Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Now admittedly I was already several glasses of wine in when it started, but that was everything I want out of an episode of The Flash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nooneofconsequence posted:

They specifically said the cure was only designed for humans.

Ah, true.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Cisco should eat this instead.

lol this looks like it was generated by one of those AI bots that just spit out random lists. I love that water is listed twice.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I am stunned that Cisco didn't volunteer to be the test subject. It seemed like that was totally his arc, yet now it seems like he's perfectly fine with powers again.

But hey, whatever, shark vs gorilla fuckin' ruled.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
There's no way the Flash movie will have anything as remotely cool as this fight scene.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pentyne posted:

There's no way the Flash movie will have anything as remotely cool as this fight scene.

That’s because the Flash movie will never be made :v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm disappointed that when Shay decided to revert the woman didn't say "go get em, tiger shark."

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Guy A. Person posted:

lol

So for the record:

Curing a rampaging animal person who had previously expressed interest in a cure, but after his mental facilities seemed to break down and he couldn't consent -- BAD

Keeping someone in a medically induced coma permanently -- GOOD

TBH I don't even care, I'm thrilled that they seriously held Barry accountable for his awfully one-sided heroics for once.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ok I'm fine with this episode and all but I guess I missed something that happened where Barry and his daughter went from being immobilized to getting up and throwing lightning bolts around

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Guy A. Person posted:

So for the record:

Curing a rampaging animal person who had previously expressed interest in a cure, but after his mental facilities seemed to break down and he couldn't consent -- BAD

Keeping someone in a medically induced coma permanently -- GOOD

Also, what the hell is Cisco and Caitlin's position with regard to weaponising the meta cure? They say they're absolutely against it, but were 100% on board with using it on Cicada against his will, to the point that they acted like Barry was crazy for suggesting giving him a choice?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

WhyteRyce posted:

Ok I'm fine with this episode and all but I guess I missed something that happened where Barry and his daughter went from being immobilized to getting up and throwing lightning bolts around

I think the explanation is that Grodd was able to overcome their anti-mind control headbands, but only when he was focusing; after King Shark appeared, he took that focus away, which let the Flashes get up again.

XboxPants posted:

TBH I don't even care, I'm thrilled that they seriously held Barry accountable for his awfully one-sided heroics for once.

I appreciate Lyla throwing some shade at him about switching her kid's gender

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Joe must have spent his time in Tibet mainlining cheeseburgers because goddamn that's a big vacation paunch.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I dunno I got a kick out of Barry's "old trick" just being running at Grodd and punching him. It's the right level of stupid for him.

"Barry, is that what Heroes do? Robbing people of choice and forcing their will onto them?"
"Hey remember that time my wife literally shot a slightly more evil version of me in the back of the head and we were all cool with it?"

On the other hand, that Grodd v King Shark fight was exactly the reason I keep watching the show. That's probably going to be the best part of the season, isn't it?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The Shape Of King Shark

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

Mortanis posted:

On the other hand, that Grodd v King Shark fight was exactly the reason I keep watching the show. That's probably going to be the best part of the season, isn't it?

Depends

Did the Shark Jump? :p

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

shades of eternity posted:

Depends

Did the Shark Jump? :p

Barry literally jumped over King Shark last time they fought.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Actually, I'm starting to think the writers are deliberately messing with the viewers. On the recap, it goes from Barry saying "there's gotta be something we can do outside the box" cutting to Iris straight up stabbing Cicada, which is hilarious. With the punching bag stuff, and everyone here talking about how basically anyone without powers and an ounce of fighting prowess could end this threat in seconds, I'm starting to wonder if the solution is just Iris throwing down with Cicada and beating the crap out of him while everyone watches, stupefied and shocked.

After Iris capping Savitar, it'd actually be pretty in character and would be absolutely hilarious.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mortanis posted:

Actually, I'm starting to think the writers are deliberately messing with the viewers. On the recap, it goes from Barry saying "there's gotta be something we can do outside the box" cutting to Iris straight up stabbing Cicada, which is hilarious. With the punching bag stuff, and everyone here talking about how basically anyone without powers and an ounce of fighting prowess could end this threat in seconds, I'm starting to wonder if the solution is just Iris throwing down with Cicada and beating the crap out of him while everyone watches, stupefied and shocked.

After Iris capping Savitar, it'd actually be pretty in character and would be absolutely hilarious.

Honestly, if this leads into Iris going full vigilante mode, I'd 100% support it. The SOs of the leads for Flash and Arrow are veering off into wild directions and one has the potential to be really good (Iris basically becoming a shoe-in to be an Arrow team member) and the other to be really terrible (Felicity going hyperparanoid and crazy)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Iris teams up with Manchester Black. Everyone else spends the season hand-wringing about how to beat folks, they grab some guns and get it done.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

I'm glad that Flash exists in the same universe as the Simpsons Meme thread.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I don’t get the whole drama about the cure. If I rob a bank with a gun, I get the gun taken away from me. If I rob a bank with a laser I can shoot from my butt, I should get the buttlaser taken away from me.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

but what if buttlasering is part of your core identity?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tarquinn posted:

I don’t get the whole drama about the cure. If I rob a bank with a gun, I get the gun taken away from me. If I rob a bank with a laser I can shoot from my butt, I should get the buttlaser taken away from me.

It's not even like X-Men where they're born with the powers (they just don't manifest until puberty). These were just ordinary people who randomly got powers from some crazy science disaster a few months/years ago.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean, it’s a bit more complicated and invasive than confiscating a gun. It’s performing a medical procedure on someone. Bodily autonomy is a thing, presumably, even for supervillains.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's just such a weird contrast given how a lot of times in the past defeating the villain involved forcible shutting down their powers anyway or sometimes even outright killing them

Season 1 Flash: "He can't shoot lasers from his hands if he has no hands!"

Season 5 Flash: "Using an over-the-counter insulin injector to neutralize this guy's shark body is a tricky gray area"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think it’s a valid distinction between temporarily counteracting their powers and forcing a treatment on them against their will that permanently changes their biological makeup. And Barry shouldn’t be killing people if he can help it, either, no.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Phylodox posted:

I think it’s a valid distinction between temporarily counteracting their powers and forcing a treatment on them against their will that permanently changes their biological makeup. And Barry shouldn’t be killing people if he can help it, either, no.

A: Their biological makeup was already changed, and it turns out it made them super dangerous. I don't see any problem in changing it back. Especially when it's not a "complicated medical procedure", it's just jabbing them with a needle.

B: Barry and crew should be killing more and more people each season.

Tarquinn posted:

Yeah, I feel like I said exactly this just a week ago. I would even be in favor of manufacturing a line of giant purple robots to hunt down violent metas who won't take the cure.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Tarquinn posted:

It feels more like if someone robbed a bank with kung-fu and they decided to take their arms and legs away.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Phenotype posted:

A: Their biological makeup was already changed, and it turns out it made them super dangerous. I don't see any problem in changing it back. Especially when it's not a "complicated medical procedure", it's just jabbing them with a needle.

Jabbing them with a needle is a medical procedure, one you can’t do to just anyone without their express consent. Just because someone was a victim of an industrial accident doesn’t invalidate their right to bodily integrity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What if they baked the cure into a delicious batch of macaroons?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Phenotype posted:

It's one thing if it's like, Ralph or something, hard to imagine that's gonna make a difference to who he is as a person if he can't stretchy his nose anymore.

But like, what about Grodd? You're basically giving him a forced lobotomy. That's pretty hosed up. Or the example the show gives, of Caitlyn - if the cure worked on someone like her, you'd be erasing an entire person. Even Cecille's powers are pretty strongly integrated into who she is as a person. With someone like Dinah Drake, yeah it's basically like you're just taking her gun away, but with Cecille it's more like you're forcibly removing one of her senses, like you're strapping her down and blinding or deafening her.

And it's pretty hard to tell how deeply a power is part of someone unless you actually are them.

So in the end yes you are right Flash should just murder them that would be more ethical. :unsmigghh:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Jabbing them with a needle is a medical procedure, one you can’t do to just anyone without their express consent. Just because someone was a victim of an industrial accident doesn’t invalidate their right to bodily integrity.

What if it were a laser beam? Or what if it were Melting Point's power? Nothing medical about it.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Also, why didn't they test on Fallout? He's got to be the poster boy for 'wants to get rid of powers' and is still alive at this point.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Because then you don't get a man shark fighting a telepathic gorilla.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Fallout's dead. Surprisingly killed by someone other than Barry.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

oh jay posted:

What if it were a laser beam? Or what if it were Melting Point's power? Nothing medical about it.

You can qualify all you like, it’s still permanently altering their biologies. It’s a violation of bodily autonomy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

8one6 posted:

It feels more like if someone robbed a bank with kung-fu and they decided to take their arms and legs away.

But what if the dark matter explosion caused them to lose their regular limbs and they used their new cyborg ones to do kung fu crimes?????

Phylodox posted:

Are meta humans still considered humans? Are human rights just for humans? :v: I feel like Barry would exploit this loophole.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are meta humans still considered humans? Are human rights just for humans? :v: I feel like Barry would exploit this loophole.

It’s right there in the name.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The Patriot Act doesn't apply to aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Aren't they dealing with these EXACT issues on Supergirl? Man, every DC show is dealing with aliens or superpowered humans or some kind of crazy voodoo this season.