Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://dinosaurdracula.com/blog/deadsites-hot-topic-1998/

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's hilarious how Hot Topic went from "that 'scary' store in the mall for freaks" to basically almost indistinguishable from ThinkGeek's physical stores.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeh that's more about the mainstreaming or co-opting of niche and alternate cultures.

Like remember when Goths were a thing? Or when nerds were outcasts because they played vidja games or read comics or wouldn't shut the gently caress up about star wars?

It's all so quaint now.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
That whole Elastica album is great, too bad about the plagiarism.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm just glad chokers are back

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

JnnyThndrs posted:

That whole Elastica album is great, too bad about the plagiarism.

You need to post your avatar in the 70s thread.

Wish I had saved some of the images from that thread. That was one hell of a 70s home improvement/fashion catalogue.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

It's hilarious how Hot Topic went from "that 'scary' store in the mall for freaks"
Lol if you ever seriously thought that

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Did anyone ever try and recreate the "Mozarts Ghost" website from the movie The Net?

When I first got online in like 1996 or 1997 I remember looking furiously for something like that and it seems no one ever did.

I always though it would be a cool idea. Maybe I'm the only one.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vanagoon posted:

Did anyone ever try and recreate the "Mozarts Ghost" website from the movie The Net?

When I first got online in like 1996 or 1997 I remember looking furiously for something like that and it seems no one ever did.

There was a lot of dubious computer fuckery in Copycat too. Although recreating that would be a kind of gross.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Lol if you ever seriously thought that

I didn't, but that was the perception among parents

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Vanagoon posted:

As a teenager I worked for a website development company. I made goddamn sure access to the admin portal was a via a tiny pi symbol in the bottom right corner.

... I did end up getting questioned about this, so I explained the reference and the two owners of the company smiled and nodded because they were now in on the joke. Apparently the secret to doing stupid pointless poo poo is to tell people you're doing it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's this?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

aardwolf posted:

As a teenager I worked for a website development company. I made goddamn sure access to the admin portal was a via a tiny pi symbol in the bottom right corner.

... I did end up getting questioned about this, so I explained the reference and the two owners of the company smiled and nodded because they were now in on the joke. Apparently the secret to doing stupid pointless poo poo is to tell people you're doing it.
I don't think you learned something about human nature other than your bosses wanted to know the reason for your design choices and the answer satisfied them or they just didn't think it mattered enough to make you go back and change it. People are lazy more then you discovered something about an easy trick to get away with stuff.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Turns out there's less red tape to just take 150 feet od LEDs/screens and plaster them on the side of a condo complex or whatevers.

Gonna go post this in the Capitalism.jpg thread too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Vanagoon posted:

I used to wonder that too and looked around but never found anything. Someone could probably write a tool to search the web for random-appearing (as in unconnected to anything else) pi symbols on a page, right?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZrAYxWPN6c

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If nobody has mentioned something similar in the millions of posts in this thread already: I'd like to declare that the 1990s band LIVE is the most CHAD band ever.

Not only do they write songs with deep lyrics, you know, about love being like water, beaten and abused or whatever, and how pain lies on the river side, that totally make all girls, especially the Stacies of the world totally wet as gently caress, but they've also got not one, but TWO members named Chad in the band itself.

Rumour is that their next album is going to be called "come at me bro".

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I was born in 1980, and of all the 90s bands, LIVE was the one that converted me from country music to rock. Specifically, it was their performance of "I Alone" on SNL. I quickly learned about better bands, but 1994 was an awkward year.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Throwing Copper is a drat good album. Way more hits than misses to me for an essentially one hit wonder.

Plus it has this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs7LaACDWD8

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Live is totally 90s. Started out as a Christian band, made it big, Ed was in Fight Club, they all ended up suing each other, and they're still a staple of 90s alternative nostalgia radio.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Lighting Crashes is the only song I know that mentions a placenta.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ryonguy posted:

Throwing Copper is a drat good album. Way more hits than misses to me for an essentially one hit wonder.

Plus it has this one:

Two hit wonder, you mean. I Alone and Lightning Crashes both still get played

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Uh, The Distance to Here was also a great album.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dammit I’d completed erased Live and their placenta song from my brain and now it’s back...thanks 90’s thread.

:negative:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Randaconda posted:

I heard Selling The Drama coming out of passing car the other day (and it was a minor hit I think).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pangstrom posted:

I heard Selling The Drama coming out of passing car the other day (and it was a minor hit I think).

For sure, there were like 4, maybe 5 songs of theirs that were in rotation on my local alternative station back in the day.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pangstrom posted:

Yeah, I forgot about that one. They had a nice few years.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
But LIVE gave us Creed via the "pseudo-Christian band figures out it can make All the Money by just being slightly less specific and being on a mainstream label instead of in the contemporary Christian ghetto". Jars of Clay tried it first, of course, to much less success.

I think I remember reading an interview with LIVE's guitar player sometime around their third-album where he was talking about how, previously, he was completely self-taught, and the only songs he knew how to play were their songs. After 'Throwing Copper', he actually learned how to properly play, and I remember somehow it made them sound worse. Like if The Edge from U2 started playing like other guitarists or something.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Feb 24, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Imagined posted:

But LIVE gave us Creed via the "pseudo-Christian band figures out it can make All the Money by just being slightly less specific and being on a mainstream label instead of in the contemporary Christian ghetto". Jars of Clay tried it first, of course, to much less success.

I think I remember reading an interview with LIVE's guitar player sometime around their third-album where he was talking about how, previously, he was completely self-taught, and the only songs he knew how to play were their songs. After 'Throwing Copper', he actually learned how to properly play, and I remember somehow it made them sound worse. Like if The Edge from U2 started playing like other guitarists or something.

Basically how James Hetfield was awesome in Metallica, then he took voice lessons, and gave us a load of Load

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Randaconda posted:

You forgot their crowing achievement of the 90s.

THE WAY YOU'RE BATHED IN LIGHT / REMINDS ME OF THAT NIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBHmcORu4og

I always thought he used to say "Lolita's alright, lolita she will lead us."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If you're a certain kind of 90s kid, this music should give you goosebumps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShBy6mouUoo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Imagined posted:

I was born in 1980, and of all the 90s bands, LIVE was the one that converted me from country music to rock. Specifically, it was their performance of "I Alone" on SNL. I quickly learned about better bands, but 1994 was an awkward year.

Throwing Copper
Sixteen Stone
Superunknown
Dookie
The Downward Spiral
The Blue Album
Smash

Those albums were released in 1994.

TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO

I feel very old all of a sudden.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to this thread I listened to an entire album all the way through again. It was Live and yes I listened to the poo poo out of the whole album back in the day.

Criminally underrated band. The song from Zach and Miri is one of their best.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

ryonguy posted:

Plus it has this one:

Mental Jewelry was 10x better than Throwing Copper.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

If you're a certain kind of 90s kid, this music should give you goosebumps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShBy6mouUoo

Hell yes, I love poo poo like this. In a similar vein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwarhzl76D8

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lester Shy posted:

Yes, I remember these in elementary school! I've always been trying to find them again.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The most 90s thing I can think of at the moment was waking up earlyass on the morning of Dec 31 so I could watch CNN in the background all day to see the world celebrate the millennium, wondering if the computers would poo poo themselves all at once or in stages as people around the world ushered in a new age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2R--yH3OwY

I didn't "get" how lucky and random it was that I was alive to witness the changeover until later that night, as I went to bed with all this crazy optimism and hope about the ways the world would change and how everything would be future better.

I woke up to CNN covering a murder after a botched robbery before being disgusted that we couldnt just be good people for a day, then flipping to the Rose Parade.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

PhotoKirk posted:

Mental Jewelry was 10x better than Throwing Copper.

It's an earlier album that didn't get huge radio play so I am pretty sure you are correct without even having heard anything from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Lester Shy posted:

We gotta have the “Nature” theme in here too. Guess which versions are from the ‘90s!

https://youtu.be/MeibDeCgppI