Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just got to the part in Ghostwater where Lindon just straight up wins in a direct fight against the Truegold dragon girl. It really feels like a huge accomplishment after 5 books of him never having any straight-forward wins against strong enemies that don't involve some sort of deception/tricks on his part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Just started reading Savage Divinity. The first 14 chapters have been good. It's very slow but it has all the feels.

Ytlaya posted:

I just got to the part in Ghostwater where Lindon just straight up wins in a direct fight against the Truegold dragon girl. It really feels like a huge accomplishment after 5 books of him never having any straight-forward wins against strong enemies that don't involve some sort of deception/tricks on his part.

That was a good fight. I like how he got his rear end kicked a bunch the first few times he fought her.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Savage Divinity started so strong. I still read it occasionally because there is a good story in there but I hate how it developed into harem and menagerie

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i found the setting of savage divinity interesting enough, but i just couldn't bring myself to like the mc. there's no one thing i can point to for why i didn't like him, either.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Thanks to whoever posted I Favor The Villainess in this thread originally, because now the translation is done and it's great. Far and away the best yuri WN I've seen.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Yeah, the MC of Savage Divinity + the whole harem made me drop it like a hot potato after a while. It's a pity because I would have easily read the same story but with the MC never existing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Crossposting from isekai thread:

YESSSSSSSSSSSS FINALLY

http://yaraon-blog.com/archives/145924?fbclid=IwAR2hBcwKMroCE8P17Ot9plLiLwcTPBhiKq6dx0G21zGWt1PpcE8jURVTLDA

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Use your loving words what is this

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Ascendance of a Bookworm anime I think.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Piell posted:

Use your loving words what is this

I mean who cares tbh.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm about ~70% through Ghostwater now, and I'm looking forward to Lindon getting out and surprising Yerin with his advancement . He's finally "stronger than the average person" even by the standards of the outside world. The way the series very gradually hands out the power advancement makes it feel like more of an accomplishment when he makes progress.

I'm curious to find out how Eithan came up with, or learned, the "Heaven and Earth Purification Wheel" (or whatever it's called) cycling technique, since his massive madra stores seem like the entire basis of his relatively high power relative to other Underlord-level sacred artists and he makes a huge deal out of keeping it secret.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Megazver posted:

I mean who cares tbh.

People who want context? Like, poo poo, I can't read Japanese so I wouldn't have known if that's a new manga volume release, an anime, some spinoff, whatever if no one said anything

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I'm not sure bookworm would translate well to an anime.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm not sure bookworm would translate well to an anime.

I'm curious about how they have the VA for Ferdinand in the announcement. He's one of the biggest characters in the series, but he doesn't even show up until part 2, and part 1 is beefy enough they can't exactly plow through it in a few episodes. Either they're going for a long series or they're going to try starting from the middle somehow.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i found the setting of savage divinity interesting enough, but i just couldn't bring myself to like the mc. there's no one thing i can point to for why i didn't like him, either.

I'm about 10% of the way through (43 chapters) and it is becoming increasingly clear why the MC was reincarnated as a slave. Nominally an adult mind in a teenager's body his manners and behavior are actually getting worse as the story progresses. There's no real justification for his behavior either. MC antagonizes anyone he meets outside the tribe that adopts him and is increasingly treating women as nothing more than sex objects. When he gets beaten bloody by a woman for it (the duel and subsequent brawl on the way to Society tournament) he doubles down on being disgusting.

Not sure how much longer I'll stick with it. It started super strong so this is really disappointing. Any stories where the MC isn't a terrible person?

Forge/Threads of Destiny MC at least has a concept of right and wrong even if the voters don't always manage to live up to it.

Grimgar characters are all super nice (to other humans) (except for Ranta).

My House of Horrors MC usually does the right thing, or at least stays close to it. Not a cultivation story but good urban horror/mystery.

Cradle MCs usually have justice on their side, although Lindon has been getting increasingly greedy. Poor Eithan Arelius is seriously underappreciated for all the help he's given them.

Bakanogami posted:

I'm curious about how they have the VA for Ferdinand in the announcement. He's one of the biggest characters in the series, but he doesn't even show up until part 2, and part 1 is beefy enough they can't exactly plow through it in a few episodes. Either they're going for a long series or they're going to try starting from the middle somehow.
You could pretty easily start with part 2; especially if you give her family less screen-time.

A lot of part 1 could be compressed because it is mostly her trying and failing to make paper a dozen different ways. I don't know how you'd make that interesting as a TV show. If you cut it out its not really bookworm anymore though.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm curious to find out how Eithan came up with, or learned, the "Heaven and Earth Purification Wheel" (or whatever it's called) cycling technique, since his massive madra stores seem like the entire basis of his relatively high power relative to other Underlord-level sacred artists and he makes a huge deal out of keeping it secret.

He's from another continent. It probably ties back to that. The Arelius family in the Blackflame empire has always seemed like a weaker cadet branch of the main family that Eithan comes from. As underscored by needing one of the Arelius from Eithan's part of the family to be their Underlord and leader.

I think Eithan is less concerned about keeping the cycling technique secret than him having pure madra secret. Although wasn't there one line where Eithan said the "Heaven and Earth Purification Wheel" technique was worth killing for? Seems weird since other breathing techniques have their own advantages. Better regen speed or faster cultivation or weird esoteric things like Lindon's core-splitting technique.

I wonder what Eithan could do with Lindon's empty palm technique. I'm surprised he hasn't asked to learn it yet. It's been surprisingly useful for Lindon even with always having to find some way to punch up. I bet he could go toe to toe with blood shadow types if he had it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

I think Eithan is less concerned about keeping the cycling technique secret than him having pure madra secret. Although wasn't there one line where Eithan said the "Heaven and Earth Purification Wheel" technique was worth killing for? Seems weird since other breathing techniques have their own advantages. Better regen speed or faster cultivation or weird esoteric things like Lindon's core-splitting technique.

I wonder what Eithan could do with Lindon's empty palm technique. I'm surprised he hasn't asked to learn it yet. It's been surprisingly useful for Lindon even with always having to find some way to punch up. I bet he could go toe to toe with blood shadow types if he had it.

It's definitely about the technique itself, rather than hiding Eithan's pure madra. Lindon even chooses not to use it with Dross in his core in order to prevent Dross from seeing it, so Eithan obviously made a huge deal about keeping the technique itself secret, not just the fact that Eithan told him the technique (and the technique isn't just related to pure madra - it has the effect of massively increasing one's madra stores regardless of the type of madra).

The way Eithan explained the choice to expand madra stores made sense - he basically said that you can accomplish stuff like "faster regeneration" or "faster cultivation" through other means, like elixirs/pills, but there's no way to expand your total amount of madra other than expanding your core. And having more madra to draw from is simply more useful during a fight. I get the impression that Eithan specifically doesn't want the technique to get out because access to it is a huge advantage for him/Lindon, though there could be something else to it.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

You could pretty easily start with part 2; especially if you give her family less screen-time.

A lot of part 1 could be compressed because it is mostly her trying and failing to make paper a dozen different ways. I don't know how you'd make that interesting as a TV show. If you cut it out its not really bookworm anymore though.

I don't wanna say anything for fear of raw spoilers, but in the long run cutting out her development with her family would definitely not be a good idea from a narrative perspective.

And if they're going to skip over the early stuff and right into the middle of the story, they'd be more likely to skip to somewhere later like part 4, which is the most popular part of the story among the Japanese fanbase and where most of the fanart and stuff focuses on, as well as where the print version is currently adapting.

Maybe it's just going to be an OVA or something depicting a few certain scenes rather than a full on series?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I read through Chrysalis recently. It was mentioned in the English web serial thread but I think it's another one that fits this thread more. Reincarnation as an ant where the rest of the colony plays a major part in the story. For a monster reincarnation story it has had a relatively slow power progression and an MC who isn't solely focused on improving just himself non-stop, which I think are definite positives.

It's posted on webnovel daily and mirrored to royalroad with an inconsistent schedule, but RR was just recently caught up.

The snake report was also mentioned but it falls off a cliff midway through book one (when goblins show up) and hasn't recovered, so I stopped reading it after I caught up. It feels like the author simply let the character get too powerful and had no idea how to write around it, so got into a holding pattern of repetitive attempts at humour then tried to reset everything in book two. It did not work.

LLSix posted:

Underlord epilogue spoilers: significant hints were dropped that Eithan was closely related to the deceased Monarch but it avoided any concrete details. We already have Mercy as the direct heir of a living Monarch, so I'd expect Eithan has a slightly more complicated backstory just to be different, but we can probably assume he had favoured treatment and access to the good techniques. It matches up with his personality; he's really used to getting his way, spends resources with reckless abandon, and rarely takes things as seriously as the rest of the cast.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

LLSix posted:

I'm about 10% of the way through (43 chapters) and it is becoming increasingly clear why the MC was reincarnated as a slave. Nominally an adult mind in a teenager's body his manners and behavior are actually getting worse as the story progresses. There's no real justification for his behavior either. MC antagonizes anyone he meets outside the tribe that adopts him and is increasingly treating women as nothing more than sex objects. When he gets beaten bloody by a woman for it (the duel and subsequent brawl on the way to Society tournament) he doubles down on being disgusting.

Not sure how much longer I'll stick with it. It started super strong so this is really disappointing. Any stories where the MC isn't a terrible person?

Song Shuhang is a thoroughly decent person, but playing straight man to all the wacky wizards in the world sort of requires it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, Cultivation Chat Group's Song Shuhang is very pleasant. In my mind's eye he's a teenage Asian Tom Hanks or, perhaps, young Jackie Chan.

Library of Heaven's Path's Zhang Xuan is a good boy who just tries to keep low profile and not show off too much, and is usually very generous and forgiving to those he's beaten.

Release That Witch's Roland is mostly a kind, benign ruler and he does send some aristos and lumpens to the coal mines, but that's a plus in my book.

My House of Horrors' Chen Ge gets a little... competitive when people challenge him on how scary the Haunted House he runs is, but is otherwise a good person who spends his time fighting to save people from hosed up asian horror creepypasta poo poo.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

We've seen enough light novel adaptations to know that studios aren't afraid to adapt upwards of 4-5 volumes in a 12 episode run

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

HiveCommander posted:

We've seen enough light novel adaptations to know that studios aren't afraid to adapt upwards of 4-5 volumes in a 12 episode run

Part 1 of Honzuki wouldn't fit into a 12 episode season, even if they did that.

"Light Novels" are actually quite tiny books ("Bunkobon", 200-300 pages, 15x10.5 cm).
I don't own Honzuki specifically, but going by the amazon listing, it's the same as the printed releases of other web novels I do own (Kumoko and Log Horizon) which are "Tankoubon"-sized (~400 pages, 18x13 cm).
Basically, each of those volumes has twice as much text as a volume of an average LN because it has more pages and more text per page.
And part 1 of Honzuki is 3 of those volumes on its own. Part 2 is another 4 volumes.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

They could drop half the chapters of arc 1 and I still can't imagine a good stopping point to end a 12 episode run on. If they drop 3/4ths of the chapters maybe they could end it with Maine inventing paper? And that would still be only halfway through the first volume. But if Ferdinand is in there maybe they're adapting a later arc; a lot of isekais start with the MC as a noble so maybe they're gonna go straight to arc 3 or 4.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they could do an insane, breakneck adaptation like knights & magic. they'd just have to speed up the dialogue until all you can hear is a constant shrill tone.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ending point is another thing to consider. Even if they’re adapting a later arc, I think part 1 is the only one that doesn’t end on some kind of cliffhanger.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Wonder if we'll get licensed LN translations for honzuki at some point. I'm not sure how I feel about an anime for it, since at least for the stuff that's been translated, i think the anime would be really boring. It just feels like something that's better to read than watch

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Wow, it's getting at least as far as halfway through arc 2. This has to be a 26 episode season, right? Animation looks... passable. Not top tier, but it's not the most action-packed of stories anyway so I don't think I'll mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfPyxG-ZbFM

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Yay~!
New cast is a bit sad, changing from the drama CDs, but it's a common enough story.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Argue posted:

Wow, it's getting at least as far as halfway through arc 2. This has to be a 26 episode season, right? Animation looks... passable. Not top tier, but it's not the most action-packed of stories anyway so I don't think I'll mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfPyxG-ZbFM

Yeah, they're definitely starting at the beginning and a couple shots are definitely from a bit more than halfway through part 2. There is no loving way in hell they could cover that much material in a 13 episode series, even if they make wild cuts right and left.

It also implies they might be ending at the end of part 2 which is uh, a very...interesting place to stop, to say the least. Like I'm not sure if that's the best point to end it or the absolute worst place to end it.

I'm worried, the character designs feel off compared to the manga or novels, the animation doesn't look all that great, and Maine's voice isn't really clicking for me. I hope this turns out good. :ohdear:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It could end at the dream world bit we see at the end of the trailer which would feel appropriately season finale-ish. Agreed on the concerns but I'm hoping for the best.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If nothing else, points for doing something interesting with the standard-substandard "This is how I Yusuke Urameshi'd myself here" bit that Isikai have to do by law.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm bummed out now that I'm all caught up with Cradle, and the next book is likely going to be one of the most exciting ones yet (since it'll be the first one where Lindon really steps out into the world as a whole). I've been spoiled by all these web serials that release at a breakneck pace.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

If nothing else, points for doing something interesting with the standard-substandard "This is how I Yusuke Urameshi'd myself here" bit that Isikai have to do by law.

What does "Yusuke Urameshi'd myself " mean? I've seen Yu Yu Hakusho and have no idea.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003
It's when you dive in front of a truck to save a child.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I'm bummed out now that I'm all caught up with Cradle, and the next book is likely going to be one of the most exciting ones yet (since it'll be the first one where Lindon really steps out into the world as a whole). I've been spoiled by all these web serials that release at a breakneck pace.

Honestly, Unsouled camed out in july 2016. If 6 books in less than 3 years isn't "breakneck pace", well.... I would say any faster and there is no way the writer could keep any semblance of quality up.

Also, personally much more excited for Yerin and Eithan to be teaming up and beating up people without Lindon. Really hoping we get a lot of that.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tsubasa2004 posted:

Sadly isekai transporter hasn't been translated in months

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Arkeus posted:

Honestly, Unsouled camed out in july 2016. If 6 books in less than 3 years isn't "breakneck pace", well.... I would say any faster and there is no way the writer could keep any semblance of quality up.

Also, personally much more excited for Yerin and Eithan to be teaming up and beating up people without Lindon. Really hoping we get a lot of that.

They're really short books.

Tsubasa2004 posted:

Thank you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arkeus posted:

Oh, I'm not complaining about it being the author's fault; it's more that the unedited nature of web serials results in a ludicrous release rate (and isn't Will Wight also working on some other series at the same time currently)?

One thing I'm curious about is whether Lindon and Yerin together could actually beat Eithan now. Eithan is a strong Underlord, but the Emperor seemed to think that he could just handle 3-4 of the enemy Underlords, and Lindon/Yerin are probably both among the stronger Underlords. If Mercy were added to the mix it wouldn't even be a competition, but that would be a bit unfair.

I'm also wondering how Eithan is supposed to keep up with Lindon/Yerin, unless there's just a 20 year timeskip or something, since he has apparently been an Underlord until the age of 34. I guess it could just be the case that your visual age "freezes" when you're reforged in soulfire, so Lindon/Yerin are frozen as these sort of 20-ish looking young adults (it said they looked older after going Underlord).

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, I'm not complaining about it being the author's fault; it's more that the unedited nature of web serials results in a ludicrous release rate (and isn't Will Wight also working on some other series at the same time currently)?

One thing I'm curious about is whether Lindon and Yerin together could actually beat Eithan now. Eithan is a strong Underlord, but the Emperor seemed to think that he could just handle 3-4 of the enemy Underlords, and Lindon/Yerin are probably both among the stronger Underlords. If Mercy were added to the mix it wouldn't even be a competition, but that would be a bit unfair.

I'm also wondering how Eithan is supposed to keep up with Lindon/Yerin, unless there's just a 20 year timeskip or something, since he has apparently been an Underlord until the age of 34. I guess it could just be the case that your visual age "freezes" when you're reforged in soulfire, so Lindon/Yerin are frozen as these sort of 20-ish looking young adults (it said they looked older after going Underlord).

Well, my pet theory is that Eithan kept himself under overlord because he was waiting for that tournament, so he wouldn't have been going 'slow'.

Also, apparently Lords do age slower, with Sage or those above Archlord aging much, much slower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Arkeus posted:

Regardless of how the word count comparison, web serials offer the element of always having something to read, even if you can digest it pretty quickly.