Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
It just occurred to me: will the monster eventually go after Reynard, only to find that whatever piece of Reynard he needs is actually in Julia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

...bye....

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I got the same sense of dread I felt when I watched the nuclear playground scene in Terminator 2 with the last part of this episode

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lupus Rufus posted:

It just occurred to me: will the monster eventually go after Reynard, only to find that whatever piece of Reynard he needs is actually in Julia?

I don't think so. I think that Reynard was more of a minor god. In the books its mentioned that he was local to a rural part of France. Not that this plot is in the books at all, we're in all new territory. But I would also think that he would have sensed it in her by now.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
I think it's pretty obvious the Monster is Prometheus, but instead of fire he brought magic to mankind, and thus was imprisoned for eternity.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
Uh didn't we already meet Prometheus?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

ubachung posted:

Uh didn't we already meet Prometheus?

Only in a flashback.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mycomancy posted:

I think it's pretty obvious the Monster is Prometheus, but instead of fire he brought magic to mankind, and thus was imprisoned for eternity.

If that's the case, then Julia's probably turning into another creature too.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Cool episode. Not sure about spoiler rules so soon after airing, so my thoughts on the latest episode:

I'm thinking Alice is going to get pretty involved in an anti-library resistance movement now. Maybe Kady is already involved in that since she's been off the radar for a while.

Is our Penny working to bring that about from within the library?

Not too sure where the Fillory story line is going, it all seems a bit pointless besides a bit of character development for Josh and Margo

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I watched all of this show over the past few weeks, and caught up last night. I'm kind of shocked that I wasn't watching this as it was airing before, because it's easily one of my favorite shows now. It doesn't get enough attention for how well it balances multiple genres at once, and how enjoyable its characters are.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This is gonna be a weird request but can anyone id the music that plays over the last scene with Alice? It's hauntingly beautiful.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lupus Rufus posted:

I want the monster to go after Hades by pulling a Terminator police chase scene in the Library.

mycomancy posted:

I doubt it. Baccarus knew about him, and was definitely not afraid of him.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 28, 2019

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Monster will probably be Kronos or equivalent. Gods took his poo poo and imprisoned him in Tartarus.

Or Uranus looking for his missing dick.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Nichael posted:

I watched all of this show over the past few weeks, and caught up last night. I'm kind of shocked that I wasn't watching this as it was airing before, because it's easily one of my favorite shows now. It doesn't get enough attention for how well it balances multiple genres at once, and how enjoyable its characters are.

I have been trying to get people to watch this show for loving ever, and knowing that someone else is just catching up is super, super rad.

The last episode was loving fire. I wasn't as done with Alice as most people seem to be, but Antifa Alice is a plotline I am 100% for and am extremely extremely ready to see.

I also want to point out how excellent the moment was when Margo got upset about being compared to Eliot. I think a lesser show would have ran with that, but Margo is such a complex badass and she's written so loving well that, even without having it over explained, I immediately understood what she was feeling. So loving good.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais posted:

Monster will probably be Kronos or equivalent. Gods took his poo poo and imprisoned him in Tartarus.

I have a bad feeling Penny 23 is meant to sacrifice himself to do some time travel thing. Which would make double sense if it's Kronos.

ThePagey posted:

Antifa Alice

It's amazing how people see political ideology in anything like a Rorschach test

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'm hoping that he is some being we know of but wouldn't immediately associate with a homicidal villain, like Cupid.

Though I figure that since they're bringing up Egyptian stuff about a dismembered god and didn't jump straight to Osiris/Horus they'll use that as a red herring later in the season.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

ThePagey posted:

I have been trying to get people to watch this show for loving ever, and knowing that someone else is just catching up is super, super rad.

The last episode was loving fire. I wasn't as done with Alice as most people seem to be, but Antifa Alice is a plotline I am 100% for and am extremely extremely ready to see.

I also want to point out how excellent the moment was when Margo got upset about being compared to Eliot. I think a lesser show would have ran with that, but Margo is such a complex badass and she's written so loving well that, even without having it over explained, I immediately understood what she was feeling. So loving good.

This show definitely fills my True Blood void, while being much smarter than True Blood ever was.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nichael posted:

being much smarter than True Blood ever was.

Isn't that like comparing the clever kid in the class to the one who has brain damage from playing football without a helmet?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Rhyno posted:

This is gonna be a weird request but can anyone id the music that plays over the last scene with Alice? It's hauntingly beautiful.

It's not listed yet but this website usually has people list each song per episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Awesome, I hope it goes up. I tried shazaming it 10 times and got 10 different results!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Awesome, I hope it goes up. I tried shazaming it 10 times and got 10 different results!

It's original score, so it won't turn up unless they release a soundtrack, or the composer decides to release stuff on soundcloud.

And Will Bates, the composer, apparently isn't interested in even showing off promo tracks on his website.

http://www.fallonyoursword.com/work/#lg=1&slide=10

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 2, 2019

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Blazing Ownager posted:

Isn't that like comparing the clever kid in the class to the one who has brain damage from playing football without a helmet?

Yes, but I loved my brain damaged vampire show.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's original score, so it won't turn up unless they release a soundtrack, or the composer decides to release stuff on soundcloud.

And Will Bates, the composer, apparently isn't interested in even showing off promo tracks on his website.

http://www.fallonyoursword.com/work/#lg=1&slide=10
It's really disappointing there's no soundtrack for the score, but I love the piece show uses when the main gang is figuring out something.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's amazing how people see political ideology in anything like a Rorschach test

I mean the Library are magic fascists who control all of the resources and immediately imprison anyone who fucks with their rule. Alice making moves to get poo poo blown the gently caress up is pretty decidedly an anti-fascist move.

Beyond that, I'm really surprised we've gone so many episodes without Kady. I know the show hasn't always had all of the characters together, and Kady's taken a backseat more than others (besides Josh), but every time things seem weird this season they end up paying off in huge, unexpected, and totally loving rad ways, so I'm excited for next episode.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Alice has plenty of motivation to hate the library, but I think the more interesting character arc for her would be to be horrified that her little stunt got her new friend in trouble and got a library blown up, like even when she's doing what she thinks is a minor thing and for the right reasons yet again Magic results in awful things happening. It wouldn't surprise me to see her do some self-destructive behavior or go after the hedges that blew up the library, rather than say joining the hedge cause and trying to break the system.

Remember all she was trying to do was make a bit more magic available to make clean water for everybody, her response to all the drama that's resulted from it could go in a lot of different directions. We've seen her in a state of super depression not all that long ago after coming back from niffin-hood, so I don't think they go to that well again necessarily, but she's kind of been through so much poo poo lately that it wouldn't exactly be shocking to see her spiral downward especially since her entire support network wants nothing to do with her.

Kady being a rebel leader against the library and trying to recruit Alice could be interesting, that's kind of where I see it loosely going.

With some big status quo changes coming at the end of the last few seasons, seems like the expected thing would be to see the Library lose control of magic, or some new god-level threat takes down the Library and magic is unregulated again but now they gotta deal with that new bad guy next season. Probably a bad girl actually, we're due for a properly villainous female antagonist on this show.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 3, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ThePagey posted:

Alice making moves to get poo poo blown the gently caress up is pretty decidedly an anti-fascist move.

Alice had no idea that anything would be blown up. In fact she has done nothing to indicate that she wants to destroy the library, only that she wants to hide from them.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Alhazred posted:

Alice had no idea that anything would be blown up. In fact she has done nothing to indicate that she wants to destroy the library, only that she wants to hide from them.

If the library does something disproportionate to her friend I feel like Alice would be extremely angry, especially considering the joy the act of kindness clearly brought her. I could easily see the two that blew up the library directing her anger to violent resistance against the library.

There's also a clip in the season trailer that strongly indicates Alice becomes involved in the anti library resistance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUuU0CNI-Tk&t=62

As for Kady, it would be completely in character for her to be part of the resistance already, so she might also recruit Alice.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, Kady has the hedge connections and plenty of reason to hate the library to end up in the resistance.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Edit wrong thread

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Kady’s probably involved in the Resistance already and upon encountering Alice would be like “she’s probably a loving spy for the Library, don’t trust her.”

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is a weirdly meta episode.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I noticed that they're doing a lot of variations on the name McCallister (as in the rich family controlling the flow of magic). First, it was Callister Brewing Company. Now Callister Crawley's ashes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Nihonniboku posted:

I noticed that they're doing a lot of variations on the name McCallister (as in the rich family controlling the flow of magic). First, it was Callister Brewing Company. Now Callister Crawley's ashes.

I wasn’t watching with subtitles but are you sure they didn’t say Aleister Crowley?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleister_Crowley

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I wasn’t watching with subtitles but are you sure they didn’t say Aleister Crowley?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleister_Crowley

Good catch!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, now it's Fen's time to shine!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Oh i'll loving fry this lizard!"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Man I could go with the rest of the season ignoring q, Eliot and Julia. The rest of the cast is way more fun

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Actually can every episode just be Fen-centric? She's the fuckin' break-out.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

XboxPants posted:

Actually can every episode just be Fen-centric? She's the fuckin' break-out.

Her boyfriend looks like a total goon too.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Maybe its just that we've spent more time with OG Penny than Penny-23, but I'm really enjoying having him back, and hopefully he will continue to appear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That fuckin cliffhanger.