a character through the question they're always asking themselves.

He's the quintessential Avellone character, and I'm sure the next update will get into the reason he's so needlessly cruel to ED-E.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

By popular demand posted:

Come to think of it it's way past time that we get a character who's both stupid and insane. Good on you lonesome road.
have you already forgotten caesar

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'll be honest, I like Ulysses. The whole pondering on the purpose of a courier, the horror of realizing that the Legion doesn't just dehumanize its victims but also its own agents, and "who are you, that do not know your history" standard of defining a character through the question they're always asking themselves.

He's the quintessential Avellone character, and I'm sure the next update will get into the reason he's so needlessly cruel to ED-E.

At the same time, he is a human jerk-off motion.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

bony tony posted:

At the same time, he is a human jerk-off motion.

These are the same photo.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I kinda wish there was an alternate 'snipe Ulysses when he spies on you' ending. Cut that Gordian knot in half.

When those things work, it's pretty satisfying.

Like this wonderful speedrun of a massive open-world RPG
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeR-bT3uv0

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I am not a fan of what the DLC does here. It "but thou must"s you into deploying a nuke to continue, and then Ulysses pops up, reveals that you're indirectly responsible for annihilating a fledgling society in the past, and says "See, you just launched a nuke! You proved my point!" :smuggo:

Elfface posted:

I kinda wish there was an alternate 'snipe Ulysses when he spies on you' ending. Cut that Gordian knot in half.

When those things work, it's pretty satisfying.

Like this wonderful speedrun of a massive open-world RPG
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeR-bT3uv0
Would it be anticlimactic? Yes. Would it be worth it? Absolutely.

The DLCs all suffer from a lack of options to resolve their main stories. The antagonists are safely tucked away until the game allows you to confront them. There's a clearly defined scenario and you're not allowed to take any clever shortcuts. I guess if they let you do that, there wouldn't be much to the DLCs, but it's disappointing. Dead Money's unusual setup justifies this tight structure but I don't think the other three do. I'd prefer a single, larger DLC that could stand on its own without all of the emphasis on the main scenario. (And without ripping away your followers, too! Sheesh!)

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

It is a pretty jarring moment, since the game gives you dialogue choices that explicitly point out contradictions in Ulysses' arguments, but not the Ashton one.

Anyway, finale to Lonesome Road should be up tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Dead Money is great when you walk in with Unarmed 50+ and punch dudes' heads off.