Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Tactical murder pen with emergency writing capability

Break things, easy and fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Also I bought a bunch of <1$ stuff so in about 38 days I can make an exciting diy project

if everything arrives, fingers crossed

ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
I have over 100 Ali items bookmarked but I've only ever bought one thing (the Death Grips shirt)

Glass candies

Extra rear end princess bedding

Rocket bag plus some other gaudy decorative clutches

Glitter clutch, another bag that wouldn't hold 1/10th of what I carry but c'mon

sticky-hand bug things to take all the fun out of dropping $100 at Dave and Busters

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

gonna put these at my office desk to own my coworkers

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Killingyouguy! posted:

gonna put these at my office desk to own my coworkers

Find some glass lozenges and put wrappers on them to own the poo poo out of their teeth

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Snowy posted:

Find some glass lozenges and put wrappers on them to own the poo poo out of their teeth

i suppose that plan would be better, huh

yek_no_mpoysp
Mar 6, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I buy throughhole and smd components from Ali.

They also sell ok quality 3d printer filament.

Check out this nifty slipring for a lidar kit:
http://lnky.us/gbsaliexpress

Those glass candies are super evil. I love it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Did you guys not have grandmas? I feel like those glass candies were required for anyone over 50 in the '90s

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

Did you guys not have grandmas? I feel like those glass candies were required for anyone over 50 in the '90s

What kind of hosed up grandma did you have?? Mine had real candy in the bowl. It was probably as old as she was, but still.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
So sunglasses on Aliexpress: They are good.

Out of all the glasses I tested to be real-deal UV protecting 100% of them passed. That includes these of various colors and these in various colors as well.

That's a total of 8 pairs of sunglasses we've bought. They look good too, and while not as overall nice as our Ray Bans we've also only paid an average of around 6 dollars for each pair vs. $140. Ray Bans are not nice enough to make up that price gulf, not even close.

Plus you can't get purple polarized in silver frames from Ray Bans :colbert:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thanks dawg, two pairs ordered 👊🏻

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

flashy_mcflash posted:

What kind of hosed up grandma did you have?? Mine had real candy in the bowl. It was probably as old as she was, but still.
They don't look even remotely like real candy, they weren't for sadistic games with two-year-olds. They would be lined up along a mantel or something

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

KakerMix posted:

Out of all the glasses I tested to be real-deal UV protecting 100% of them passed. That includes these of various colors and these in various colors as well.

That's a total of 8 pairs of sunglasses we've bought. They look good too, and while not as overall nice as our Ray Bans we've also only paid an average of around 6 dollars for each pair vs. $140. Ray Bans are not nice enough to make up that price gulf, not even close.

Nice,, good work!
Gonna buy a bunch

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

yek_no_mpoysp posted:

I buy throughhole and smd components from Ali.

They also sell ok quality 3d printer filament.

Check out this nifty slipring for a lidar kit:
http://lnky.us/gbsaliexpress

Those glass candies are super evil. I love it.

After seeing the sketchy pla filament that came with my Tevo printer, I've never really wanted to try the Ali stuff. Is it really okay?

yek_no_mpoysp
Mar 6, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Rad-daddio posted:

After seeing the sketchy pla filament that came with my Tevo printer, I've never really wanted to try the Ali stuff. Is it really okay?

If youre doing super low quality prints for fit testing and quick protos its fine. Im sure its outgassing all the shenzen radioactive fumes into my living area, but at least i can print a housing for a cat toy prototype quickly.

:toxogond:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

flashy_mcflash posted:

What kinda hosed up hosed up grandma did you have?? Mine had Worthers Originals and Candy Corn in the bowl. It was probably as old as she was, but still.

yek_no_mpoysp
Mar 6, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

KirbyKhan posted:

What kinda hosed up hosed up grandma did you have?? Mine had Worthers Originals and Candy Corn in the bowl. It was probably as old as she was, but still.

You had candy? I just had a bowl full of grandmas. They were probably as old as god was, but still.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Snake oil clam boil

Ask me how bivalves

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

KakerMix posted:

drat, thanks for doing the leg work on that, that’s some birthday presents sorted.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Can confirm.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Has anybody here had luck winning the freebies? Are there ways to improve your chances?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Do they still even do freebies?

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.

Kerbtree posted:

Do they still even do freebies?

Yes. Why would have I asked, if they didn't?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

diabeetz posted:

Glitter clutch, another bag that wouldn't hold 1/10th of what I carry but c'mon

Answering the question "How do I look stylish, whilst showing everyone what brand of tampon I use?"

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Black Feather posted:

Yes. Why would have I asked, if they didn't?
It seems like you are more likely to win if you have ordered from the store in the past.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

KirbyKhan posted:

My grandma had lots of biscuit tins around the house which always got my hopes up. But then they were full of sewing and craft stuff. No wonder I have trust issues.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SEX BURRITO posted:

My grandma had lots of biscuit tins around the house which always got my hopes up. But then they were full of sewing and craft stuff. No wonder I have trust issues.

My grandma kept her sewing supplies in a sewing kit. Guess she was a LIFE HACKER.

e: I just realized I keep my sewing supplies in an old tea tin and record player supplies in the sewing kit. Now I feel ashamed.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Mine gave me ribbon candy, something which I think can only be sold to grandmas.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32851...vQ1551969033629

I’m really tempted by this. What could go wrong? :supaburn:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Fellow goon, Capntastic, and I have tried to start new slang, "Grandma Candy" for when something is disappointing but still better than nothing. It comes up surprisingly often and is very useful.
"How was the party last night?"
"Oh, ya know, grandma candy. It wasn't really exciting but it beats staying at home watching netflix"

"Is that new beer any good?"
"eh, grandma candy"

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

A seller messaged me overnight to let me know that the two $16 digital fishing line counters that I bought on Sunday morning weren't in stock. Not a huge amount of money, but not a thirty cent kitchen toy either. The seller asked me to extend processing time for 3-4 more days or to cancel the order. I replied politely stating that I still wanted my order, and that it seemed dishonest to sell things that they don't have, and without mentioning it before accepting money. I asked them to refund $10 or to include an extra unit in the order when it ships. The reply a few minutes later was ePacket tracking information.

Definitely don't be a lovely Becky who wants to see the manager, but it's worth calling a seller out if they're being fucky. If nothing else your message history provides a paper trail if you have to file a dispute.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

KakerMix posted:

I've always thought the concern over UV protection was overblown. I honestly can't remember seeing anyone coming back with cheap sunglasses that didn't pass. At this point they're so ubiquitous that using materials that don't have UV protection is probably more expensive and more of a hassle. Thanks for verifying all of those!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

A seller messaged me overnight to let me know that the two $16 digital fishing line counters that I bought on Sunday morning weren't in stock. Not a huge amount of money, but not a thirty cent kitchen toy either. The seller asked me to extend processing time for 3-4 more days or to cancel the order. I replied politely stating that I still wanted my order, and that it seemed dishonest to sell things that they don't have, and without mentioning it before accepting money. I asked them to refund $10 or to include an extra unit in the order when it ships. The reply a few minutes later was ePacket tracking information.

Definitely don't be a lovely Becky who wants to see the manager, but it's worth calling a seller out if they're being fucky. If nothing else your message history provides a paper trail if you have to file a dispute.

I like sellers who ask me to delay opening the dispute until the buyer protection ends.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I've always thought the concern over UV protection was overblown. I honestly can't remember seeing anyone coming back with cheap sunglasses that didn't pass. At this point they're so ubiquitous that using materials that don't have UV protection is probably more expensive and more of a hassle. Thanks for verifying all of those!

the chinese don’t care about returning customers or safety

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Rad-daddio posted:

i bought black and gray rolls of this filament and it's been totally fine for me with my tevo (that i also bought from aliexpress). i bought them on sale for just under $20 though.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CREOZONE-Top-Quality-Brand-3D-Printer-Filament-1-75-1KG-PLA-ABS-Wood-TPU-Plastic-Filament/32830591502.html

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Should I roll the dice on something from AX without any pictures? I have to get revenge on a friend and think that buying his kid a baby shark plush that plays Baby Shark is wholly appropriate.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lord Stimperor posted:

Tactical murder pen with emergency writing capability

Break things, easy and fast

"Emergency Writing" :lol:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
even 15-20 years ago, there was one of those "7 on your side" news segments that tested counterfeit shades for uv protection and they all passed, it's not surprising at all that these are fine

heeheex2 posted:

the chinese don’t care about returning customers or safety

lol

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

flashy_mcflash posted:

Should I roll the dice on something from AX without any pictures? I have to get revenge on a friend and think that buying his kid a baby shark plush that plays Baby Shark is wholly appropriate.

Hell no. I don't even trust a listing without verified photos in the reviews

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

even 15-20 years ago, there was one of those "7 on your side" news segments that tested counterfeit shades for uv protection and they all passed, it's not surprising at all that these are fine

The UV protection is usually inherent to the material the sunglasses are made of, and I guarantee it's cheaper to just run the fourth shift production line at double speed and skip the quality control than to try and find a cheap substitute for the plastic and switch it out every night.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

In related-to-AliExpress news, if you're not buying your prescription glasses from China you're doing it wrong. Go anywhere and get your prescription w/ pupillary distance. A Wal-Mart visit works. It's like $7 for a basic set online, and I once got mirrored sunglasses with all the perks for like $80. Just getting a decent set of glasses used to cost me like $200-$600 - with insurance - at the usual retailers. I use ZenniOptical now. They even have a thing to upload your photo to try on glasses. Plus if the $8 pair don't fit you keep them as a backup set nbd.

Yes nerds who've never worn sunglasses in their lives like I used to be: You can now get a set of prescription sunglasses for like $20 online. They're 100% great.

RandomFerret posted:

I don't even trust a listing without verified photos in the reviews

Sometimes there are common things where this doesn't matter. Like odds are you don't have to worry too much if the pictures for your $1.50 bag of 50 nylon screws is exactly correct, so long as there are reviews to verify the seller exists. For something where you actually care about color, finish, etc- you're taking things into your own hands unless there are customer pictures.