Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Try to get tofu from an Asian grocery so you know what it's supposed to be like. The tofu at my lmusual western market is absolute crap. Everything else there is great, though..

And be sure to read and try the different types of tofu, like firm vs silk, etc. They're used for different purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

The Maid-Rite sandwich is a delicacy to many :colbert:

Every time I have to drive through Iowa I have a compulsion to stop and grab one and I still don't get it.

See also: runza in Nebraska.

Whatever you do do NOT ask for ketchup.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I tried making chipotle mayo.

I was not successful.

I followed the recipe, subbing lime juice for lemon juice and adding 1/2 teaspoon of adobo sauce and 1 clove garlic.

I did a wire-thin stream of oil and everything.

What wrong?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I gave up meat for lent. Mostly to prove to myself I can do it.

Help. Please share good recipes

Are you counting fish and seafood as meat?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I tried making chipotle mayo.

I was not successful.

I followed the recipe, subbing lime juice for lemon juice and adding 1/2 teaspoon of adobo sauce and 1 clove garlic.

I did a wire-thin stream of oil and everything.

What wrong?

try a blender instead. Get the emulsion going before adding more oil/adobo sauce.
immersion blender mayo is the easiest mayo imho

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The problem with a food processor is you need enough of the water and emulsifier side in there before you add the oil so that the blades can actually mix it when you start adding the oil. Blender/stick blender is a lot easier.

Also sometimes emulsions just fail. Normally that's because you touched yourself when you were young, and Jesus is just now getting around to punishing you.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

If you haven't eaten a lot of tofu in the past, don't trust white people recipes. It's a shame how so many white people gently caress up tofu trying to make it a meat replacement.

So many of my friends hated tofu because their only exposure was through the blogs and cookbooks that try to replace meat in a recipe with tofu.

A well prepared mapo tofu or soondubu jjigae is some of the best eats imo.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/sesame-noodles-with-crispy-tofu

This is my go-to "I can make you enjoy tofu" recipe if I'm cooking for someone who hates spicy food. Tofu's so good, it makes me angry when people just use it as fake meat.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

try a blender instead. Get the emulsion going before adding more oil/adobo sauce.
immersion blender mayo is the easiest mayo imho

I don’t have an immersion blender, would a regular one work?

P.S. I have no loving idea what emulsion is or how it works or how I got the results I did with the aïoli I made yesterday plz explain

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 7, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The problem with a food processor is you need enough of the water and emulsifier side in there before you add the oil so that the blades can actually mix it when you start adding the oil. Blender/stick blender is a lot easier.

Also sometimes emulsions just fail. Normally that's because you touched yourself when you were young, and Jesus is just now getting around to punishing you.

The worst was making literal gallons of dressing at work and the emulsion just deciding not to take.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

P.S. I have no loving idea what emulsion is or how it works or how I got the results I did with the aïoli I made yesterday plz explain
Emulsion's basically when you combine fats and waters properly, usually by whipping or blending or some poo poo like that. You probably got the results yesterday because you were able to properly whip the fats through the other liquids, but this time either you had too much water content and the fats couldn't keep their bonds or you overdid it and broke the emulsion (like you started to 'harden' the fats and the emulsion separates again) or you didn't do it good enough, because emulsifying is really easy right up until the point where it's the worst loving thing in the world and you just want to give up on cooking forever

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Can you cheat a little and add some already emulsified aioli in to help it take?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Casu Marzu posted:

Every time I have to drive through Iowa I have a compulsion to stop and grab one and I still don't get it.

Maid-Rite is like the "hot dish" of the sandwich world. People, for some goddamn reason, like it and I'll never figure it out. I mean, it is isnt terrible, but why do people live it?

Although I will say Iowa has some (well, one each) great Mexican and pan-s.e. Asian places provided you're in one of the extremely few diverse cities. Shout out to my boy Art Cullen who just wrote a book about one of them

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Maestro posted:

Can you cheat a little and add some already emulsified aioli in to help it take?
Other way around. The way you fix a busted egg emulsion is to make another batch by itself, then slowly add the broken emulsion to the working one. If you just try adding a little properly-emulsified emulsion to a broken one you're probably just going to end up with a smear of oil with a blob of emulsion sitting in it.

This is because most emulsions aren't emulsifiers, so just adding a little won't help. The oh-poo poo-why-won't-this-work additive that you probably already have on hand is mustard. Adding a little can help an emulsion that otherwise doesn't seem to want to come together.

These days you should also be able to find egg lecithin (derived, obviously, from eggs) and carrageenan (from seaweed) pretty easily. Both of them are common food emulsifiers (or if we're being pedantic, and I usually am, surfactants) and they're both so safe and cuddly that even the most ~*omg chemicals*~ people should be happy using them.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Personally I find it pretty much just as easy, and quick, to just whisk a batch of mayo together by hand, compared to using a blender or food processor. I feel it gives me more control of the process. Give that a try.

DekeThornton fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 7, 2019

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Don't forget the classic Catholic cheat I still use even though I'm an ex-Catholic and that's fish for some reason isn't considered meat! Why? Don't ask reasonable questions! STFU and eat your fish.

Fun fact! You can also eat gator and beaver as the church has declared those animals fish too! Why? Probably because they taste good.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Capybara? It is a fish during lent. No, no questions, just eat up.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Croatoan posted:

Don't forget the classic Catholic cheat I still use even though I'm an ex-Catholic and that's fish for some reason isn't considered meat! Why? Don't ask reasonable questions! STFU and eat your fish.

Fun fact! You can also eat gator and beaver as the church has declared those animals fish too! Why? Probably because they taste good.
The broad distinction, which far predates modern taxonomy, is between animals that live on the land (like domesticated farm animals, most game animals, and most birds) and animals that live in or on the water (like fish, shellfish, most amphibians, and some birds).

The more finicky distinctions usually date back to the Middle Ages, when most of Europe was Christian and there were way more days on which Christians were expected to observe dietary restrictions. At times when the availability of meat to anyone other than the gentry was comparatively sparse (until the late Middle Ages meat consumption was a tiny fraction of caloric intake for all but the wealthiest), inherently seasonal, and necessarily transitory (there being no refrigeration), there was a lot more effort expended on coming up with reasons why some particular locally-available foodsource deserved special consideration.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well yeah I mean you could say that if you wanted to say a whole bunch of words but

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

despite recent revelations altar boys are considered meat

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sup nerds, I haven't posted things lately but I figured some of you may appreciate an update on things.

The visits at the LGBT clinic, first was fine for checkup. But the follow up about gender stuff was, kind of a bust. Because honestly I hadn't put enough thought into what I wanted, besides the whole "wait, poo poo. I'm a girl." So I didn't get started on HRT then. I was a bit disappointed, but at the same time, I sorta understood I guess why maybe she couldn't, because she's a CNP (Certified Nurse Practioner) and likely has a certain set of criteria she can work by. So I get that.

So I've been going to a therapist to talk about things and figure things out myself. First two visits I just, explained life stuff and things about me. And rambled like I do. Last visit (which was the second one) I realized I was rambling. So I realized I needed to take notes for the next visit, which is the 19th.

Last night, I had a revelation and think I hit on something concrete. To copy it from my notes;
"I feel like I'm living a sort of double life. The work me that my parents also see. And the real me on the inside. And she wants to be the me on the outside. Like, living a double standard, going through the motions seems. Wrong. Like I'm doing ME a disservice by having to be the boy currently on the outside to most people."

So that's news with life for me. Folk that know me online, or in the furry community, know *me* and not just the boy on the outside. I've been posting in the trans thread too, and they've been rad and helpful. I'm glad I had things click, it explains things. And this bit last night. I stayed up to late, got 3ish hours of sleep. But I was still feeling good and at peace all day because I know myself better. Thanks yall for being awesome too. :3:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

despite recent revelations altar boys are considered meat

How do you season an altar boy? Poppers?

Anyways I’m starting to get excited. It’ll be all new recipes for while.

I don’t consider fish meat. Unfortunately, I’m not a douche and won’t reheat fish at work, so it’s dinner only. Frozen salmon and talpia are staples of mine anyways.

I’m planning to meal prep something for the week on Sunday. I’ll post pictures

E: good luck with everything, girl above me

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How do you season an altar boy? Poppers?

Frankincense and myrrh.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

therattle posted:

Frankincense and myrrh.

Ugh, but also lol. And thanks Arrgy. <3

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The best part about lent in Wisconsin is that you can find fish fry 7 days a week instead of just Friday's and a Wednesday occasionally.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Check out this thread for plenty of info.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

Maid-Rite is like the "hot dish" of the sandwich world. People, for some goddamn reason, like it and I'll never figure it out. I mean, it is isnt terrible, but why do people live it?

Although I will say Iowa has some (well, one each) great Mexican and pan-s.e. Asian places provided you're in one of the extremely few diverse cities. Shout out to my boy Art Cullen who just wrote a book about one of them

Maid-Rite is pretty much Iowa distilled onto a bun.

Also, hit me up with those good restaurants. I'm through Iowa enough I'd like to eat something decent for once instead of punishing my taste buds with yet another loosemeat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Casu Marzu posted:

Next time you drive through, stop off in Iowa City and hit up Hamburg Inn No. 2. The pie shakes are great, but they do the inexplicably good Zadar omlet, which has house ground beef and home fries in it. Or do Fong's in Des Moines, because pizza based on Americanized Chinese food is a hell of a fun concept.

Maid Rite is a thing, though. Do not question it, just put it in your face. It's like going to the fair and eating whatever someone presents you on fried on a stick, it is unavoidable.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 8, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Alternatively, the next time you drive through Iowa, keep going, don't stop, just keep going.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Run over every bit of corn you see. They're not people.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

That Works posted:

Alternatively, the next time you drive through Iowa, keep going, don't stop, just keep going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMYGbRO-jmE

You get off the beaten path Cazu or do you stick to I-80 and I-35 and the like?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMYGbRO-jmE

You get off the beaten path Cazu or do you stick to I-80 and I-35 and the like?

A lot of I80 and I35. More off the interstate around Dubuque, though.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I lived in the hellhole that is Steve King country in the nw part of the state so I'm not terribly well versed beyond rest areas along the interstates, unfortunately. If you find yourself going across highway 20 for some reason, La Jaunita's in Storm Lake is a fantastic authentic taqueria serving a surprisingly large Hispanic population for a town in Iowa with 10k or so people. Best lengua taco I've ever had, and they offten have birria de reys or menudo specials. Tacos are $1.25 each iirc.

The same town has a thriving Lao and vietnamese population, and Lakeshore pho is a great value for money. I want to say it is 8 bucks for their large pho and 11 if you wanted it with every protein (brisket, tripe, tendon, steak, fish, etc).

There is a bbq place called Vinny's in Dakota City that I would drive for whenever I was in the mood for bbq. Solid ribs, but I traveled for the brisket and burnt ends. Iowa is very much pork-centric so finding a place that did brisket well was a godsend.

25 or so miles west of Vinny's is my favorite spot for a pork tenderloin sandwich at The Udder Cow in Pocahontas, which is also home to an incredibly ugly statue of the woman who is obviously not a native of Iowa. That place is only open during the summer season though. Get the cheese curds too.

There is a town called Newell about a dozen miles from storm lake which is home to the Newell Locker. They make homemade pork burgers that are legitimately very good and worth driving for, imo. They sell them in 8 packs, and as far as I know, only frozen. Bring a cooler. Their skinless bratwurst are worth a try too, though.

Sac County Catlle Company is just off of Hwy 20 and they serve up a pretty good steak dinner.

That is obviously not along I80 or 35, but it is what I can vouch for

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

So, I just Googled Maid Rite... It's basically a Sloppy Joe, but without the flavor, right? Like a Sauceless Joe.

Is this what they were selling when Roseanne and her sister had the sandwich shop?

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

So, I just Googled Maid Rite... It's basically a Sloppy Joe, but without the flavor, right? Like a Sauceless Joe.

Is this what they were selling when Roseanne and her sister had the sandwich shop?

Yes, boiled loosemeat 'burgers'. Bland, and no thank you. The shakes are ok though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sounds

Gallatin posted:

Yes, boiled loosemeat 'burgers'. Bland, and no thank you. The shakes are ok though.

sounds more like a maid... rong

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Tidy Joe

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

There is something about your homemade goonswithspoons wiki where you keep your notes, and make it easily shareable that I find incredibly charming and great. What I mean to say is, you're great. :)

RE: Tofu. What casu said is 100% spot on. I didn't much care for the stuff, because at the vegan potlucks we went to when I was a kid, they'd add weird stuff to it to make it look and smell like meat. I was raised vegetarian, and brought up to think that meat is gross. That bacony smell would proper turn my stomach (and still does). Just from the smell alone, I was like "NOPE", and avoided. I think I was in either a senior in high schoo--

No. It was college. I had a friend whose dad owned a fancy Chinese buffet. Unlike the crappy ones, you had to pay like $18 for lunch, and even more for dinner. They didn't have a million options, but the ones they did were solid. Anyway. She was pointing out the vegetarian dishes, and one of them was tofu and broccoli rabe (?). I made a face. "What, you don't like broccoli rabe?" "I don't like tofu." She rolled her eyes and put some on my plate. "That's like saying you don't like beans."

Sure as poo poo, that stuff was AWESOME. I experimented with the stuff in Indian recipes. Yup! Still awesome. If you have really good fresh tofu, really good soy sauce, a bit of sesame oil, and some scallions, it's heaven on a plate. Over the years, I've started becoming less forgiving to mistreatment of tofu.I buy it from the Asian market, because they don't charge $2.50 for a 14 oz cube. When I get the 5-lb container, it works out to less than $1/lb.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
As a bonafide meat eater, tofu is great when you make it at home.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I forget the name but a local Chinese does a fried tofu, chicken, rice, egg and veggies thing with like a really rich dark sauce?

That's good, also one of the richest things I've ever eaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Casu Marzu posted:

A lot of I80 and I35. More off the interstate around Dubuque, though.

In Dubuque, go to Pepper Sprout, Brazen (their owner / exec chef was on Top Chef this season), 7 Hills or Caroline's.

Edit: And if you just want a really good bar burger and a cold beer, go to Paul's on Locust Street.