Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

President Ark posted:

it's been all but outright stated the demiurge incubus got his key from was auntie maya (the lady with the not-a-sword-but-still-a-sword) and that she abdicated for Reasons™

Maybe she didn't want to deal with fighting Incubus in probate court.

I still like the idea of Incubus as a trophy spouse, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

President Ark posted:

she saw the shape of the universe which seems to mean "her mind was exposed to knowledge of all events, everywhere, past and future included" in K6BD terms

she also wants to die as a result of this

and like roland jones said, it's hilarious that a suicidal omniscient with no ability or desire to interact with the rest of the universe still feels the need to call incubus a tool

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dmitri-9 posted:

Gog-Agog got even weirder in her second appearance. At first she just imitated the last person who spoke but now she has a very childlike persona.

She has a lot of gimmick accounts OP

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

avshalom is gog-agog? Makes sense.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
my understanding is that incubus basically grew up in maya's army during the universal war

i think at some point shortly before, during, or possibly some time after the creation of the pact i think maya decided actually no gently caress this im unhappy as hell and yeeted out, leaving her key on her throne

incubus then took both the key and control of her army and holdings, was rebuffed by the other demiurges, and has apparently spent the entire time since trying to prove hes a real demiurge instead of trying to rule an empire. his seventh of creation is a mad max hellhole according to abbadon iirc

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
has anyone mentioned Mammom referring to Zoss, the Conquering King who slew all the gods and angels and basically wrecked the entirety of Throne as "that old rapscallion" because for some reason that just makes me love grandpa dragon even more :allears:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Abaddon once described Incubus' concept as like a 'curdled hero' - someone who was the Chosen One of his story, at some point. I don't know if that's current, but I like the image of Incubus rising to face Maya and claim her key, triumphant and burning with Chosen One ambition, and then she just throws the thing at him and leaves to get shitfaced.

And Incubus is left as one of the gods of the seven part world, but also never got his final boss battle or any respect.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
i super appreciate that gog-agog's halo is floaty green goop.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
other demiurges have flames, she has a melted candle

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oxxidation posted:

and like roland jones said, it's hilarious that a suicidal omniscient with no ability or desire to interact with the rest of the universe still feels the need to call incubus a tool

Yep. She's pretty much the divine equivalent of an infirm, wheelchair-bound/bedridden centenarian, and nevertheless the moment she saw Incubus for the first time in who knows how long she put all the effort she could into basically yelling "gently caress you" at him. I really want to know just what it is that makes the others all that disdainful of him.

When we first saw her and learned of her prophecy, my theory for Jadis was that she totally knows that Zaid isn't the successor but, whether as part of a deliberate deception or simply not caring to correct them, was allowing the other Demiurges to believe he is because she wants Allison to obliterate them all. While we've since learned that at least some others are in fact aware that Allison is the true successor (and a new idea I really like is that most or all of them actually know it but think the others don't and are planning around how to use that knowledge for themselves), this still allows for Jadis to be looking forward to Allison loving up all these assholes she's had to deal with for centuries, if not millennia.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Joe Slowboat posted:

Abaddon once described Incubus' concept as like a 'curdled hero' - someone who was the Chosen One of his story, at some point. I don't know if that's current, but I like the image of Incubus rising to face Maya and claim her key, triumphant and burning with Chosen One ambition, and then she just throws the thing at him and leaves to get shitfaced.

And Incubus is left as one of the gods of the seven part world, but also never got his final boss battle or any respect.

Im thinking more that she threw the key at him said gently caress it and tried to leave.
Incubus didnt like this, so he tried to forcefully fight her, then she curbstomped him hard and left on her way.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
One thing to remember is that, unless I'm wrong, we don't really have a scope for how long the Universal War raged on for until only the 7 were left.

Also yeah, the feeling I get with Incubus is simply that, as far as the other demiurges are concerned, he didn't earn it like they did, so while everyone disrespects Gog-Agog as a demiurge, they don't even see him as one of their own. Which correlates to the idea that Auntie Maya literally just went "gently caress this" at some point and tossed him the key on her way out. If we're going with the curdled hero, I can absolutely see it as him being a grand hero of the Middle Army and fighting and working his way up to the top as a master swordsman, ready to finally challenge Maya...and then she just gives up before he can challenge her.

Contra
Aug 31, 2003
L(
I see the idea that Maya abdicated here pretty often but i always got the impression that she was somehow cheated, tricked or otherwise forced out by Incubus. Jadis, who knows everything, calls it a stolen throne and during Incubus and Jagganoth's secret war meeting he says something like "Oh yeah? What's she gonna do about it??" which wouldn't make a ton of sense to say about someone who willingly handed off power. Did I miss something in the comic or somewhere on the Tumblr that points in that direction?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

or, given how mauled he is, he fought and lost and had the key slammed into his head regardless

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Contra posted:

I see the idea that Maya abdicated here pretty often but i always got the impression that she was somehow cheated, tricked or otherwise forced out by Incubus. Jadis, who knows everything, calls it a stolen throne and during Incubus and Jagganoth's secret war meeting he says something like "Oh yeah? What's she gonna do about it??" which wouldn't make a ton of sense to say about someone who willingly handed off power. Did I miss something in the comic or somewhere on the Tumblr that points in that direction?

There are a lot of ways the current cast has earned their keys or at least their initial stations as demiurges. Mottom killed her husband in his sleep; Mammon literally bought his and paid off people to kill off his rivals. Neither of these speaks to a great deal of direct physical prowess, arguably both are pretty loving cowardly, but it does speak to a certain canniness and will to power. So thematically it fits that Incubus, somehow, did not get his in a way that displays that.

Basically, if Incubus had legitimately cheated or tricked or otherwise outsmarted/outplayed Maya for her key, that would be a legitimate succession to power even if it didn't involve directly besting her, but given their contempt and the specific tone of their contempt it stands to reason that he not do that for whatever reason. He clearly wanted it, but he didn't want it badly enough to actually make a move, instead waiting for Maya to just up and leave for whatever reason or under whatever circumstance lead to that.

Reene fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 7, 2019

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
yisun

is-one

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
would you say that each of the seven so far has seemed rather burdened

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Contra posted:

it hasn't been covered in the comic but yeah it's been pretty explicit in the metatext that Maya just bailed on her position one day. The rest don't see it that way but well obviously they can't imagine anyone would just walk away from being a demiurge

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

make mockery posted:

would you say that each of the seven so far has seemed rather burdened

Well none of them seem happy about their state of existence I can say that much.

Incubus puts on a brave face/healthy body but only for Alison. Gog is basically "The Joker" version of happy. Solomon lives in denial. Mottom is actively rotting and fast. Senility has stuck the dragon. Crystal lady is clearly unhappy (probably has a heck of an itchy nose) and Jagganoth is working to bring about the destruction of everything, which I take to mean he isn't happy either.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Contra posted:

I see the idea that Maya abdicated here pretty often but i always got the impression that she was somehow cheated, tricked or otherwise forced out by Incubus. Jadis, who knows everything, calls it a stolen throne and during Incubus and Jagganoth's secret war meeting he says something like "Oh yeah? What's she gonna do about it??" which wouldn't make a ton of sense to say about someone who willingly handed off power.

IMO he was her trophy spouse and then he got the keys as part of the divorce settlement because he had a very good lawyer.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mimesweeper posted:

has anyone mentioned Mammom referring to Zoss, the Conquering King who slew all the gods and angels and basically wrecked the entirety of Throne as "that old rapscallion" because for some reason that just makes me love grandpa dragon even more :allears:

I imagine he even rolled the initial 'r'.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Cat Mattress posted:

IMO he was her trophy spouse and then he got the keys as part of the divorce settlement because he had a very good lawyer.

She got the blade of want and the shirt on her back, he got everything else.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Brought To You By posted:

I imagine he even rolled the initial 'r'.

Thanks, he's speaking in Sean Connery's voice forever in my head now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My bet for why Maya abdicated is her name - "Murder the Gods and Topple Their Thrones." That was what she was working on with the middle army, and when the war ended with the ceasefire she was like, "gently caress this, no, I was here to kill all you fuckers, not become one and maintain the status quo."

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
actually on further thought i think incubus just isnt an original signatory of the pact of the seven part world and thats why they all view him as an upstart

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

make mockery posted:

actually on further thought i think incubus just isnt an original signatory of the pact of the seven part world and thats why they all view him as an upstart

He's in the Pact of the Seven Part World flashback panel.
I don't think he and Maya ever fought because losing to Maya seems intensely lethal.
Think about how Zoss came to meet God, but instead found an empty ruin of heaven: there's a theme in the comic of bursting into a place ready to fight/slay the dragon/etc and what's behind that last door is weirder and less straightforward. It would fit if that happened to Incubus.
"Maya! I've come to challenge - wait what the gently caress where is she"

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
you all forget that incubus is a terrible swordsman

also theres no reason to say that any of the panels in that sequence are to be taken completely literally

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Good noodles are worth more than any kingdoms.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

make mockery posted:

you all forget that incubus is a terrible swordsman

People are forgetting that he's really good at cutting people down and that's all he really cares about? Well, not the cutting part, the wining part. That's what he cares about.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dr Subterfuge posted:

People are forgetting that he's really good at cutting people down and that's all he really cares about? Well, not the cutting part, the wining part. That's what he cares about.

Meti posted:

The weak swordsman clings to victory. He thinks of his life, his obligations, the outcome of the battle, his hatred for his opponent, his training, his pride in his mastery. By doing so, he is an imperfect vessel for the terrible fires of Will. He will surely crack. He will not laugh uproariously if he is cleft in two by his opponent’s blade. When his sword is shattered, his hands will be too reserved to tear his enemies’ flesh.

The weak swordsman strikes his enemy down and thinks his task done. He relishes in victory. He casts away his sword and returns to his lover. Little does he know his single cut will encircle the world five times and strike him down fifty-fold.

Moreover, only the worst kind of idiot strives to be king.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Joe Slowboat posted:

He's in the Pact of the Seven Part World flashback panel.

That doesn't necessarily mean that's how it happened. I take those flashbacks as more representative snapshots of events then actual 100% accurate depictions of them happening.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean that's how it happened. I take those flashbacks as more representative snapshots of events then actual 100% accurate depictions of them happening.

Sure, but I thought it worth mentioning in any case.
Especially since Maya is strongly implied to have been there at the beginning of he Second Conquest, which leaves a lot of space for Incubus to have emerged during the war like Solomon and ended up a signatory.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Magnus Manfist posted:

The universal war was everyone vs absolutely everyone until only the 7 remained, formed a tentative truce and split the keys evenly

I'm not sure if the pact came when there were only seven left - I had the impression that the war raged until there were only a handful (but more than these seven), and then these made a pact to get together, defeat the others together because they couldn't do it alone, and split the winnings.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Isn't there a panel showing a younger Mottom, Jadis, Incubus, etc. All hanging out with Zoss in the background?

It may be just metaphorical but it seems to imply the Seven were once allies of a sort.

Malpais Legate fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 7, 2019

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MonsieurChoc posted:

Good noodles are worth more than any kingdoms.

poo poo, going to get some noodles now

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Incubus is a poor swordsman, but he is very good at winning swordfights. Maybe he's even the proverbial undefeated one.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I’m feeling more and more convinced Incubus is the most dangerous of the lot, simply because out of all of them, he’s got a true motivation; Jadis wants to die, Jagganoth wants to do cosmic murder-suicide, Mottom wants to avoid dying, Solomon-David claims he wants to abdicate the throne once a worthy successor arrives but since none are more worthy than he in his perfect judgement that’s not going to happen, Mammon doesn’t even know what the gently caress is happening, and Gog-Agog is nuts. Incubus, though? He wants to win everything.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Roland Jones posted:

Really, what surprised me in this latest comic was Jadis chiming in to slam Incubus.

Was she, though? Or was what she said unrelated and only seemed to be about him?

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
do keep in mind that so far allison has a track record of igniting demiurges back into one-last-go semblances of their former burning selves

cannot wait to see how she turns jadis's world upside-down

i wonder what jadis's morality looks like, actually. like, she has some nightmare theocracy thing going on, what are her commandments? what ways would she deem wicked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Who What Now posted:

Was she, though? Or was what she said unrelated and only seemed to be about him?

I'm of the opinion it applies to all of them (arguably not Jadis because while her throne was stolen, she can't do much so I'm gonna give her a pass on wicked ways).