Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Agrikk posted:

Similarly we had a Drake and a Vasquez appear in our Twilight:2000 campaign.
I've just had a great idea for rebooting the Twilight movies...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm not sure that's fair, they were handicapped with no live ammo at first, had a tactical doofus calling the shots, combined with poor intel.

This is the answer to the gently caress up. I bet they really were highly trained and they already mentioned at least one other deployment they've been on. Hell, Hicks falls asleep in the absolutely horrifying dropship drop because he's so experienced that it's all just routine for him.

The answer to the Marines being incredibly full of themselves and cocky is because they are Marines.

Cessna, you can back me up on this.

edit: it's because Marines are, in fact, badass

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 7, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

One of my favourite scenes is when they first start treating her with respect,

https://youtu.be/kXs1lB0y6bM

I love that too. Apone's realization and him cracking up is sort of endearing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That loader was seriously loving cool. I mean it still is a bad rear end idea and I’d be down to use one of those if they were a real thing.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I admit to not remembering her name, but
the character was definitely not forgotten.

Corporal Ferro was one of my first crushes, what a badass bitch.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
In the 90s my friend's mom wore sunglasses just like that and had a lot of similar facial figures so we always joked about that.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I love that too. Apone's realization and him cracking up is sort of endearing.

His laugh is so perfect and the delivery of "where do you want it" loving slays me too.

Goddamn guess it's an Aliens night.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I watched Aliens 3 nights ago, Alien 2 nights ago, Aliens again last night because I had to shut if off early 3 nights ago, and I might do Alien 3 Assembly Cut tonight.

I have a problem. An ultimate badass problem.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I still haven't seen that cut of Alien 3, so I'm quite unqualified to speak on the film, really.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I guess I got lucky because I went into t2 blind, i was in the first grade and knew the Arnold robot was bad from the first one and I thought Connor was just double hosed

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I still haven't seen that cut of Alien 3, so I'm quite unqualified to speak on the film, really.

I don't remember all of the cut parts but it basically changes the film. It goes from, eh ok, to hey this isn't that bad.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Cessna posted:

I loved the movies - Alien, Aliens, hell, I even liked Alien 3.

That machinegun bugs me. The whole thing with a machinegun is that when you're getting shot at you drop prone, then return fire. You don't just stand there and shoot from the hip, and that whole rig looks like it would be really hard to use lying down.

One way I can rationalize this is to think that these Marines haven't been in a real war in decades, they've only been in "bug hunts" where they didn't have to deal with someone who shoots back.

So, I actually own a copy of the "Colonial Marines Technical Manual" that was mentioned earlier in the thread, and the future is way dumber than you could possibly imagine lol (I am impressed someone took a moment to think about "Oh gently caress how do they fire it laying down?" for the book though).

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

alien 3 director's cut is a really different film. they change the pacing considerably, really focus on the religion of the prisoners, and change the origin of the alien (comes from a different animal).

they also IIRC add a scene where they actually capture the alien in a smelting vat, but one of the batshit crazy prisoners releases it because he thinks it's a living god.

also good parts from aliens director's cut:

- adding the scene back in where ripley learns about her daughter's death

aliens is one of the best movies I've ever seen. it's a completely different movie from alien and is the prototypical sci fi action movie. probably every scifi action media since then has paid homage to it in some way.

alien 3 is underrated.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Beet Wagon posted:

So, I actually own a copy of the "Colonial Marines Technical Manual" that was mentioned earlier in the thread, and the future is way dumber than you could possibly imagine lol (I am impressed someone took a moment to think about "Oh gently caress how do they fire it laying down?" for the book though).

lmao

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

also im sure this has been posted, but the reason that the first scenes on the ship are so good is because they filmed those scenes last, so the cast had already had time to bond and their interactions were authentic.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

also the full alien 3 newt autopsy scene was so gross and over the top that it made people sick during test screenings and wasn't restored as part of the assembly cut.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I mean I guess getting shot in the dick is better than the head, but eesh.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

also the full alien 3 newt autopsy scene was so gross and over the top that it made people sick during test screenings and wasn't restored as part of the assembly cut.

Lmao holy poo poo, this sounds like a post someone would make on SA for shock value but welp!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

- adding the scene back in where ripley learns about her daughter's death

I don't really care what people say about the pacing but this scene is pretty crucial.

Ripley loses her daughter who was 10 and almost 11 years old while she was gone for 57 years. She finds a motherless and traumatized by aliens (like her) kid who is 9 years old. Almost the same age. So her losing her daughter and basically finding a new one in need is a thing that is happening in the movie.

Just knowing this information really adds more the the relationship between Ripley and Newt.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

the only thing about aliens that didn't make sense is that there were like, what, 20 marines on the ship, and no crew? they aren't even sending a full platoon on the massive, ultra-expensive spaceship?

the small crew made sense in the first movie because they're a cargo ship (big ship, just a maintenance crew) but it didn't make a lot of sense for the second movie.

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 7, 2019

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't really care what people say about the pacing but this scene is pretty crucial.

Ripley loses her daughter who was 10 and almost 11 years old while she was gone for 57 years. She finds a motherless and traumatized by aliens (like her) kid who is 9 years old. Almost the same age. So her losing her daughter and basically finding a new one in need is a thing that is happening in the movie.

Just knowing this information really adds more the the relationship between Ripley and Newt.

it also helps explain how paul reiser was able to basically blackmail her into going to lv-426. with her daughter left all she had was her career, but she lost her pilot's license after they found against her in the competency hearing. then paul reiser rolls in and is like 'look, here's your chance to get back your life after losing everything!'

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

^^I was Reiser posting independent of this heh

Man Paul Reiser plays his part so well, it was cool seeing him return in Stranger Things (I fully expected him to betray everyone at all times)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

the only thing about aliens that didn't make sense is that there were like, what, 20 marines on the ship, and no crew? they aren't even sending a full platoon on the massive, ultra-expensive spaceship?

WT cut the budget and put a handful of Marines into a billion dollar vessel.

They also cut the budget on the food and the cornbread tastes like poo poo.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Absolutely love to blow my own feet off while my machinegun recoils directly into my chin.

In regards to the whole "overconfident but then they got their asses kicked" thing, the entire movie is basically a big story for how loving dumb we were in Vietnam, so yeah. I stopped caring about what is 'canon' a long time ago because the Aliens universe has just been irreparably damaged over and over again, but a lot of the extra materials make it clear the marines are familiar with combat, but in a more conventional sense, and they still aren't familiar with/equipped to deal with asymmetrical warfare. I think in the movie Hudson even asks "Is this gonna be a stand-up fight or just another bug hunt" or something like that, which kinda points to the fact that they don't know what the gently caress they're doing with those.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

the thing about alien 3 is it's trying to thread the needle between the first movie (suspense, horror) and the second movie (action). you have the isolated, underpopulated setting with narrow, dark corridors with the guards/prisoners dynamic who are at least capable of fighting back more than a crew.

it was severely undermined by switching from practical effects to early CGI.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

I hurt. Do me a favor. Disconnect me. I could be reworked, but I’ll never be top of the line again. I’d rather be nothing.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

Absolutely love to blow my own feet off while my machinegun recoils directly into my chin.

In regards to the whole "overconfident but then they got their asses kicked" thing, the entire movie is basically a big story for how loving dumb we were in Vietnam, so yeah. I stopped caring about what is 'canon' a long time ago because the Aliens universe has just been irreparably damaged over and over again, but a lot of the extra materials make it clear the marines are familiar with combat, but in a more conventional sense, and they still aren't familiar with/equipped to deal with asymmetrical warfare. I think in the movie Hudson even asks "Is this gonna be a stand-up fight or just another bug hunt" or something like that, which kinda points to the fact that they don't know what the gently caress they're doing with those.

there's also the fact that they've never encountered aliens before (although it's a little confusing when they're talking about aturians). they thought ripley was full of poo poo, but even after they saw evidence of the firefight between the colonists and the aliens, and confirmation about how ripley described the aliens, they still didn't understand what they were up against.

there's also the implication that nobody (including ripley) realized how intelligent the aliens were. they wern't mindless bugs -- they set an ambush and lured the marines in. everything was also compounded by the incompetent lt. who had never experience combat.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Beet Wagon posted:

In regards to the whole "overconfident but then they got their asses kicked" thing, the entire movie is basically a big story for how loving dumb we were in Vietnam, so yeah.

They actually got into this pretty early in the documentary I posted earlier. It wasn't a HUGE thing regarding the story, some elements are pretty obvious and the war ended just over 10 years before the movie, but Vietnam had a lot of influence on the design.

The dropship was basically a combination of the F4 Phantom jet fighter and the AH-1 Cobra helicopter gunship.

Look at the cockpit of the Cobra compared to the dropship.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

the small crew made sense in the first movie because they're a cargo ship (big ship, just a maintenance crew) but it didn't make a lot of sense for the second movie.

It's a bug hunt.

It makes sense that there's no significant military force sent to LV426 imo. The goal of the shady company is to scope out the alien situation and bring back an impregnated guy or two for study. This will be easier if there are fewer people involved. They aren't interested in letting on that anything has gone wrong with the colony by sending a large force, let alone actually destroying all the aliens.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

was that their goal though? at that point they didn't know what the aliens were as ripley's original ship was destroyed and her descriptions of the alien wern't that useful (at least in the context of what's presented in the film). it was only when paul reiser had a chance to investigate the med lab he realized the potential for the aliens as a weapon and came up with a plan to smuggle some samples back in ripley and newt.

it still doesn't make sense that the ship itself had no crew other than the marines.

its a small quibble, but it's always bugged me.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

skasion posted:

It's a bug hunt.

It makes sense that there's no significant military force sent to LV426 imo. The goal of the shady company is to scope out the alien situation and bring back an impregnated guy or two for study. This will be easier if there are fewer people involved. They aren't interested in letting on that anything has gone wrong with the colony by sending a large force, let alone actually destroying all the aliens.

That's a good point. They probably purposefully sent in a small team just so that no one would get back alive or at least fewer people to talk about it. Burk had his orders from the company to bring that thing back, if it existed, and Ripley called him out saying that he could just sabotage a few hypersleep chambers and boom, he's the WT hero.

It was interesting that Ripley spilled the beans during the hearing and they just brushed her off. Then they lose contact with the exact same place she mentioned this horrible creature she described in perfect detail. They wanted it and they'd do anything to get it. Just like when the company first heard about the exact same organism in the original Alien.

Crew expendable.

fake broken thought train edit:

Wait, I just thought of this. Ripley mentions that Burk signed orders to send out Newt's parents specifically to the derelict spaceship to investigate. They probably reported what they saw, sent it to the company, and then maybe they let the colony get wiped out. They "lost contact."

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Aliens is a very good movie. I like it a lot, but it broke the horror aspect of Alien and replaced it with action. I kind of wish Cameron didn't, but he did it in all the right ways. That being said, Alien is a great movie and the superior film.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

there's also the fact that they've never encountered aliens before (although it's a little confusing when they're talking about aturians). they thought ripley was full of poo poo, but even after they saw evidence of the firefight between the colonists and the aliens, and confirmation about how ripley described the aliens, they still didn't understand what they were up against.

there's also the implication that nobody (including ripley) realized how intelligent the aliens were. they wern't mindless bugs -- they set an ambush and lured the marines in. everything was also compounded by the incompetent lt. who had never experience combat.

Yeah that's true.The movie makes it pretty clear that these guys have done bug hunts before, but that they were probably walkovers, and nobody was expecting to face any serious resistance (if they were gonna face resistance at all - at one point they joke about a dumb colonist turning off the beacon or something).

For reference, the insignia on the Cheyenne dropship they use is "Bugstomper"

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

yea but if they knew what to expect, why was paul resier still so surprised when they actually got into the colony? I think the logic goes:

send team to investigate -> colony goes dark -> send in a team to investigate what happened with a company representative

even if you buy that paul reiser was the only one on the expedition who knew what was happening, it doesn't explain his surprise when they get into the colony.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

yea but if they knew what to expect, why was paul resier still so surprised when they actually got into the colony? I think the logic goes:

send team to investigate -> colony goes dark -> send in a team to investigate what happened with a company representative

even if you buy that paul reiser was the only one on the expedition who knew what was happening, it doesn't explain his surprise when they get into the colony.

Yeah they still didn't know exactly what was going on, but they probably looked at the old data, compared it to what Ripley said and thought, "Welp, let's send a team and figure what this really is and if Ripley was telling the truth."

They didn't know EXACTLY what to expect, but they had an idea. Burk was also expendable.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

the other thing is, why is ripley all pissed that burke sent a team? like, what the gently caress was he/the company supposed to do? its actually better to investigate her claims (and then possibly have the chance of reversing the decision to suspend her starship license because they confirm what she says) vs. just going 'oh well there's nothing there! better not look into it!'

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Well, Burke forwards the colony the coordinates from Ripley's testimony. So it's entirely possible he was doing it on a whim, assuming she was wrong or lying, since it doesn't cost him anything to send some colonists out to look. It's totally possible for him to have believed her story enough to want to try and capitalize on it but not really understand what he was dealing with.

It's also possible that the Marines only deigned to give WT a small team, since as far as everyone else is concerned they're just investigating a downed transmitter beacon on some backwater colony, and even if it is a problem, they're used to winning every fight they get into.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Owns

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

But seriously is there a worse name than Spunkmeyer?

Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

the other thing is, why is ripley all pissed that burke sent a team? like, what the gently caress was he/the company supposed to do? its actually better to investigate her claims (and then possibly have the chance of reversing the decision to suspend her starship license because they confirm what she says) vs. just going 'oh well there's nothing there! better not look into it!'

Settle down Paul Reiser