Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

highmodulus posted:

Unexpectedly, this also means the AI won't offer peace to you no matter how bad your killing them.

Funny thing is that this is the correct move in MP games because of the insanely harsh occupation mechanic. Cities are unusable until you get peace or if the other guy is wiped out - so why offer peace? He's already taken a couple of my cities, why not just spite him to the death so it takes as long as possible for him to actually use them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The victory conditions are grossly unbalanced in how much you gain from pursuing them outside of the victory screen.

Military: Conquest gives you more cities, and cities are everything. Plus you want a serviceable military even if you're not actively looking to conquer the world.

Science: Science is always something you want, regardless of what else you're doing. Spaceport projects aren't the most exciting thing, but they give you some decent bonuses and era score.

Religion: Establishing and following your own religion lets you choose the bonuses you get, and spreading it to other civs gives you whatever founder bonus you picked. Plus there's a bunch of reliable era points to pick up if you're ever short on those.

Tourism: You get absolutely zero benefits from tourism outside of eventually winning the game. Gunning for great works will keep up your culture output, but tourism itself does nothing for you. V at least tied it to the ideology clash system and gave you bonuses towards civs whose culture you had eclipsed.

Diplomacy: Pursuing diplo victory points avails you nothing and ties up your diplomatic favor.

It's true, and one of the things which I think civ would really benefit from, is to link several victory types with other mechanics than the wargame idea. I like the idea of the religious victory but hate its implementation; why would you just reskin the military side and then let them ignore borders?

I like the idea of tourism and culture victories as well but I agree they're too passive. I think that diplomatic/cultural victory could probably be rolled into the trading mechanic somehow. I like sending out caravans/shipping lines but all they really do is give you paltry gold and (at least in V) a % bonus to tourism from that civ. I think it would be interesting if these were combined more strongly, where a cultural victory hinges on shipping goods around the world and contesting supremacy in ways that don't involve you smashing units into each other. Maybe concessions for chartered airlines in the late game, limited amount of spots per harbour and so on? That would make you contest these premium spots to ensure you lock your culture into the target with a combination of touristic lines and economic domination.

It would also handily solve the "tourism does nothing if you're not going for a cultural victory" problem because more gold is always useful.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Clarste posted:

I play on Prince, build 4-6 cities, and win a culture victory before the modern era without ever being at war.

:same:

except last time I just amassed an army and smashed my way through everyone nearby for lebensraum :unsmigghh: but ended up winning a science victory anyway, couldn't be arsed to move a whole army over to another continent for the other capitals.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I want a military tourism victory called hearts and minds where I bomb them until they love me.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Win a culture victory by wiping out every nation you aren't influential with

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah but all of that is worthless if you're behind on tech.
I used Georgia's unique wall on a Janissary and did 3 damage

Culture can't be ignored. But it isn't the foundation of anything really. Even tourism really wants flight and computers

All of the culture based bonuses that grant you +combat strength help if you are behind on tech and it goes double for Zulu who absolutely own with good culture income even when behind on tech.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

A Greek Hoplite with 2 upgrades and another hoplite standing next to it can trade with a musketeer. Now imagine a Hoplite corps.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Does this game still have the feature that made flipping a late-game victory in Brave New World viable? I'm talking about how if you were culturally dominant over an enemy their combat units would have a harder time of fighting you.

ANYWAY: I have discovered the perfect synergy for Maori: Reyna the governor! One of her early abilities lets her improve the beauty of untouched nature features like rainforest and regular forest, and make them output gold. Maori's cultural building gives such places culture and faith output as well.

So my starting city, which I originally thought was going to be rather humble, turned into a goddamn culture/faith GIANT that was also raking in the dough.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198058949093/screenshot/1003645806915322947

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Tourism should give some sort of income bonus and maybe some culture or just... any sort of mechanic other than a total useless sunk cost that does nothing unless you win.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Speedball posted:

Does this game still have the feature that made flipping a late-game victory in Brave New World viable? I'm talking about how if you were culturally dominant over an enemy their combat units would have a harder time of fighting you.

ANYWAY: I have discovered the perfect synergy for Maori: Reyna the governor! One of her early abilities lets her improve the beauty of untouched nature features like rainforest and regular forest, and make them output gold. Maori's cultural building gives such places culture and faith output as well.

So my starting city, which I originally thought was going to be rather humble, turned into a goddamn culture/faith GIANT that was also raking in the dough.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198058949093/screenshot/1003645806915322947

That Reyna synergy also works very well for Australia since it adds tile appeal which in turn increases his district power. Only thing is you have to wait until she is established with the upgrade before putting districts down.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Speedball posted:

Don't think so, that seems to have been replaced by the combat bonus from diplomatic visibility.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I bought Civ 6 a few weeks back, after a shameful amount of time spent on Civ 5.
Does anyone know why the devs abandoned the ideological conflict idea from 5? I really liked the arc and narrative it gave the game, I feel a bit lost with it gone...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

TorakFade posted:

:same:

except last time I just amassed an army and smashed my way through everyone nearby for lebensraum :unsmigghh: but ended up winning a science victory anyway, couldn't be arsed to move a whole army over to another continent for the other capitals.

I'm on King (which is basically the same as Prince) and have come close to a military victory a few times but decided against it because crossing the ocean with 1UPT is just the absolute worst.
There's really no reason the game should stop your unit moving when their location (which is 35 turns away) has another unit in it.

And message spam when you're playing Teams and a war is declared is mad. You just have to stop playing for a minute to let it all fade away so you can see.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Borsche69 posted:

I still don't know why this crap is in the game. Civ 3: Conquests added Volcanos that randomly erupt and cover your tiles and the counterplay is to use workers to periodically clean up the mess. No one liked it in 2003 and here we are, 16 years later, with the same random poo poo.

this time it also uses up your workers so you have to queue up new ones, which is a nice touch

e: i was very surprised but also not at all surprised to see that natural disasters usually outright destroy improvements instead of pillaging them. you've got a system for handling this stuff already jesus, just use it

Prav fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 7, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Prav posted:

this time it also uses up your workers so you have to queue up new ones, which is a nice touch

e: i was very surprised but also not at all surprised to see that natural disasters usually outright destroy improvements instead of pillaging them. you've got a system for handling this stuff already jesus, just use it

And it doesn't tell you! I'm constantly finding I've got a burning campus or a missing mine without knowing what happened or how long it's been that way.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
"Look how much people complain about notifications! Fine. We won't tell players when natural disasters wreck their cities, that'll learn 'em."

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

But the game gives you a nice cinematic and the number of tiles destroyed/fertilized/... ?
It's pretty obvious to me.

Also, those complaining about the popups, just get Concise UI already. It makes everything nicer.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Tree Bucket posted:

I bought Civ 6 a few weeks back, after a shameful amount of time spent on Civ 5.
Does anyone know why the devs abandoned the ideological conflict idea from 5? I really liked the arc and narrative it gave the game, I feel a bit lost with it gone...

the three ideologies are still present as governments, but they have way fewer differences now (think amount and color of Policies plus a very big bonus to some mechanic)

in the future era there are even more extreme governments that are independent of the ideologies (they kinda remind me of the endgame Alpha Centauri politics)

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Marmaduke! posted:

"Look how much people complain about notifications! Fine. We won't tell players when natural disasters wreck their cities, that'll learn 'em."

Natural disaster isn't as important as knowing two civilizations traded something(but we won't ever tell you what)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

But the game gives you a nice cinematic and the number of tiles destroyed/fertilized/... ?
It's pretty obvious to me.

Also, those complaining about the popups, just get Concise UI already. It makes everything nicer.

Cinematic, what?
It gives you a tiny circle at the bottom right with a picture of a volcano that says [this has happened, here's who died and etc]. But it doesn't say "This is in your territory and happened to you!".
Like say a storm smashes something, I don't get told at all.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

You people don't see the cinematic?!

There's a cinematic when the disaster happens inside or near your borders, and it says on the bottom number of tiles damaged, fertilized and how many citizens have been killed.

The tiny circle is also there, in case you missed the cinematic.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

You people don't see the cinematic?!

There's a cinematic when the disaster happens inside or near your borders, and it says on the bottom number of tiles damaged, fertilized and how many citizens have been killed.

The tiny circle is also there, in case you missed the cinematic.

It probably doesn't play if you're playing multiplayer. I'm always in a team with another human player, it misses tonnes of stuff like that.
Partly why I wish the UI let you click on a wonder and it'd straight away tell you what it does.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Wow, for real? Those disaster movies are one of the cooler new things of the expansion.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Baronjutter posted:

Tourism should give some sort of income bonus and maybe some culture or just... any sort of mechanic other than a total useless sunk cost that does nothing unless you win.

Visiting tourists giving gold would be cool if visiting tourists showed up before the industrial age.
The tourism system in general seems wonky.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I would really like it if there was a way to check which tiles got what fertility boost.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Can confirm disaster movies and was wondering what game y’all were playing while talking about lack of notification. That said, I’ve never done multi in this game. Maybe there’s an option to enable those parts of the game in multiplayer?

There’s also a whole interface screen dedicated to disasters, though I’m unsure if it details tile damage, my eyes kinda glaze over when looking at it.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Tahirovic posted:

I would really like it if there was a way to check which tiles got what fertility boost.

Move a builder unit over it, it should do a little jiggly move when on a fertile tile.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 7, 2019

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Maybe there’s an option to enable those parts of the game in multiplayer?

There isn't....as far as I can tell, you also don't get to see the movies for discovering natural wonders or building world wonders or doing space race projects.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Speaking of multiplayer, don't intend to ever try it but I was just curious.

Are there groups of players that play without victory conditions and just do a 100% serious roleplay? Maybe with their own world congress/united nations type of thing where they join via group chat in game to discuss world issues. Cool things like that!

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
gently caress no declare war asap and kill each other

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Taear posted:

And it doesn't tell you! I'm constantly finding I've got a burning campus or a missing mine without knowing what happened or how long it's been that way.

Its amazing it still doesn't do this when one of the pre-release streams featured one of the devs talking about how he was testing the game, sent some units to explore, and they got randomly killed by a natural disaster and that it took him like 20 turns to realize this when he went to go check on his scouts. He told this story as if it was like a funny joke, instead of something fundamentally wrong with the system and their playtesting.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Multiplayer not prompting me to change policies for free fucks me up 90% of the time.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The one-city challenge is really interesting with Russia (spending great people can expand your borders past the 3-tile line!), but maybe it should be the two-city challenge for Civ 6.

How did OCC work in 5 when taking someone's capitol? Did you auto-raze it like everything else?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ragnar34 posted:

The one-city challenge is really interesting with Russia (spending great people can expand your borders past the 3-tile line!), but maybe it should be the two-city challenge for Civ 6.

How did OCC work in 5 when taking someone's capitol? Did you auto-raze it like everything else?

You still can't work tiles beyond that line or build disticts/wonders on them though..............you can, however, harvest/chop.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

So, just like every other civ can?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

One millisecond after the disaster popup, you'll see little food/production icon flash for a second on the fertilized tile. Oh, the screen shifted to have Willhemina yell at you about trade routes again? Guess you missed it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It'd be nice if you had an option to choose the alternate color scheme for the civ you're playing. Most civs just borrow a release civ's colors, but some of the alternate schemes are unique and good. The Inca get their Civ V colors, Kongo gets a mint green/dark yellow scheme, and Mongolia gets a needlessly soothing lavender and white scheme that I would use in a heartbeat.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It'd be nice if you had an option to choose the alternate color scheme for the civ you're playing. Most civs just borrow a release civ's colors, but some of the alternate schemes are unique and good. The Inca get their Civ V colors, Kongo gets a mint green/dark yellow scheme, and Mongolia gets a needlessly soothing lavender and white scheme that I would use in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure I follow, this is already feature in Gathering Storm and you can change the colors in the lobby before launching the game.

edit: holy poo poo you can't change jersey colors in singleplayer at all, lol what the gently caress

That's so dumb. I love sorting the alternate colors in the MP lobbies before starting.. :smith: I had no idea this was a non-feature for singleplayer, that makes no sense.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 8, 2019

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Multiplayer not prompting me to change policies for free fucks me up 90% of the time.
Ugh same but more like 50%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

onesixtwo posted:

I'm not sure I follow, this is already feature in Gathering Storm and you can change the colors in the lobby before launching the game.

edit: holy poo poo you can't change jersey colors in singleplayer at all, lol what the gently caress

That's so dumb. I love sorting the alternate colors in the MP lobbies before starting.. :smith: I had no idea this was a non-feature for singleplayer, that makes no sense.

The game is a hash of stuff like that though, tonnes of bits that just aren't quite planned properly.

Like in the dev stream, the guy losing his troops to a storm and just not even caring that the game didn't SAY that it was happening.