Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Mr. Apollo posted:

It’s also being pushed by businesses as a way to cut back on benefits and salaries. There are several “CEOs for UBI” type groups that say stuff like “it allows for increased flexibility with regards to hiring and compensation” they also encourage increasing the sales tax to pay for UBI since “people will have the money to pay for the increase”.

I've even heard people say things like UBI would let us get rid of the minimum wage because if you're guaranteed not to starve to death, then businesses should be allowed to pay you $2 an hour.

Seriously it's important to remember that like 9/10 people proposing UBI are doing so from the right, because it's a way to get rid of the things they hate about the interventionist state while still allowing people to participate in the market as consumers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The dot com boom is a great demonstration of survivor bias because you get all the Bezos defenders talking about him like he deserves all his billions for being such a visionary and investing in retail but on the internet... as if there weren't a thousand other websites doing the exact same thing and he was just the one lucky enough to survive.

Glad he did, I really like AWS.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Eej posted:

Come on down to BC, where I can renew your insulin prescription forever under my name
I’m in BC. I know that pharmacists can do it, my doctors know this (which is why they give me lovely prescriptions) but the pharmacists tell me to go away and come back with a better script.

I just get my wife to write all my diabetic prescriptions because she isn’t embarrassingly incompetent.

My endo is too lazy to give me a blood req and their office tells me to get one from my primary care physician. What. The. gently caress?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

BC libs: "renting is a wacky fun time! I'm sorry you misunderstood me. what i meant to say is: renting is an amusing and whimsical experience. why are you still mad at me"

USA libs: "how dare you claim AIPAC influences politicians. btw Im proud to announce I'm headlining AIPAC"

UK libs: "thats it corbyn! your antisemitism is too much! we are forming our own party! uh no, we do not have any specific policies or objectives"

Australian libs: "encryption backdoors!"

Canada libs:

quote:

Gerald Butts, the prime minister's former principal secretary, testified before the House of Commons justice committee Wednesday that the former cabinet minister was moved to Veterans Affairs from Justice after refusing to take on the Indigenous Services portfolio, and that the shuffle had nothing to do with her refusal to intervene on the SNC-Lavalin criminal prosecution.

It was concern over maintaining the reconciliation momentum that led Trudeau to move Wilson-Raybould from Justice to Indigenous Services, said Butts.

"[Trudeau] wanted a person in Indigenous Services who would send a strong signal that the work would keep going at the same pace, and that the file would have the same personal prominence for him," he said.

But it was something Wilson-Raybould just couldn't accept.

"She said she had spent her life opposed to the Indian Act and couldn't be in charge of the programs administered under its authority," said Butts.

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond, director of the University of British Columbia's Indian Residential School History and Dialogue Centre, said offering Wilson-Raybould the Indigenous Services portfolio was inappropriate.

"Asking her to administer the Indian Act is not only inappropriate, it is deeply humiliating."

"It would be akin to asking Nelson Mandela to administer apartheid."

the loving state of them! :psyduck:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's the Canadian idea of being considerate: "We hosed up the Indian Act so bad that we're giving it to one of those Indigenous people so we know how to move forwards by getting their input! Aren't we considerate?"

Instead it comes across as "Haha, we hosed you over for hundreds of years, now clean up our mess, k thanks bye."

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Real Change! True Reconciliation!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Incredible timing on this one

https://twitter.com/cbcindigenous/status/1103585244417060864?s=21

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

He does a new historic apology once a month. The Wilson-Raybould scandal has being going for a month.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
We're witnessing, in real time, the entire contents of the glass case in Trudeau's office labeled "break in case of scandal"

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The more I give real thought to UBI the more I realize its the Jordan Peterson of welfare. Its a lovely idea and thinks its way too smart for its own good.

To even get the money to give everyone 30k or whatever would require raising the sales tax to like 90%. Not to mention, not everyone needs UBI. Hell, I'd wager millions of Canadians shouldn't be eligible for any government payments. If you make 80k or whatever a year, its incredibly wasteful for the gov to funnel you an extra 30.

Also, those that truly need welfare help, the disabled or sick or elderly or etc, would be incredibly under served trying to cover their rent, medical payments, food and diet requirements etc on that little money.

We don't need UBI. We need a better welfare/disability system.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

"buttsy" posted:

He then said that would leave a large hole at Indigenous Services, and he didn't want people to think he was relenting at all on the agenda. He said he knows how much she "loves being MOJAG" but that she was one of our top people, and moving her to Indigenous Services would "show Canadians how seriously we take this." He said that "after the election, if we are successful, everything would be fresh again."

Butts' written statement, https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/butts-in-his-words-testimony-1.5045402

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

We're witnessing, in real time, the entire contents of the glass case in Trudeau's office labeled "break in case of scandal"

It's generally not supposed to be this obvious, but lord, the timing on this one is incredible.

Also,

https://twitter.com/CBCQueensPark/status/1103382742539083778

I mean, it's 100% on brand, he showed up to city council less than 50% of the time.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 7, 2019

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

zapplez posted:

The more I give real thought to UBI the more I realize its the Jordan Peterson of welfare. Its a lovely idea and thinks its way too smart for its own good.

To even get the money to give everyone 30k or whatever would require raising the sales tax to like 90%. Not to mention, not everyone needs UBI. Hell, I'd wager millions of Canadians shouldn't be eligible for any government payments. If you make 80k or whatever a year, its incredibly wasteful for the gov to funnel you an extra 30.

Also, those that truly need welfare help, the disabled or sick or elderly or etc, would be incredibly under served trying to cover their rent, medical payments, food and diet requirements etc on that little money.

K.. Sorta but also it would need to be paid via income tax and redistribution sooo your base premise is wrong. Funneling someone 30k if you take it. Back when they make enough other money is neutral

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

If this is true Trudeau is fantastically stupid.

I highly doubt it. Butts is a good liar

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

infernal machines posted:

It's generally not supposed to be this obvious, but lord, the timing on this one is incredible.

Also,

https://twitter.com/CBCQueensPark/status/1103382742539083778

I mean, it's 100% on brand, he showed up to city council less than 50% of the time.

I can only imagine the chaos in the caucus with Ford at the helm just loving poo poo up left and right. In a way it's good because if the party is always cleaning up Doug's messes they can't get up to much else, right?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

dev286 posted:

I can only imagine the chaos in the caucus with Ford at the helm just loving poo poo up left and right. In a way it's good because if the party is always cleaning up Doug's messes they can't get up to much else, right?

Let's just hope that in a few years somebody talks to a journalist or writes some political memoirs that gives us a better idea of what behind-the-scenes power struggling lead to stories like this one.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

If this is true Trudeau is fantastically stupid.

I highly doubt it. Butts is a good liar

Well yeah, I think it's obvious that Butts didn't want to set a precedent of women being able to say no to butts.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

InfiniteZero posted:

Putting mental health and addictions centres together instead of operating separately actually makes sense, but it's not like we don't know that's NOT the reason for the "efficiencies".

The problem is that they aren't combining the two entities, just the administration and decision making. They are pushing the final say for all the regional health authorities and various services into one entity so it's easier to push cuts downward.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/MPCelina/status/1103680760337260545

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

dev286 posted:

Unfortunately the evidence suggests there are still enough hours in the day for them to be craven muppets who manage to run roughshod over the civic infrastructure.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

My god that man is the biggest loving sleazebag weasel in politics

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/PPSC_SPPC/status/1103679348689776640
lol

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

What is the context of this? Why are there no details?

overboard
Aug 26, 2009
I gotta say I’m happy with Trudeau’s response in the sense that this is probably the most honest he’s been. Most people who aren’t Liberal hacks are saying he should have apologized, etc. but that is literally not what he believes so isn’t this better? They’re still going to try to force the DPA, at least now we can easily judge it for what it is.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

overboard posted:

I gotta say I’m happy with Trudeau’s response in the sense that this is probably the most honest he’s been. Most people who aren’t Liberal hacks are saying he should have apologized, etc. but that is literally not what he believes so isn’t this better? They’re still going to try to force the DPA, at least now we can easily judge it for what it is.

:ughh:

How loving naive are you? They literally floated trial balloon stories in the press a few days ago about how Trudeau was "considering" an apology and then obviously concluded based on the response that apologizing now would be about as effective as Butt's letter saying "I did absolutely nothing wrong and that's why I'm resigning."

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Fart Amplifier posted:

What is the context of this? Why are there no details?

She's quoting Trudeau from his sorry not sorry speech this morning

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/justin-trudeau-speaks-about-the-snc-lavalin-scandal-full-transcript/

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

I meant what is the context and details of what she went to Trudeau with and what he said. She's implying that it's really bad, but I don't know what the details are.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

overboard posted:

The Liberals decided that the general public doesn't actually understand what the PMO supposedly did wrong. Plus the emerging expert consensus that, even accepting everything Wilson-Raybould's versions of events, there is an ethics issue, nor a criminal one. Why turn the current confused concern into a simple story by apologizing?

That said, I don't quite get liking what Trudeau said.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't realize the free market meant free from all laws too. I guess it makes sense. Jobs.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

zapplez posted:

Don't forget the base premise of UBI is the removal of things like EI, welfare, and many social assistance programs, (even potentially things like canada pension plan) - when people are guaranteed to earn 30k, they don't need extra assistance because now they have a base level to fall back on for the rest of their lives.

UBI was originally about the simplification of social services - instead of administration of the programs, just give all the people some money directly and they can spend on whatever and the program can be eliminated - that's where the savings were! No need to figure out if someone was eligible since everyone was. Citizenship meant you were taken care of and got a cheque to spend however you wanted - food/rent if times were bad, beer/whatever if times were good.

The crossover into the utopia of UBI was never priced/thought out.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Fart Amplifier posted:

I meant what is the context and details of what she went to Trudeau with and what he said. She's implying that it's really bad, but I don't know what the details are.

Nobody does. She’s been vagueposting for weeks and then posting things like “very interesting that journalists are calling me up to ask me to give details” like, girl.

E: I was thinking of this which in retrospect might actually be aimed at pmo
https://twitter.com/MPCelina/status/1097162261984989187

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 7, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Maneck posted:

The Liberals decided that the general public doesn't actually understand what the PMO supposedly did wrong. Plus the emerging expert consensus that, even accepting everything Wilson-Raybould's versions of events, there is an ethics issue, nor a criminal one. Why turn the current confused concern into a simple story by apologizing?

That said, I don't quite get liking what Trudeau said.

At this level of government that's mostly a distinction without a difference. In fact I'm pretty sure the fact that this isn't illegal pisses people off as much as any other part of this story. This also isn't a defense that is readily available to someone whose entire political brand was based around being a different kind of politician.

unknown posted:

Don't forget the base premise of UBI is the removal of things like EI, welfare, and many social assistance programs, (even potentially things like canada pension plan) - when people are guaranteed to earn 30k, they don't need extra assistance because now they have a base level to fall back on for the rest of their lives.

UBI was originally about the simplification of social services - instead of administration of the programs, just give all the people some money directly and they can spend on whatever and the program can be eliminated - that's where the savings were! No need to figure out if someone was eligible since everyone was. Citizenship meant you were taken care of and got a cheque to spend however you wanted - food/rent if times were bad, beer/whatever if times were good.

The crossover into the utopia of UBI was never priced/thought out.

Around these parts UBI is baby's first leftism for people who think you can solve income inequality without having to deal with the massive amount of exploitation and rent-seeking within the private sphere of the economy.

Try to imagine we had no socialized healthcare in Canada and somebody suggested that instead of government insurance we just give everyone a UBI of $30,000. How dumb (or rich) would you have to be to think the result would be a long term benefit for you? Sometimes the existence of a market in the first place is the problem, and supplementing people's income cannot solve a problem cause by the fundamental inefficiency built into a lot of markets.

overboard
Aug 26, 2009

Helsing posted:

:ughh:

How loving naive are you? They literally floated trial balloon stories in the press a few days ago about how Trudeau was "considering" an apology and then obviously concluded based on the response that apologizing now would be about as effective as Butt's letter saying "I did absolutely nothing wrong and that's why I'm resigning."
No kidding, I posted about it at the time. I’m saying an apology would have been farcical so I’m glad he didn’t go that route. What exactly are you taking issue with?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

xtal posted:

"As predicted" because that has been, from the very beginning, the entire point of UBI? Especially the way that we implemented it in Ontario, which is not a basic income by strict definitions, because it is specifically for people currently on welfare, as a replacement for welfare.

No, the original experiment in Dauphin, Manitoba wasn't part of some welfare reform shell game but a genuine attempt to see what the effects of UBI would be on a locality and if it would have an impact on poverty. I'm not going to pretend UBI was always about consolidating welfare rather that supplementing the existing system.

That UBI has become broadly embraced should tell you something about how much the economic and political context has changed since the 1970s when it was first kicked around and proposed in this country not that it was always secretly some conservative trojan horse.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

overboard posted:

No kidding, I posted about it at the time. I’m saying an apology would have been farcical so I’m glad he didn’t go that route. What exactly are you taking issue with?

I take issue with the implication that whether or not he apologies could possibly make the situation more farcical than it already is. The fact he floated a trial balloon apology and then decided not to apologize actually manages to be even worse than a false statement of contrition.

Demonstrating that now matter how bad any two options are a true centrist will always find a third option that combines the worst aspects of both.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I demand a Wynnsyical "Sorry Not Sorry" ad before this thing fizzles out.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Liberals raising the spectre of Stephen Harper ahead of schedule

https://twitter.com/liberal_party/status/1103744708042469377?s=20

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
did anybody else notice that gerry butts' rebuttal basically is stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself,

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Helsing posted:

Around these parts UBI is baby's first leftism for people who think you can solve income inequality without having to deal with the massive amount of exploitation and rent-seeking within the private sphere of the economy.

Try to imagine we had no socialized healthcare in Canada and somebody suggested that instead of government insurance we just give everyone a UBI of $30,000. How dumb (or rich) would you have to be to think the result would be a long term benefit for you? Sometimes the existence of a market in the first place is the problem, and supplementing people's income cannot solve a problem cause by the fundamental inefficiency built into a lot of markets.

Oh I agree. Conceptually UBI is pretty good, but it'll never work in the end because of the things you mentioned (ie: people).

Although I do think in your case, socialized healthcare is a form of UBI (UBHC?)- we all have the same base level of coverage regardless of who we are. You can add over the top (eg: personal insurance) if you're lucky/wealthy enough, but your base level is covered. The equivalency would be that you don't need to apply to multiple agencies right now to see what coverage can be done for you if you go to the hospital this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Socialized Healthcare is a universal program not a form of UBI