Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I’m posting it here because I was pretty shocked by it: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tomwarren/wwf-world-wide-fund-nature-parks-torture-death

Certainly not the first US-based organization to fund atrocities abroad, but if I had made a list of ones likely to do so, WWF would not have been on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

I'm for once happy that Dem leadership is spineless in the face of any heat whatsoever.

https://twitter.com/rollcall/status/1103118831927652352

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Insanite posted:

I'm for once happy that Dem leadership is spineless in the face of any heat whatsoever.

It rules that they're tied up in knots over the tone ("tropes") of Omar's statement but Marco Rubio tweeted a death threat to a world leader and nobody gives a poo poo.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Insanite posted:

The Israel lobby is domineering, and Pelosi I bet doesn't want to rock that ship whilst dealing with Trump. Of course this is the outcome.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Spoeank posted:

It rules that they're tied up in knots over the tone ("tropes") of Omar's statement but Marco Rubio tweeted a death threat to a world leader and nobody gives a poo poo.

Yes, but have you considered how republican he is?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Aside from the whole being a woman, black, muslim, and an immigrant, bit, the real crime of Omar's remarks is that they were completely true and everyone in Washington knows exactly the role that AIPAC plays in American politics.

That anyone even takes the conflation of AIPAC with 'all jews' seriously is a complete farce

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Akumu posted:

I'll repeat myself from USPol but literally all this study says is, if you train your machine vision on detecting white pedestrians, it will be better at detecting white pedestrians than non-white ones. No poo poo. But there's no claim that any actual self-driving cars have been trained in this way.

I hate to get racist adjacent, but the problem is deeper than just "computer scientists are all white". There are major technical hurdles that make identifying a light-skinned person in an image significantly easier than identifying a dark skinned person. Spotting a white person is computationally trivial since pasty white skin stands out against most backgrounds and lighting on it provides a useful boundary. The darker the skin, the less defined those boundaries become, especially on the cameras used for image recognition and the complexity of identifying the face increases exponentially. I know several people working on image recognition based technologies who are are trying to deal with this problem and it is not as easy as just putting more black people into testing.

That said, understanding that the problem isn't as simple as "racism!" doesn't mean that it's not vital to address it. This is something that has to be dealt with for any commercial product before selling it to consumers and a lot of people have jumped the gun (that's something I would put down to institutionalized racism).

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

I am not an expert but I would expect that robo cars will be better at detecting all varieties of pedestrians than human drivers despite this issue because they have additional sensors like lidar and don't depend solely on vision like we do.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just means the people making this stuff ought to be designing to the most difficult parameters, like building a bridge to withstand the upper limit of spec weight + 20% or whatever. You know, doing actual engineering

Forgetting black people exist or considering them an edge case is like saying “let’s hope nobody ever wants to drive a big rig on this thing”

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

If big rigs were PoC that’s exactly what we’d have.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Just means the people making this stuff ought to be designing to the most difficult parameters, like building a bridge to withstand the upper limit of spec weight + 20% or whatever. You know, doing actual engineering

You start by solving the easy part of the problem and then you work on the more difficult aspects. Or to use your bridge analogy, start by designing something that will stay up then work on making it stay up under extreme loads.

What you don't do is start building the bridge while your engineers are still working on solving the problem because those big trucks don't really matter.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

I am not an expert but I would expect that robo cars will be better at detecting all varieties of pedestrians than human drivers despite this issue because they have additional sensors like lidar and don't depend solely on vision like we do.

They lack the human ability to make inferences though. The stereotypical example is a person can see a ball bounce across the street or a parent scrambling to get up while yelling and preemptively slow down because they know a kid is probably about to do something really dumb. The car won't know until the kid actually jumps out from behind a parked car.

These systems are best used as supplements to a human driver, where they perform fantastically. The human uses their judgement to slow the car a bit when they see the ball and when the kid jumps out the car systems brake faster and harder than any human ever could. Neither works as well as the combination.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I’m posting it here because I was pretty shocked by it: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tomwarren/wwf-world-wide-fund-nature-parks-torture-death

Certainly not the first US-based organization to fund atrocities abroad, but if I had made a list of ones likely to do so, WWF would not have been on it.

Unfortunately this story shouldn't surprise anyone involved in international conservation. In many of the most remote reserves Park Rangers are a basically a law unto themselves. The 1988 film Gorillas in the Mist even include scenes in which Sigourney Weaver, depicting an American researcher, burns down a village/camp and stages a mock execution of a captured poacher. When there's no local law enforcement, people resort to settling problems through raw force and intimidation. It's a situation ripe for abuse.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

You would expect that, and you would be wrong. Remember that the logic for how to interpret those signals is being written by humans, under time pressure and trying to find a sensitivity setting that doesn't cause the vehicle to refuse to operate in traffic.

All under the corporate umbrella of venture capital funded 'disruptors' who need to have a working prototype on the road far before it's ready in order to fuel the next round of funding.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 6, 2019

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Liquid Communism posted:

You would expect that, and you would be wrong. Remember that the logic for how to interpret those signals is being written by humans, under time pressure and trying to find a sensitivity setting that doesn't cause the vehicle to refuse to operate in traffic.

All under the corporate umbrella of venture capital funded 'disruptors' who need to have a working prototype on the road far before it's ready in order to fuel the next round of funding.

It's a bunch of white guys in a room trying to figure out how to get it to detect people. They run tests on themselves. It works. Declare victory!

I'm sure a lot of the time there's not a single minority in the room where these are being developed, so it just doesn't dawn upon them.

Not defending it, I've just been taught to never assume malice when mere incompetence will do!

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Well yeah. I was talking about potential. Of course it will be done in the quickest, crappiest possible way that a corporation thinks they can get away with. I just meant that the car could have ways of detecting pedestrians that don't rely on visual information and would not be thrown off by race or appearance.

Roll Fizzlebeef fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 7, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Relentless posted:

It's a bunch of white guys in a room trying to figure out how to get it to detect people. They run tests on themselves. It works. Declare victory!

I'm sure a lot of the time there's not a single minority in the room where these are being developed, so it just doesn't dawn upon them.

Not defending it, I've just been taught to never assume malice when mere incompetence will do!

Sometimes the problem is just more difficult for certain looks.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/Jeopardy/status/1103416223331569664

Alex Trebek has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. :smith:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like ICE and Trump were targeting journalists and activists who were covering the Caravan

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Well that's sad to hear. A few years ago a co-worker of mine was on Jeopardy while she was dying of stage 4 colon cancer. It's inspiring, but sad, to see Alex fight to the end like she did. :smith:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Relentless posted:

Do you work in software development? Because I've never seen a coastal dev team with more than like six people that didn't have an Indian person on it.

Indian isn't black, so the point stands, but tech companies making any effort to hire actual talent tend to end up at least a little multi ethnic.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

You're all acting like machine vision is a solved problem, let alone the issue of recognition algorithms laundering creator bias.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Relentless posted:

Every tech office I've seen has a bunch of Indian dudes in it these days. Tech as a sector may not accurately mirror US population demographics, but it's much more diverse than just a bunch of white guys, especially at the engineer level where all the actual work is done.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

ReidRansom posted:

Every tech office I've seen has a bunch of Indian dudes in it these days. Tech as a sector may not accurately mirror US population demographics, but it's much more diverse than just a bunch of white guys, especially at the engineer level where all the actual work is done.

Depends on the part of the country I guess. Where I'm at in the MN, it's pretty gross how few engineers I've worked with that are not white dudes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also depends on the industry. Entrenched tech like financial: 95% Indian. Hipster startups: 95% white.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Also depends on the industry. Entrenched tech like financial: 95% Indian. Hipster startups: 95% white.

Then where are the rest of the Asians

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ad tech

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Human driven cars don't recognize black pedestrians either.

https://trec.pdx.edu/news/research-investigates-racially-disparate-crosswalk-interactions

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I kinda feel its hubritic if thats a word to assume we can solve a problem it took evolution hundreds of millions of years to do in the next 10 years

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I kinda feel its hubritic if thats a word to assume we can solve a problem it took evolution hundreds of millions of years to do in the next 10 years

And yet airplanes can fly.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

And yet airplanes can fly.

So long as you have the petro-chemicals formed over that time to blow on its brief state of being airborne.

Probably why evolution hasn’t equipped our planet with very many specie of whale-hawks.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 8, 2019

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Peacoffee posted:

So long as you have the petro-chemicals formed over that time to blow on its brief state of being airborne.

Probably why evolution hasn’t equipped our planet with very many specie of whale-hawks.

Imagine a quetzalcoatlus making GBS threads on your car.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

the far easier solution is to keep people out of the robot-spaces. this is why many robotic machine tools have sensors which deactivate the machine if a person reaches into the danger zone, or enters the safety cage. you'll get in big trouble if you go into a subway tunnel. more complex autonomous "lights out" warehouses ban humans from the robot working space while the robots are in operation

it is a completely silly idea to try to put large, fast moving robots into an uncontrolled space inhabited by people but folks have such a fetish for technology and self driving cars that they don't care if pedestrians get killed, they'll just say the person should have stayed out of the road/crosswalk/sidewalk/yard/really everyone should just stay indoors

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Imagine a quetzalcoatlus making GBS threads on your car.

Imagine every one riding their own like cowboys.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1103807154186870786

Man, our justice system is hosed up

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

loving outrageous!

EDIT: He has another sentencing coming up though, so still seems likely he'll die in prison even if that judge is lenient too.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 8, 2019

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

In addition to all the obvious problems with this sentencing, why *47*?????

Was that last month to make it an even 4 years excessive or something? Where did this really specific number come from?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

loving outrageous!

EDIT: He has another sentencing coming up though, so still seems likely he'll die in prison even if that judge is lenient too.

The judge who sentenced him today was insanely hostile to the prosecution from the beginning of the case, and actually had to publicly apologize for being so unprofessional. He's a notorious hack.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
If I recall, it was his DC sentencing that he broke the plea bargain on and stands to go to foreverjail for, and the judge there was significantly less on his side, so keep that in mind before descending into a quagmire of nothing matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Xiahou Dun posted:

In addition to all the obvious problems with this sentencing, why *47*?????

Was that last month to make it an even 4 years excessive or something? Where did this really specific number come from?

It's a signal to the ICA