Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Guys I just beat bloodstarved beast without using the doll once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I ballsed up. I've recently moved cities and I had decided that my ps4 wasn't going to come with me.

Not only can I not finish RDR2, but Sekiro is coming out soon.

well i understand, a ps4 has to weigh at least, three and a half pounds.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fix posted:

Case update: It was my fault. I bought the similarly icon'd Assassin's Creed Origins Helix instead of Assassins Creed Odyssey Helix in the PSN store and, despite not owning Assassins Creed Origins, their customer support cannot help me and I lose ten dollars to Ubisoft for my mistake because their customer support is unable to correct this kind of problem, which is totally a believable thing, their inability to transfer digital currency between two games on one account. GG, Ubisoft, who now has my ten dollars. I hosed up and you got my dollars.

The self-ownage of this story is legendary. I hope you've learned a valuable lesson .

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

well i understand, a ps4 has to weigh at least, three and a half pounds.

I ran outta space in my suitcase :[

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In Japan, the PS4 just got an update to 6.50. it says that it now supports remote play on iOS devices. Only a week after the Vita went out of production.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

In Japan, the PS4 just got an update to 6.50. it says that it now supports remote play on iOS devices. Only a week after the Vita went out of production.

I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner for a general global release, considering the Vita's been dead a lot longer everywhere else.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

:eyepop:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I might actually try remote play now :o

Assuming this comes to the US

e: honestly I’ll probably just use the switch because I never have time when I can’t use the PS4 when I want

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 7, 2019

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Somehow that seems like an uncomfortable way to play PS4 games. Unless you can just use the iPhone's screen as a display and can control using a DS4.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

Somehow that seems like an uncomfortable way to play PS4 games. Unless you can just use the iPhone's screen as a display and can control using a DS4.

I can definately do that on my Android phone. My 2nd controller is paired with my phone so I can play PS1/SNES games on it so remote play looks kinda nice that way.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I actually hacked my Vita the other day so I could use SD cards as storage. The only thing missing from it is R2 and L2 buttons, otherwise it is just a lovely bit of kit.

I also have the cool nyko hand grips on it :D

So comfortable! And the grip is a battery so double life.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't have any iOS devices so it's neither here nor there for me. I imagine Android will come later, but I don't see myself getting much use out of my smartphone in that regard. remote play on the Vita was only ever a curiosity for me, though I did find out that it's pretty playable for non-action games even from China.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I love all the mainline MGS games... Except V. V has some of the best gameplay ever, but the lack of a satisfying story and the lack of David Hayter mean I will never play it again. Every other MGS is forever on my replay list though.

I remember what it was like when I beat MGSV. "... Um. Wait. That's it?!"

Blame it on Kojima, blame it on Konami, blame it on them both, but that was the most unsatisfying game ending I've ever seen after the years of build-up.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

How do you hold the controller and phone at the same time?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

VideoGames posted:

I actually hacked my Vita the other day so I could use SD cards as storage. The only thing missing from it is R2 and L2 buttons, otherwise it is just a lovely bit of kit.

I also have the cool nyko hand grips on it :D

So comfortable! And the grip is a battery so double life.

Do you use any kind of adapter for the SD? I've been after a Vita for a long time already and both the storage and the few games I own (through PS+ mostly and some like Salt&Sanctuary wich are crossbuy) make me think about it twice.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Guillermus posted:

Do you use any kind of adapter for the SD? I've been after a Vita for a long time already and both the storage and the few games I own (through PS+ mostly and some like Salt&Sanctuary wich are crossbuy) make me think about it twice.

I do yes!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H2HFQJS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_-CqGCbFYPA8ZH

This lovely thing. Be warned though, I was lucky enough to be on a low firmware. And at the moment being on firmware higher than 3.68 means you will not be able the hack the vita yet and you can only use SD storage like this on a hacked Vita. (I also have one of the original models of Vita which is why I was so lucky).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I figured you'd be able to play with all touchscreen controls. That's what all the kids are doing these days anyway. I'm clearly too old to appreciate that way of controlling games.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

VideoGames posted:

I do yes!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H2HFQJS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_-CqGCbFYPA8ZH

This lovely thing. Be warned though, I was lucky enough to be on a low firmware. And at the moment being on firmware higher than 3.68 means you will not be able the hack the vita yet and you can only use SD storage like this on a hacked Vita. (I also have one of the original models of Vita which is why I was so lucky).

Sweet thanks! I will try to do a research and see around if I can find an old firmware vita. I'd play more my PSP but is a nightmare to find a decent battery replacement that doesn't stop working after two months of use.

To get this clear: this adapter is for the PSVita game slot, I still need a sony card for saves and that stuff, right?

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 7, 2019

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's probably cheaper to buy a new PSP :v:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Guillermus posted:

Sweet thanks! I will try to do a research and see around if I can find an old firmware vita. I'd play more my PSP but is a nightmare to find a decent battery replacement that doesn't stop working after two months of use.

To get this clear: this adapter is for the PSVita game slot, I still need a sony card for saves and that stuff, right?

The adapter is for the PSVita game slot yes, but with hacking it (especially on 3.65) you can make it the primary storage. The sony memory card can be left in the Vita for other things. So I have a 128gb SD card with all my installs and programs on it, then my 8GB sony vita memory stick is registered as secondary storage and is where I store emulator games. (I have been playing weird Sonic and Mario hacks! :D)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Battery replacements for my PSP aren't expensive (around 12€), thing is they're all lovely quality. I own a PSP2000 1st gen so is of course on the latest unlocked firmware available and it doesn't need patching after turning it off. It also has a brand new screen I put in last year. I have a 20.000mAh powerbank I use to play it via USB. I could try to purchase one of those hand grips with extra battery for cheap and see if they last longer too.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I got iOS Remote Play just now with the 6.50 update. It's touchscreen controls apparently, by the way, dunno if you can sync your DS4 with an iPhone yet as I just got the update and the app.

E: No DS4 support, touchscreen is pretty awkward on a smaller phone but hey, it works.

E2: I guess the best use for this is being able to delete games remotely if you just bought something from the store and don't have space to download it which is quite nice.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 7, 2019

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Never tried remote play. How does it work? I turn on the console and go to the living room with a veta/PSTV/ios phone and just play?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Guillermus posted:

Never tried remote play. How does it work? I turn on the console and go to the living room with a veta/PSTV/ios phone and just play?
The next room, the other side of the world, it makes little difference. There is a delay based on the encoding and decoding a video, but that's about it.

Edit: my OS all already has one small element of that: you can order your PlayStation 4 to wake up from sleep mode and start downloading a game you just bought. Remote Play just expands it from there.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 7, 2019

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

You select the Remote Play app on your phone/Vita/PC/Mac with your PS4 powered on and sign into your PSN account in the app and it'll connect to your PS4 either locally, which it tries first, or through the internet, wherever you are. Afterwards your PS4 only has to be on standby/rest mode and you can turn it on using the app. Base PS4 can stream max 720p/60fps but PS4 Pro can do 1080p/60fps remote play.

PC and Mac support DS4 through either bluetooth or USB, Vita uses Vita controls obviously and phones and tablets use touchscreen controls.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Holy gently caress! At least in the Japanese version, 6.50 allows you to set X as accept and O as cancel. That's been hardware locked since the PlayStation 1. Did it change that in the western versions?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It said that's for certain regions only or something. Seemed overdue for sure.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Sony is getting ahead of Microsoft streaming to Switch.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I just got a PS4, with RDR2 and PS Plus. What are some other must-play games this generation? I love the Souls games so Bloodborne is probably next on my list, but I'm looking forward to catching up.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

The next room, the other side of the world, it makes little difference. There is a delay based on the encoding and decoding a video, but that's about it.

Edit: my OS all already has one small element of that: you can order your PlayStation 4 to wake up from sleep mode and start downloading a game you just bought. Remote Play just expands it from there.

Stare-Out posted:

You select the Remote Play app on your phone/Vita/PC/Mac with your PS4 powered on and sign into your PSN account in the app and it'll connect to your PS4 either locally, which it tries first, or through the internet, wherever you are. Afterwards your PS4 only has to be on standby/rest mode and you can turn it on using the app. Base PS4 can stream max 720p/60fps but PS4 Pro can do 1080p/60fps remote play.

PC and Mac support DS4 through either bluetooth or USB, Vita uses Vita controls obviously and phones and tablets use touchscreen controls.

Thanks! Sounds really cool as I can at least play some stuff when I'm visiting my wife's family some weekends. Leaving the PS4 on rest mode and turning it on/off with remote play sounds really cool. Even with touch controls I can play some games even with a bit of delay and I don't need to carry my PS4 around (that's why i still use my PSP).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Started playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and is it just me or is Lara's ability to grab mid-jump a lot more fidgety than it was in Rise and Tomb Raider? Had a few jumps that she clearly should've grabbed and just smacked into the wall instead before falling to her death.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Like so.

It has a very solid suction cup (the kind with a latch) on the back.

Annoyingly, though, Apple doesn't allow the Dualshock 4 to be used, and it also won't work via a mobile network.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Mar 7, 2019

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It doesn't, unfortunately. I remember hearing it's mostly due to Apple being real careful about Bluetooth connectivity.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Toebone posted:

I just got a PS4, with RDR2 and PS Plus. What are some other must-play games this generation? I love the Souls games so Bloodborne is probably next on my list, but I'm looking forward to catching up.

Some of my favorite exclusives:

Horizon Zero Dawn
God of War
Spider-Man
Yakuza 0

Yakuza 0 isn’t actually an exclusive but who cares buy Yakuza 0.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

It doesn't, unfortunately. I remember hearing it's mostly due to Apple being real careful about Bluetooth connectivity.

I just saw in the app notes, bummer.

Did the android app get updated? It still says you need an Xperia device and a Dualshock 4 (no touchscreen support, so the opposite of iOS).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

JBP posted:

Guys I just beat bloodstarved beast without using the doll once.

Why did you do this to yourself

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Holy gently caress! At least in the Japanese version, 6.50 allows you to set X as accept and O as cancel. That's been hardware locked since the PlayStation 1. Did it change that in the western versions?

I remember on the original PlayStation triangle was cancel

It was the wild west on Sega Genesis, no loving telling what any buttons would do in any given game. Don't have the fancy six button controller? You may be hosed

Nintendo won with B as cancel

E although in a lot of original Nintendo games, you had to select a cancel option and hit A, this is important stuff folks

univbee posted:

Like so.

It has a very solid suction cup (the kind with a latch) on the back.

Annoyingly, though, Apple doesn't allow the Dualshock 4 to be used, and it also won't work via a mobile network.

What? Well there goes me trying it, at least night of. Is the controller I'll need out already? Ugh will the buttons be on the dumb screen

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 7, 2019

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The region specific X/O thing only affects the operating system and some games though. As far as Western games in Japan, some of them have X as accept, some have O, and some let you switch them inside the game. no telling what this update will do to any of them.

Edit: it drastically affects Souls games since the dodge/run/jump button is different.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 7, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
:siren:AUSGOONS:siren:

Harvey Norman is apparently gearing up for a massively-discounted games clearance sale online and in-store that SHOULD have actually started about 40 minutes ago at midnight. Some of these look to have gone live on the Harvey Norman website already, some are still showing original price, though apparently prices may vary between retail stores and online, so :rolldice:.

PS4 games include;

• Far Cry 5 - $5AUD
  • Destiny 2 - $5AUD
  • South Park: Fractured But Whole - $5AUD
  • Kingdom Hearts 3 - $55AUD
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey - $40AUD
  • Assassin's Creed Origins - $17.10
  • The Division 2 - $65AUD :siren:
  • Battlefield V - $40AUD
  • DMC 5 - $70AUD :siren:
  • RDR2 - $58AUD
  • Hitman 2 - $60AUD :siren:

Stare-Out posted:

Less "careful" and more "Buy our overpriced Apple-brand accessories".

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Let's see how Left Alive is doing.

https://twitter.com/GameDataLibrary/status/1103510500674027520

Cool.