Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Guinness posted:

All I see wrong is the smoked tail lights? Yeah they're bad but that's pretty easily fixed.

I thought he was referring to the fact that they didn't bother to dry it before photographing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Lincoln posted:

Aaaaand BMW is replacing the engine in my wife's money pit e70 X5 under the N63 Customer Protection Program. I'm number 4 on the list of locals now waiting for a new N63 engine, and number one has been waiting since I think November. They said, "Call back in like July, and we'll probably have a better idea of when you might expect your engine to be ready." Based on mileage, I'm on the hook for 15% of the cost. Not yet sure what that will be...

I truly hope that my lemon lawed but much loved 550i provided them data that helped make this program happen.

I suppose I will never know, but that engine was nothing but trouble.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How much is the car even worth? You'd think it would be cheaper to just buy your car or give you another one instead of replacing the engine and paying for a rental car.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Keyser_Soze posted:

It's crazy how since we posted this a few weeks ago that both the 2016 535 and M5 clean lease returns have mostly gotten gobbled up already. Of course if one wants an overpriced, overflogged version that's been auctioned twice already, those are still available!
I just had a look and you’re right. There’s only one nice M5 left around me. A couple of weeks ago there were 6 or 7.

I’m looking forward to the F90 M5s coming off lease. They have worse residuals than the F10.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Why would they all appear at once? I’d think they would be spread out through the year, depending on when people started their leases, no?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Why would they all appear at once? I’d think they would be spread out through the year, depending on when people started their leases, no?
Yes, he was just pointing out that they're being sold almost as soon as they become available because they're great deals.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Cojawfee posted:

How much is the car even worth?

Yeah, about what they're going to pay to replace the engine. But we'll have a properly-functioning car that will be much easier to sell. So I'm down.

Tremek posted:

This is the main reason I bailed on our X5M after a year...

I am stunned they even make an M-version of the X5. It's literally a granny car. My wife's 50i is pushing the envelope of what a middle-aged woman is willing to buy. I saw a 7-series Alpina in the showroom a few months ago for like $165k. Who's in the market for one of those?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Lincoln posted:

I am stunned they even make an M-version of the X5. It's literally a granny car. My wife's 50i is pushing the envelope of what a middle-aged woman is willing to buy. I saw a 7-series Alpina in the showroom a few months ago for like $165k. Who's in the market for one of those?
People will buy that for the same reason a 50 year old middle manager who knows nothing about cars and only uses them as point A to point B buys an M5. His friends and co-workers have 535's and 550's, but he makes more than them so he wants to have the most expensive version of the car.

The Alpina B7 is just the next level.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Alpina is if you don’t even want to pretend you care about track cred

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Lincoln posted:

It's not though. Would you be stunned to learn an X5M of that vintage can run a 4.0 0-60 and a 12.5s quarter at sea level? That's exactly what an M2 turns in.

My wife did 13 flat at our local (Denver - 5800 ft. above sea level, ~7500-9k density altitude on average) track once - 13.2 pictured here with my buddy recording - and it has active torque vectoring on the rear axle, which usually has 315s on the rear, so for an SUV they can turn, too. It really is a tall sports wagon. They're only about 500 lbs heavier than an E63s wagon.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

People will buy that for the same reason a 50 year old middle manager who knows nothing about cars and only uses them as point A to point B buys an M5. His friends and co-workers have 535's and 550's, but he makes more than them so he wants to have the most expensive version of the car.

People will buy them used because they're ~$25k now and fast as poo poo, and utilitarian to boot.

People bought (leased) them new because they're the top trim level, and many are probably writing it off as a business expense or having it paid for by work. There's a lot of that.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 7, 2019

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Pretty sure my wife does not care about track cred. Just heard back from the dealership: the new engine will be ready "maybe this summer, we hope." They also have to replace the footwell module, but they'll do that today — no charge, as they had extended the warranty on that part.

I drive a 2008 Z4 (e85), and it's given me very few problems. I'm getting the idea that BMW is cranking out high-end poo poo-boxes for Americans who don't plan to drive them more than three years. My Z4 has been a gem; my wife's X5 has been a headache.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Lincoln posted:

I'm getting the idea that BMW is cranking out high-end poo poo-boxes for Americans who don't plan to drive them more than three years.

https://www.cheshnotes.com/sales-of-bmw-vehicles-by-market/

BMW's selling them wherever the market will bear, notably selling 3x the cars in Europe and 2x the cars in Asia vs the US, so don't fool yourself into thinking this is an American problem. BMW has had real and significant engine problems in virtually every model line for over a decade.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Tremek posted:

It's not though. Would you be stunned to learn an X5M of that vintage can run a 4.0 0-60 and a 12.5s quarter at sea level? That's exactly what an M2 turns in.

My wife did 13 flat at our local (Denver - 5800 ft. above sea level, ~7500-9k density altitude on average) track once - 13.2 pictured here with my buddy recording - and it has active torque vectoring on the rear axle, which usually has 315s on the rear, so for an SUV they can turn, too. It really is a tall sports wagon. They're only about 500 lbs heavier than an E63s wagon.

Oh God, I'm not critiquing the vehicle's performance, only it's reliability. That car loving moves fast. It's a very large sports car. The first time I put my foot on the floor, my breath was taken away. I really was stunned by its power. Had a hard time believing I was in a big SUV. And that's just the 50i.

I can't imagine what the X5M would do — but I also can't imagine why anyone in the market for a mid- to large-luxury SUV would want one. Reminds me of the Dodge Magnum, a million-HP station wagon.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Lincoln posted:

Reminds me of the Dodge Magnum, a million-HP station wagon.

You're kinda talking to the wrong guy here

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I still want one just to move the ///M to the wrong side of the X5 and put the scripty Miata badge in its place

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I fail to see how you fail to see that it's awesome

Seriously though, what's there not to get about a car that seats 5, carries tons of poo poo, makes tons of power, and can turn especially relative to its size?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
LOL, yes I can see why a freakishly-overpowered wagon would appeal to a game-the-system utilitarian engineering wonk, but c'mon...it's a station wagon. poo poo.

It's like the car equivalent of Soylent.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 7, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think overpowered wagons are polarizing as poo poo. I love them too

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Wagons are good, what's the problem here?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Wagons rule the X5 is an SUV.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Lincoln posted:

LOL, yes I can see why a freakishly-overpowered wagon would appeal to a game-the-system utilitarian engineering wonk, but c'mon...

Do you know where you're posting right now?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Isn't a fast wagon just a fast sedan, but more so? Who can hate that?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Lincoln posted:

Oh God, I'm not critiquing the vehicle's performance, only it's reliability. That car loving moves fast. It's a very large sports car. The first time I put my foot on the floor, my breath was taken away. I really was stunned by its power. Had a hard time believing I was in a big SUV. And that's just the 50i.

I can't imagine what the X5M would do — but I also can't imagine why anyone in the market for a mid- to large-luxury SUV would want one. Reminds me of the Dodge Magnum, a million-HP station wagon.

Friend, you have very much come to the wrong place. I don't think there are many people who post in this thread who think that wagons in general are anything less than awesome. It's not really just this thread, though, it's basically a trend in enthusiast communities across the board. They aren't widely popular, but car dudes certainly want sporty wagons.

I'm not a fan of E70s because I still think they feel like fat SUVs to drive, but I would drive an M5 wagon for the rest of my life. And this is coming from someone who's spent the last 6+ years driving coupes. If I could buy a manual transmission F31 335 I would have one yesterday.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I really liked Clarkson's bit on Grand Tour a few weeks back about this, and wish BMW would sell more Alpinas over here in the States.

As you and he both note, a lot of people buy M cars not because they want what a M car is known for but because it's the most expensive one. If the B3, B4, and B5 were available as easily as a B7 I guarantee a lot of those middle manager types driving M cars would switch over and everyone could be happier. They'd be happier with cars that still show off their status and are almost as fast while being a lot more comfortable and the sport crowd would be happier because the M cars wouldn't have to compromise as much to appeal to that group of buyers.

Also wagons are great, overpowered wagons are loving awesome, and SUVs are nonsensical unless you actually need ground clearance or towing capacity regularly.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 7, 2019

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I can’t beliehe the e60 m5 wagon came with a manual in the states I really want one

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

I can’t beliehe the e60 m5 wagon came with a manual in the states I really want one

I'm pretty sure the USA never saw the E60 M5 wagon in any form. But the E60 M5 sedan was available with a 6MT.

The USA has never officially gotten any M wagons AFAIK, which is a crying shame.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
For real, I'd rather manual swap a car (Euro) than move over bodywork and complete drivetrain (US) :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bape Culture posted:

It never did.

In two years I will be squarely in the target demo for a fast wagon and I WILL buy one.

Preferably 1-2 years old

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Mr. Apollo posted:

Yes, he was just pointing out that they're being sold almost as soon as they become available because they're great deals.

Yeah, 2016 was their lowest output for 535 F10's and production ended Oct 2016 so they will keep trickling in for the next few months until all the 36 month leases expire. A lot of people did pull ahead's as well since most are showing 2 years, 9 months etc instead of 3 years. M5's appear to have been produced until March 2017 so they will keep trickling in as well.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

wolrah posted:

I really liked Clarkson's bit on Grand Tour a few weeks back about this, and wish BMW would sell more Alpinas over here in the States.

Isn't Alpina a wholly separate company that just buys BMWs and then resells them after doing their luxo-hotrod stuff to them, sorta like Ruf/Callaway/Hennesey/whoever?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

NumbersMatching320 posted:

Isn't Alpina a wholly separate company that just buys BMWs and then resells them after doing their luxo-hotrod stuff to them, sorta like Ruf/Callaway/Hennesey/whoever?

That may be effectively what they do, but I think Alpina has a pretty integrated deal with BMW since they are sold at BMW dealerships the same as any other car, and listed on BMW's website as available models (in the US, I think the only currently available Alpina car is the B7).

It really does seem like BMW USA is missing out an opportunity to sell a lot of Alpina cars as super-lux GTs, and focus the M brand on sport/track, but what do I know.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 7, 2019

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Guinness posted:

I'm pretty sure the USA never saw the E60 M5 wagon in any form. But the E60 M5 sedan was available with a 6MT.

The USA has never officially gotten any M wagons AFAIK, which is a crying shame.

Oh but you got the 60 with a manual so it should be a simple swap. Right? RIGHT?!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Was the SMG in the E60 M5 like the SMG in the E46 M3 where you can machine the bellhousing and convert everything over pretty cheaply?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Lincoln posted:

It's like the car equivalent of Soylent.

Compared to what? It's more like you can have your cake and eat it too... By comparison you're driving around in a small roadster that fits +1 and not a whole else, and in virtually all performance aspects is inferior to a 4300 lb wagon that carries +4, has cargo room for dogs or cats or groceries or track tires or whatever you're into. How can that be a bad thing?

I see clear anti-wagon bias: why? Show us on the model where the '88 Olds Cutlass Cruiser with fake wood paneling and an Iron Duke touched you.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I cant remember the year, make, or model, but when I was little a family friend had one of those wagons with the rear facing seats in the way back and ive loved wagons ever since riding in that thing even though I'm sure at that time it was probably one of the slowest things on the road.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wagons with reverse seats in the way back were pretty cool. I knew some people whose parents had them, but we just had a van. Reverse way back seats kind of made sense. Forward ones don't. Granted, I was a kid and just jumped over and never thought of any other way to do it, but were vans just designed so the way back seats were completely inaccessible unless you climbed over the middle seats?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
We didn't have reverse facing seats in my parents' Cavalier wagon, we just sat in the cargo area unbelted without caring about safety.

Boy, the back of that car really got crushed when my dad got rear ended.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Whoah, whoah, whoah — slow down everybody ... I don't like SUVs any more than wagons.

They're both dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Lincoln posted:

Whoah, whoah, whoah — slow down everybody ... I don't like SUVs any more than wagons.

They're both dumb.

Who is this wrong guy?