Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Ritznit posted:

Only complaint: Is the space pimple your aesthetic or why did you take a bunch of pics with your frames being infected by it? :v:
I've got the infection on every single frame to spread the chance to make a goofy tentacle dog without having to worry about playing a specific carrier. I may have spent more on tennogen than on plat but it's just never bothered me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Adolf Glitter posted:

I was just going to to ask about making Plat, as other than buying part the next Prime Access thing which I guess is due soon, I'm not spending any more cash.
I'll look into fish as you mentioned for sure, but I can't find your post. I looked as far back as November so I probably just missed it.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So when I started playing this a month ago the biggest hurdle I had as a new free-to-play player was figuring out how to get platinum without spending a cent, judging by how many posts on each page are about a lack of funds or waiting for a coupon to spend cash for a little platinum I thought I'd make a little guide on what you can do as a new player to get plat from trading and getting access to the items people will actually pay for.

I want to start off the guide by saying the most important thing you can do as a new player is to advance your mastery rank and starchart and do whatever is needed to access and complete junctions, you'll be able to do invasions, alerts, fissures, sorties with valuable rewards and have access to missions which will obsolete endo and credit alerts in terms of rewards, with the index solving all credit problems immediately and forever.
As for mastery rank, that could be it's own guide, but in short, craft everything you can that doesn't require a forma or absurd materials and then sell it for credits after you level it to 30 and it isn't used as a crafting component for another weapon, use the wiki and keep a eye on this list of weapons http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Weapons_Required_as_Crafting_Ingredients to avoid having to re-craft anything like I had to do a few times, keep one good weapon of each weapon type like hek for shotgun, dread for bow, atomos for pistol, ect, slots are too limited until you earn plat to be filled with stuff you actually want to keep around.

With that out of the way, here are your methods to acquire platinum early on, I'd recommend using https://warframe.market/ for selling the majority of your stuff.

Relics
Good way to expand your arsenal and your wallet, the relics themselves can be traded and even the lowliest reward can be sold for 3-5p, people usually buy up junk pieces five at a time or the whole item set and you might get lucky with a random person bringing in a valuable drop, you'll eventually after enough time figure out what is valuable, but the short version for what to pick out of a reward is either go for what everyone else is or:
Pick the old vaulted item if you recognize one > Gold item > Silver Item > Bronze item > Forma blueprint
If your aiming for a specific rare item out of a relic, use void traces to make it radiant and use clan and recruit chat to find 3 other people who also want that rare item out of their relic, gives you 4 chances to get it at the best odds.
Good place to find relics are spy missions or endless missions like defense, interception.

Syndicate Reputation
While appearing daunting to a new player from info overload and daunting early sacrifices of credits, forma and catalysts to rank up, they are worth leveling up for more available stuff to buy and higher reputation gains from missions.
Which syndicate to pick? Pick three on the left or the right of your choosing, if you pick one side you can trade for parts from the other side, I'd recommend starting with either Suda/Hexis or Loka/Perrin since you get 50% reputation for the other.
For the missions themselves you want to collect up to 8 symbols hidden on most of the missions, even if they aren't the more valuable rare symbols you'll gain more then the base reputation from the mission from them, grab Loot detector/Thief's Wit/Animal Instinct/Vacuum on your best loot box destroying weapon or warframe, with Limbo being the ideal warframe but Khora or Excalibur working just fine too, break everything with a white icon, if it isn't broken, pick it up, also a good way to find and learn the spawn locations of ayatan sculptures.
For making plat from syndicates, as soon as you have access to the archwing weapon parts early you have something people will pay for, on average you'll get 14-16p for archwing parts and mods from syndicates for 20-25k rep and 40p for the weapons for 100-125k rep, you might even find something you want to use yourself.

Cetus Plains
The plains are a love it or hate it place from my experience and everyone will eventually need something from there, I don't mind doing the missions and gathering on it, lot of people hate it and will pay you massive amounts of plat to get the most basic of materials, be sure to start gaining daily cetus reputation early on to gain access to the better fishing and mining tools, most fish will sell for 2p each, 3p for large, most gems will be 1-2p each until you have the best mining laser.
As for bounties that's where you get the best money, the final 3 tiers of bounties give you some good rewards, focus lenses are something everyone including yourself will need and sell well, the relics sell well, you can get a sudden windfall with a rare mod like augur secrets and sell it for 80p+ and the uncommon mods like augur reach sell well too.
When you eventually cap out Cetus reputation you can turn the excess into exodia blueprints to craft and sell or make zaws for yourself which are top tier custom melee weapons.

Dragon key Mods and regular mods
Dragon keys: You'll probably want a copy of everything for yourself before you sell anything and it will take a lot of runs, but the good mods can be worth 20-25p each with usually fast exploration based runs and you don't need to be very strong or far into the game to do them, just wiki how to get the blueprints for the dragon keys from the clan and map blueprints from the market, you will need some void traces but not many.
For regular mods, the things of value will be sub 5% droprate from uncommonly run areas or rare enemies, but if you are acquiring a lot of mods from doing a lot of index runs, consider tossing 4 rare mods at a time into the transmuter and pray to RNG to get one of the rare or uncommon mods worth 10-60p, it's how I filled out a lot of my more niche mods for pets and archwings and sold off duplicate condition overloads, berserker, lifestrike, bite, link health and so on, it only costs credits and endo to transmute and the returns are potentially platinum.

Sorties
Available after war within, don't worry if your not pulling your weight well on them because most people doing them can solo them, the lowliest tradeable reward from them is around 20p and a top end of a 80p veiled riven mod or lottery win of a legendary core for a few hundred plat, you'll get a free riven from doing the quest to unlock sorties which you can sell as-is to someone for a decent payout if you don't want to gamble it by unveiling it, do your sorties every day.

Resource Boosters
Either by getting it randomly from the daily login or a 3 day boost from a sortie or just spending the 200 plat on a 30 day booster after you already acquired a bit of plat, it can pay for itself in short order and make a few materials less grindy to acquire, here are a few things a resource booster would work on that can be turned into plat directly or indirectly:
  • Fish
  • Gems
  • Cetus Wisps
  • Kuva
  • Void Traces for more Radiant relics and more rares to sell
I would also recommend working towards getting a Smeeta Kavat anytime you go to the plains or kuva missions because of it's random chance to give you a 2 minute resource doubler, which doubles the doubling you double from the resource boost for 4 wisps/fish/gems every time you find one or giving a free mission worth of kuva.

For the longest time I had no idea what people were actually interested in buying but after figuring it out I can quickly use up all my trades each day and never have to worry about platinum, with this info to help you along you too can become a Adventure Capitalist!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I've got the infection on every single frame to spread the chance to make a goofy tentacle dog without having to worry about playing a specific carrier. I may have spent more on tennogen than on plat but it's just never bothered me.

I’m the opposite. I cured every frame the very second the boil matured except for nidus. I ain’t no plague spreader

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Well, DE have a post up about action they are taking over the Semlar/Riven stuff. https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1066990-riven-trading-toolbuilders-coming-changes/

I still kind of feel that anyone willing to spend tons of plat in a non-competitive game to kill things in .1 seconds instead of .4 seconds needs help and actually capping plat per trade wouldn't be the worst thing. Although then people would just have to make multiple trades for the plat and people would run off with rivens or plat. And the kind of people who do want to min max the game so hard are probably good revenue for DE.

I also feel that I wish DE had never gotten so shy about updating dispos. If they'd been in steady flux it'd be a risky market and the max value of a riven would probably be a lot lower as if it's the new meta it'll tank in power in a month or so. As it is, it seems if you've the capital buying rivens is like investing in property.

Then of course the old "Just have a trading board or auction house dammit." argument. DE have stated they want more player interaction than those provide but I'm not sure if you get that. But being in GOON is not a normal player experience. And again people playing trade chat, or even .market for fun help keep the game flowing. Really wish I could just send people things in the space-mail though.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Raptor1033 posted:

I’m the opposite. I cured every frame the very second the boil matured except for nidus. I ain’t no plague spreader
Yeah, i expect most people do, and it's good that it's so trivial to do. I just know i absolutely adored my stupid freaky tentacle dog when i first started playing v:shobon:v Was the perfect kind of warframe-weird.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Does Adaptation gently caress with the amount of energy you get back from Rage? I'm playing about with a Nidus build and levelling it up in onslaught, but I don't really feel like the amount of energy I get back is particularly huge, and i'm wondering if it's because rage works out its energy refund after the Adaptation DR has been applied (so 90% DR means only 10% of the 40% damage-as-energy)

Nidus absolutely doesn't need Adaptation to become unkillable, and now that Umbral Forma are a thing you don't even need to make any meaningful sacrifices to make him unkillable and still have Rage / Hunter Adrenaline at full effectiveness.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

capping plat per trade is a terrible idea.

"sure, i'm really looking forward to having to find a trustworthy person to act as an escrow or just trust that the other person will fork over the other half of the payment once they get their item, that sounds like an absolutely brilliant time"

riven dispos should be set to 1.0 across the board forever, followed by buffs to bad weapons and (if absolutely unavoidable) nerfs to too-good ones. making actual weapon balance the privilege of whales and lottery winners only is one of the dumbest things DE ever did

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah, i expect most people do, and it's good that it's so trivial to do. I just know i absolutely adored my stupid freaky tentacle dog when i first started playing v:shobon:v Was the perfect kind of warframe-weird.

that reminds me, I still don't get how it works. maybe i ran out of pet slots since i just got a female kubrow some months ago.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

capping plat per trade is a terrible idea

riven dispos should be set to 1.0 across the board forever, followed by buffs to bad weapons and (if absolutely unavoidable) nerfs to too-good ones. making weapon balance the privilege of whales is one of the dumbest things DE ever did

:yeah: except gently caress nerfing poo poo; Warframe is at its best when you're flying around at F-Zero-level speeds and making GBS threads out hundred thousand damage crits.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Do all that to riven mods EXCEPT Volnus, because I have an insanely good stat stick for Gara now (180% melee damage, 160? % puncture damage).

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

capping plat per trade is a terrible idea.

"sure, i'm really looking forward to having to find a trustworthy person to act as an escrow or just trust that the other person will fork over the other half of the payment once they get their item, that sounds like an absolutely brilliant time"

riven dispos should be set to 1.0 across the board forever, followed by buffs to bad weapons and (if absolutely unavoidable) nerfs to too-good ones. making actual weapon balance the privilege of whales and lottery winners only is one of the dumbest things DE ever did

That's hard to do because some weapons are simply more useful than others at their design. I wish they would do more full weapon balance passes, though. Even when they do, they change way too little to matter for certain weapons. If we get a full pass only every few years, some weapons will never catch up. For now, I'll take a nice dispo bump for my favorites.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, as I said in that paragraph it wouldn't work because people would just try to trade anyway and people would run off with stuff. Admittedly the cap I'd imagine was 1k plat. Which you'd think would cover most only slightly crazy things.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I sold a Battacor riven for 3500p, which was a very positive experience. It's both hilarious in itself and it bankrolled my boosters and other "I want to play as lazily as possible and barely worry about grinding anything" luxuries for months.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

nerdz posted:

That's hard to do because some weapons are simply more useful than others at their design. I wish they would do more full weapon balance passes, though. Even when they do, they change way too little to matter for certain weapons. If we get a full pass only every few years, some weapons will never catch up. For now, I'll take a nice dispo bump for my favorites.

give weapons dispo for regular mods then

(this is also a dumb idea, but i want to stress that it's still less dumb than rivens)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Honestly I'd sooner have them actually make status on multi-pellet weapons not an unintuitive shitshow, so that status shotguns aren't relegated to "if this can't hit 100% before MS it's completely worthless".

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

In a game where nearly every decision has been a mix of "good" and "hilarious," rivens stand out as both "bad" and "depressing"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I love my rivens, but I also hate rivens.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

In a game where nearly every decision has been a mix of "good" and "hilarious," rivens stand out as both "bad" and "depressing"

I love the idea of rivens, especially when they're used as intended (bumping up underpowered/underrated weapons), while also allowing for pretty cool builds that would be otherwise impossible (my 2 bullet knell with super fast reload says hi). They made me give a chance to extremely underused weapons that are now my favorites. Sometimes you get a pretty amazing roll for a weapon you don't even know and suddenly it's awesome.

When you stay away from the tryhard market (perfect rolls for meta weapons), most rivens go for around 30p and you can even get perfect rolls for non meta weapons for that much because people don't understand how they should be built.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I have no eye for shot comps but a pubbie said they liked my Ivara colors while I was doing Fortuna bounties.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I sold a Battacor riven for 3500p, which was a very positive experience. It's both hilarious in itself and it bankrolled my boosters and other "I want to play as lazily as possible and barely worry about grinding anything" luxuries for months.

I've been sitting on rivens for battacor, vectis and tiberon knowing that they are worth alot, but not knowing how much I should sell them for.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I like the idea of rivens saving C Tier weapons and love the challenges making me figure out cheesy strats using all my tools (my last one was "headshot kills from 100m+" on a shotgun riven) but the market for it seems like an insane whale/sharktank filled with blood and the smell of infinite boredom/greed of sitting on 5 digit plat hoards.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ughhhh posted:

I've been sitting on rivens for battacor, vectis and tiberon knowing that they are worth alot, but not knowing how much I should sell them for.

Per Folrun's riven bot, those are about 210-240p, 240-270p, and 260-290p unrolled, respectively -- but all of them are such that rolling into good stats can signficantly increase their value.

I've sold a couple of Tiberon rivens for ~500p with pretty-good rolls, and I probably could have got more for them if I were more patient (either by rolling them to even better stats, or waiting for a better buyer.)

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I like the idea of rivens saving C Tier weapons and love the challenges making me figure out cheesy strats using all my tools (my last one was "headshot kills from 100m+" on a shotgun riven) but the market for it seems like an insane whale/sharktank filled with blood and the smell of infinite boredom/greed of sitting on 5 digit plat hoards.

Yeah, it's super easy to stay away from it. I usually get the cheapest riven for a weapon I want, sometimes going the extra 10-20 plat for a roll I already like but usually no more than that. Also sometimes you're going for stuff like magazine size+reload speed for a special Javlok throw build and they'll go for super cheap. I really like to get utility rivens that are sidegrades/allow weird builds and not just extra DPS most of the time.

Some people get the idea that rivens suck because other people get perfect ones for meta weapons and they don't and the market is poo poo, but I think the bright side of it is way worth it.

ps: on sniping challenges with shotgun rivens you can use pistol snipers like the knell or arca scisco

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

everyone please channel your power to de so we can get large buff lady frame and massive melee overhauls and quality of life changes today

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
I just pretend I can't buy, sell or trade Rivens so I never have to think of them in any capacity greater than a rare mod.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
DE should make items that let people freeze individual stats on a riven for maybe like many thousands of Kuva. That should help keep riven prices from getting out of control for the perfect rolls while preserving a price floor.

I don’t get enough rivens to really invest anything mentally to it but Diablo 3 got the gambling of stats about right IMO.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
My rivens are my precious, perfect murder babies and I hoard them like gold.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Gitro posted:

If you couldn't leave through the gate it was some weird bug, but I've never seen that happen.

That actually happened to me, but in Orb Vallis, no problems from Cetus yet.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

RoadCrewWorker posted:

(my last one was "headshot kills from 100m+" on a shotgun riven)
Arca Sisco or Ivara shenanigans? :v:

I have unveiled a lot of rivens.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

my last one was "headshot kills from 100m+" on a shotgun riven

Do remember that you don't have to use the weapon the riven is on to do the challenge, you just have to bring it along.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

necrobobsledder posted:

DE should make items that let people freeze individual stats on a riven for maybe like many thousands of Kuva. That should help keep riven prices from getting out of control for the perfect rolls while preserving a price floor.

I don’t get enough rivens to really invest anything mentally to it but Diablo 3 got the gambling of stats about right IMO.

But that would make it "too easy" to get good rivens.

(yes that was a DE employee's excuse for such a feature not existing; god forbid people have good and strong and fun mods. :rolleyes:)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It's fine for there to be literally one-in-a-million uniquely rare mods, especially when realistically speaking they're for squeezing out the last drop of optimization and don't really have an impact proportionate to their cost and rarity.

It's just rivens as a balance mechanism that's bad.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
With how insane the power curve is already, I'm happy that rivens remain a tremendous kuva/plat sink for those who want to chase the dmg/multi/-zoom dragon. I look at them no more than a scratch-off lottery ticket. If a cool one pops out, Il invest a few rolls, if not, into the garbage/give away bin.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

RoadCrewWorker posted:

In the same vein, I got the trophy for killing a guy from like 300m by mind controlling someone with Nyx, and then running away.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Rad cool stuff
Bookmarked!
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.
(ah, I must have given up looking through your posts about a page or 2 before it, lol)

Talking of the whole Riven shenanigans, I think the best thing is the total self own that the arrogant fucker did to himself. The message he sent the guy was atrocious, and it's great to see the whole thing backfire massively in their egotistical faces

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 7, 2019

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

What the heck counts as a rare mod for Nightwave purposes?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Pipski posted:

The yellow ones.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Pipski posted:

Gold mods

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Okay, ta -- but not Corrupted ones irritatingly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010

Pipski posted:

All the mods dropped in Index (gold mods) count for that particular challenge too, took me a whole 2 matches to complete.