Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

DalaranJ posted:

None of these pledge levels are actually for the animated shorts right? It’s just all exclusive branded merchandise?
I think everyone gets to watch the stuff, with backers getting first dibs, if I read the FAQ right.

quote:

Where can I watch The Legend of Vox Machina?
ALL Kickstarter backers will be the first to watch the animated special, but we're considering a bunch of different possibilities right now after our backers have had a chance to watch our special. We'll be sure to keep everyone posted along the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The FAQ says that backers of all levels will be the first to see the shorts, they may not be planning to monetize them.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Arc Dream is kickstarting a card game called Wrestlenomicon:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/wrestlenomicon

It's about great old ones wrassling for dominance and features cards like

quote:

Wrestlenomicon was conceived in the stinking mists of pre-history by DENNIS DETWILLER and SHANE IVEY, the creative team from such award-winning Cthulhu Mythos works as Delta Green and The Unspeakable Oath. Shane Ivey has managed Arc Dream Publishing for more than 15 years and, back in the day, helped produce boardgames for Avalanche Press. Dennis Detwiller conceived and wrote the best-selling video game [PROTOTYPE] for Radical Entertainment and Activision, produced high-profile mobile games for Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, and still collects bloated royalty checks for cards he illustrated for Magic: The Gathering.

Dennis and Shane tinkered with Wrestlenomicon for many years before they stumbled across the key to making it perfect: Get ROB HEINSOO to do it! Rob has designed tons of successful card, board, role-playing, and miniatures games. He instantly got what Dennis and Shane were going for in Wrestlenomicon, and instantly threw out all their nonsense and made a brilliant game from scratch. The rules developed by Rob's team at Fire Opal Games brought Wrestlenomicon's fun attacks and combos to life, making them easy to play but charged with interesting tactical options.

$20 for a copy of the game, which is fun and has cool art.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

New game from the guy who made Flow of History. Not sure if it's good, but I like Flow quite a bit for what it does.

Dragon's Interest - Deluxified™ Edition, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelmindes/dragons-interest-deluxifiedtm-edition

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Back in the dawn of the Traveller era, GDW put out a quarterly magazine with in-setting news, and whole bunch of fluff and crunch. That was the Journal of the TRaveller's Aid Society. Mongoose, holders of the current (ly only) Traveller RPG license will soon be launching a Kickstarter to reprint the best of the JTAS material.

They're going tall and wide. It's a three volume set with a slipcover. They've tracked down fanzine publishers and are incorporating their material into additional volumes. They're re-doing the maps and other graphics.

This is how you do a reprint Kickstarter. High physical quality. Curated content updated to modern rules. New interior graphics. Extra stuff that was hard to find back in the day. Old school third-party content creators included. It's an easy pledge to make.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I hate to be a naysayer here but "high physical quality" and "Mongoose" have never been especially consistent partners.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Or editing. Graphic design. Anything, really. Even their fancy high-end stuff, like deluxe Drinax 2e, has loving shocking cock-ups in early, extremely obvious sections.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
I'm on the fence about getting The Pursuit of Happiness + expansions. Seems like decent value for money if you go all in. Game looks like thematic fun, but there's very little interaction. Anyone tried it?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/241478362/the-pursuit-of-happiness-experiences/

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Warthur posted:

I hate to be a naysayer here but "high physical quality" and "Mongoose" have never been especially consistent partners.

hey, can't be worse than Paranoia right?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

ElNarez posted:

hey, can't be worse than Paranoia right?
Agreed, given that I am fairly sure that Matt Sprange would rather chew his own arm off than hire James Wallis to do another project, and James Wallis has reportedly adopted entire strategies to avoid talking to Matt Sprange.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

Agreed, given that I am fairly sure that Matt Sprange would rather chew his own arm off than hire James Wallis to do another project, and James Wallis has reportedly adopted entire strategies to avoid talking to Matt Sprange.

What happened there? I haven't paid attention since XP.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Graphic design.

I see you're new to the Traveller experience.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

What happened there? I haven't paid attention since XP.

Short version:
- Project is massively delayed due to Wallis simply failing to deliver on text. (There is an entire supplement he was on the hook to do for Mongoose where they've basically said "If he actually delivers us text, we'll produce it, but we expect that nothing coming is at this point.")

- Executive meddling messes with game design, putting unwanted constraints on developer team. There's a card-based initiative system which could work just as well without the cards just by rolling D10s and bluffing. "Terrorist" is used instead of "Commie" because "Terrorist" was the scareword du jour at the start of the project, despite the fact that a) by the time the game delivered that had become "Immigrant" and b) the increasing anachronism of "Commie" is *part of the joke* at this point.

- Actual delivered product kind of horrible in terms of production values, artwork in particular is terrible.

- Also incomplete if you didn't get the Kickstarter version which includes the booklet that actually describes the setting - and which the sample adventure explicitly refers to, so it 100% definitely was supposed to be in the core set. It's sold as a separate PDF.

I went into absurd levels of detail in a blog article a while back.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Or editing. Graphic design. Anything, really. Even their fancy high-end stuff, like deluxe Drinax 2e, has loving shocking cock-ups in early, extremely obvious sections.
Mongoose has always been of the opinion that nobody bought or didn't buy a game because of its editing, index, or proofreading, so why bother putting time and resources into those things?

They're still in business more than a decade after most of the other D20 shovelware companies disappeared, so I can't say they're entirely wrong.

quote:

It takes some real effort to make a Paranoia edition less appealing that 5E, but Wallis and Mongoose managed to do just that.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 6, 2019

Warthur
May 2, 2004

FMguru posted:

Mongoose has always been of the opinion that nobody bought or didn't buy a game because of its editing, index, or proofreading, so why bother putting time and resources into those things?

They're still in business more than a decade after most of the other D20 shovelware companies disappeared, so I can't say they're entirely wrong.
What Sprange misses, of course, is that whilst it's perhaps true that nobody ever bought a game because they were really excited about the high quality of all of that, plenty of people have been scared off games because of the poor quality of the same.

I genuinely believe that Cyberpunk v3 would have sold something like double or triple what it did if it weren't for the infamous doll art.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

FMguru posted:

It takes some real effort to make a Paranoia edition less appealing that 5E, but Wallis and Mongoose managed to do just that.
It's kind of a shame that Grant Howitt got caught up in it, because a) it feels like it was a waste of his talents and b) he'd have probably done a better job as project lead instead of second banana. Heck, Goblin Quest is basically a super-rules-light reskin of Paranoia and it works just fine.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

grassy gnoll posted:

I see you're new to the Traveller experience.

To be fair, that was good design in the eighties.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

There's a certain iconic simplicity to it. And if gamers were more willing these days to buy products with dirt-simple layout and almost no art, you'd get less small publishers bankrupting themselves chasing top-quality production values.

Either way, I note from the writeup on Mongoose's website that they're redoing the layout and art on all their reprinted JTAS stuff which makes it an instant pass for me. In principle, an updated presentation would be worth it, in practice Mongoose are not a safe pair of hands to do the job.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Warthur posted:

I genuinely believe that Cyberpunk v3 would have sold something like double or triple what it did if it weren't for the infamous doll art.

One of my friends read through v3 recently and his overall assessment was that it was a game with a setting and approach to cyberpunk that was radical and full of genuinely interesting, creative, and unique ideas about (gameable) future societies. By his account, it was underrated.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Wavelength is in it's final 48 hours. It's a team-based party game with a few similarities to codenames or games of that ilk, but instead of words, your team is trying to guess the correct position of a dial. The designers have also designed Monikers and The Mind.

Similar to a spymaster, there's only one person (the 'psychic') who knows exactly where the dial needs to be positioned, and who's job it is to steer their team in the right direction. To do this, they draw a card with two opposites on it, e.g. hot/cold, which is what the dial represents for that turn (turn it all the way left for extremely hot, all the way right for extremely cold, somewhere in the middle for lukewarm, etc). The psychic then has to give a clue that will hint at how far their team should turn the dial, e.g. "Coffee" if the dial needs to go on the hotter side but not too far over.

The twist is that after they give the clue and their team starts to discuss "how hot is coffee?" or whatever, the other team gets to chime in as well and try to ask questions and say things that will trip them up ("coffee isn't that hot compared to something like lava"). They don't know the correct position of the dial either, so it's less about purposefully trying to mislead your opponents as it is about muddying the waters and making it harder for them to reach consensus. In that way, it encourages some of that friendly smack talk, and everyone gets to participate and have a stake in the big reveal.

Points are earned based on how close you are to the target. You don't have to be exactly on the dot and can still earn points if you're somewhat close, which is nice. The opposing team can also earn a point if they guess whether the actual target is to the left or right of where the other team set the dial.

All in all it looks like a really awesome game that takes inspiration from games like codenames but replaces some of the more unfun parts with more player interaction and general shenanigans. They've got a cooperative mode as well for 2-5 players.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Warthur posted:

I googled this and holy poo poo - they'd have been better off with blank space.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

moths posted:

I googled this and holy poo poo - they'd have been better off with blank space.

Jesus, I thought the doll art was just hyperbole.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Warthur posted:

I feel like worth noting in all this is that Mongoose did run the kickstarter for the Paranoia expansion a lot smoother, so much so that they were able to give away the PDF of one of the three books in the boxset for free in order to promote it. Also worth noting: that book is poo poo. There's a part of it that's a Paranoia-themed Goofus and Gallant comic, except done by the current artists of the Paranoia line, so it looks like this:

The rest is barely better, there's a quite ghoulish mini-game where players use bingo cards to diagnose disorders in other players, a way too complex insurance plan system, too many rules for too many fake medicines, rules to create robots, and a barely digestible blend of player advice, tables and strained jokes to top it all off.

If you wanna see what Paranoia can look like when not handled by Mongoose, the recent French edition by Sans-Détour (of not paying royalties for Call of Cthulhu since 2016 fame) looks like this, and it's probably why I think all in all the new edition is pretty good for what it is:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Warthur posted:

Short version:
- Project is massively delayed due to Wallis simply failing to deliver on text. (There is an entire supplement he was on the hook to do for Mongoose where they've basically said "If he actually delivers us text, we'll produce it, but we expect that nothing coming is at this point.")

- Executive meddling messes with game design, putting unwanted constraints on developer team. There's a card-based initiative system which could work just as well without the cards just by rolling D10s and bluffing. "Terrorist" is used instead of "Commie" because "Terrorist" was the scareword du jour at the start of the project, despite the fact that a) by the time the game delivered that had become "Immigrant" and b) the increasing anachronism of "Commie" is *part of the joke* at this point.

- Actual delivered product kind of horrible in terms of production values, artwork in particular is terrible.

- Also incomplete if you didn't get the Kickstarter version which includes the booklet that actually describes the setting - and which the sample adventure explicitly refers to, so it 100% definitely was supposed to be in the core set. It's sold as a separate PDF.

Good article.

Also I remember backing out of my pledge on Paranoia. I feel like I dodged a bullet.

From the start it was like, "wait, that is neither funny nor Paranoia."

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

ElNarez posted:

If you wanna see what Paranoia can look like when not handled by Mongoose, the recent French edition by Sans-Détour (of not paying royalties for Call of Cthulhu since 2016 fame) looks like this,

Would this be the best way for someone new to Paranoia to get into it?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hollandia posted:

Serious answer: pick up the Second Edition core rulebook PDF for $8 from DTRPG

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/255061/Paranoia-Second-Edition

It's from 1987 but IMHO it's the best version of the game, and it is complete in one book.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Doctor Zero posted:

It was absolutely not.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
XP is also a great version of Paranoia and it may be easier to find.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Hollandia posted:

Your actual best bet is still XP/Service Pack 1/Troubleshooters (The third one basically being the final version of that ruleset, released for Paranoia's 25th anniversary alongside IntSec and High Programmer rulebooks). But, if you speak French, and are able to roll with a system that kinda requires you to make the premise your own, and which provides some light rules with which you can roll dice and make poo poo up, I'd say it's as good as the new edition of Paranoia is gonna get.

e: pretty much every worthwhile bit of Old Paranoia is available in PDF on Drivethru

ElNarez fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 6, 2019

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

As someone who's done both, I'd go with XP edition with Traitor's Manual, the Service Group book, and 2e's DOA Sector Travelogue. That's pretty much everything you need setting-wise.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It was absolutely not.

It's distinctive, which has really helped it age well.

They could have done much worse.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Hey folks! I'm winding up to launch my next PbtA RPG Kickstarter next Tuesday, and I was wondering if anyone here would like to glance over it. The game's Mysthea: Legends From the Borderlands.

It's set in a fantasy world full of crystal-infused magic and dominated by two clashing empires. Players control a loose group of guilds sent to a city newly claimed by their parent kingdom, with the initial mission to rebuild it and turn it into a profitable asset for the kingdom. But as years pass by and they get to know the city and its people, they'll have to decide if they want to fight for its independence instead - or even use its particular resources to turn the tables on their masters ruling the kingdom.

It's basically an adaptation of the ideas in Legacy: Life Among the Ruins to tell a more zoomed-in story of politics, rebuilding and exploration, and though there's a lot of Legacy DNA in there we're also drawing on Urban Shadows, The Quiet Year, Dragon Age 2 and strategy board games like Scythe and, well, the original Mysthea board game.

You can check out the Kickstarter preview here. It's missing a video, and a quickstart you can download, but it should give you a good idea of what you're doing here :D

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

It was absolutely not.

Black and Red, and simple? Sure it was. Compared to the glut of games with fairly bad art on the cover it really stood out. Unless you are saying that it wasn’t common design, correct, it wasn’t. Almost every other RPG looked like the cover of Dungeons and Dragons or Warhammer. You may not like it, I can’t argue that, but it was a stark standout to everything else, and it caught your attention. Therefore, it’s good design. Hell, the 80s were built on black, red, white, and chrome, so it absolutely fit the times.

R Talsorian even cribbed the look to look “futuristic” IMO.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Black and Red, and simple? Sure it was. Compared to the glut of games with fairly bad art on the cover it really stood out. Unless you are saying that it wasn’t common design, correct, it wasn’t. Almost every other RPG looked like the cover of Dungeons and Dragons or Warhammer. You may not like it, I can’t argue that, but it was a stark standout to everything else, and it caught your attention. Therefore, it’s good design. Hell, the 80s were built on black, red, white, and chrome, so it absolutely fit the times.

R Talsorian even cribbed the look to look “futuristic” IMO.

Also worth noting that the trade dress of classic Traveller's LBBs wasn't cutting edge design for the 1980s... it was cutting edge for the 1970s, and if you put the books next to more or less any RPG that came out in that decade with the possible exception of RuneQuest the difference is palpable.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Warthur posted:

Also worth noting that the trade dress of classic Traveller's LBBs wasn't cutting edge design for the 1980s... it was cutting edge for the 1970s, and if you put the books next to more or less any RPG that came out in that decade with the possible exception of RuneQuest the difference is palpable.

Yeah, that’s a fair cop. Traveler came out originally late 70s but I was thinking the hardcover editions that came out a little later.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Flavivirus posted:

Hey folks! I'm winding up to launch my next PbtA RPG Kickstarter next Tuesday, and I was wondering if anyone here would like to glance over it. The game's Mysthea: Legends From the Borderlands.

You can check out the Kickstarter preview here. It's missing a video, and a quickstart you can download, but it should give you a good idea of what you're doing here :D

I'm definitely interested as I've backed the two recent Legacy Kickstarters, but the price point is a bit rough - 35 pound (or roughly 45 bucks currently) is a tough ask for an PbtA RPG book these days, even a full-size 8.5 x 11 book. I paid 30 pound for Legacy 2nd but that came with a ton of additional PDF content, essentially 7 extra books alongside the print copy so that helped ease that price point a bit. The Quickstart might generate some more excitement after I've had a chance to look at it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Doctor Zero posted:

Black and Red, and simple? Sure it was. Compared to the glut of games with fairly bad art on the cover it really stood out.

Guess we're going to have to disagree, because having no design is not better than having bad design IMO. Traveller is the laziest poo poo imaginable, compare it to the awesome cover for Mercenaries, Spies, and Private Eyes (1986)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

djfooboo posted:

New game from the guy who made Flow of History. Not sure if it's good, but I like Flow quite a bit for what it does.

Dragon's Interest - Deluxified™ Edition, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelmindes/dragons-interest-deluxifiedtm-edition

Ponzi scheme is also pretty good, so this has promise.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Guess we're going to have to disagree, because having no design is not better than having bad design IMO. Traveller is the laziest poo poo imaginable, compare it to the awesome cover for Mercenaries, Spies, and Private Eyes (1986)

By the time that came out classic Traveller was being sold in the form of Starter Traveller or the Traveller Book, which both had nice cover art. You're talking a literal difference of a decade in the development of the RPG industry.

If you think the original Traveller LBBs had no design, you are flat-out wrong - by definition that uniform look to them constitutes a distinctive trade dress. If you want to look for products with no design chops at all, look at the various amateur D&D knockoffs that constituted most of the rest of the market at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Memnaelar posted:

I'm definitely interested as I've backed the two recent Legacy Kickstarters, but the price point is a bit rough - 35 pound (or roughly 45 bucks currently) is a tough ask for an PbtA RPG book these days, even a full-size 8.5 x 11 book. I paid 30 pound for Legacy 2nd but that came with a ton of additional PDF content, essentially 7 extra books alongside the print copy so that helped ease that price point a bit. The Quickstart might generate some more excitement after I've had a chance to look at it.

lol get out