Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Oh yeah. I loving love this FrSky gear. Wish they had a pistol grip radio. But I’m getting along fine after installing some gimbal gates on my X10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Before we just go "the bec's are poo poo" Lets cover the reality. They're not "terrible" They're just the size they are. It's like calling a 8mm socket terrible becuase you need a 32mm socket. It's still a good socket, just not the one you need.
No like really i'd brown out the telemetry receiver when I wiggled the factory steering servo.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:siren: AI Secret Santa is up! :siren:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Well... Tonight was race one of the Motiv Midwest Carpet Series. There's a planned 4 races I think.

I ran USGT and VTA.

The track I run at, Windy City RC, is populated by ~really freaking fast~ drivers. (Have I said that before, if I have, consider it emphasis) When I show up at a club race, I'm up against some pretty serious competition. Compared to the locals, I'm pretty slow.

So I have recently found the joy of "big races". When there's multiple qualifiers, I don't end up feeling like I suck, quite so much.

In USGT my first qualifier I ended up cracking a knuckle, and came in last. But only "just". I got progressively better in USGT as the day went on. In the third qualifier, I came in second. Of course, this was with the slow qualifier.

In VTA, everything went pretty well. Including, finishing the B main in second, and getting bumped up to the A main. Where I came in last.

Both cars started pushing as the day went on. I was, hesitant to try to alter that to much. Running on black carpet is quite challenging, and if there's a combination that's not rolling over, care needs to be taken to preserve that.

This, was a good day of racing. I was quite tired by the end of the third main I participated in. I believe the next race is in oshkosh. Thankfully that's not until January. That's gonna be a big trip.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Which chassis were you running?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

2018 Xray T4 for VTA.

Tamiya TA07 for USGT: Swaybars, PSM Graphite chassis, Eagle Racing aluminum bulkheads.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

So.. I built that thing with my daughter the other night. It's a MST TCR. It's a very strange hybrid of pan car and touring car.

Direct drive FWD (though can be configured for MR or RR motor position too.. but there's no class it's legal in with those configurations.) It's also freaky light, under 350g without "accessories" It's currently about 1200g ready to run.

To put a spotlight on how light that is, the minimum weight for USGT is 1350g. Same for IFMAR.

http://realtinker.blogspot.com/2018/12/mst-tcr-it-touring-car-sorta.html

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Interesting. The light weight and (most of the) easy drivetrain management of a pan car, with the easier to manage suspension of a touring car.

Edit: With no shocks? :heh:

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 10, 2018

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Yup, no damping. That's.. wacky. That said, my TT01e, is a lot of fun, and it essentially has no damping... And there's the option of gooping the kingpins with grease...

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Got the Traxxis Bronco crawler today and man is this thing awesome. The biggest thing that jumps out compared to my Jeep SCX10 is the range, it's incredible how far you can go.

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011
My nitro slash shows up tomorrow, can't wait to boogie.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Had to put a license plate on it. Also, have the light kit coming.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Lights installed. That was a lot easier than I anticipated.

My steering servo is making a buzzing noise, when I turn to the left it stops. Any ideas why?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

wandler20 posted:

Lights installed. That was a lot easier than I anticipated.

My steering servo is making a buzzing noise, when I turn to the left it stops. Any ideas why?

Stock servo? They're one of the worst stock servos in the history of crappy stock servos.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Spatule posted:

Stock servo? They're one of the worst stock servos in the history of crappy stock servos.

It is. Any recommendations on an upgrade for when it inevitably fails?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Holmes, reef, savox, powerhd

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

wandler20 posted:

I believe those models have been including a digital servo. Digital servos make a noise, they are constantly centering themselves. Some are more noisy than others. Replacing it when it fails will be good, any of the brands mentioned before would work fine.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Throwing in a recommendation for Promodeler. Small time manufacturer but makes quite nice gear.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kuffs posted:

Throwing in a recommendation for Promodeler. Small time manufacturer but makes quite nice gear.

I saw this one recommended a lot and it looks great but I'm not sure it'll work with my stock setup and 3S battery without burning up the ESC.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I second the PowerHD, Savox options. I use a lot of turnigy servos.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Any high torque servo is gonna require the supporting current from your speedo’s BEC or an external one. I’ve taken to running Holmes 12v servos just to sidestep all of that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wandler20 posted:

I saw this one recommended a lot and it looks great but I'm not sure it'll work with my stock setup and 3S battery without burning up the ESC.
None of the good servos will like your ESC's regulator. Run HV servos or a good regulator (BEC).

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

kuffs posted:

Any high torque servo is gonna require the supporting current from your speedo’s BEC or an external one. I’ve taken to running Holmes 12v servos just to sidestep all of that.

This one? https://www.amainhobbies.com/holmes-hobbies-bls-shv500v2-brushless-12v-crawler-servo-high-voltage-hhbtrmblshv500sv2/p716285

I'm pretty new to all of this so a lot of this is over my head. I appreciate the feed back.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wandler20 posted:

This one? https://www.amainhobbies.com/holmes-hobbies-bls-shv500v2-brushless-12v-crawler-servo-high-voltage-hhbtrmblshv500sv2/p716285

I'm pretty new to all of this so a lot of this is over my head. I appreciate the feed back.
These are great

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

wandler20 posted:

Yeah. I own uhhh 5 of them? Keep in mind that’s a 12v servo and you’ll wanna wire the included JST socket directly to your esc’s battery connector. This will work best with 3s lipo.

I’m on my phone right now so I can’t post a good diagram.

Keep in mind that this is a loving battletank of a servo. Make sure your endpoints are adjusted correctly on your radio to prevent binding.

kuffs fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 21, 2018

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The v2's HV will take 4s directly actually, i have no idea why amain marked it as 12V

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I actually didn’t know it would take 4s until I re-read the description.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I was on the podium today! I got third in Euro Truck.

.... There were only three entries. But damnit, I got a trophy.

Other discoveries: New euro truck body really changes the truck. My USGT car is ~dog slow~. One should carefully run setup on a car before racing it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Nerobro posted:

I was on the podium today! I got third in Euro Truck.

.... There were only three entries. But damnit, I got a trophy.

Other discoveries: New euro truck body really changes the truck. My USGT car is ~dog slow~. One should carefully run setup on a car before racing it.

Trophies are still awesome!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

They are!

I went to the Motiv Indoor Carpet Series this weekend. 350 miles of driving for a day at the r/c track. .... It was a big adventure.

I busted my first arm on a r/c car. I did awfully. But... I had fun.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Nerobro posted:

I had fun.

That's the point! Congrats on third.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Added some mud flaps, brush guard, and spare tire to my Bronco today.

Also, I picked up a Rustler and an e-revo for my son. So much fun on packed snow.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

You're allowed two 30mm fans on 1/10 scale race cars. This is something people usually interpret as two computer style muffin fans.

your'e also allowed one 60mm hole in the body, for cooling. That is 60mm in any dimension.

I can buy 30mm EDF's, that have 120g of thrust. Two of those, 60mm hole... 240g of thrust.

On as little as a 1100g car.

This.... could cause new rules to be written. I'm going to cause the ROAR rulebook to be re-written. *burries face in hands*

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
What makes EDF different from a typical computer fan?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-adf35-100-p-11000kv.html

I've never seen a 30mm computer fan drawing 20 amps at any voltage.

Thrust, or downforce?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Kibner posted:

The average computer fan isn't 300W.

IOwnCalculus posted:

https://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-adf35-100-p-11000kv.html

I've never seen a 30mm computer fan drawing 20 amps at any voltage.

Thrust, or downforce?
Por que no los dos? Intake on the floor pan/diffuser exhaust out the back.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nerobro posted:

You're allowed two 30mm fans on 1/10 scale race cars. This is something people usually interpret as two computer style muffin fans.

your'e also allowed one 60mm hole in the body, for cooling. That is 60mm in any dimension.

I can buy 30mm EDF's, that have 120g of thrust. Two of those, 60mm hole... 240g of thrust.

On as little as a 1100g car.

This.... could cause new rules to be written. I'm going to cause the ROAR rulebook to be re-written. *burries face in hands*

You're allowed two 40mm fans in Australia, but no cooling holes cut in the shell (unless it is nitro/gas cars for air intake). Fan shrouds were banned in Australia for a while a very small number of people were putting dry ice in the shroud to cool the motors better. However the rule has been changed for this year.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Kibner posted:

Better duct design, much bigger motor, bigger ESC.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Thrust, or downforce?

The answer is "yes". Now the question is, will there be a vacuum under the body too.......

evil_bunnY posted:

The average computer fan isn't 300W.

Por que no los dos? Intake on the floor pan/diffuser exhaust out the back.

You're not allowed undertrays or diffusers anymore. That's specific in the rules.

The motors are on their way... so we'll see what happens.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

You're not allowed undertrays or diffusers anymore. That's specific in the rules.
Ye but isn't everyone running a flat AF carbon sheet as a "chassis"? Whenever I see comp 1/10 cars it always bugs me how little aero sense they make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Ye but isn't everyone running a flat AF carbon sheet as a "chassis"? Whenever I see comp 1/10 cars it always bugs me how little aero sense they make.

Yeah, to an extent. At least locally a lot of them also slap a clear plastic sheet on the bottom as a 'protector'.